Supply chain showing 'signs of life' as Apple gears up for Sept. launch of 'iPhone 5S'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A key Apple supplier has revealed that its largest North American customer is gearing up for the launch of a next-generation smartphone, suggesting Apple could be in the midst of preparing for a September launch of its next iPhone.

iPhones


The comments come from Avago Technologies, the maker of custom wireless chips featured in Apple's iPhone lineup. Analyst Maynard Um of Wells Fargo Securities interpreted them on Thursday as "signs of life" in Apple's supply chain, and an indication of a likely September launch for a so-called "iPhone 5S."

"Avago noted it is already seeing an initial ramp of a new product transition (we believe iPhone 5S) and expects a greater ramp in the following quarter (October quarter)," Um wrote in a note to investors. "We anticipate more positive supply chain news from Apple suppliers through the summer and as we get closer to product launch."

The details put Apple's next iPhone on track to launch a year after the iPhone 5, as that device was officially unveiled on Sept. 12 of last year. While some optimistic market watchers had hoped that Apple would launch its "iPhone 5S" at a sooner date, company CEO Tim Cook softened those expectations with comments made last month, when he signaled that major new products would arrive this fall.

Wells Fargo has maintained its "outperform" rating for AAPL stock, with a share valuation range of $485 to $525.

iPhone Colors
Rumored colors for Apple's next iPhone, according to a recent report


As for Apple's next-generation iPhone hardware, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities has claimed that Apple plans to embed a fingerprint sensor beneath the home button on its next handset. This addition would allow users to bypass manual password entry, and could even open up the possibility of new functionality such as secure e-wallet transactions.

Apple first signaled its interest in fingerprint scanning technology when it acquired Florida-based AuthenTec last year. That company's flagship product was a "Smart Sensor" component that reads fingerprints and can be embedded into devices such as smartphones.

Beyond that, numerous reports have claimed that Apple's 2013 iPhone will come with more color options beyond the current black and white offerings, while still other reports have claimed the device will include an improved camera that could capture pictures up to 12 megapixels in size.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 46
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    So all we can expect from the next iPhone is a better camera and maybe color options?

    What about new chips?

    What about NFC?

    Any new features?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member


    What!!!! There is going to be a new iPhone you say? Coming out in the fall you say? 


     


    How ridiculous /s

  • Reply 3 of 46
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,183member
    festerfeet wrote: »
    What!!!! There is going to be a new iPhone you say? Coming out in the fall you say? 

    How ridiculous /s

    Since it comes from a 'well-connected' analyst, it surely must be very important news.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    ...while still other reports have claimed the device will include an improved camera that could capture pictures up to 12 megapixels in size.



     


    Hey, my iPhone 5 can already capture pictures up to 28 megapixels in size.


     


    Quote:


    Panorama.


    iPhone is the most popular camera in the world. For good reason. Photos look so stunning, it’s hard to believe they were taken with a mobile phone. And everything that made the iSight camera in iPhone 4S the world’s favourite is now on iPhone 5 — and then some. The new panorama feature lets you capture everything from a family reunion group photo to a jaw-dropping shot of Sydney Harbour. With one smooth motion you can shoot up to an impressive 240 degrees. The gyroscope, A6 chip, and Camera app work together to create one seamless, high-resolution panorama up to 28 megapixels.




     


    Source.

  • Reply 5 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post



    So all we can expect from the next iPhone is a better camera and maybe color options?



    What about new chips?



    What about NFC?



    Any new features?


     


    imo its pretty much a given that they will update the internals.  But seriously, incremental internal refresh and color options is a major fail on the innovation side. I am going to hope they do better than that because thats the kind of "innovations" that can be done by the bottom feeding low end taiwan companies.


     


    Innovation I am hoping for:


     


    Batterie life:  IGZO at the same resolution could triple batterie life. Smartphone batterie life is short compare to what we used to get with feature phones.  Couple this with new batterie tech, better LTE chip, smarter firmware and getting 5 days out of charge would be doable.


     


    NFC:  and a clever way to used it on the software side.


     


    The home button:  IF they could find a way to put it on the screen.  There is patent for it. Think of the gain in the bezel. This could allow to build a 5" iphone that is barely bigger (footprint) than the current one, it would be a bit wider but not much longer.


     


    Zoom:  I dont know if its doable but a small optical zoom would go a long way into making it a better camera.


     


    Water and sand:  Shock and water resistant. The batterie is not user removable, so why not making it water resistant.


     


    and, for the love of god, more iphone models and price points... 


    1. Most needed model is an emerging market one. Something very cheap that is NOT for sale in rich countries and something specially design for those market needs.


