Comments

• Reply 101 of 190
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Edited by Paul94544 - Today at 9:36 am

How about editing in a few paragraphs.

• Reply 102 of 190
    Really, DED, you need to get Neil Hughes to write your headlines. How about: [I]"Google's new Nexus 7 gets rave reviews as iPad mini sales ease"[/I] thereby implying (without having to prove) causation? These are the headlines that guarantee 300+ forum posts! C'mon DED! Milk it!
  • Reply 103 of 190
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    "Amiga Syndrome" hehe. :)

That made my morning.  The hardware story doesn't exactly fit, but the Amiga users were the exact same kind of rabid pompus weenies that today, drones on and on about Android.  I think Amiga users must have been the very first group that the term "fanboy" could rightly be applied to.  

I would just like to say that my Amiga 3000 was a vertically integrated product that cost more, not less, than its contemporary competition. It had an auto configuring expansion bus so users didn't need to be hardware experts, and unlike Windows at the time, all operations could be completed using the GUI, and it was very efficient with memory.

Does any of this sound familiar?

As another poster pointed out, it actually was superior at the time; but, I think the original point is valid. I would have killed to run a mainstream word processor on it.

I think this is why it was evangelized so strongly - it was certainly deserving, but we were always trying to reach a critical mass so we could get the mainstream software.
  • Reply 104 of 190
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A Fandroid would probably boast about a girlfriend that has size D boobs, while neglecting to mention that she also has the face of a pig and the butt of a cow.

Fandroids have gf's [?!], I thought that's what their tablets were for.

• Reply 105 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    analogjack wrote: »

Fandroids have gf's [?!],

• Reply 106 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Fandroids have gf's [?!], I thought that's what their tablets were for.

They use the tablets to smack them with...

PS: Now you know Tim...

• Reply 107 of 190
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"somehow Google still can't figure out how scrolling animations work"

Because Google doesn't care how scrolling animations work.

They only care how advertising animations work.  

96% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Joshua Topolsky, wrote, "Google's Nexus 7 isn't just an excellent tablet for $200. It's an excellent tablet, period."

Topolsky knows who his audience is.  He's deathly afraid of alienating any of the Verge's bread-and-butter fanboy factions.

He annoyed the Windows fanboy faction by saying this:

"Windows 7 is like poison to me, seriously... 

what's so great about Windows, come on, 

tell me one thing it does better than Mac OS X."

- Joshua Topolsky, 2011

So The Verge immediately did an Ultrabook comparison to soothe the Microsoft fanboy faction.  They trotted out poor old

Joanna Stern, who did a glowing review of several Ultrabooks running Windows.  Poor girl.

So no, Topolsky won't slam any Google Nexus because it would hurt the feelings of the Google fanboy faction.

And they wouldn't tune in as much.  And when you're a media hog like Topolsky, every viewer is important.

• Reply 108 of 190
    Can someone define cheap hardware? And price doesn't count. I stopped reading the article after DeD said the hardware is cheap, but I'm curious what the "standard" is for hardware quality.

Who makes the highest quality GPS?
    Who makes the highest quality CPUs?
    GPUs
    Accelerometer
    Gyroscope
    Display
    Battery
    Molding
    Etc

Until DeD can back up his cheap hardware claim, then he is simply spreading FUD
  • Reply 109 of 190
    jragosta wrote: »
    But mostly because the Verge's scoring system is to rate the tablets, then add 4 to the score if it's an Android tablet and subtract 1 if it's an iOS tablet. The Verge has NEVER been a reasonable source for unbiased reviews.
    See?
    Just wondering do you know how they bias Microsoft.

I want to wonder how they make money on $40 tablets plus how you see a 4.3 inch screen running a tablet software on non retina

Well the score was *2 from what it should
  • Reply 110 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Can someone define cheap hardware? And price doesn't count. I stopped reading the article after DeD said the hardware is cheap, but I'm curious what the "standard" is for hardware quality.

