Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

Comments

• Reply 201 of 238
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn’t sell out in 40 seconds. Apple is doomed.

Even worse, Apple  didn't have enough stock to satisfy customers.

Unfortunately  Apple's stock price is a downer tomorrow, even before Apple gives the total sold numbers.

• Reply 202 of 238
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If 7 million iPhones aren't sold over the weekend, Apple shareholders are going to get totally reamed. Wall Street's expectations of Apple are impossible to beat. Everything that Apple does is going to be tossed aside based on overall declining market share when compared to all of Android market share. The hedge fund managers are total jackasses because all they see is Android running away with market share in China and India. It's just incredible how narrow-minded those big investors are. Apple is going to make a fortune over the Christmas holidays but shareholders aren't going to get a thing out of it as Apple's share price continues to get beat up.

Don't panic, those hedge funds play it both ways. 

They'll beat Apple down now, then up again with some later news.  Remember sell on news.

• Reply 203 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I like the idea of product Red. 

Along time ago I had a Nano/Mini product Red. It looked good with the white accents.

Here's how it looks, wallpaper courtesy of a quick Bing image search:-

• Reply 204 of 238
    Yoo hoo! Mine delivers on Wed, Sept 25. That's nearly a week earlier than indicated at purchase time.
  • Reply 205 of 238
    Why would they sell something they have none of! and who in their right mind would place an order online now that it's common knowledge that Apple does not have any in stock? (I mean I would go from store to store instead).
  • Reply 206 of 238
    [B]5c flop or not?[/B]
    No matter how much we argue about the 5c being a flop or a best seller, you have to keep in mind that it's likely we'll never know any real figures.

The most common prediction (and I guess find out today) is that Apple won't separate opening weekend figures like after the ipad mini...

As far as complaints about it being too expensive? What? There's not much mystery in how Apple price thei previous years models.

The only surprise to me (and most I think) was that I was expecting lower specs, and it to take the entry level spot.

[B]Price drops for Christmas? [/B]
    Hmmm. What have they done every other year? Kept everything the same price for pretty much one whole year! Unlike every other brand of cellphone that gradually reduces over the year.

I also don't quite understand yet how the US model works for $99 & $199 models. Is that on the same terms of contract for both?(eg. Calls,text & data?)

Over here in NZ the on contract price varies depending on what level of plan you take. You can get the newest one for free if you sign up for around $130/month (unlimited call,text, & 2 Gb data), or $400 off for the $50 a month plan.
    The outright cost is about $200 different ($649 4s, and likely $849 5c and $1049 5s - including all taxes).
    When the difference is a couple of hundred dollars, the middle and lower option become more attractive to the entry level buyer...

[B]And finally, the bigger screen...[/B]
    Going by previous patterns, extremely unlikely before the next yearly update. I'd definitely feel like getting the pitchfork and burning torch out if they did another iPad style mid cycle refresh on my (soon) new iPhone.

And can we give it a rest on saying there will or won't be a bigger screen like we know it's a fact? Even if you're right in the end - either way it's just educated guess work now.

And the crap people spout here about only morons buying bigger screens (and/or other brands). I know plenty of intelligent people that have a S3 or S4, and I know plenty of others that don't give a toss about phones at all. You might think its a marketing ploy, but it's obvious to me that a lot of people enjoy the extra screen space. Which is why I'm sitting typing on an iPad instead of the iPhone.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

I can personally see bigger screen iPhone as a likelihood, and I'd definitely want to try one, but like everything Apple, we'll find out on their schedule (with months of leaks beforehand).
  • Reply 207 of 238

People willing to wait in line are "enthusiasts", and are going for the 'best' one avail:   5s.

The 5c is clearly for a broader based market, and by definition aren't the ones queue-ing up (except for the REALLY 'colorful').

They could sell zero 5c's for the first week, then a steady medium-sized-stream of them forever.

We don't know anything about 5c yet.

PS:  I know the whole Braun thing inspiring the colors.  The iPod Mini in the same 5 colors as the old Braun products (cameras was it?).   I saw that story here I think.

So I get all that.  But from a fundamental design perspective, what's the thing on pastels vs.....regular colors.  They don't have to be out of the Crayola box of 8 (they just ditched those colors from iOS 6 -> 7), but sometimes those "timeless" pastels seem too......Easter-y.   Why is Forest Green bad, but the Apple-Green good?  Why pink vs a true Red?

Is there a one-line explanation why pastels are so "with it" over the decades?

Thoughts welcome.

• Reply 208 of 238
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You're a great Dad! :) 

I bought my daughter (21 at the time) the original iPhone a day after it came out. A week later I asked how she liked it. She said, "Dad, I love it. My whole life is in this phone!" I was really pleased.

