Japan's largest carrier sees no urgency to get Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Isn't it funny how the people Captaining a sinking ship are the only ones unconvinced that it's sinking?
  • Reply 22 of 104
    I find it amusing that anyone would label the iPhone "god of..." That's such hyperbole, but if carriers ever thought the iPhone was god of all smartphones, that's quite a compliment!

Of course it is possible that these statements are what a carrier would say to leverage its hand in a poker game against a smartphone vendor who wants to win a carrier agreement. "We don't need you!" And it's probably true. The competitive landscape has changed since 2007. There's probably no single vendor that has any real leverage against carriers who want to offer "smartphones." But I personally think iPhones are a class on their own, due to its participation in the very sticky iTunes / App Store ecosystem.
  • Reply 23 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But I personally think iPhones are a class on their own, due to its participation in the very sticky iTunes / App Store ecosystem.

And lack of crapware installed by the telcos :)

• Reply 24 of 104
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Because carrier services are so great. I'm sure customers would rather be able to read their horoscope than have the option of buying an iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Why not create the services you want to integrate into an app they can download later?
  • Reply 26 of 104
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I love my iphone and ipad...
    But wonder why apple has not put out a bigger phone yet... This is a big mistake....
    Ios is competing against android available on so many manufactures ... Sizes and price points.
    To compete effectively apple has to address different sizes. It boggles my mind that they are so slow and kickback about expanding the iphone lineup. Just dont get it !!!
  • Reply 27 of 104
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,091member

Apple should double down servicing and growing the Japanese carriers that are carrying the iPhone - Softbank and au.   It should be a key goal to make sure DoCoMo continues to lose customers.  That is the only way they way they will come on board 

• Reply 28 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Why not create the services you want to integrate into an app they can download later?

Well, because most people wouldn't...

:)

• Reply 29 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

In other words... "We are in intense negotiations for the next iPhone, and we need to look strong in public to get the best deal"

No kidding. 

• Reply 30 of 104
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You think a 5" phone is what Apple needs for China? image

How do people think this stuff up...

I sometimes think why do we always look into the tissue paper after blowing our noses.

• Reply 31 of 104
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Sounds a lot like pre-iPhone Verizon (largest carrier, lots of crap-ware, hocking Android phones as a poor substitute). As earlier posts asserted, this is either a negotiating tactic or hubris.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

But wonder why apple has not put out a bigger phone yet... This is a big mistake....

Ios is competing against android available on so many manufactures ... Sizes and price points.

To compete effectively apple has to address different sizes. It boggles my mind that they are so slow and kickback about expanding the iphone lineup. Just dont get it !!!

Here is my thinking as to why Apple didn't release a bigger screen iPhone.

1.  When they were originally designing the iPhone 5, sales of larger screen phones just wasn't that big.  It wasn't until the Galaxy S3 started selling was there any significant sales for screen sizes larger than 4 inch.  By the time the S3 had decent sales, the iPhone 5 was already "cast in stone" from an R&D standpoint.

2. With a larger screen comes a lot of other aspects that Apple has to deal with.  One, is battery size/cost/battery time.  if they can't get a certain amount of battery life at the right cost, weight, and size, then it's not something worthwhile.  Apple has always pushed battery life as that is a BIG consideration for mobile devices.  If you look at the various products on the market, Apple is typically better with regards to battery life than the competition.  Something that the Samsung S3 had horrible track record.

3.  With a bigger screen, in order to keep the device with good performance, additional GPU might be needed and as we all know, additional processing power drains the battery and the chip size might increase, thus not allowing for enough room.

4.  Apple wanted to have a phone that one can hold and use with one hand for most operations, something the larger screen phones are not as good at.  Yes, some people can operate a larger screen phone with one hand, but most of the time they need two.

Apple is SUPPOSED to be working with Sharp on their IGZO technology, which is supposed to be considerably less power to drive those screens vs the screens they are presently using, so that might be another reason.

Obviously, Apple doesn't like releasing products just for the sake of having 50 different models, that costs too much to support for the long term, which drives profit margins down.  Apple needs to always be conscious of that.  Something the PC mfg don't quite grasp, which leads them to have low margins since they end up competing with other companies at different price points and all it does is confuses everyone and just costs too much to sustain that product line.

