Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, including the Galaxy 2, original Note and Nexus, Samsung is currently offering mobile devices with the following screen sizes: 4.52", 4.65", 4.8", 5.3", 5.5", 5.8", 6.3", 7", 7.7", 8", 10.1", and 11.6".

Jeez, Samsung, what if I want a 5" device? And God help me if I want 9", I'm a full inch away from my nearest option. I don't think their innovation will be done till I can buy a Samsung product in any decimal point size between 4 and 12 inches. Because choice!
  • Reply 102 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So I can use Bluetooth to play Angry Birds, check email and surf the Internet?

If you are doing those things in your car, you are breaking the law in most countries.  Even if you're not getting arrested, you are a terrible human being for doing that sort of thing in the first place.  

• Reply 103 of 166
    solipsismx wrote: »
    These aren't flagship models, they're just enormous.  Their screens are very low resolution for the size (1280x720 for the 6.3 in model and 960x540 for the 5.8 incher).  Beyond that, they have last generation processors and only 75% of the RAM of current flagships.

I think the 6.8" model also fails to support LTE.

That said, for the intended markets it may be exactly what they need. Large and low cost. I'd think it's for people that don't have a great deal of disposable income, therefore not being able to buy multiple devices. A really large phone that doubles as a tablet could be a low cost replacement for each, and perhaps a 'PC'.

Mmm... I think a phone that size is unwieldy... at the same time, I, at most make 5 calls per day -- even during the 3 grandkids' busy soccer season (3 teams with 2 practices and 1 game each per week). I would prefer to carry only an iPad (or an iPad Mini) with me everywhere -- instead of carrying my iPhone too. I would use the iPad for the infrequent phone call. This (an iPad) is certainly not my only computer -- but it is the most convenient for my use when out and about.

Along with the thought of wanting to carry something bigger (and more capable) than my iPhone, I posted the following to another forum:
    You are correct about mobile payments... but I prefer to think of this as "personal purchasing power"...

Several years ago, KDDI the Japanese Telecom had a series of videos on their web site called "Knock! Knock! Ubiquitous".

The videos showed integration of mobile video devices containing: chat, telephony, GPS, mapping, etc, into the daily lives of average users... from buying lunch from a food truck; making ride reservations and purchasing "tickets" to an amusement (including transportation to the park); buying "virtual" real-time golf lessons with a pro (combining your TV as output and your mobile device as input for swing analysis; finding nearby store that had that certain product for sale, getting directions to the store, buying it and scheduling delivery...

I wish those videos were available today -- as every futuristic concept is coming true... I believe we are on the verge of becoming a moneyless society...

One thing that really stands out in my memory was the mobile device -- It was about the size of the new Sammy 6.3" phone but was used like a tablet (mostly in landscape mode). It was a completely transparent rectangle slab -- with, maybe, a thin black border on each end (1/4 inch wide at most).

It, and the services it provided, were ubiquitous!

IMO, Apple is the only company in the world with the financial resources to accomplish this -- and it already has most of the hardware and supporting infrastructure in place.

"[Purchasing] Power to the People!"

• Reply 104 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

Put in a pocket. image

• Reply 105 of 166
    I'm surprised Samsung doesn't sell a pi phone with a screen size exactly equal to pi inches. Exactly, as in, infinitely precise.
  • Reply 106 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I can fit 10" in my jeans.  LOL

percentage of guys who say they have 10" in their jeans?  >60%

percentage of guys who actually have 10" in their jeans? <2%

• Reply 107 of 166
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

These aren't flagship models, they're just enormous.  Their screens are very low resolution for the size (1280x720 for the 6.3 in model and 960x540 for the 5.8 incher).  Beyond that, they have last generation processors and only 75% of the RAM of current flagships.

Indeed

The general consensus is that they will be cheaper than the Note.

I for one see nothing wrong with providing your customers with choice. Sadly Samsung seem to be one of the firm firms standing that is happy to provide niche phones.

• Reply 108 of 166
    clemynx wrote: »
    Even if it was the best device ever this is just fucking too big. How ridiculous people will look with this at their ear.

My casual observation is that the geeks who buy this thing won't call anyone because they would use it as a tablet 99.9% of the time. For that 0.01% of the time, they would look ridiculous.

If not looking ridiculous was a priority, they'd have an iPhone 5 like the beautiful people.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Even if it was the best device ever this is just fucking too big. How ridiculous people will look with this at their ear.

Just avert your eyes.

• Reply 110 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Now I have Kirsty MacColl's "In These Shoes?" stuck in my head.

I've got a powerful horse outside.

I thought I was the only Kirsty MacColl fan left.

• Reply 111 of 166
    sandorsandor Posts: 663member
    Market? NBA players. It seems to be proportionally proper for a 6' 6" - 7' tall individual and their hands...

Maybe?
  • Reply 112 of 166
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I've always thought Apple should do a series of TV commercials along the lines of "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it."  But they are probably too prudish to do such a thing.  It would go over big in Europe and other more modern countries but it's perhaps a bit to risqué for the US.  

