Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Seven years and this is what you post? 

LOL. Seven years is about the span between console generations. Meanwhile, Macs and iPads get annual spec bumps...
  • Reply 62 of 150
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    KIN ONE
  • Reply 63 of 150
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

• Reply 64 of 150
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Exactly. Made me think back to the whole OS2 issue Microsoft had with IBM wanting to pay for KLOCs (thousand lines of code) and Microsoft saying fewer lines is better. Here they are now touting a number that meaningless as the extra transistors may just mean bad design. It certainly doesn't make me think about power efficiency.
    How exactly is being able to put more transistors into a smaller or similar size die "bad design"?  Your statement about how it doesn't make you think about power efficiency is equally baffling.  The shrinking of the transistors means that you can lower the voltage and decrease power consumption while still gaining in performance.  So it's far more efficient in performance/watt especially since it's pretty much guaranteed that the CPU die will be either equal in size or smaller than the 360 as well.

Sorry, saying 5 billion transistors doesn't mean they shrunk anything. All other things being equal, having a higher transistor count negatively affects power consumption. I didn't read how many chips makeup the 5 billion total either, but the impression from the wording was that it was the entire system (however many that is). The stat by itself is meaningless.
  • Reply 65 of 150
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Reminds me of the movie "That Thing You Do" when the musical group first called themselves "The Oneders"...

• Reply 66 of 150
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    When Apple realized they were more than a computer company, they changed their name to just Apple. Now, with the failure of Windows 8, and with their focus on new hardware (Mobile Phones, Surface, XBox), as well as considering their shrinking popularity and fortunes, perhaps they should change their name to just: Micro.

Ahhhh, Schadenfreude.
  • Reply 67 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Huh?!  

Fugly

• Reply 68 of 150
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Several years old" would be 75% fail rate. Channel stuffing the new, tiny model has lowered the average.

To quote you, "citation needed"

Actually I'll save you the work. It's under 10% now.

http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2012
  • Reply 69 of 150
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't follow. If the device has an HDMI passthrough then it can be always connected and ready to overlay on your cable/sat feed or take over completely with a touch of a button. This is what I've been saying Apple should have done with the Apple TV from day one to specifically avoid being an ignored device that requires an input change on the monitor before it can be utilized.

My point was simply that the Xbox One would need to partner with the cable/satellite companies if they want to make the streaming video more viable.  I was thinking along the lines of how the providers situate their iPad apps with the streaming feeds coming through the internet, rather than the cable or satellite feeds.  I don't get the impression that the Xbox One will try to integrate any program guide functions with cable/satellite service. 

• Reply 70 of 150
    alfiejr wrote: »
    this all begs the question: who wants to do all that fancy shit on their big screen TV?

the future is about simple and easy.
    These guys keep missing the boat.. A bunch of dumb little gimmicky features, isn't fooling the majority of
    Buyers anymore. They burnt that bridge like 500 times. People want simple, quality products. It's hard to imagine that the original wii has had this much of an influence on Sony and Microsoft. The wii had a great idea, it wasn't going to revolutionize anything, it was a niche. It's amazing how Microsoft and Sony failed to realize that.. Ditch the wave your hands at the television to change the channel BS and put all that energy into amazing graphics, and a new modern game franchise
  • Reply 71 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

So then why mention Apple at all if you weren't trying to make it out as a win for them? 

Uh, this is an Apple board, right?  And Blu-ray licensors include more than just Sony, right?  Take a deep breath, the world is not as bad as you think.

• Reply 72 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It doesn't, it is also not available everywhere in the U.S. I don't know what their plans are for live TV in other places.

If FiOS is not in your area, it ain't coming anytime soon.  Verizon announced a while ago that they would concentrate on building out the networks in the regions that they already serve, and not bother with expanding into areas that they don't serve. 

• Reply 73 of 150
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

....I'm sorry, but is there a massive amount of people desperate to play games and watch live TV simultaneously with a split screen, or watch TV and skype? .....

That....along with the ability to watch a movie and text at the same time on a Galaxy IV will cause ADHD to become the most prominently diagnosed syndrome.

• Reply 74 of 150
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    From XBox 360 to XBox 1.. sounds like a step backwards in the marketing department.

I am amused however that Microsoft will be paying Sony royalites by using Blu-Ray.
    Yes Microsoft user Sony, and via versa so the company's compete it, but can't function without each others help.
    alfiejr wrote: »
    has anyone on the web noticed that, with its typical marketing flim flam, MS has named it XBox One when it's really XBox 3?
    welllllllllllll.... Is there comment
    Mine is that the first to Xbox were betas
    (0.1,0.36) well I guess they treat customers like that!

I can enjoy a simular experience with a MacBook and airplay it sounds.
  • Reply 75 of 150
    woochifer wrote: »

If FiOS is not in your area, it ain't coming anytime soon.  Verizon announced a while ago that they would concentrate on building out the networks in the regions that they already serve, and not bother with expanding into areas that they don't serve. 

They're not building out even in areas they do serve.
  • Reply 76 of 150
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So what? Who spends all day looking at their game console? It's probably tucked out of the way some where.

In some ways, this is what Apple TV should have been. Apple was positioned to do the "one box to control them all" game a long time ago, but fell short. With only minor modifications, Apple TV could have been the center of your entertainment system and done all the things that XBox 1 does (gaming, music, movies, TV, Internet, etc).

It's not a bad product in concept. It will be interesting to see how well they've actually met their goals.

If the actual product and games meet the expectations they set in the presentation I watched today, it'll basically change the console business (IE kill everyone else) in one swoop.  Video conferencing -Ala Skype, motion control, Cable box integration, Voice Control, Blue Ray etc..  It quite simply will leave everyone in the dust.  The graphics they demoed the new version of Call of Duty were simply amazing.  The thing isn't a gaming console, it's a PC that acts like a gaming console when you want to game.  Their goal has been to to take over the living room, they may have just done that.

That said I stress IF they meet the expectations they set in the demo.

• Reply 77 of 150
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Just watched the entire presentation. I'm sorry, but is there a massive amount of people desperate to play games and watch live TV simultaneously with a split screen, or watch TV and skype? It just seems a very small percentage of people would be even mildly interested in this. The voice control looks cool. Games wise, all we saw are graphical updates to existing franchises. The console also looks like an ugly HTPC that one can build from newegg, also looks massive. It also doesn't seem to me like the market for people who will buy an xbox are the ones that will be watching live tv. 

I agree, but suspect that adding the split screen was an afterthought. It's not really the big selling feature.

It's really all about unification of all the sources that feed your TV into a single box. The rest is just fluff.
    jeffdm wrote: »
    If it can handle it, maybe XBox 4k. But that might lead to people thinking it's not for them if they don't have 4kTV.

Or maybe XBox Unity.

XBox Unity would have been OK, but I don't think names carry the weight that they used to. XBox 1 is just strange, though. Is this the 3rd version or 4th?
  • Reply 78 of 150
    jragosta wrote: »
    I agree, but suspect that adding the split screen was an afterthought. It's not really the big selling feature.

It's really all about unification of all the sources that feed your TV into a single box. The rest is just fluff.
    XBox Unity would have been OK, but I don't think names carry the weight that they used to. XBox 1 is just strange, though. Is this the 3rd version or 4th?

It'll be the 3rd. Maybe it stands for all in 1? 1 device for all your needs. Not being backwards compatible might be a problem though.
  • Reply 79 of 150

• Reply 80 of 150
    rothgarrrothgarr Posts: 58member
    Can't wait!