Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    applewinsapplewins Posts: 10member

This looks really impressive!

I will buy one.

• Reply 102 of 150
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I am amused however that Microsoft will be paying Sony royalites by using Blu-Ray.

I am amused Sony pays Microsoft to preload Windows on VAIO PCs.
  • Reply 103 of 150
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes and no. There are millions of perfectly functioning units for many years time and MS admitting the issue and resolving it that it shouldn't be brought up without the proper context, but one such proper context is having some concern that MS may not have learned their lesson. They have, as of yet, to really prove themselves as a HW vendor. If I were looking a game console I think I'd certainly read reviews before buying to make there was nothing unexpected cropping up that would make me regret my decision.

Fair enough.  But I think we've all seen lots of vendors deny problems or blame them on the user.  Whether they didn't do that because the problem was too big or they just chose to do the ethical thing we'll never really know.  It would seem they have learned their lesson since the failure rate for all newer units (even before the new smaller version) was within acceptable tolerances.  Could they repeat the same mistake twice?  Sure, but I think it's pretty unlikely.  In fact, as some are already remarking that the XBox One is "ugly" and "too big", I have to think they made it that size because they did learn their lesson.  Smaller and sleeker sure would look nice, but that creates cooling challenges and they likely made a conscious decision to avoid that.

• Reply 104 of 150
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    You're fine with being forced to have the Kinect plugged in to run it, have an Internet connection always active and connected, and to pay the retail price twice over when you buy a used game?

I realize many of your posts are pretty low brow but this one is moronic. Forced to have Kinect plugged? It's an integral part of the control scheme. Just like how Apple forces iPad owners to use the touchscreen. And when it comes to the mythical apple produced TV, damn near everyone here is saying they should use Siri which is halfway to the Kinect forced usage you're bitching about.

Forced to have an Internet connection? The device is mostly pointless without one so who the hell would buy one without expecting to have it on their network? And how is this any different than the forced Internet connection the AppleTV requires?

As for used games, that might be your only valid point. Chances are MS will quickly cave on that.

And just for shits and giggles, I'll use one of the favored tactics here. Are you a paid Apple shill? I mean your only goal seems to be to praise Apple and shit on anyone who dares compete against them.
  • Reply 105 of 150
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

I was genuinely excited for the console until i read that about the used game situation, which to be frank...**** that. 

You can't pass a game on to a friend without them playing on your account or they have to pony up the full retail price to play it on their own account is so incredibly stupid that only Microsoft could think of it. 

The TV effort is meh, my Wii U already does that, and with zero backwards compatibility to 360 games all the stuff I currently own is essentially useless for next gen. 

MS shot itself not in the foot but in the face today with this announcement, and i know i wont be picking one up for awhile if this is going to be the current state that the Xbox is going to be in. 

• Reply 106 of 150
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ifail wrote: »
    I was genuinely excited for the console until i read that about the used game situation, which to be frank...**** that. 

You can't pass a game on to a friend without them playing on your account or they have to pony up the full retail price to play it on their own account is so incredibly stupid that only Microsoft could think of it. 

The TV effort is meh, my Wii U already does that, and with zero backwards compatibility to 360 games all the stuff I currently own is essentially useless for next gen. 

MS shot itself not in the foot but in the face today with this announcement, and i know i wont be picking one up for awhile if this is going to be the current state that the Xbox is going to be in. 

Actually Sony first tried it. Used games couldn't be played online unless the user had a new activation code that had to be purchased.
  • Reply 107 of 150
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    this all begs the question: who wants to do all that fancy shit on their big screen TV?

the future is about simple and easy.

To me it begs the question: do they think voice control will really prove that useful and awesome or did they just want to beat Apple to it (given all the 'itv' rumors re saying it will be Siri controllable)

And th
  • Reply 108 of 150
    alfiejr wrote: »
    this all begs the question: who wants to do all that fancy shit on their big screen TV?

the future is about simple and easy.

To me it begs the question: do they think voice control will really prove that useful and awesome or did they just want to beat Apple to it (given all the 'itv' rumors re saying it will be Siri controllable)

And the question of whether this will be like all those 'before Apple announces anything' tablets that basically failed when they finally turned up later
  • Reply 109 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oneaburns wrote: »

Fair enough.  But I think we've all seen lots of vendors deny problems or blame them on the user.  Whether they didn't do that because the problem was too big or they just chose to do the ethical thing we'll never really know.  It would seem they have learned their lesson since the failure rate for all newer units (even before the new smaller version) was within acceptable tolerances.  Could they repeat the same mistake twice?  Sure, but I think it's pretty unlikely.  In fact, as some are already remarking that the XBox One is "ugly" and "too big", I have to think they made it that size because they did learn their lesson.  Smaller and sleeker sure would look nice, but that creates cooling challenges and they likely made a conscious decision to avoid that.

1) But the past can have that effect. I don't think anyone is saying MS is in any way unique in this scenario. Apple was foolish with iCloud for 1) releasing it the same time as a new iPhone, 2) same time as an iOS version, 3) letting the 30 day trial be open to all without any CC to push away less than serious users, and 4) not having .Mac users be first to try it out, and 5) not having some invitation method that would allow the system to scale. The result was the entire thing coming to a standstill the first weekend. There are likely examples for all companies.

