LA public schools to deploy 31K Apple iPads this year, supply all 640K students in 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjunkie View Post

I love Apple products. I really do. But This is a waste of money. I have family that works in LAUSD and they'll be the first to tell you that rather than buying iPads for kids, a ton of which will be broken and mistreated, they would rather have school supplies and a proper staff.

My mom's school isn't even able to afford a janitor to clean the bathrooms. The kids themselves avoid using them. But hey, they get iPads! Yay! This is such a great example of ignorance at the top.

Our (very small) school depends on a measure of volunteer help, we're not swimming in cash. Our initial iPad buy looks like it'll break even in comparison with paper textbooks within three years (the school system under which we operate is requiring completely new/different textbooks over the next three years, for one thing). The most surprising thing, for me, has been changes in 5-8 grade students' math studies. They've gone from roughly grade-level work, to about 1/3 of the students moving on to from one to five grades worth advancement, once they were let loose to go at their own speed.

We're in a rural central California area, not LAUSD (yay!), but it definitely shows that it doesn't have to be a waste of money, time and effort.

• Reply 42 of 89
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Nah. Billy might get beat up, but only for his iPhone - the bullies are given their own iPad as well.  Why beat up someone just to get what you already have?

Not all bullies are still in school, and even if they do have their own.... they sell quickly on the street for $50

• Reply 43 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Our (very small) school depends on a measure of volunteer help, we're not swimming in cash. Our initial iPad buy looks like it'll break even in comparison with paper textbooks within three years (the school system under which we operate is requiring completely new/different textbooks over the next three years, for one thing). The most surprising thing, for me, has been changes in 5-8 grade students' math studies. They've gone from roughly grade-level work, to about 1/3 of the students moving on to from one to five grades worth advancement, once they were let loose to go at their own speed.

We're in a rural central California area, not LAUSD (yay!), but it definitely shows that it doesn't have to be a waste of money, time and effort.

Thanks for sharing Steve...that's much inline with what I've been reading. My GF is in the special ed field dealing with mildly autistic kids and she is seeing marked improvement when she uses the iPads. Anecdotal, I know, but I don't think I've read anything negative about it.

Now, MS SmartBoards? Ugh! Don't get me started. My GF says, they never work right the first time. She is constantly calling me to ask what to do....I say, "Is it plugged in? OK, restart it!" :)

• Reply 44 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The iPad is much more high profile, prolific, and most certainly gets the attention of educators more so than competing products. At the same time those "other products" do get adopted.

http://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2013/01/educators-reveal-why-and-how-school-districts-are-adopting-tablets

Yep. 84 Xoom tablets vs 640,000 iPads. Sounds about right.

Note the decision making process used by the schools in your example. In every case, they were selected by someone who looked solely at initial purchase price. That is a lousy process for choosing technology.
    What a fantastic waste of money by CA schools. Demonstrating that our educational administrators are completely out of touch with kids and reality. Have they ever been around kids? Have they seen the way kids treat their textbooks? Scratched, banged up, etc. they take a beating that no iPad could survive and keep on teaching. The replacement costs for broken iPads is going to be 50%. Not to mention the distractions from all the mobile games!

Funny, but my daughter's school had convertible tablets that they purchased for every student - and the breakage rate was a couple percent at most. In fact, I don't recall them ever having to replace any of them. So why would iPads be any different?
    gjunkie wrote: »
    I love Apple products. I really do. But This is a waste of money. I have family that works in LAUSD and they'll be the first to tell you that rather than buying iPads for kids, a ton of which will be broken and mistreated, they would rather have school supplies and a proper staff.

My mom's school isn't even able to afford a janitor to clean the bathrooms. The kids themselves avoid using them. But hey, they get iPads! Yay! This is such a great example of ignorance at the top.

Good thing you're not the one making technology decisions. By that standard, schools should never have upgraded from candles to electric lights. And they should never have installed blackboards. Those things were expensive in their day. And white boards are a total waste of money, right?

There are people who are paid to make such decisions based on educational requirements. And technology can help education - as has been shown repeatedly.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Who will own these iPads? The students or the schools?
  • Reply 46 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple could manage to enter the school system in other states than California, they could move a significant amount of ipads.  

Apple is already in schools districts in all 50 states. We only hear about the really big purchases. Where do guys like you come up with this utter nonsense anyway? 

• Reply 47 of 89
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

And we all know throwing money at education works right?

Clearly home schooling worked in your favor.

• Reply 48 of 89
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member

I have a PhD in computer engineering, and now surround myself with computers, and I will be the first to say that computers DO NOT belong in elementary school classrooms.  Kids don't learn "valuable computer skills" in the classroom, especially in the younger grades.  Many kids are already surrounded by electronic devices, wouldn't it be nice to get them away from it.  No matter how advanced computers get, they do not take the place of human interaction.  It's hard enough for kids to socialize properly without electronic devices, and now there are countless kids glued to their mobile devices.  Encouraging this behavior is not good for anyone.

The real problem with tablets on the desk is that it's too easy to get distracted.  I'm sure we've all wasted countless hours (while we should be working etc) on our devices... I'm doing it right now.  Letting kids get started at an early age is not a good idea.  

Then of course there's the cost issue.  An ipad will last what... 3, 4 years?  Sure it will get "up to date" content... but what really changes in elementary education in a 10 year period, what about a 20 year period?  Most of the changes made to the curriculum haven't been for the better.  We have countless kids who can barely read, they can't do simple math without a calculator, they don't know proper grammar, etc... But boy will they have mobile devices!!! While some kids might learn better with tablets, many won't.  The truth of the matter is that tablet devices have not been around long enough for scientific studies to show the long term impact on children's growth.  Do we really want to experiment with children's education like this?

