Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is the ugliest watch I have ever seen! I guess this is what happens when SamSung can't find someone (Apple) to copy from.

On the bright side, this will give ammunition to the later articles on how Samsung copied Apple's iWatch.  This will be the part where they show "what Samsung smart watches looked like before the iWatch came out."  

Followed by the shot of the Samsung watch that looks startlingly identical to whatever Apple comes out with next year.  image

• Reply 22 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents.

C'mon really?
  • Reply 23 of 155
    As with all their bright ideas, Samsung seems to have stolen another one... this time from Maxwell Smart! ROTF LMAO
  • Reply 24 of 155
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

On the bright side, this will give ammunition to the later articles on how Samsung copied Apple's iWatch.  This will be the part where they show "what Samsung smart watches looked like before the iWatch came out."  

Followed by the shot of the Samsung watch that looks startlingly identical to whatever Apple comes out with next year.  image

and then Samsung and their shills will say "this is the natural progression of technology".

• Reply 25 of 155
    Oh gosh.

Surely they can't be putting out something like that!? In 2013!? As some people are speculating, this has to be a decoy of some sort. Even Samsung can't be this laughably bad with their design.
  • Reply 26 of 155
    gazoobee wrote: »
    They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

A digital watch you can just glance at, and see the time.
    You can also set it for the more sensible 24 hour time and not be bothered by all that, "Is it 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?" nonsense. 

I agree. I'm going to trade in my Rolex and ride the "wearable tech" wave.

This is such a dumb concept.
  • Reply 27 of 155
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    What an abomination.
  • Reply 28 of 155
    What did you seriously expect? Samsung has nothing to photocopy from Apple yet. This is their idea of what 'innovation' is.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

As this is a prototype there are bound to be some changes from now until the final release, but if they're this far behind the Pebble (what's arguably the best smart watch available as of today), I don't see much hope for the final version.

• Reply 30 of 155
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Hahahahahahajahahaha. What a fugly piece of junk!
  • Reply 31 of 155
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT'S SO UGLY.
    I don't agree with you often but no argument here. If this is really what they are releasing, it is just flat out ugly.
  • Reply 32 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.

History repeats. MP3 players. Smartphones. Tablets. There is a pattern. Inferior products are in the market for some time before Apple releases its superior product. Then, everyone tries to copy.

This time, I hope Microsoft and Google can both start releasing their smart watches before the iWatch is released. It will be a lot of fun to watch.

• Reply 33 of 155
    As expected, it looks like **it.
  • Reply 34 of 155

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

It will be a lot of fun to… watch.

Tee hee.

• Reply 35 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.

Isn't this a prototype, though?

• Reply 36 of 155
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jj.yuan wrote: »

History repeats. MP3 players. Smartphones. Tablets. There is a pattern. Inferior products are in the market for some time before Apple releases its superior product. Then, everyone tries to copy.

This time, I hope Microsoft and Google can both start releasing their smart watches before the iWatch is released. It will be a lot of fun to watch.

I agree and its gotten to a point that it's pathetic. I don't believe that only Apple employs people capable of coming up with good designs for CE.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    I'd rather wear a porcupine on my wrist.
  • Reply 38 of 155

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

I'd rather wear a porcupine on my wrist.

They are pretty adorable.

• Reply 39 of 155

Wow, Samsung, wow...

So this is what you get from Samsung when they don't have an Apple design to copy. Brutal. I'm no fan of Samsung but I generally don't go out of my way to be negative about them either. I can acknowledge that the S3 and S4 are good Android phones if Android is your thing. But goodnight, that thing looks heinous, and I just can't imagine needing something like that. I think what Tim Cook said about the focus needing to be sensors is dead on.

And who the hell wants to do FaceTime/Skype on a smart watch, really?!? Just hold your arm up in that position for 30 seconds and tell me it's a good idea.

I didn't expect much from Samsung's smart watch, but even I'm surprised at how bad and off the mark it's looking like it could be. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised knowing how terrible their TV interfaces are, which they also have had to design without the aid of Apple's design for some time now. (Though that's not to say there's really any good TV interfaces right now from any manufacturer; the bar is very, very low...)

• Reply 40 of 155
    Look, I am the first to bash Samsung, but like with rumored iPhones, etc. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they announce and show off a production ready model. And it is the first iteration. First gen is the kicking the tires. Same will likely hold true for Apple. Unless the square nano was their first gen, so to speak, I expect that the first gen iWatch will be different from the second/third gens, just like the iPhone and iPad.