Adobe goes subscription-only, rebrands Creative Suite as Creative Cloud

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    This move sucks for pirates but isn't such as a bad deal for professionals who pay for the software. Creative Suite is an industry-leading software package and is priced appropriately.

There's many ideological reasons why people hate renting software. However, if you check of the EULA of any software package, you'll realise that you don't own your existing software either.
  • Reply 62 of 180
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member

Thanks!

It looks like you can pay $20 a month for a single program.

Then again... for $50 a month you get EVERY program Adobe makes. It all depends on how much of Adobe's software you use (and make money with)

I use quite a few Adobe programs for my business: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro and Encore, and I will eventually learn After Effects. I use Audition and Acrobat occasionally too. Oh and Illustrator once in a while.

So for me it's not a big deal. $50 a month is a drop in the bucket compared to what I make using those software tools. And I can save my money for hardware expenses.

But I totally understand the aversion to software subscriptions. It's clearly not for everybody.

Let's see what alternatives are spawned from other software makers.
  • Reply 63 of 180
    But why then would I bring my/any laptop on a road trip? I mean, what's the bloody point? I'd much rather sit on the village green and edit video and images under a cloudless sky than sit in a WINDOWLESS EDIT BOOTH.

Pixelmator is pretty good - they need about 6 months and a couple more coders to be at the Pshop level (being optimistic) and FCP X is almost ready *sigh*
  • Reply 64 of 180
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    Wonder what this means for higher-ed institutions.
  • Reply 65 of 180
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    CS5 still fulfills all my needs, and is paid for.

And far cheaper alternatives are nipping at their heels.

Adobe 2013 = Microsoft 1990s.

Buh-bye...

• Reply 66 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I hate the new icons. I was so happy when they bailed on the artsy icons in favor of the periodic table style. Now they are back to a crazy impressionism style which only makes it more difficult to quickly recognize the icon. I like the CS 6 version based on large font and color coding.

• Reply 67 of 180
    This is ridiculous!!! It's bad enough they hose you for these barely incremental performance updates they refer to as upgrades but now they want to collect money from us every month. No thanks I'll stick with CS6.
  • Reply 68 of 180
    thetorreythetorrey Posts: 80member
    CNET should do a poll on who will continue to use Adobe subscription based products. Let's send a message instead of just bitching in the comments section.
  • Reply 69 of 180
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 654member

Here are my Adobe purchases over the years (just the CS Suites... I have tons of others):

Looks like that last one there, CS6 Master Suite, will be the last Adobe purchase I make.

Sad too. They were on the cusp of running Avid out of town and winning the race in the video field since Apple screwed the intro to FCPX...

I guess not all that sad really.

• Reply 70 of 180
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Here's the conversation that will happen with my boss.

Me: Adobe moved to an entirely subscription based service.
    Boss: What does that mean?
    Me: You have to pay $50 a month to use their software.
    Boss: Guess you better start researching alternative software.

You listening Apple?

More likely,
    Boss: no problem, we'll just take $50 a month off your salary. Geez is that what we're paying you?? We'll take $100 off. Wow, this new software is saving us $50 a month.
    Why not wait a year or two until Adobe's a month from bankruptcy due to this travesty
    Sounds like they might be desperate. Anyone savvy as to their current financials?

Don't you remember this article?:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/20/creative-suite-subscriptions-pay-off-as-adobe-raises-profit-forecast

"Adobe says its Creative Cloud subscriber tally now exceeds 500,000 paid individual members, with more than two million free and trial memberships.

Off the success of Creative Cloud, Adobe raised its full-year adjusted earnings forecast to $1.45 per share, up from $1.40 per share. Analysts had predicted about $1.41 per share. Adobe now forecasts full-year revenue of about $4.1 billion."

It seems to be getting positive reviews too:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/reviews.html

As always, you have to weigh up these decisions from the company's point of view. A subscription model future-proofs their revenue stream because they don't have to convince people to buy upgrades by holding back lots of small features and then market those features. The CS Suite isn't really a features package any more. Adobe is also well aware of how many people don't pay for their software.

People have subscriptions for loads of things: cable, internet, mobile phone, insurance, rent, servers/hosting and few of those have any hope of helping them earn money.

I do think $50/month is high for individuals and I'd rather it was $20-30/month for single users and higher for businesses as businesses can claim tax but they can do this once they get the users on board. Raising prices later is hard, lowering them is easy.

Having a sustained revenue stream also gives them the opportunity to do things like buy Maxon and bundle their software in with the Cloud package:

http://landingpage.maxon.net/?lang=en

I expect Autodesk will consider doing this sort of license model too. Contrary to what people are saying here, this model actually makes it easier for individuals to legally use high-end software packages.
    So, when you decide you no longer want to pay the monthly fee... Your applications disappear and you're only left with the files you created, right?

What would be quite good is if they just put the apps into a read-only mode that allowed you to open documents and export.
  • Reply 71 of 180
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    There's no way in hell I am paying a subscription. No way in hell.

Pixelmator (etc) your time has come..
  • Reply 72 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Don't you remember this article?:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/20/creative-suite-subscriptions-pay-off-as-adobe-raises-profit-forecast

"Adobe says its Creative Cloud subscriber tally now exceeds 500,000 paid individual members, with more than two million free and trial memberships.

Off the success of Creative Cloud, Adobe raised its full-year adjusted earnings forecast to $1.45 per share, up from $1.40 per share. Analysts had predicted about $1.41 per share. Adobe now forecasts full-year revenue of about $4.1 billion."

Thing is, are those projections taking into account the fact that they aren't selling software at all anymore? Did they cut out their revenue stream from software actually being sold?