Most importantly though, I think of school as the one place where kids should be able to ... be kids.  Sure, they have to learn and follow the rules, but they shouldn't be chained to computers.  They should experience the real world.  It's too easy for young kids to become enamored with the virtual world.  It's too easy to not physically interact with other kids. 

Looking back on my education, computers were starting to be used... I remember going to the computer lab, and what did I learn?  I learned to play where in the world is carmen sandiego, I learned to play number munchers and oregon trail.  Highly educational, let me tell you.  I actually learned more in 7th grade when I took a typing class (on an actual typewriter!) than all the other years of using actual computers in the classroom (with the exception of the two C++ programming courses I took in high school).  Even then, I remember educators talking about how wonderful having the computers was, how much it would help students learn, etc... It just didn't work.  With the exception of limited computer use in special classes (like programming, or typing, office skills etc) which tend to focus on middle and high school students, the computers haven't helped, they've just distracted kids from more important things (reading, writing, math, science).

On top of all this, there's the cost.  While it's arguably cheaper than text books, I don't really see that.  Schools tend to keep text books long past the time they need to be replaced.  5-10 years seems about right, by which point they're pretty beaten up.  An ipad simply own't last that long, and there's no way the book publishers are going to charge significantly less for an ebook than a real book... Especially when they realize school districts can keep their ebooks forever, so they won't have a constant money making scheme (the vast majority of the cost of paper books is not the paper or manufacturing...).  They'll likely go to subscription schemes, that way they make money indefinitely.  

Phil

• Reply 49 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philgar wrote: »
    I have a PhD in computer engineering, and now surround myself with computers, and I will be the first to say that computers DO NOT belong in elementary school classrooms.  Kids don't learn "valuable computer skills" in the classroom, especially in the younger grades.  Many kids are already surrounded by electronic devices, wouldn't it be nice to get them away from it.  No matter how advanced computers get, they do not take the place of human interaction.  It's hard enough for kids to socialize properly without electronic devices, and now there are countless kids glued to their mobile devices.  Encouraging this behavior is not good for anyone.

I'll tell you what. I'll ask the people who are experts in elementary education not to tell you how to design a computer if you'll agree not to try to tell them how to run a classroom.

Do you think the decision to spend $400 M was made on a whim? Have you read any of the examples of how computers have contributed significantly to educational results? Or the ones where iPads, in particular, have improved results significantly (including one example in this thread)?
  • Reply 50 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'll tell you what. I'll ask the people who are experts in elementary education not to tell you how to design a computer if you'll agree not to try to tell them how to run a classroom.

Do you think the decision to spend $400 M was made on a whim? Have you read any of the examples of how computers have contributed significantly to educational results? Or the ones where iPads, in particular, have improved results significantly (including one example in this thread)?

If you read what i said later, I said that mobile devices haven't been around long enough to show that they positively impact student learning.  While there might be isolated studies showing it in certain circumstances, there haven't been studies on students constantly using their devices. 

Now, while proving that mobile devices can help is a harder task than showing that they can distract.  For instance http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/students-cant-resist-distraction-two-minutes-neither-can-you-1C9984270 quotes research done showing just how distracting these devices are, mostly at college students, but considering the average kids attention span, I imagine the results are worse for elementary school kids (also see http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/are-you-distracted-by-technology/?_r=0 and i'm sure a simple google search will find more).  With a book on your desk you might flip ahead and read other (unrelated) material to distract yourself, but with an ipad, the student has the entire internet to distract them.  Don't pretend that they won't be distracted by that.  I learned that for most of my homework I was far better off doing it in the study lounge where I didn't have my computer to distract me (this was before smart phones).  Although I'm just one example, I know I'm not alone, many kids study in the library for the same reason: there are fewer distractions.

I'd argue that the distractions alone are reason enough to stick to real books and avoid ebooks.  I've read books on my ipad in the past, and I found the temptation to check every little thing distracting . . . And this was while reading fiction books that I WANTED to read, I couldn't imagine trying to read an actual textbook on there!  

Phil

• Reply 51 of 89
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I have a PhD in computer engineering, and now surround myself with computers, and I will be the first to say that computers DO NOT belong in elementary school classrooms.  Kids don't learn "valuable computer skills" in the classroom, especially in the younger grades....

Except they are not teaching "commuter skills" they are teaching match, english, history, geography, responsibility, research, study, drill and practice, organization, presentation, creative skills and social skills

The real problem with tablets on the desk is that it's too easy to get distracted.  I'm sure we've all wasted countless hours (while we should be working etc) on our devices... I'm doing it right now.  Letting kids get started at an early age is not a good idea.  

It is a simple matter to control what is available on the devices and when -- if you do some research [hint Fraser Speirs iPad Project] you will find that the iPads are much more engaging (less distractive) than almost any other classroom tool.

Then of course there's the cost issue.  An ipad will last what... 3, 4 years?  Sure it will get "up to date" content... but what really changes in elementary education in a 10 year period, what about a 20 year period?  Most of the changes made to the curriculum haven't been for the better.  We have countless kids who can barely read, they can't do simple math without a calculator, they don't know proper grammar, etc...

I mentioned in an earlier post that the iPad costs 2%-6% (or less) of the cost-per-pupil of today's US education system. I estimated that the Pads would be replaced every 2 years.