I agree that they should offer at least 2 or 3 screen sizes since there is a big enough market for even the 3.5 inch models which people use that aren't playing video games or watching much video, they use it more for simple operation.  Then there is a crowd that uses more features and desires a larger screen, etc.

The problem is what size screen?  4.3?  4.5?  4.8?  5.0"?  NO matter what size they come out with, there will always be a percentage that wants something slightly smaller or slightly bigger and it would be foolish to make more than 3 different screen sizes until there really is a market for more size options.

I hope they release a bigger (but not TOO big) of an iPhone, but I'm not in a hurry.  Any time by Jan 2014 is fine by me.

• Reply 33 of 104

I love that one of his biggest reasons for not carrying it isn't high subsidies...it's that Apple won't let them preinstall their carrier bloatware on it.  And mind you, they could offer that crap in the App Store just like the "My Verizon" app and other things the carrier offers.  But it's up to the consumer to go download it.  But without being able to forcefeed it to us, he's upset. 

Eff him and the horse he rode in on.

• Reply 34 of 104
    seankill wrote: »
    Again, I have to agree with you here. I think Apple is too concerned with the draw backs of a larger phone. I think with a little better (and cheaper) technology, they will be ready to release one, and I am sure they have many prototypes with larger screens. 

My opinion, Apple needs to release a 4.5'' iPhone by holiday season of next year.

Thanks for your opinion.
    The article quoted a carrier who says iPhone isn't special in a sea of alternatives. How does chasing the screen bigger trend make it more unique? It doesn't. It makes iPhone even more like another copy (of a copy), another follower of a trend. If Apple makes a 4.5" iPhone, people will just whine they need to make a 5" iPhone. If Apple makes a 5" iPhone, they'll whine Apple needs to make a 5.5" iPhone. If they make a 5.5" iPhone, well, you where I'm going. It's a race to put ever larger 23" chrome dubs in our pockets. It has to stop somewhere. What makes the arbitrary size of 4.5" the "right" size? Or is it a race to one-up to ridiculousness?
  • Reply 35 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Because the tradeoffs in costs for the larger Retina displays, battery life, size and weight, manufacturing capacity for Retina displays and such haven't hit the mark yet for Apple.  Plus, Apple isn't Samsung...they aren't going to have a 4", a 4.2", a 4.5", 4.8" and 5" model.  They're going to do their homework and decide on the one size to add to the lineup that differentiates it enough from other their other products and meets the criteria I mentioned earlier.  Apple just doesn't do a lot of hand wringing over matching features and such as soon as humanly possible.  They do an update with different specs when they think it makes sense in the big picture.

• Reply 36 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I was under the impression we were talking about Japan here...

• Reply 37 of 104
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple reached the limit for what a 4" premium can do. If they want a higher volume of sales (if) and more profit they need:

- A premium 5" line together with the premium 4" line and current models (or a iPod-like phone, with only 1 or 2 gen behind hardware, not 3 or 4);

- A cheaper iPhone together with the current 4" (oh no, don't do it like that!);

- keep doing the same thing, but let carriers putting some crapware on it.

If they don't do one of those, they will lose the "extra" power that's so useful to have carriers doing what they want. DoCoMo, China Mobile, etc won't need to bend to Apple's demands.

But a 5" premium line? Oh yes they would.

I think Apple should release a 4.8 inch phone. Does it have to? No. But it is ceding market share by not doing so. The iPhone is the best phone on the planet in terms of quality, however, some people look at a big screen and that is the most important feature for them. I doubt we will see a larger phone this year, but I bet next year Apple will come to its senses. 

• Reply 38 of 104
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Samsung is scaling back on their oversized phones as they aren't selling nearly as well. The span of the human hand most commonly known is the target.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

5" is no longer a phone.

I guess for a 5' tall geek maybe. I wear 34" waist pants and a 5" phone fits perfectly in my pockets... I dont mind people that prefer a 4", but at least give me a choice.

• Reply 40 of 104
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

The article is talking Japan not China. This is subjective, but it seems a lot of my friends who are Asian like bigger phones because they only want one device. The phone takes the place of a tablet and or computer. It seems cultural.