Of course, she meant the photos of her friends, access to email, visual voicemail, an organized contact list, easy texting, access to the internet, etc., etc.

I totally turned her on to Apple. I gave her my MacBook to take to Med School. After the first year she bought a MacBookPro. More iPhones and now iPads, retina and a mini, ATV, Time Capsule, iPhone 5, and on and on! :)

Wow! Sounds like you're a great Dad too .... kinda wish you were my Dad, but then again, seeing as how I'll soon be 72, that might not be such a good idea after all. Congrats on adding to the "Apple Army".    :)

• Reply 209 of 238
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder which color in the 5c line up is selling the best. Perhaps the 'sedate' white one. Other manufacturers such as Nokia and Motorola are selling phones in similar bright colors to those offered by Apple so perhaps they are trending, but I think the white one should have a broader appeal.
    Yellow was the first one to sold out (carriers)
  • Reply 210 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yoo hoo! Mine delivers on Wed, Sept 25. That's nearly a week earlier than indicated at purchase time.

Yeah can't complain here.

Ordered my 64GB silver Verizon at 12:03 on 9/20 and it shipped last night.

ZhengZhou, China 09/23/2013 6:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
      09/23/2013 5:30 P.M. Departure Scan
      09/23/2013 5:12 A.M. Origin Scan
    China 09/23/2013 5:06 A.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

ETA Thursday 9/26.

• Reply 211 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRon man View Post

And finally, the bigger screen...

Going by previous patterns, extremely unlikely before the next yearly update. I'd definitely feel like getting the pitchfork and burning torch out if they did another iPad style mid cycle refresh on my (soon) new iPhone.

And can we give it a rest on saying there will or won't be a bigger screen like we know it's a fact? Even if you're right in the end - either way it's just educated guess work now.

And the crap people spout here about only morons buying bigger screens (and/or other brands). I know plenty of intelligent people that have a S3 or S4, and I know plenty of others that don't give a toss about phones at all. You might think its a marketing ploy, but it's obvious to me that a lot of people enjoy the extra screen space. Which is why I'm sitting typing on an iPad instead of the iPhone.

I can personally see bigger screen iPhone as a likelihood, and I'd definitely want to try one, but like everything Apple, we'll find out on their schedule (with months of leaks beforehand).

Nine million votes with the wallet in three days disprove the big screen theory once and for all.

Get over it.

• Reply 212 of 238
    Quote:

My 64GB silver Verizon 5s will be here Thursday... I gave up my 32GB S3 for it.  It sold last night on Ebay for $320... a great price considering the resale life of an Android phone is a year at most.

Why did I switch?  For compatibility.  I bought a MacBook Air a couple months ago and fell in love... and the S3 just isn't all that compatible with OS X and iTunes.

I love the big screen S3... but will sacrifice screen size for compatibility and resale value.  I did pay the $849 for the 5s but I know when my account is upgrade eligible next July it won't be but a couple more months till the next iPhone... and I can sell this 5s and basically upgrade for free.

I just hope the next one has a bigger screen.  :)

• Reply 213 of 238
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

5c flop or not?

No matter how much we argue about the 5c being a flop or a best seller, you have to keep in mind that it's likely we'll never know any real figures.

The most common prediction (and I guess find out today) is that Apple won't separate opening weekend figures like after the ipad mini...

As far as complaints about it being too expensive? What? There's not much mystery in how Apple price thei previous years models.

The only surprise to me (and most I think) was that I was expecting lower specs, and it to take the entry level spot.

Price drops for Christmas?

Hmmm. What have they done every other year? Kept everything the same price for pretty much one whole year! Unlike every other brand of cellphone that gradually reduces over the year.

I also don't quite understand yet how the US model works for $99 & $199 models. Is that on the same terms of contract for both?(eg. Calls,text & data?)

Over here in NZ the on contract price varies depending on what level of plan you take. You can get the newest one for free if you sign up for around $130/month (unlimited call,text, & 2 Gb data), or $400 off for the $50 a month plan.

The outright cost is about $200 different ($649 4s, and likely $849 5c and $1049 5s - including all taxes).

When the difference is a couple of hundred dollars, the middle and lower option become more attractive to the entry level buyer...

And finally, the bigger screen...

I agree that Apple should come out with bigger screen model, but I have lots of friends that don't want the bigger screen.  In terms of percentage of what sells, the 4inch is more popular, but the larger screens are definitely catching up, but still one's choice what they want.

I'm sure Apple will release a bigger screen soon, but again, leave the screen size choice to those that are buying a phone.  They can always figure out a way to upgrade.