But boy will they have mobile devices!!! While some kids might learn better with tablets, many won't.  The truth of the matter is that tablet devices have not been around long enough for scientific studies to show the long term impact on children's growth.  Do we really want to experiment with children's education like this?

Can we risk not addressing the miserable education results with the current system?

Most importantly though, I think of school as the one place where kids should be able to ... be kids.  Sure, they have to learn and follow the rules, but they shouldn't be chained to computers.  They should experience the real world.  It's too easy for young kids to become enamored with the virtual world.  It's too easy to not physically interact with other kids. 

Looking back on my education, computers were starting to be used... I remember going to the computer lab, and what did I learn?  I learned to play where in the world is carmen sandiego, I learned to play number munchers and oregon trail.  Highly educational, let me tell you.  I actually learned more in 7th grade when I took a typing class (on an actual typewriter!) than all the other years of using actual computers in the classroom (with the exception of the two C++ programming courses I took in high school).  Even then, I remember educators talking about how wonderful having the computers was, how much it would help students learn, etc... It just didn't work.  With the exception of limited computer use in special classes (like programming, or typing, office skills etc) which tend to focus on middle and high school students, the computers haven't helped, they've just distracted kids from more important things (reading, writing, math, science).

Mmmm...
    Carmen Sandiego is an American media franchise of educational computer and video games, television series, books, and other media featuring a thieving villain of the same name created by Brøderbund Software. The main premise follows the user or protagonist who become agents of the ACME Detective Agency and attempt to thwart and capture V.I.L.E. ringleader and former ACME agent Carmen Sandiego. The franchise originally focused on teaching geography and history, but later branched out into mathematics, English, and other subjects
    Carmen Sandiego was originally created by Brøderbund Software co-founder Gary Carlston and proposed to programmer Dane Bigham in 1983. The idea of the franchise was to create a computer game which would get kids interested in geography, a childhood hobby of Broderbund co-founders Gary and Doug Carlston. Bigham provided the "look and feel" for the game interface from an adventure game he was developing independently and further development was entrusted to the creative "Rubber Room", led by ex-Disney artist Gene Portwood and Lauren Elliott at Brøderbund Software. The game script, graphics and humor were created by Gene Portwood, Lauren Elliott, and writer David Siefkin. An early draft version of the game was written by Gene Portwood and Lauren Elliott and was based in England, chasing Henry VII around London collecting treasures. Another idea proposed was a game based on the Time-Life series of books about great cities of the world. In the end, Carlston decided to base the game on the World Almanac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Sandiego

It appears that some of the educational software you used was so good that you didn't even know you were learning...

On top of all this, there's the cost.  While it's arguably cheaper than text books, I don't really see that.  Schools tend to keep text books long past the time they need to be replaced.  5-10 years seems about right, by which point they're pretty beaten up.  An ipad simply own't last that long, and there's no way the book publishers are going to charge significantly less for an ebook than a real book... Especially when they realize school districts can keep their ebooks forever, so they won't have a constant money making scheme (the vast majority of the cost of paper books is not the paper or manufacturing...).  They'll likely go to subscription schemes, that way they make money indefinitely.  

Phil

Asked and answered above... The "book" cost is much more than the price of the books themselves... there is expensive warehousing and distribution time (library, classroom, teacher time) that can be better spent on actual education!

And do you really want to defend a system supporting 10-year-old textbooks that were out-of -date the day the were printed?
  • Reply 52 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except they are not teaching "commuter skills" they are teaching match, english, history, geography, responsibility, research, study, drill and practice, organization, presentation, creative skills and social skills

It is a simple matter to control what is available on the devices and when -- if you do some research [hint Fraser Speirs iPad Project] you will find that the iPads are much more engaging (less distractive) than almost any other classroom tool.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the iPad costs 2%-6% (or less) of the cost-per-pupil of today's US education system. I estimated that the Pads would be replaced every 2 years.

Can we risk not addressing the miserable education results with the current system?

Mmmm...

It appears that some of the educational software you used was so good that you didn't even know you were learning...

Asked and answered above... The "book" cost is much more than the price of the books themselves... there is expensive warehousing and distribution time (library, classroom, teacher time) that can be better spent on actual education!

And do you really want to defend a system supporting 10-year-old textbooks that were out-of -date the day the were printed?

First, we need to address the issues facing our education system's miserable results, but giving them more distractions is unlikely to be the answer.  As technology has matured, scores in schools have gone down... Doesn't seem like the lack of technology access is responsible for this.

As for carmen sandiego.. .I'll admit I learned some from it, I won't pretend I didn't, HOWEVER the fact is I would have learned FAR more had I spent the same amount of time in a traditional classroom setting.  If that's the case the education software was not so good that I didn't know I was learning...It was just a game that taught a few things.  You can learn a lot from some games, or watching certain TV shows, but I wouldn't recommend replacing all traditional teaching methods with games and TV.

As for the book cost, I admit it is a huge problem that should be addressed.  Honestly, I think most states would be better off writing their own books and self publishing them considering the outrageous cost book publishers want to charge.

As for "And do you really want to defend a system supporting 10-year-old textbooks that were out-of -date the day the were printed?" Are you really going to argue that elementary school math, science, history, and english textbooks are going to be out-of-date in ten years?  Do grammar rules change, does arithmetic change?  Science does change, but the basics don't change that often. History.... well that happened in the past, sure new theories come up, but again that is stuff that tends to impact higher levels (like college).  The one thing that will change somewhat is geography.  However, how much world geography is taught in elementary school?  Kids learn the continents, and (in the US) tend to learn the states and their capitals.  They might learn about geographic features (oceans, seas, mountains, lakes, etc), and some countries, but any map of the world's countries is going to have inaccuracies (at the bare minimum, the most up to date map will contain disputed areas on it).  Elementary school kids aren't being taught the names of the countries that are constantly changing, and if they are it's not a huge deal that the map in the book is outdated.  The only thing I can think that the book will lack is current events... Things like who is the president, etc.  But again, this is changing often, and is easily handled without a book. So what exactly is the HUGE deal with using 10 year old text books (and how will buying digital text books prevent books from becoming outdated)?

