Adobe goes subscription-only, rebrands Creative Suite as Creative Cloud

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

With extensive control over menus?

I wouldn't see why not. What, really, could be supported on Adobe's software that isn't in Apple's?

• Reply 41 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The software is downloaded and installed on your computer just like it always has. It only checks in once a month to see if your subscription is up-to-date.

The Cloud storage and other services are optional.

It's a very confusing name... but the software is still installed and runs locally from your computer.

So, when you decide you no longer want to pay the monthly fee... Your applications disappear and you're only left with the files you created, right?

• Reply 43 of 180
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member

I was going to get Dreamweaver, cause I don't other Adobe stuff… Oops - Apple just DISCONTINUED it!!!

Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS5.5 Product No Longer Available http://j.mp/ZLHf4l ;

And it's not available on Adobe's Site either:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html ;

I did my site in DW8 and I occasionally tweak it. I don't need any other stuff from Adobe. But now they want me to pay $600 EVERY YEAR?! INSANE!!! I'm VERY ANGRY about this! 

My option would be either to re-do my site in iWeb, which has been discontinued, or find some other applications! Wordpress comes to mind. But I wonder if it will do the Templates like DW does, where one can Edit a Template, and All Pages based on that Template will be Updated Automatically? 

What else is out there to replace my DW? 

Has anyone here tried http://www.squarespace.com or any such services? 

• Reply 44 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Coda. You'll never go back.

• Reply 45 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Another issue that this solves for Adobe (and to a certain degree the end users) is that they don't have to upgrade all of their software on the same schedule. With the previous business model, customers were paying for a few applications with major updates and the rest with minor bug fixes. This was especially apparent in the CS 5 to CS 5.5 upgrade. With the subscription model you can upgrade as soon as a new version of each application becomes available or is needed.

• Reply 46 of 180
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

Adobe? Is anybody still using their intrusive bloatware?

• Reply 47 of 180
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    So, when you decide you no longer want to pay the monthly fee... Your applications disappear and you're only left with the files you created, right?

Yep.

That's the nature of a software subscription.
  • Reply 48 of 180

Quote:

Yep.

That's the nature of a software subscription.

Yes, evidently.

Having said that, I cannot fathom upgrading beyond CS6 under any circumstances. I eagerly await Apple's response, if any.

• Reply 49 of 180
    macologist wrote: »
    I did my site in DW8 and I occasionally tweak it. I don't need any other stuff from Adobe. But now they want me to pay $600 EVERY YEAR?! INSANE!!! I'm VERY ANGRY about this! 

My option would be either to re-do my site in iWeb, which has been discontinued, or find some other applications! Wordpress comes to mind. But I wonder if it will do the Templates like DW does, where one can Edit a Template, and All Pages based on that Template will be Updated Automatically? 

Has anyone here tried http://www.squarespace.com or any such services? 

To be clear... that $600 a year is for the entire Adobe software suite... every professional-level program Adobe makes.

I think you can still pay for a subscription to an individual program like Dreamweaver... but it's still likely more than you'd want to spend.
  • Reply 50 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

With the subscription model you can upgrade as soon as a new version of each application becomes available or is needed.

This is just an assumption. Suppose they demand a higher monthly fee for an upgraded version? Suppose there are many more tiers of pricing they roll out once enough subscribers have been added? No. I don't like it. I hate subscription payments.

• Reply 51 of 180
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    This is what I never liked from the Internet, ie, when it gives more control to companies and less power to users. It all began with apps that install without letting you have a backup of the complete installer. And of course, what Adobe wants to do now is the golden dream of every software company: make the used depend on being always connected to you.

This was worrying a decade ago, when all serious software was commercial. However, nowadays there're serious (very professional) free alternatives in almost every software category, so if any company tries to live this golden dream of the Internet, they'll fail.
  • Reply 52 of 180

Quote:

To be clear... that $600 a year is for the entire Adobe software suite... every professional-level program Adobe makes.

I think you can still pay for a subscription to an individual program like Dreamweaver... but it's still likely more than you'd want to spend.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

• Reply 53 of 180
    Yes, evidently.

Having said that, I cannot fathom upgrading beyond CS6 under any circumstances. I eagerly await Apple's response, if any.

Judging by Apple's recent history in pro-level apps... do you really expect them to have a response?

Apple is still, by far, a hardware-focused vendor.

If anyone will challenge Photoshop and other professional Adobe apps... I don't think it will be Apple.
  • Reply 54 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by macologist View Post

You can subscribe to Dreamweaver CC version for $19.99 a month

or buy Coda is $99 $75 up front.

• Reply 55 of 180
    dontuwishdontuwish Posts: 19member

For Apple products, I stick to an every third generation upgrade policy. For Adobe, it seems to be closer to every second generation. This is due to the Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. marketing that sells the user they need to upgrade every iteration. Not so, in my mind.

With the cloud based model, you will pay for every upgrade, even if the reviews verify that there are not enough compelling features to do so. Many of the professionals I follow, were using PS 5, even though PS 6 had been available for some time. To those claiming piracy, low usage, etc. as the reason for the complaining, your arguments don't hold water, for me anyway, and makes it seem like you have some financial relationship with Adobe. Maybe not, but that is the feeling I get....

• Reply 56 of 180

I disagree that non-professionals should migrate away from Photoshop.  Why?  A talented non-professional (aka: artist) could kick the ass of a hack professional any day. Why should they have limited tools?  Part of what I used to like about Adobe was that their software offered a very generous palette of tools and possibilities at a relatively affordable price point.  That was many years ago and over the last several we've seen the updates prices sky-rocket unfairly and now this... It's a little depressing.  

• Reply 57 of 180
    As a professional web developer I have already replaced much of my Adobe software, but this is the icing on the cake, I will not pay a subscription fee for my software indefinitely. I will look for a Fireworks replacement and never look back.
  • Reply 58 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentagniello View Post

I disagree that non-professionals should migrate away from Photoshop.  Why?  A talented non-professional (aka: artist) could kick the ass of a hack professional any day. Why should they have limited tools?  Part of what I used to like about Adobe was that their software offered a very generous palette of tools and possibilities at a relatively affordable price point.  That was many years ago and over the last several we've seen the updates prices sky-rocket unfairly and now this... It's a little depressing.  

Just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking Adobe needs to go this route or their business options are very limited in the future.

• Reply 59 of 180

How so?

• Reply 60 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

With the subscription model you can upgrade as soon as a new version of each application becomes available or is needed.

This is just an assumption. Suppose they demand a higher monthly fee for an upgraded version? Suppose there are many more tiers of pricing they roll out once enough subscribers have been added? No. I don't like it. I hate subscription payments.

No, it is part of the annual contract. You get the new apps as soon as they come out with no additional charge during your annual renewal plan. I don't know, perhaps they will cancel the whole thing if they get a huge number of user complaints, but I doubt they would be so aggressive with this new model if they weren't totally convinced of advantages and the acceptance from their core customers. It is interesting to note that they left Acrobat out of this subscription only program which I suspect is indicative of the primary customer being corporate users who are not set up to have digital subscriptions for every seat especially with the IT lock downs. They also left out Lightroom as I suppose professional photographers are often out on location and may not be able to revalidate their credentials. Although those two applications come with CC it looks like you can still buy to own them.