A device that doesn't fall apart after 3 months of light usage.
  • Reply 111 of 190
    stylorouge wrote: »
    This article is sooooo Bias. Why another company can't have a better product than Apple? I doubt all these problems exists in first place. It is really sad to read this article. Does Apple pay you guys? OK we get it Apple is the best nothing is better than Apple. We wont buy the Nexus 7 only iPads got the message.

1. Bias? You say it like having an opinion is a bad thing.
    2. Anyone can make a product that's "better" than Apple. But this isn't that product.
    3. You "doubt" these problems exist? Don't you mean "deny"?
    4. Don't be sad. Be sad for important things, like why people starve in first world economies.
    5. You really think Apple has to pay people to engage social media and forums with praise? Let me put it this way: when Oprah tweeted how the Surface RT was her new favorite tablet, she sent the tweet from her iPad.
  • Reply 112 of 190
    This site is featuring more and more sour-grapes opinion pieces, and it is truly pathetic.
  • Reply 113 of 190
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

so let's compare each category score:

Design: mini gets 9 vs. N7 gets 8. this is basically the whole physical package. so a noticeably smaller screen in a plastic shell is marked down only 1 point? i give it a 7.

Display: mini gets a 7 while N7 gets a 10. so a retina display with flawed color accuracy get a huge 3 points more? i give it a 9.

[...]

Software: mini gets an 8, N7 gets an 9! this is more horseshit! this is about the OS + apps, and apps are an undeniable Android tablet weak spot. should be at least a 2 point differential, so it should be a 6.

Battery: mini gets a 9, N7 gets 8. but with about 1/3 shorter real battery life N7 should be a 6.

Ecosystem: mini gets a 10, N7 gets 8. ok.

Design: If a larger display was worth design points, should 4.7 inch displays earn android devices extra points compared to the iphone5?

Display: I'm no display expert, but in Anandtech's quantitative review of the nexus 7's display, they don't seem to have problems with color accuracy (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/2)

Lastly, does "Software" include apps or just the OS? If that category includes third-party apps, then what does "Ecosystem" measure? The ipad certainly has better third-party apps, but Android these days is in some respects more advanced than iOS. Features like intents for inter-app communication (sort of like iOS URL schemes but much more general) and multiple user profiles put android closer in functionality to OS X than iOS. 

• Reply 114 of 190
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I really like the new Nexus 7, a lot. I got one last week from an online dealer as I'm still not able to really get out of bed yet. I have experienced zero lag with any of the apps I've installed. In fact I am finally impressed with Androids speed. Every Android device that I have ever owned was plagued wityh lag, not this one. The screen utterly destroys the iPad Mini's screen, I think it's even brighter than my iPad 4. Anyone looking for a low cost 7 inch tablet should really give the Nexus 7 a look at. Yes, I'm saying this in a Apple forum but guys it's pretty nice, no B.S.. It's thin, light, great battery, screen is the best I have seen yet on a 7" tablet, fast, very fast, lots of memory and despite what people say here about the lack of apps, well I have every app that is on my iPad except for the music creation ones and they look and run fantastically.
  • Reply 115 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

This site is featuring more and more truth about competitors that everyone else is paid off to ignore.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 116 of 190

The tech media is a steaming pile of geek turds generated mostly by drama seeking man-children.

Pretty much end of story right there.

• Reply 117 of 190
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A device that doesn't fall apart after 3 months of light usage.

Thanks that is why I drive a BMW, 207K after 14 years and still goes like new. I very much doubt he Ford Focus will even be running at 100K
  • Reply 118 of 190

Quoted wrong post

• Reply 119 of 190
    I'll never ever buy anything from Evil Larry Page. Not for 1$, nor if i receive 1000$ with it.

Stick it in your evil dark stink-hole, Google !
  • Reply 120 of 190
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    stylorouge wrote: »
    This article is sooooo Bias. Why another company can't have a better product than Apple? I doubt all these problems exists in first place. It is really sad to read this article. Does Apple pay you guys? OK we get it Apple is the best nothing is better than Apple. We wont buy the Nexus 7 only iPads got the message.

Have you used a nexus? Is it not biased if the claims are accurate. It's not that other companies can't make a better product than the iPad, it's that they haven't, and appear to be getting a free pass in the review process despite serious hardware defects.