Phil 

• Reply 53 of 89
    jragosta wrote: »

If you read what i said later, I said that mobile devices haven't been around long enough to show that they positively impact student learning.  While there might be isolated studies showing it in certain circumstances, there haven't been studies on students constantly using their devices. 

Now, while proving that mobile devices can help is a harder task than showing that they can distract.  For instance <a href="http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/students-cant-resist-distraction-two-minutes-neither-can-you-1C9984270" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/students-cant-resist-distraction-two-minutes-neither-can-you-1C9984270</a>;
     quotes research done showing just how distracting these devices are, mostly at college students, but considering the average kids attention span, I imagine the results are worse for elementary school kids (also see <a href="http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/are-you-distracted-by-technology/?_r=0" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/are-you-distracted-by-technology/?_r=0</a>;
     and i'm sure a simple google search will find more)<span style="line-height:1.231;">.  With a book on your desk you might flip ahead and read other (unrelated) material to distract yourself, but with an ipad, the student has the entire internet to distract them.  Don't pretend that they won't be distracted by that.  I learned that for most of my homework I was far better off doing it in the study lounge where I didn't have my computer to distract me (this was before smart phones).  Although I'm just one example, I know I'm not alone, many kids study in the library for the same reason: there are fewer distractions.</span>

I'd argue that the distractions alone are reason enough to stick to real books and avoid ebooks.  I've read books on my ipad in the past, and I found the temptation to check every little thing distracting . . . And this was while reading fiction books that I WANTED to read, I couldn't imagine trying to read an actual textbook on there!  

Phil

Apparently you missed my earlier post about the results of a 3-year experience (arguably better than an abstract study)!

Here it is again -- do a little research and you will find that [most of] the issues you raise have been addressed and resolved -- or were non-issues. For your convenience, I have highlighted various points in blue:

kkerst wrote: »

Just "throwing money" at anything -- likely won't work!

But that does not mean that you should not spend resources to resolve a problem or improve an enterprise...

Future Shock FRIDAY, JANUARY 29, 2010 AT 10:39AM

I'll have more to say on the iPad later but one can't help being struck by the volume and vehemence of apparently technologically sophisticated people inveighing against the iPad.

Some are trying to dismiss these ravings by comparing them to certain comments made after the launch of the iPod in 2001: "No wireless. Les space than a Nomad. Lame.". I fear this January-26th thinking misses the point.

What you're seeing in the industry's reaction to the iPad is nothing less than future shock.

For years we've all held to the belief that computing had to be made simpler for the 'average person'. I find it difficult to come to any conclusion other than that we have totally failed in this effort.

Secretly, I suspect, we technologists quite liked the idea that Normals would be dependent on us for our technological shamanism. Those incantations that only we can perform to heal their computers, those oracular proclamations that we make over the future and the blessings we bestow on purchasing choices.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

The iPad Project: How It's Going THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2010 AT 7:46PM

So we're now nearly five weeks into the iPad deployment and I thought it was time to update you in some detail.

The Educational Part

So many people have asked me to explain the educational impact of the iPad. I simply can't yet get to grips with everything that's happening. Put simply, the iPad deployment has transformed our school. Not evenly and not everywhere yet, but it's coming.

There are stages to technology adoption. Two important stages are 'replacement' and 'transformation'. With replacement, you take an existing resource and replace it with an essentially identical digital resource. Think of a paper textbook replaced by the same textbook in PDF form. That's not to be sniffed at - there are big advantages to that.

What we're reaching in some classes is the transformation stage. We're seeing the iPad completely change the way that certain subjects are taught. Our best example so far is Art. I will write and share more about what we're doing in Art over time but it's fair to say that it is already far beyond anything I expected in the first year, let alone the first month.

At this point, all I can give you are some practical anecdotes which, I hope, will give you a flavour of the change.

• I picked up a ream of printer paper yesterday. It had dust on top of it.
    • Primary 2 pupils have now memorised their passwords. That's not something that happens when they get 40 minutes a week on computers.
    • Last week, we couldn't get the Primary 3 pupils to stop doing maths and go for lunch.
    • My daughter April asked me if I could install the educational apps from school on my iPad so she could use them at home.
    • We're seeing a reduction in the amount of homework forgotten or not done.
    • "Forgetting your folder" for a subject is now a thing of the past.