As far as pricing, it's real easy.  Go over to Apple's site and go to the bottom right of the screen and choose a different country and you'll see what the US market is and compare to your own.
  • Reply 214 of 238
    hill60 wrote: »
    Nine million votes with the wallet in three days disprove the big screen theory once and for all.

Get over it.

Very true, but now the question is what can Apple do to the iPhone to have even bigger sales next year. This was a 80% increase of sales, can they repeat the same growth next year? They're going to have to sell 16.2 million iPhones next year just to stay at the same growth, is that type of growth sustainable?
  • Reply 215 of 238
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

now the question is what can Apple do to the iPhone to have even bigger sales next year.

That’s always "the question” and they always show us. Next year’s a case redesign, following trends. They’ll find a way to make it “even thinner!” while retaining (or increasing) battery life. Maybe by Fall 2014 someone will have built an effing telephony chip that actually does all the bands so there would be only one build line in three sizes and three colors.

This was a 80% increase of sales, can they repeat the same growth next year?

As little of the market as they have right now, of course.

…is that type of growth sustainable? 

Until such time as the next big thing comes along, yes. It is.

We’ve seen this before, and from Apple, even. By the time the iPod, in all its myriad forms, had hit saturation, they had the iPhone ready. They know what they’re doing, even when we don’t.

• Reply 216 of 238
    That’s always "the question” and they always show us. Next year’s a case redesign, following trends. They’ll find a way to make it “even thinner!” while retaining (or increasing) battery life. Maybe by Fall 2014 someone will have built an effing telephony chip that actually does all the bands so there would be only one build line in three sizes and three colors.

As little of the market as they have right now, of course.

Until such time as the next big thing comes along, yes. It is.

We’ve seen this before, and from Apple, even. By the time the iPod, in all its myriad forms, had hit saturation, they had the iPhone ready. They know what they’re doing, even when we don’t.

What trends are you referring to? How does one redesign a case that's already very thin? Telephony chip is something that's out of their hands.

I actually doubt more that they could build 16.2 million iPhones for launch day than sell them.

The iPod begat the iPhone, the iPhone begat the iPad, what's next? That's the question that has stockholders fearful. Is there a piece of under served, currently small market CE that Apple can redefine the market for?
  • Reply 217 of 238
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What trends are you referring to?

Come off it.

How does one redesign a case that's already very thin?

Same way they’ve done it every other year since ought seven.

Telephony chip is something that's out of their hands.

For now. Who knows; they could buy up a one of those firms or pay Qualcomm exorbitant sums to make a custom one.

That's the question that has stockholders fearful.

They’re ALWAYS fearful. The trick is to give them a glass of warm milk and send them back to bed.

• Reply 218 of 238
    hill60 wrote: »

Get over it.

Ha ha... Thanks. I'll agree to disagree.

Don't mistake my like for big screens as saying current size is bad. Just different people like different stuff.

But it's a big leap to say that anything to do with opening weekend sales proves anything to do with bigger screens when there wasn't even one on offer...

As per my comments on another thread:

Hard to back it up too (popularity comparisons) when you take into account that for the last few years Apple have sold out of every iPhone they've made.

It's possible and likely that they could've sold millions more this year if they could produce them in time.

Pretty impressive how they've managed to ramp up production this much each year, but hard to measure whether this years is more popular or just better stock levels.

Will be the same too (hard to tell if more popular or just better stock) if a big screen one is ever produced, unless they come out with two flagship models with exactly the same specs except screen size.

Again, don't mistake my opinions as saying yours are wrong. A few years ago a 55' telly was ridiculously huge and expensive, and people would say they were "obese", where as now it's more normal to have one, and people find pretty quickly that old smaller Telly's look awkwardly small.

I guess you don't have to worry though about carrying one round in your pocket or touching the screen with one hand width.

Each to their own. I'm still looking forward to a 5s as soon as I can get my hands on one (but I'd have to seriously think about selling it if a bigger screen comes out next year...)
  • Reply 219 of 238
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Very true, but now the question is what can Apple do to the iPhone to have even bigger sales next year. This was a 80% increase of sales, can they repeat the same growth next year? They're going to have to sell 16.2 million iPhones next year just to stay at the same growth, is that type of growth sustainable?

Don't forget that we're still at the stage where demand has been bigger than supply at launch.

If they could've ramped up production then they'd likely have seen more sales in the launch markets, let alone if they can have enough to launch in more countries at once.
  • Reply 220 of 238
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What trends are you referring to? How does one redesign a case that's already very thin? Telephony chip is something that's out of their hands.

I actually doubt more that they could build 16.2 million iPhones for launch day than sell them.

The iPod begat the iPhone, the iPhone begat the iPad, what's next? That's the question that has stockholders fearful. Is there a piece of under served, currently small market CE that Apple can redefine the market for?

iWatch