Inside iOS 7: Calendar app comes with sterilized UI, few feature changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

At least you can now set appointments in 1 minute increment instead of 5 minutes increment!!

• Reply 22 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

No thanks, I'll stick with BusyCal... it has hundreds of extra features that I need and depend on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

No thanks, I'll stick with BusyCal. It has the hundreds of extra features that I actually need and depend on every day!!

Double troll post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

OVERBOARD IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Fantastical blows all calendar apps away. Once you start using it, you'll never go back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

Sterilized and FUGLY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Actually, this would be year, month, and day views, with week view missing (if it exists)

I'm not a fan of this design either.  I absolutely hate the bright red highlight (and the entire idea of colour coded apps), and it's trying so hard to copy Windows Phone that it's just embarrassing.  I find the new contacts app similar.  

What's been missing for years in both apps is a good, robust, feature set.  All they've done here is re-skin the thing.  How about making a better calendar (and Contacts) instead?  I don't think Apple understands this stuff at all.

Wow, the mods take one day off and the trolls completely take over every thread. I'm not sure who's more pathetic, the trolls or the companies paying them to troll.* And the one genuine comment (the latter) actually sounds like a troll post!

FWIW I like the slick, minimalist look of iOS 7 and the calendar app. That said, I'm not really a power user so maybe there're some things I'm missing.

*Samsung has been caught paying trolls, but I'm sure they're not the only ones doing it.

• Reply 23 of 102
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member
    hey just wanted to mention that feedback can be given at:
    apple.com/feedback

keep it constructive and be specific about what you would like to see change.
    If you don't give them Good, constructive feedback, they won't change anything.

• Reply 24 of 102
    Why is Appleinsider reviewing this as though its a GM? What of the word beta do they not understand. As Jim Dalrymple said earlier today, any so called journalist who is reviewing iOS 7 (which remains heavily under construction) is not only a dumbass, but is also doing a great disservice to his readers.
  • Reply 25 of 102

Why do you sheep care so much how things look?

Are you a bunch of girls marveling over the latest designer handbags?

Real technology enthusiasts care about what a gadget can do, not how it looks!

Hello, Tallest Skil, enjoying your ban?

I see you still log in... not being able to "come back" with toxic one-liners must eat you up... 

• Reply 26 of 102

Hey, Tallest Skil!

What will you do next?

Appeal your ban here?

Pop up here under a different handle?

Or will you pop up in another forum? 

If so, will you use the same handle, and the same obnoxious avatar?

• Reply 27 of 102
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

The loss of functionality in month view is disappointing. Oh well, I guess I'll learn to like week view.

I won't. This looks completely horrible: 

Do we really need the date numerals so big and the day of the week on a separate line just so they take up 1/3 of the screen!? Why are Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 labels given so much real estate and greyed out? I bet you can't even zoom out so that each hour is represented by a single line of text. If you need to schedule more than one event an hour you aren't going to be using this app anyway - that's for sure.

I don't understand why they put so much effort into the device and then not apply that same design rigour to some of the most fundamental applications. The "tags" feature they just announced for OS X should have been a basic feature across their email clients like 5 years ago!

I guess this is a victim of the compressed release cycle. I look forward to when they have the time to wave the refinement brush over many of these apps.

• Reply 28 of 102
    Why is Appleinsider reviewing this as though its a GM? What of the word beta do they not understand. As Jim Dalrymple said earlier today, any so called journalist who is reviewing iOS 7 (which remains heavily under construction) is not only a dumbass, but is also doing a great disservice to his readers.
    Exactly what I was thinking. And we aren't even to the second beta release. As far as I can see, so far so good. There's still a fair amount of time until gm. These "reviewers" need to settle down and keep their pants on for a while.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

This comes out from forcefully applying box design logic and sense on software. Jonny makes no compromise, the designers usually don't. Calendar shows the results within guidelines from Jonny's speech in the commercial: you REALLY have to focus to notice what you are looking for...:D

• Reply 30 of 102
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0378 View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. And we aren't even to the second beta release. As far as I can see, so far so good. There's still a fair amount of time until gm. These "reviewers" need to settle down and keep their pants on for a while.

Apple does not show unfinished products. Whatever is in the process, it is done mainly under the hood. Lower your pants, sit and relax, because WYS now is WYG in fall...

• Reply 31 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the new Calendar app, Apple is going for a spartan, almost bleached look...

• Reply 32 of 102
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

hey just wanted to mention that feedback can be given at:

apple.com/feedback

keep it constructive and be specific about what you would like to see change.

If you don't give them Good, constructive feedback, they won't change anything.

Thanks for the link.

• Reply 33 of 102
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    The only way to get into list view (I have found) is to click the tiny search icon. Found it by accident while failing to tap the status bar.

Won't Cmd-1 giv what you want?

edit: oops, that's OSX, and this is iOS. So, no list? That would suck big time (no pun intended)
  • Reply 34 of 102
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    I actually like the new look, but fantastical still does the job better for me.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Nice spartan look anyways. This, is, Sparta!
  • Reply 36 of 102
    The new calendar is the worst ever! I can't believe its from Apple!
  • Reply 37 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

They have already done all the talks at WWDC explaining the new design and encouraging developers to move their app to the new look. It's too late to turn back now and it's a done deal. There will be minor changes before GM but basically what you see now is what you're going to get.

Personally I would like them to release iOS 7 on time, but have it only be the underlying system changes they have done, discarding the new GUI except for the new task switcher which is cool. Oh, and don't allow arbitrary background tasks either - that way lies trouble, the idea of having a fixed set of allowable background demons, all written by Apple, was brilliant and should be kept. But I'm not going to get my wish.

• Reply 38 of 102
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    I suspect the "a lot more useable" day and week views are the ones they've come closest to finishing so far.

I also suspect that the current features making month and year views more useful will either be included in the final build or changed to something even more useful/intuitive%u2026 it's doubtful this is anywhere near a finished product.

It's kind of silly doing an in-depth opinion piece on incomplete software, isn't it?
  • Reply 39 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 2 View Post

Real technology enthusiasts

Delusion, by the way. Using phrases like this can only hurt your arguments.

• Reply 40 of 102
    Way to review a developer-only beta.