The one feature that my teachers are crying out for is a way to present the entire iPad UI on a projector. At the moment, it's up to the application how they choose to support the iPad VGA Adapter. Some, such as Brushes, show a 'presentation' style display but almost no applications mirror the entire UI. That's quite technically difficult for a developer, so it would be nice to see something in the OS to support video mirroring.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/9/23/the-ipad-project-how-its-going.html

Here's an index of the efforts of Fraser Speirs -- the pioneer in using iPads one-per-student in education.

http://speirs.org/index/

And the actual blog index:

Blog Index

Entries by Category

Click on a category below to view a list of all entries within that category.
    Books (3)
    Business (38)
    FindingTheTime (3)
    iPhone (10)
    links (1)
    Misc (5)
    OutOfSchool (1)
    Photos (48)
    Podcast (2)
    Politics (15)
    Programming (37)
    School (85)
    Tech (228)
    Travel (18)
    Uncategorized (7)
    Video (3)
    Entries by Title

Click on an entry title below to view the full text of that entry.
    Using OmniPlan for Teaching
    Podcast: Apple's Daniel Craig
    A theory on what "App Store Volume Purchase" may be
    iOS 7 Education Wish List
    Podcast: Carrot and Stick
    The Butcher's Bill
    Out of School Podcast: Apple Configurator and Configuration Profiles
    iPad Disaster Recovery in Institutional Model Deployments
    The iOS 7 Power User Challenge
    IT Does Not Love iPads, and that's a good sign
    Teaching Programming with iOS and Amazon EC2
    Canon WU10 WiFi Scanner Adapter Review
    Beyond Consumption vs Creation
    The Refresh: The Device
    Refresh: The Platform
    What's On My iPad Mini
    Thoughts on Amazon Whispercast
    Two Weeks with iPad mini
    Thoughts on iPad mini
    From OmniFocus to Evernote
    Out of School S01E04
    Out of School S01E02
    Teaching Programming on iOS
    Out of School: A Podcast
    The Big Redeployment
    Thoughts on the Google Nexus 7
    iTunes U Enrolment and Apple IDs
    What's New in iTunes U
    The 2012 ADE Institute
    The End of Not Knowing
    Book Scanning
    Thoughts on Apple's WWDC Announcements
    Cedars School of Excellence on iTunes U
    The Web Kids' Kids
    iPad Exams Part 2
    eBooks as Tools
    We Need to Talk About Android
    Driving the Classroom with iTunes U
    Digital Exams on the iPad
    Something Very Special and Very Historically Different
    On My iPad
    Thoughts on iBooks
    Hire Me?
    iOS Multitasking in Detail
    The Answer is in the Question
    New Ways to Read Speirs.org
    Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking
    Farewell, Paper Books
    Three Mantras from the First Two Years
    Beth on Brushes
    Coda on the iOS 5.0.1 OTA Update
    Over-the-air Updating of iOS 5
    Ambitious iOS Apps
    Upgrading to iOS 5 and WiFi Syncing
    A Week With iOS 5
    A Supercomputer in Every Backpack
    Profile Manager in Practice
    Lion Server, MDM and a New Philosophy of Client Management
    Thoughts from the Classroom on WWDC
    A Web-to-Evernote Workflow that Works Everywhere
    Too Early to Tell
    It's just getting started
    A Workable Model for sub-1:1 iPad Use
    iPad Trials at Oklahoma State
    On eBook Pricing
    iPad in Education Networking Event
    Technology for Excellence 2011 Conference
    How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dematerialisation of Educational Technology
    Stop Lying
    iPad as Digital Whiteboard
    The Next-Generation Classroom AV System
    Apple Distinguished Educator
    Louise Duncan on the ACU Connected Summit
    ACU Connected Summit on iTunes U
    The iPad Project on Tour
    Some Thoughts from the Classroom on iPad 2
    The "Mingled Content" Model of App Deployment
    On the Rapid End-Of-Lifing of Android Devices
    How the iPad Wants to be Used
    The New York Times and Justifying the iPad
    App Management and Sync
    Accessibility on the iPad in Schools
    Rolling Out iPad 4.2
    What's Next for the iPad Project?
    On Strategy
    iPads, Curriculum for Excellence and the Next Generation
    Run What Ya Brung
    iPad Apps for Secondary
    iPad Apps for Primary
    The Invisible Computing Teacher
    The Accoutrements of Computing
    The iPad Project: How It's Going
    Upcoming Events
    The iPad Project: On Battery Life
    The iPad Project: Bits, Pieces and Q&A
    The iPad Project: Apple Remote iPad
    The iPad Project: MacVoices
    The iPad Project: What Kind of Day Has It Been?
    The iPad Project: The Night Before Christmas
    The iPad Project - Paper is Heavy, but eBooks weigh me down.
    The iPad Project: Day Twelve - Guns, Butter and Apps
    Contacting Me
    The iPad Project: Day Eleven - Identity Crisis
    Snow Leopard hidden gem: volume limiter
    On the App Store Volume Purchase Program
    The iPad Project: Day Nine - This Will Kill That .... somehow.
    The iPad Project: Day Eight - The Wake Up Call
    The iPad Project: Day Seven - Take Out The Trash Day
    The iPad Project: Day Six - The Hamiltonian Cycle
    The iPad Project: Day Five
    The iPad Project: Day Four - Activate the iPad!
    The iPad Project: Day Three - End of an Era, and DRM Hell
    The iPad Project: Day Two
    The iPad Project: Day One
    Moving a Mac App: Viewfinder for iPad
    International Apple Store Codes
    Review: Nomadic Wise Walker Backpack
    Using Instruments to Learn About NSCache
    The iPhone 4 Grip of Death
    World Cup Tracker Spreadsheet
    Of 3G iPads and MiFis
    Back In
    iPad, Two Weeks In
    A School Day with the iPad
    Everything Changes
    Caring For The Code
    Basecamp Best Practices
    Apple Boots out the Booty
    £24m School Can't Get Its WiFi Working
    Apple Ships Aperture 3
    DHH Gets Some Entertainment
    A Distributed Phalanx of Tablets
    iPad Fallacy #1: "It's not for content creation"
    The Status Quo is Leaving the Building
    Insecure at Any Speed
    Introducing iPad4Edu.com
    Apple Reversing Policy on Smut Apps?
    Future Shock
    The Polycarbonate-Aluminium Boundary
    Why so long?
    iPod touch in School
    The Apple Soft Porn Store
    On Magazines
    Carbon: The Technology Thought Impossible
    Apple's Technical Feats of the Decade