    2. A unlock model around $300 for the gazillions of carriers in the world that dont do subsidies.

  • Reply 6 of 46
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    blackbook wrote: »
    So all we can expect from the next iPhone is a better camera and maybe color options?

    What about new chips?

    What about NFC?

    Any new features?

    They are clueless so they are regurgitating the same tired rumors in the hopes that Apple will confirm at least one of these "features" to be true. That way ole Ming-Chi can continue to be a "well-connected Apple analyst". If they don't add it to the phone this generation, he will say it was due to Apple's supply chain issues or something.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post





    They are clueless so they are regurgitating the same tired rumors in the hopes that Apple will confirm at least one of these "features" to be true. That way ole Ming-Chi can continue to be a "well-connected Apple analyst". If they don't add it to the phone this generation, he will say it was due to Apple's supply chain issues or something.


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is right on target! Go Steelers! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^


     


    Throw enough stuff at the wall....something is bound to stick...then they will say See...i was right! I am a "well-connected Apple analyst"

  • Reply 8 of 46
    applehawkapplehawk Posts: 24member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Since it comes from a 'well-connected' analyst, it surely must be very important news.


    He seems to have somewhat of a track record of being right so until he is wrong more times than right I will listen to him more than the others.

  • Reply 9 of 46
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    herbapou wrote: »
    imo its pretty much a given that they will update the internals.  But seriously, incremental internal refresh and color options is a major fail on the innovation side. I am going to hope they do better than that because thats the kind of "innovations" that can be done by the bottom feeding low end taiwan companies.

    Innovation I am hoping for:

    Batterie life:  IGZO at the same resolution could triple batterie life. Smartphone batterie life is short compare to what we used to get with feature phones.  Couple this with new batterie tech, better LTE chip, smarter firmware and getting 5 days out of charge would be doable.

    NFC:  and a clever way to used it on the software side.

    The home button:  IF they could find a way to put it on the screen.  There is patent for it. Think of the gain in the bezel. This could allow to build a 5" iphone that is barely bigger (footprint) than the current one, it would be a bit wider but not much longer.

    Zoom:  I dont know if its doable but a small optical zoom would go a long way into making it a better camera.

    Water and sand:  Shock and water resistant. The batterie is not user removable, so why not making it water resistant.

    and, for the love of god, more iphone models and price points... 
    1. Most needed model is an emerging market one. Something very cheap that is NOT for sale in rich countries and something specially design for those market needs.
    2. A unlock model around $300 for the gazillions of carriers in the world that dont do subsidies.

    I am very interested in what Apple will do this year.

    So far I am not excited about Jony Ive's rumored changes to iOS, and the current iPhone 5S rumors seem the weakest I've ever heard.

    I'm due for an upgrade but at this point I don't see why I should wait for the 5S or iOS 7.

    Anyway more battery life would be nice. I would love NFC to come into play because passbook sucks. And finally I would LOVE a water resistant iPhone. It would probably never happen but some of the new waterproof Sony phones seem so useful.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    herbapou wrote: »
    imo its pretty much a given that they will update the internals.  But seriously, incremental internal refresh and color options is a major fail on the innovation side. I am going to hope they do better than that because thats the kind of "innovations" that can be done by the bottom feeding low end taiwan companies.
    That really depends upon what those internals are doesn't it.
    Innovation I am hoping for:

    Batterie life:  IGZO at the same resolution could triple batterie life. Smartphone batterie life is short compare to what we used to get with feature phones.  Couple this with new batterie tech, better LTE chip, smarter firmware and getting 5 days out of charge would be doable.
    I'm not sure where you are getting this garbage from but nothing about IGZO will lead to triple the battery life. At best you will get 30-40% better power efficiency. That only if you believe all the hype.
    NFC:  and a clever way to used it on the software side.
    The only clever thing they could do with NFC is to get electronic payments working.
    The home button:  IF they could find a way to put it on the screen.  There is patent for it. Think of the gain in the bezel. This could allow to build a 5" iphone that is barely bigger (footprint) than the current one, it would be a bit wider but not much longer.
    Actually I tend to agree that something needs to be done about the home button. I'm just not sure what the best course of action is.
    Zoom:  I dont know if its doable but a small optical zoom would go a long way into making it a better camera.
    It probably isn't doable with the current camera orientation. However I agree that a zoom would go a very very long way to improving the camera.
    Water and sand:  Shock and water resistant. The batterie is not user removable, so why not making it water resistant.
    Ahh yes let's glue another device together with sealant!
    and, for the love of god, more iphone models and price points... 
    This I agree with 100%.
    1. Most needed model is an emerging market one. Something very cheap that is NOT for sale in rich countries and something specially design for those market needs.
    Baloney. This idea that a cheaper iPhone is only needed in emerging markets is ridiculous. A cheaper iPhone would be a huge hit in the USA.
    2. A unlock model around $300 for the gazillions of carriers in the world that dont do subsidies.
    Better pricing on all of the unlocked models is in order.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    From the WSJ blog, here's what Tim Cook said when asked about different iPhones:

    [Quote]6:52 pm: Walt, on product strategy. With the iPod, Apple had a range of products, each designed to hit different markets and use cases. In one case, Apple killed off its best-selling iPod mini and introduced the nano. You haven’t done that with the iPhone.
    Instead, Apple has covered price points by keeping around older models at lower prices.
    Why not do what Apple did with the iPod, and have a range of new products each year?
    Cook: We haven’t so far. That doesn’t shut off the future.
    As to why not so far, “It takes a lot of really detailed work to do a phone right.”
    Cook said doing so might take off focus. The iPod, Cook said, evolved over time. But, take the iPod shuffle, it had really different features and played a different role. When we brought out iPod mini, people thought it wouldn’t sell because it had less storage. But it proved the market was there for lighter, thinner and smaller.
    My only point is these products all served a different person, a different type. On the phone, that is the question. Are we now at a point to serve enough people that we need to do that?[/quote]

    I'm not yet convinced Apple's answer is going to be an iPhone in a plastic casing with last years internals and less storage. That's incredibly boring and Apple doesn't really do boring. I don't know exactly what they'll do in this space but I just have a feeling it will be a bit more creative, a bit more out of the box than a cheap plastic phone.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,183member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Applehawk View Post


    He seems to have somewhat of a track record of being right so until he is wrong more times than right I will listen to him more than the others.



    Happy to change my opinion, if true: Can you share with us his track record? I've asked multiple times in these forums, but have never got an answer.

  • Reply 13 of 46
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    From the WSJ blog, here's what Tim Cook said when asked about different iPhones:

    I'm not yet convinced Apple's answer is going to be an iPhone in a plastic casing with last years internals and less storage. That's incredibly boring and Apple doesn't really do boring. I don't know exactly what they'll do in this space but I just have a feeling it will be a bit more creative, a bit more out of the box than a cheap plastic phone.


     


    Awhile ago someone here proposed the future may be a wireless earpiece with full cellular capabilities. Such a device could link with an iPad, Mac, or "iWatch" and be used to make phone calls whilst being operated by those larger devices.


     


    That could be Apple's answer for a low end "iPhone" and goes into the entire wearable tech dialog Tim was talking about. The future of the iPhone could be an accessory to an iPad, Mac, or Watch.


     


    We'll see, but a plastic phone with last years internals is not Apple's way.

  • Reply 14 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    herbapou wrote: »
    The home button:  IF they could find a way to put it on the screen.  There is patent for it. Think of the gain in the bezel. This could allow to build a 5" iphone that is barely bigger (footprint) than the current one, it would be a bit wider but not much longer.

    I don't think that really does anything for usability. Adding length without width would help only a very few things (such as texting, perhaps). It's really not going to be much benefit for most of the things people do with their phones.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post



    So all we can expect from the next iPhone is a better camera and maybe color options?



    What about new chips?



    What about NFC?



    Any new features?


    I hope they throw in an IR transmitter.  I know it's a small/quirky feature, but my iPhone is a swiss army knife, and getting rid of my remote controls would be a nice little bonus.

  • Reply 16 of 46
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member


    Wow, a new phone in September.  Amazing prediction.  On the other hand Cook said as much a month ago.

  • Reply 17 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    I don't think that really does anything for usability. Adding length without width would help only a very few things (such as texting, perhaps). It's really not going to be much benefit for most of the things people do with their phones.


     


    i guess you mean reducing length. Well on a 4" it would make it shorter but if you used the xtra space to make the screen bigger you will end-up with a bigger screen and the phone would not be a lot bigger. If you respect the 16:9 ratio that would mean the phone would get wider but the phone would not be longer, well depending on how much you increase the screen size.


     


     They could also do this on all devices, ipads, ipods and the upcoming iwatch.

  • Reply 18 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,747member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    Wow, a new phone in September.  Amazing prediction.  On the other hand Cook said as much a month ago.

    Show me where Cook said that?
  • Reply 19 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

    Ahh yes let's glue another device together with sealant!


     


    Well, actually they could also spray the internals. And they dont have to glue everything to make it work, my underwater camera can still be open to access the SD card and battery.

  • Reply 20 of 46
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post





    Show me where Cook said that?


     


    Actually I think he hint that new products (not refresh of existing ones) would not be before fall.  So that doesnt rule out any product refresh before that.

Sign In or Register to comment.