• Reply 73 of 180
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

I'm trying to not have a knee-jerk reaction to Adobe's announcement, but it's hard.

Since Adobe last changed their strategy and started the suite-centric approach, I've had to buy bundled apps that I don't use in order to get the ones I needed. This didn't bother me much, since the total cost of the suite was lower then buying piece meal.  That said, I tend to be fairly slow to upgrade, and generally upgrade every other version or so.

Based on a quick calculation, I think Adobe's latest move will effectively double my cost of using their products. I am also not excited about the subscription model in general.  On the upside, I will now access to even more software that I don't need.

• Reply 74 of 180

BYE BYE ADOBE!

I will hang on to CS6 until Apple or someone else comes up with a replacement to fill the gap. I don't see most people spending what Adobe wants. Anyone holding Adobe stock should panic right now.

• Reply 75 of 180
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member

Not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand I am tired of having to spend a small fortune on software every other version.

But on the other hand I don't know if I want a software distro dictating to me what what I use and when.

Having just finally upgrading to CS6 I am now set for a while now and have time to decide what I will do.

That being said I have already spent 20 to 30 minutes looking at alternatives to CS or rather CC now.

What does that say for Adobe... I have a product suite that will hold me for at least 2 years yet I am already looking for alternatives.

I think most major software vendors will move to this model at least high end / professional software i.e AutoCad, Solid Works, Adobe and dare I say APPLE.

I can see Apple taking a wait and see move for their path forward as they are now without Mr. Jobs to set a path forward.

It will take some time for me to get comfortable with this new paradigm shift from the software vendors, not un-like when everything went to online activation.

• Reply 76 of 180
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    O
    mstone wrote: »
    That is a good point. Another interesting scenario is that an agency might get a huge job and need to scale up quickly but just for a couple months until the project is complete. They could opt for the month to month plan and then cancel once they don't need all those licenses. Good way to budget your money. With the non-subscription plan they would go broke before they ever got the first check from the client.
    Yes, because there is a huge pool of idle creative talent sitting out there that uses Adobe products every day, but doesn't own the software themselves, just waiting for such a situation. </snark>
    If you do a quick ramp of professionals for a contract job, you can bet they will bring their own tools. Are you implying that same agency would also buy workstations for all of the contractors, and somehow not go broke at the same time?
  • Reply 77 of 180
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    That's the end of me using any new versions of anything by Adobe.

As the posts above: No. Just, NO.

i do NOT do subscription ANYTHING.

i can afford to buy a license of something now and then, not subscribe. This further eliminates low income people and will further ENCOURAGE piracy.

Adobe has finally become fully evil. What an end of a great set of products (which had been sliding into bloated Microsoft-ish territory for several major releases already).
  • Reply 78 of 180
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    One of the things about "creatives" in general, especially those providing freelance photo/design services, is that they often need to manage cash flow creatively.

With a subscription-based model like this, if things got tight for even one month, and you couldn't maintain the subscription, you'd lose the ability to earn!

Nope%u2026 I would never, EVER depend on a subscription model if it could potentially impact my ability to earn like that%u2026

I upgraded my CS package, and that lasted for almost three years before I jumped to the next upgrade%u2026 all at once, with no lingering costs or uncertainty. I bought it, and can use it indefinitely.

A subscription model means I must outlay constantly, and if I can't (due to economic downturns like the current one, or whatever), even briefly, I lose the ability to earn?

Never%u2026 really, just never...
  • Reply 79 of 180
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Why do you think you'll be locked in after two years from now? Go back to CS 6 or choose an alternative if they raise the price to $100. If you don't feel it's worth it, then stop using it then.

Photoshop by itself is $240/year.

Then your boss is an idiot. For one, it becomes an operating expense rather than a capital expense, and should be favourable come tax time. That's why companies lease equipment rather than buying it. And two, counting upgrades, assuming you use more than two of their apps, you probably paid more than $50/month on average if you upgraded every time to keep current. If you use one or two adobe apps, then rent those individually for $20/month each.

You just snarked at and disparaged three different people here. If you are "on Adobe's side", you sure aren't winning any converts by trying to invalidate our perspectives or make us out to be "idiots".

Here's why I think I'd be locked in after two years: It's SUBSCRIPTION ONLY.

I'd have to pay a monthly or annual fee to continue use of the software that I depend on for income. If, for any reason (like a severe economic downturn) I temporarily couldn't afford to continue ongoing SUBSCRIPTION payments, using the current licensing model I can STILL WORK… using the Subscription model means I CAN'T continue earning.

Your suggestion "Go back to CS 6 or choose an alternative if they raise the price to $100…"? How is that different from what I said? "I'll keep CS 6 as long as I can, and by then hope for a reasonable replacement."

If I don't feel it's "worth it" stop using it? What a ridiculous assertion. Besides, that COMPLETELY isn't the point. I wouldn't be using Creative Suite to begin with if I "didn't think it was worth it". I depend on it for part of my income.

It isn't worth it if it means I'm dependent on their subscription-based model to earn… that's the equivalent of "indentured ownership", and I won't participate in it. 

So yeah, "choose an alternative"… I'll be researching that in earnest...

• Reply 80 of 180
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member

I'd be less annoyed by this if each recent version weren't buggier than the last one. I keep up to date with the three Adobe products I use (and yes, I do pay for them) to maintain compatibility with OS updates and with other freelancers I work with, and each upgrade comes with a period of learning the workarounds for the new bugs. The last version of Illustrator went a step further by actually removing features I've relied on for years with my web development workflow.

Now my cost to use these products will roughly double and I'll lose the flexibility to time the upgrades for when I actually need them -- with no benefit that I can see. Thanks Adobe.