    2010 Clearout: Obsolete Mac OS X Installers
    A Brief Review of the GBoard
    Geek Western Song
    HFS Promise Drags from IKImageBrowserView
    Manger Chic
    Be Your Own Cloud
    On Ruby Leadership
    Like working on an airplane, booting computers in a hurry is not something we really do
    The Weekly Review as an OmniFocus Project
    The App Store as "Essential Facility"
    We Are All Lech Wa??sa Now
    The Road to Viewfinder 1.0
    Squarespace iPhone App
    First Impressions of the International Kindle from a UK Owner
    Finding the Time: Perspective
    Finding the Time, Part 2: Respect Your Energy
    Finding the Time, Part 1: No TV, No Console
    Brilliant Tax Meme
    Reflections on dConstruct 2009
    Using HardwareGrowler for Aperture card-erase notifications
    Upcoming Speaking and Listening Engagements
    On my iPhone
    Numbers on OS and hardware combinations from FlickrExport.
    Making Changes
    Understanding Git Submodules
    NSConference, Day One
    Git pre-commit hooks and the Clang Static Analyzer
    Get Out of Your Subculture
    The Devalued Prime Minister of a Devalued Government
    iPhone OS 3.0 Wishlist
    Zi6 Sample: Rangers vs. AC Milan
    One Hundred Meeeelioooonnnn Photos
    Drobo Saga: The Resolution
    Forevernote
    Drobo Saga: Part 2
    On the Flickr support in iPhoto '09
    Darkslide Premium gets four mice from Macworld
    Drobo: Its Part In My Downfall
    Videography
    Down Memory Lane: Macs I Have Known And Occasionally Loved
    Upcoming Conferences
    The Joy of Travel Planning
    2009 Tweedictions
    Darkslide 1.5 Post-Mortem
    Recent Media Appearances: Mac Developer Roundtable
    Scotland The Best
    Hidden Internet: Delicious Network
    My Life, as seen through the Ghostbusters franchise
    There is More Than One Mobile Context
    Retail Education
    Retail Therapy
    MacJury Holiday Picks
    Sharp. Tack Sharp.
    Free Idea: FullScreenKit
    Extreme Restraint
    MacDev 2009: Integrating with Apple's Photography Ecosystem
    Apple Retail Store Field Trip
    Could Snow Leopard be free?
    Two Macs: Fail.
    London
    Yet Again: Thanks, Apple!
    MacDev 2009
    A technique for using UITableView and retaining your sanity
    Exposure 1.1 post-mortem
    Git: Rebase
    Dual Systems and Cameras as Computers
    FNDA is now "Former" NDA
    Git: Branching and Fast-forward Merging
    App Store Reviews: credit where it's due
    Git committing workflow with BBEdit
    App Store: I'm out.
    C4[2] Brain-dump
    OmniFocus: My Approach
    Hear my MacVoice
    Where The Numbers Come From
    App Store Review is broken
    Demographics Is Destiny
    It's Out!
    On Switching to Git
    Another 1.0.
    T-minus-twelve
    Keywording in Aperture
    MacBook Air, one month on
    McBarCamp, anyone?
    Media Strategies for a MacBook Air
    John Redwood MP: Parliament Finally Detaches From Reality
    MacBook Air Out of the Box
    Aperture 2 In Use
    Featured Comment: InfoWeek's Response
    Late Night ImageKit
    Bampot of the Week: Alexander Wolfe
    An analogy for RAM and HDD space
    Xcode: Unit Testing Built Products
    ScreenFlow: The iTunes of Screencasting
    Personal Shopping for a MacBook Air at the Apple Store
    MacBook Air: 10-second review
    Aperture 2: Did I Get My Wishes?
    Aperture 2: Migrating to RAW 2.0
    Aperture 2: Lens Model Metadata
    Aperture 2: RAW Decode 2.0
    Aperture 2 First Impressions
    Apple Blogging
    Spending other people's money
    Living in the Cloud
    Politics of Trust
    Mac Apps I Desperately Want on the iPhone
    MacBook Air as "big iPod"
    The BBC Will Decide on Apple
    Macworld Reflections
    'Twas the Night Before Macworld
    Remembering London
    Wishes for Aperture 2.0
    Organising projects and folders in Aperture.
    When I Delete a Photo
    My Photo Editing Workflow
    The Photographs of 2007
    Dopplr and the "so what" of social networking
    Check the new shiny
    If your proprietary RAW workflow dies
    What are XIB files?
    On the Lying Chancellor scandal
    On the Missing CDs scandal
    Paging Bruce Schneier
    Grab Shots
    To use DRM for good and not for evil
    On being asked the Canon vs. Nikon question
    T-Mobile Terminations Team vs. iPhone
    Shooting in the Dark
    On Location
    Twitterrific 3
    Leopard Report
    My Leopard Review
    In Praise of Tiger
    Edinburgh Castle
    iPhone Apps Have to Pay Their Way
    On the iPhone SDK
    7TB Xserve RAID for Sale (UK)
    Going Wide
    Making Do
    The Second Step in Photography
    London Eye
    April Does London
    In The Interests Of....
    Abandoned Places
    Intimidating Ontologies
    An Aperture User Looks At Adobe Lightroom
    HP B9180 First Impressions
    Second Editions
    Photographing Airshows
    The Red Arrows
    Screen Annotation Tools
    Hard Drive Update
    British Pigs Are Worth It
    60,000 Songs. In your achingly fashionable corduroy messenger bag.
    Acorn from Flying Meat
    Colour Management and Printing in Aperture
    Colin Prior at the Apple Store
    I just got schooled by kids
    What's your core competency?
    Coverflow Hater
    Lazyweb: London
    MarsEdit 2
    Fallen
    Photoshoot Post Mortem
    The Road to FlickrExport 3
    Badge of Honour
    Apple Store, Glasgow
    Cameras as Computers
    My iPhone Thoughts
    Policy Wars!
    The Value of You
    Wedding Video
    Wedding Days
    Loch Lomond
    Hidden Leopard treasures in iLife '08
    The Single Most Annoying Thing About Mac OS X
    I CAN HAS CAPITALIZM?
    Busy, busy.
    Racing Days
    Mugabe: Nice chap, really.
    Triggering FlickrExport with Quicksilver
    Sunrise
    Simplicity
    Moo.com has the sticky sticker action!
    Don't make me remember details your database already knows
    xScope: Not just for the Photoshop jockeys
    Living the Kinkless Lifestyle
    Codeville Writeup
    Banging the TomToms.
    A Subversion User Looks at Git - Part 2
    Getting git-svn working on the Mac
    RSS Subscribing Fixed
    Oops: Comments
    A Subversion User Looks at Git
    Any Amount of Computation is Worth It
    Bare Strings Considered Harmful
    Holiday Snaps
    Emulating Flickr
    Daniel Jalkut On Wil Shipley On iPhone’s “SDK”
    Great Holiday
    Aonach Mor
    *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    Entries by Month

Click on a month below to view a list of articles published during that month.
    July 2013 (1)
    June 2013 (4)
    May 2013 (4)
    April 2013 (2)
    March 2013 (2)
    January 2013 (2)
    December 2012 (1)
    November 2012 (2)
    October 2012 (1)
    September 2012 (2)
    August 2012 (5)
    July 2012 (4)
    June 2012 (4)
    April 2012 (2)
    March 2012 (1)
    February 2012 (2)
    January 2012 (8)
    December 2011 (3)
    November 2011 (2)
    October 2011 (3)
    August 2011 (2)
    July 2011 (1)
    June 2011 (1)
    May 2011 (6)
    April 2011 (4)
    March 2011 (7)
    January 2011 (4)
    December 2010 (2)
    November 2010 (3)
    October 2010 (4)
    September 2010 (7)
    August 2010 (18)
    July 2010 (3)
    June 2010 (2)
    May 2010 (3)
    April 2010 (3)
    March 2010 (2)
    February 2010 (9)
    January 2010 (10)
    December 2009 (4)
    November 2009 (8)
    October 2009 (4)
    September 2009 (2)
    August 2009 (2)
    July 2009 (1)
    June 2009 (1)
    May 2009 (2)
    April 2009 (2)
    March 2009 (3)
    February 2009 (4)
    January 2009 (9)
    December 2008 (6)
    November 2008 (8)
    October 2008 (10)
    September 2008 (6)
    August 2008 (1)
    July 2008 (6)
    June 2008 (1)
    April 2008 (2)
    March 2008 (11)
    February 2008 (8)
    January 2008 (13)
    December 2007 (5)
    November 2007 (10)
    October 2007 (16)
    September 2007 (17)
    August 2007 (16)
    July 2007 (23)
  • Reply 54 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Are there any reports to be found that an Android tablet bulk order has been placed by...well, any company or institution? Government?

The iPad is much more high profile, prolific, and most certainly gets the attention of educators more so than competing products. At the same time those "other products" do get adopted.

http://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2013/01/educators-reveal-why-and-how-school-districts-are-adopting-tablets

Sorry for not being clear, I want to know if there's been a 6 figure bulk-order. Not an article about a place where the rolled out 600 tablets, and they're thinking about ordering 1,800 more.
  • Reply 55 of 89

Mmmm...

First, we need to address the issues facing our education system's miserable results, but giving them more distractions is unlikely to be the answer.  As technology has matured, scores in schools have gone down... Doesn't seem like the lack of technology access is responsible for this.

I suspect that most students have 1 or 2 periods per week in the computer lab -- usually 2-3 students per computer. While technology may have advanced, I don't think its limited use can be blamed for test scores. Possibly, low standards, teacher salaries, the NEA, tenure, etc. have more to do with it!

As for carmen sandiego.. .I'll admit I learned some from it, I won't pretend I didn't, HOWEVER the fact is I would have learned FAR more had I spent the same amount of time in a traditional classroom setting.  If that's the case the education software was not so good that I didn't know I was learning...It was just a game that taught a few things.  You can learn a lot from some games, or watching certain TV shows, but I wouldn't recommend replacing all traditional teaching methods with games and TV.

As for the book cost, I admit it is a huge problem that should be addressed.  Honestly, I think most states would be better off writing their own books and self publishing them considering the outrageous cost book publishers want to charge.