I'm envisioning a female lead who is new to a city and has a series of encounters with men during her day as she asks them for directions or whatever.  Each guy takes the opportunity to show off their giant, manly phones, each bigger than the one previous, each man bragging just a little bit more, each looking a little more pathetic than the one before them.  They all fail to help her in one way or another until she meets someone with an iPhone 5 who immediately is able to answer her questions and help her out in record time.  Then the tag line of course.  

I like this idea.

First guy: Has a pocketful of replaceable batteries. Shows the battery run down and he swaps the batteries. While swapping he drops the phone and the screen cracks as all the removable parts fall out. Eventually he gets the new battery inserted. He starts the phone and watches the battery drain.

She sees all this as she is recording a movie while he is in the background. She then edits the movie with iMovie.

Second guy: Has a pocketful of removable storage. Fumbles in his pocket for the right SD card. Finally finds the right SD card and inserts into phone. Immediately, the screen crashes and it becomes obvious the phone has a virus.

She quickly loads the same app to her phone from iCloud.

Third guy: Asks her for directions. He can't find his destination on his cosmic-sized phone.

She asks Siri for directions. She then asks Siri for movie times and reserves a table at a restaurant.
  • Reply 113 of 166
    charlituna wrote: »
    It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way

That's what she said. ;)

I've always thought Apple should do a series of TV commercials along the lines of "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it."  But they are probably too prudish to do such a thing.  It would go over big in Europe and other more modern countries but it's perhaps a bit to risqué for the US.  

I'm envisioning a female lead who is new to a city and has a series of encounters with men during her day as she asks them for directions or whatever.  Each guy takes the opportunity to show off their giant, manly phones, each bigger than the one previous, each man bragging just a little bit more, each looking a little more pathetic than the one before them.  They all fail to help her in one way or another until she meets someone with an iPhone 5 who immediately is able to answer her questions and help her out in record time.  Then the tag line of course.  

I like it!

Aside from the ad idea. I am especially interested in your characterization "Europe and other more modern countries".
  • Reply 114 of 166
    I'm afraid Apple needs to follow suit here.

how about for the next iphone:

iPhone 6 4inch
    iPhone 6 5inch
    iPhone 6 6inch

IT NEEDS TO COME IN 3 SIZES!!!!
  • Reply 115 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    igriv wrote: »
    Steve was talking about major directions, not minor tweaks. If the customer wants a 6.3" phone, why not give it to him? It is otherwise the same as a 4.5" phone, just, um, bigger.

I want a 5.789" phone and not a micron too big or small. Please Sammy, make it for me.

Look, I believe Apple will offer a 5"er in addition to the 4". but they aren't gonna make 20 different sizes.
    If you are doing those things in your car, you are breaking the law in most countries.  Even if you're not getting arrested, you are a terrible human being for doing that sort of thing in the first place.  

Chill. Jk= just kidding. I hate people who drive with a cell phone in his/her hand.
  • Reply 116 of 166
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If not looking ridiculous was a priority, they'd have an iPhone 5 like the beautiful people.

Does this look ridiculous?

That's how I make phone calls.

• Reply 117 of 166
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've got a powerful horse outside.

I thought I was the only Kirsty MacColl fan left.

I was lucky enough to work for her shortly after she had finished Tropical Brainstorm.

IMO she really was one of the best singers of her generation and producing some of her best work.

• Reply 118 of 166
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Mmm... I think a phone that size is unwieldy... at the same time, I, at most make 5 calls per day -- even during the 3 grandkids' busy soccer season (3 teams with 2 practices and 1 game each per week). I would prefer to carry only an iPad (or an iPad Mini) with me everywhere -- instead of carrying my iPhone too. I would use the iPad for the infrequent phone call. This (an iPad) is certainly not my only computer -- but it is the most convenient for my use when out and about.

I don't think we should look at this budget phablet from our PoV. Europe as a whole seems to be much heavier as texters than talkers on cellphones. If they do use the phone to make a call there is always headphones. I fall into this category. I can't recall the last time I put the phone up to my ear. It just feels dirty and awkward to use that way.

Think about it. Say you live in an impoverish country or city where unemployment is above 15%. You don't have the subsidies like you have in the US to help reduce upfront costs and you don't have LTE at all. You can afford a mediocre smartphone -or- a mediocre tablet -or- a cheap PC. You do feel you need to the option to call people in a pinch and do want it for using the internet but you aren't some power user that needs to compile your latest 'Hello World" app or edit videos. Which one do you buy?The 5.8" Galaxy Mega might be the perfect fit. Apple certainly don't offer anything for that market.
  • Reply 119 of 166
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I'm afraid Apple needs to follow suit here.

how about for the next iphone:

iPhone 6 4inch

iPhone 6 5inch

iPhone 6 6inch

IT NEEDS TO COME IN 3 SIZES!!!!

Apple "needs" nothing. The iPhone "needs" nothing.

• Reply 120 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple "needs" nothing. The iPhone "needs" nothing.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

You NEED a sense of humor.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }