• Reply 21 of 68
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

forgot your /s cos you know someone will read it wrong

not quick enough to prevent post #16

• Reply 22 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Oh, I have a problem with iTunes. A major one, that I'd forgotten until now. If I'm watching or listening to something while copying something new in, when the new thing is done, I'm instantly ripped out of what I'm doing and the new thing starts playing.

GO STICK A FORK IN YOUR EYE, ITUNES. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT I WOULD EVER WANT TO PLAY THIS NEW THING IMMEDIATELY, MUCH LESS WHEN I'M ACTIVELY WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE?!

I think way back when that actually used to be a setting that you could change. There were a lot of settings they've taken away since… I dunno iTunes 6… that would be nice.

• Reply 23 of 68
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

One thing I wish you could do in iTunes is the ability to tie two songs together so even if on shuffle they'll always be played back to back

For quite a long time iTunes has allowed users to join tracks.  I've done this a number of times myself.  The caveat being, you can only do it when ripping a songs from a CD.  Also, in iTunes 11, the option is a bit more hidden than in previous versions.  You can follow the instructions at the below link to learn how to do it.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/joining-cd-tracks-in-itunes-11/

• Reply 24 of 68
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member

Why is it that when I am in the Music Library, Songs view (with the Sidebar visible, which I prefer), viewing an Artist and showing all Albums and playing a track, if I go to iTunes Store to browse, and then back to Music Library, I end up at the top of my Library (in the A's) and not where I was before?

If I do the very same thing, but with the Sidebar hidden, I end up exactly where I was before.  Can someone try this and confirm it's a bug?

Why can't iTunes behave like a browser, with a back and forward button, that always takes you where you were before?

Also, I still prefer to have the Album Art showing in the sidebar too.  I thought this update would bring that back.

Can someone tell me how 2-disc sets are supposed to show up as one Album?  I have many in my Library that still show up as separate Albums; they are currently tagged Disc 1 of 2 and Disc 2 of 2.

• Reply 25 of 68

I like the default cover art view of "Album", but it's true, It would be nice to have some control over the size of cover art beyond adjusting the window size. Maybe it has something to do with the "Album Expanded" view... either way... it's still my favourite way to browse my collection.

• Reply 26 of 68
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Not downloading iTunes 11 till they bring back multiple playlist windows. Useless without it. Disappointed to not see it in this update.
  • Reply 27 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Can someone tell me how 2-disc sets are supposed to show up as one Album?  I have many in my Library that still show up as separate Albums; they are currently tagged Disc 1 of 2 and Disc 2 of 2.

Previously, if you had a double album, the expanded view would line them all up in one list (like Track 10,11,12, 1, 2, 3). Now in expanded view it has a "Disk One" (Track 1, 2, 3...) and below it, "Disk Two" (Track 1, 2, 3...).

• Reply 28 of 68
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I have a problem with iTunes. A major one, that I'd forgotten until now. If I'm watching or listening to something while copying something new in, when the new thing is done, I'm instantly ripped out of what I'm doing and the new thing starts playing.

iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock.  I think it's always been this way.

If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

• Reply 29 of 68

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock. If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

That's crazy. That's Microsoft-level stupidity.

Thanks, though.

• Reply 30 of 68
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Previously, if you had a double album, the expanded view would line them all up in one list (like Track 10,11,12, 1, 2, 3). Now in expanded view it has a "Disk One" (Track 1, 2, 3...) and below it, "Disk Two" (Track 1, 2, 3...).

Is it only for iTunes purchases?  Mine are ripped from CD's and they do not show that way.

• Reply 31 of 68

Nope, I verified with a few I input myself (Beatles White Album as well as Floyd's The Wall I imported from vinyl) worked just fine. All I had was the disk info entered (Disk 1 of 2) and the Album field with just the album name (not "The Wall, Disk 1" for example).

• Reply 32 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

iTunes will automatically start playing files that are imported by dragging them to the icon in the Dock.  I think it's always been this way.

If you don't want the files to automatically play, use the  file>Add to Library option and the files will be added but won't instantly play.

Quote:

That's crazy. That's Microsoft-level stupidity.

Thanks, though.

Really? That seems natural to me. It's not a folder, it's an application. It is like dragging photos to Photoshop and not expecting the app to open them. The File>Add to Library works, so does dragging them into the window, not the icon. Both methods will add the tracks to your library without initiating play.

• Reply 33 of 68
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    drblank wrote: »
    I don't see how Apple can do anything about that.  You have to just figure out what you like and don't like and do it that way.  I don't like Rap music, but I don't think Apple is going to remove it from existence.

My tastes should not be my responsibility.

Apple has billions in the bank, most of which it doesn' t pay tax on, yet still allows more than a single category of music within the iTunes ecosystem.

As a shareholder and a customer, especially a long-standing one that owes three Macs, six iPods, two iPhones, and an iPad 4, this is just downright confusing, and this kind of fragmentation is unacceptable in this day and age.

Apple really needs to be more 'open' (like Google) when it comes to presenting me with a choices that I shouldn't be allowed to make.

This would never have happened if Steve Jobs were alive.

EDIT: Sorry about the rant but the low repairability of the latest version of iTunes really frustrates me, especially after it failed the latest series of drop-tests by various tech sites.
  • Reply 34 of 68

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

It is like dragging photos to Photoshop and not expecting the app to open them.

Opening and forcibly drawing focus to are wholly different.

• Reply 35 of 68
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Still waiting for the ability to combine accounts. Having separate accounts was fine when we were dating, but after fifteen years of marriage we are ready to trust one another's musical behavior.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    I miss version 10's browser. Artist browser column on the left, songs on the right. I honestly can't imagine how anyone uses the other views productively.
  • Reply 37 of 68

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Still waiting for the ability to combine accounts. Having separate accounts was fine when we were dating, but after fifteen years of marriage we are ready to trust one another's musical behavior.

Darn time travelers, having iTunes accounts before iTunes existed!

• Reply 38 of 68

Quote:

Opening and forcibly drawing focus to are wholly different.

I guess it depends on how you look at the app. To me, and this is just my opinion (though it looks like the iTunes dev team agrees with me on this) when you drag a song onto the icon, that means you want to hear it while you may be doing something else, say you are surfing. Since your focus is elsewhere it's not assuming you want to edit the tag info or add it to a playlist, you want it to play. Whereas if you have the iTunes window open, dragging it into that window doesn't initiate play because you may be organizing, adding art or retagging. It's how it has always been and seems second nature, to me at least anyways.

• Reply 39 of 68
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

think I got trolled.

• Reply 40 of 68
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

One thing I wish you could do in iTunes is the ability to tie two songs together so even if on shuffle they'll always be played back to back

Here's how you do it (in version 10, anyway):

Select the songs you want to play together. Select Get Info from the File Menu or type Command-I. Put something unique in the Grouping field. Click the OK button.

Voila! Songs with the same group value will now play as a group.