As for "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);line-height:1.231;">And do you really want to defend a system supporting 10-year-old textbooks that were out-of -date the day the were printed?"</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;"> Are you really going to argue that elementary school math, science, history, and english textbooks are going to be out-of-date in ten years?  Do grammar rules change, does arithmetic change?  Science does change, but the basics don't change that often. History.... well that happened in the past, sure new theories come up, but again that is stuff that tends to impact higher levels (like college).  The one thing that will change somewhat is geography.  However, how much world geography is taught in elementary school?  Kids learn the continents, and (in the US) tend to learn the states and their capitals.  They might learn about geographic features (oceans, seas, mountains, lakes, etc), and some countries, but any map of the world's countries is going to have inaccuracies (at the bare minimum, the most up to date map will contain disputed areas on it).  Elementary school kids aren't being taught the names of the countries that are constantly changing, and if they are it's not a huge deal that the map in the book is outdated.  The only thing I can think that the book will lack is current events... Things like who is the president, etc.  But again, this is changing often, and is easily handled without a book. So what exactly is the HUGE deal with using 10 year old text books (and how will buying digital text books prevent books from becoming outdated)?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Phil</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;"> </span>

"and how will buying digital text books prevent books from becoming outdated"

Digital books are updated all time -- the publisher just submits a revised book to the digital bookstore -- and the updates are made available to all users of that book...

In the Apple ecosystem, updating a textbook is just like updating an app or any other iTunes content.

I want to be careful here... but you do not seem to be seeking facts or solutions... rather than applying a reasoned approach to the subject, you appear to be flailing about -- offering whatever objections come to mind! You pride yourself on having a PHD in Computer Engineering... How about applying a little of the discipline you learned and maybe a little of the "scientific method" to your approach... Just MHO!
  • Reply 56 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that most students have 1 or 2 periods per week in the computer lab -- usually 2-3 students per computer. While technology may have advanced, I don't think its limited use can be blamed for test scores. Possibly, low standards, teacher salaries, the NEA, tenure, etc. have more to do with it!

"and how will buying digital text books prevent books from becoming outdated"

Digital books are updated all time -- the publisher just submits a revised book to the digital bookstore -- and the updates are made available to all users of that book...

In the Apple ecosystem, updating a textbook is just like updating an app or any other iTunes content.

I want to be careful here... but you do not seem to be seeking facts or solutions... rather than applying a reasoned approach to the subject, you appear to be flailing about -- offering whatever objections come to mind! You pride yourself on having a PHD in Computer Engineering... How about applying a little of the discipline you learned and maybe a little of the "scientific method" to your approach... Just MHO!

Dick, you're spot on here. I don't mean to be rude to Phil...but one of the problems with American Education is too many PHD's. I don't know why they don't just "copy" a successful system...Like the English, or Canadians or Koreans (very rigorous, BTW). We seem to have the haphazard approach and change it every couple of years. Hey, here's idea, copy the curriculum of the American Jesuit private schools. Just do that. 

Also, BTW, great points, Dick! :)

• Reply 57 of 89

I want to address the issue of technology as a distraction to education...

It can be a distraction, but it can provide just the opposite effect!

Here's an anecdotal experience:

My company, Computer Plus, Inc., installed the first high school computer lab in June of 1980 at Saratoga High School Saratoga, Saratoga, CA.

It consisted of 7 Apple ][ computers , a Corvus 5 MB (yes MegaByte) shared hard disk drive, a Corvus 50-pin flat-cable star LAN network. 6 of the computers were deployed on tables (3 students per table) and each of these had a BW monitor and a Corvus Adapter card (all the program and data files resided on the shared hard disk).. The 7th computer was configured similarly, but additionally had two mini-floppy disk drives (with adapter card) and a Parallel Printer Adapter card that interfaced a Centronics printer.

The project was successfully conceived, funded, launched and managed by Ms Marion Kenworthy, Vice Principal Saratoga High School.

The program was wildly successful * and my company and Apple parlayed that preliminary success into many, many installations.

* We dared not fail as my daughter and Gene Carter's daughter attended Saratoga High School (Gene was VP of Marketing at Apple).

Enough history... Here's the point:

On one of the many tours of the lab -- the kids were doing their "lessons" bouncing around, laughing, telling each other what to do, doing, learning and having fun.

An administrator of another school made a comment that I can still hear today: "It's so nice to see the students engaged, sitting on the edge of their seats -- attentive and participating... rather than leaning back passively".

That's education done right -- nothing else was able to distract them from learning!

In movies, it's called the "lean forward moment" -- where the content [plot] causes you to lean forward and pay attention.

The technology was only the vehicle.

Finally, the iPads have a particular advantage of the standard computers -- you don't need to learn the hardware, the OS, the File System and all the other things that get between you and learning [your stuff]. You can be productive, learning, within minutes -- it's so easy and intuitive that a 4-year-old or a 74-year-old can run with it!
  • Reply 58 of 89
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple could manage to enter the school system in other states than California, they could move a significant amount of ipads.  640k for LA only, imagine if it becomes the norm in many cities or states.

The upcoming color plastic shells for ipads mini will be better for schools so Apple can compete on prices. Those institutions tend to be very price sensitive.

There is no doubt that Apple will get other states.

Apple will also get other countries.  Like this 10.6 Million iPad deal with Turkey.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/20/prime-minister-visits-apple-hq-as-turkey-ponders-106m-tablet-buy-for-education

Time will tell.

• Reply 59 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

It didn't work in your case... read the frickin last paragraph, including the link.

• Reply 60 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

There is no doubt that Apple will get other states.

Apple will also get other countries.  Like this 10.6 Million iPad deal with Turkey.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/20/prime-minister-visits-apple-hq-as-turkey-ponders-106m-tablet-buy-for-education

Time will tell.

Meanwhile in Lower Slobgonia Australia the natives get to learn on MS Surfaces... the only place in the world where MS had a "win" at the "lose" of the local kids.

The one thing they will learn is to buy iPads next time... iPads have software.