2) I think it's a reasonable hypothesis that the added size is to allow for more internal cooling this time. People tend to consider the vents on these devices. They shove them where it looks best from the front and rarely ever think about air flow or clean out the dust that collects. I assume this is more common with gamers, but that might be my bias as a non-gamer. :D
  • Reply 110 of 150
    mrboba1 wrote: »

This is the biggest obstacle that the user must overcome - finding what's on (or what I want to watch) quickly and easily. If XBox 1 doesn't do that, it's just another gimmick.

Hopefully Apple knows this.

Bit moot since Apple doesn't control the content. The only wy this kind of TiVo type trick works is if the content is properly tagged.
  • Reply 111 of 150
    woochifer wrote: »

In much the same way that Apple had to make their veritable deal with the devil (AT&T) in order for the iPhone to gain a market foothold, I think any breakthrough Apple TV product will also need to carry along some sort of deal with the cable/satellite providers. 

Wrong group. Why would Apple talk to the middlemen. They need dels with the content boys. Convince them to drop their windows etc. put content on iTunes day and date or very shortly after (couple if weeks tops), global. With better quality like 720p on everything. Better pricing including overlaps for box set releases. And so on.
  • Reply 112 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

has anyone on the web noticed that, with its typical marketing flim flam, MS has named it XBox One when it's really XBox 3?

That's like calling Iron Man 3, Iron Man One instead.

• Reply 113 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I watched and was impressed. I liked the voice integration and the input switching.

They've done away with the RRoD. Now the Xbox One will just babble some incoherent rant about "when I was your age..." and ignore you when its five billion transistors die a premature heat death. A true breakthrough in voice integration.

• Reply 114 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And th

They should call the Xbox the Chexbox. Because its spec sheet is full of them. Some of them might stick.

• Reply 115 of 150
    The X-Box and its online gaming & entertainment aspects is one of the few things Microsoft has gotten right over the past decade+. I love my 360 & (knock wood) have yet to have any problems with it. In this respect Microsoft is leading the way with the home console market and based on what I've seen & read, the X-Box One should only widen its lead.
  • Reply 116 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

has anyone on the web noticed that, with its typical marketing flim flam, MS has named it XBox One when it's really XBox 3?

At the risk of opening a can of worms (and one of Tallest's deepest cuts), the 6th iPhone was called iPhone 5!!

• Reply 117 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's like calling Iron Man 3, Iron Man One instead.

It should have been called Iron Man Mk42.

• Reply 118 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It also reportedly blocks used games as I suspected. You install games onto the HDD and it ties them to an online account. You will be able to buy used games but on installing, you will likely have to pay again, possibly a reduced fee. Some reports are a bit sketchy just now.

Well that sounds like a deal-breaker to me. I was looking forward to this so I could get my kid a Kinect. But this does seem like a shady thing to do. I generally do not buy used games but it just seems wrong that they tax people from using used games.

Maybe I'll just wait till I actually see the PS4 and then decide whether to go for it, or just stick to my PS3 with Move for the kid.

On another topic, I really wish Blu-ray becomes region free. I mean what is the point of region locking, when even big studios (who reportedly benefit from it) like WB release region-free discs?

• Reply 119 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

The secret to TV is finding what you (the user) wants to watch.

If I want to watch hockey or basketball playoffs, I shouldn't have to hunt around to find what "station" it's on. I shouldn't have to know that on Time Warner, TNT is 1302 and on Uverse it's 1412. I should just be able to tell it to turn on "Red Wings hockey"

This is the biggest obstacle that the user must overcome - finding what's on (or what I want to watch) quickly and easily. If XBox 1 doesn't do that, it's just another gimmick.

Hopefully Apple knows this.

That work out the same as the normal 'On Demand' TV but unless some station is airing it (live) or streaming it (cloud) then you won't find any. But I like your idea.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

"Impressive"?! HA! That's a good one. Microsoft just killed their entire video game console industry. It's Sony and Nintendo now, and Sony just shot itself in its other leg this generation.

I think you are just projecting your fanboy wishes here.

What was shown so far about PS4 looks good. It seems very game-centric, which is something I desire from a game console. I don't care they didn't show how console looks like - presented games look good, which is important thing, especially considering that those are first gen games and still in development.

XBO might also end up to be good console, but I fear MS is loosing focus here. What I didn't like is, while they did show unit, they were even more vague about specs than Sony. Is console using DDR3 or DDR5? DDR3 would be quite bad. I'm not aware of current DDR3 graphics card capable of running demanding games in 1080p with high details, and that is TODAY - this console should be relevant for at least next 5 years, so crippling it with DDR3 could be a huge mistake.

I understand that MS wants to leave games to E3, but showing at least some teasers for mentioned exclusives would be reassuring for gaming segment of audience, which was majority. As it is, MS made it look as if games are not priority here. Which is a wrong message for a game console, even one that is supposed to do much more than just games.

All in all, whole presentation was unbalanced. Like combining focus on media (which is something casual users should dig) with nerdy details about number of transistors in APU, which casual users couldn't care less for. And missing to mention almost everything in between.

In contrast, Sony's presentation was very focused on gamers, and presented features - gameplay recording and streaming, friends invite/take over, playing partially downloaded games etc. were all in line with that. As a gamer, I found it very inspiring, and reassuring that PS4 has potential to be a great console.