Apple updates iMac with Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & GeForce 700 series graphics

Comments

• Reply 121 of 161
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

No Mavericks. No TB2. No USB 3.1 (which was always unlikely.)

No return to RAM access on the 21". No improved display (whether Retina or 4K.)

I can accept all of those for now, even if I would definitely have liked TB2.

What annoys me a little bit though is that iMacs with a VESA mount are still completely separate devices. We have to keep distinct spares for positions with regular iMacs and arm- or wall-mounted ones... which is a bit of a drag.

• Reply 122 of 161
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,152member
    The 700 GPUs are hardly any faster and based on the same silicon as 600M, Haswell is hardly any faster, and on the low end there may even be a slight drop with the Iris Pro 5200 in more games than not. But I do hope the 13" pro duo get the Iris Pro.

They should at least start doing Momentus XT hybrid drives as standard, if they are insistent on 5400rpm laptop drives.
  • Reply 123 of 161
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
    As does the 4S.

Thought it did 720. I mean, shoots in 720; it will play 1080 fine.

• Reply 124 of 161
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hinges on the TiBook?

Oh yeah, that was actually quite a widespread problem with the earlier ones... Even received an own paragraph on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G4#Quality_issues

• Reply 125 of 161
    I guess they must be really focusing the keynote on the new Mac Pro (and mavericks), we might see a minor Mac mini and book in the keynote.

Just wondering when was the last time all macs recieved a moderate upgrade in the same year?
  • Reply 126 of 161
    I'm quite happy with my current late 2012 iMac so I won't be updating anytime soon, but I know a man who will...
  • Reply 127 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

4K while nice, I just don't see it happening anytime soon for the iMac.  That's a huge amount of pixels, which will require a beefy GPU, and obviously people will complain about NEVER buying a 1st-gen of anything Apple.

I think 4K will be left for the Mac Pro for the near future.  My 27" iMac at home and my 27" LED display at the office (for the MBA) has fantastic resolution and considering the distance the monitors are from my eyes, retina on the desktop for everyday work is more for spec-heads than the joe consumer.

I doubt it will be cheap too...

It would make sense that they introduce retina/4K into the cinema display first to accompany the Mac Pro before rolling it out to the iMac sometime next year...

• Reply 128 of 161

How do you think the 775M on the new 27" machines compares to the 680MX on the 2012 iMacs? I have a 2012 iMac 27" with the 680MX upgrade on order at B&H for $1849 with no tax, but am considering canceling it and buying a new iMac with the 775M for $1899 + tax with the education discount.

Gaming is fairly important to me but I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer. I mostly play Day of Defeat: Source and CS:GO, but I wouldn't mind having more power to handle newer games.

Either the 680MX or the 775M with slightly-faster CPU would be a huge upgrade from my current machine, an old 24" iMac with the GeForce 8800GS.

I know the 680MX is a pretty substantial upgrade over the 675MX, but I'm just not clear on how the new 775M compares.

• Reply 129 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin L Franks View Post

How do you think the 775M on the new 27" machines compares to the 680MX on the 2012 iMacs? I have a 2012 iMac 27" with the 680MX upgrade on order at B&H for $1849 with no tax, but am considering canceling it and buying a new iMac with the 775M for $1899 + tax with the education discount.

Gaming is fairly important to me but I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer. I mostly play Day of Defeat: Source and CS:GO, but I wouldn't mind having more power to handle newer games.

Either the 680MX or the 775M with slightly-faster CPU would be a huge upgrade from my current machine, an old 24" iMac with the GeForce 8800GS.

I know the 680MX is a pretty substantial upgrade over the 675MX, but I'm just not clear on how the new 775M compares.

Per GameDebate, you should stick with the 680MX over the 775M:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1769&gid2=1290&compare=geforce-gtx-775m-vs-geforce-gtx-680mx

I ordered the new iMac with the 780M, which is marginally better than the 680MX, mostly due to twice the RAM:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1290&gid2=1242&compare=geforce-gtx-680mx-vs-geforce-gtx-780m

• Reply 130 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin L Franks View Post

Well I found the answer to my dilemma.

With the announcement of the updated iMacs, there are some great deals on refurbished 2012 iMacs. I bought this:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB memory

1 TB Fusion Drive

GeForce 680MX

...for $1999 + tax. With AppleCare the total came out to under $2,300.

Not bad, I would have paid just over $2,100 for the i5 / 8 GB / 1 TB hard drive (not Fusion) / 680MX plus AppleCare from B&H.
  • Reply 131 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Great. Now where the hell is the MacBook Pro refresh?

Thanks.

Soon, I hope Apple will update it till the end of this year.

• Reply 132 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post

Soon, I hope Apple will update it till the end of this year.

Yes, it will happen sometime before the end of 2013 according to Apple.

• Reply 133 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Apple once again pulling ahead of the "competition". Another nail in the coffin of PCs.

I did a quick imac / desktop hackintosh substitute

apple.de / store

iMac 27  -    2600 eur / 3500 usd

3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor  

16 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2x 8 GB

256 GB Flash-Speicher

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 4 GB GDDR5

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Deutsch) & Benutzerhandbuch (Deutsch)

AppleCare Protection Plan für iMac

Hackintosh 27 Desktop  -  1450 eur / 1950 usd

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 4 GB GDDR5 = AMD HD 7870 ( 150 eur / 200 usd )

3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor =  Intel Core i5-4670K, 4x 3.40GHz ( 200 eur / 270 usd )

256 GB Flash-Speicher = Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB ( 200 eur / 270 usd )

16 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM =  Corsair Vengeance Pro  16GB, DDR3-1600  ( 130 eur / 175 usd )

27" Display  IPS-Technologie, Auflösung von 2560 x 1440 Pixeln =  LG 27EA83-D 2560x1440 IPS Wide Gamut ( 650 eur / 875 usd )

motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77 ( 110 eur / 150 usd )

OSX Mountain Lion ( 18 eur / 25 usd )

+ case/ + power supply

What do you think?

• Reply 134 of 161
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They didn’t even update its own product page. :???:

This is perhaps a good thing. I say it in the sense that Apple is walking away from the classic update pattern to something more flexible, hopefully having as goal to silently update their computers with newer components, even minor, without making a fuss about it. This is something people were looking for since a long time; just put the new parts in, when available, without waiting for a significant update, which would warrant organizing a special event about it.

• Reply 135 of 161
    It is... You just get a default discount by not modding your BTO to include it. :)
    saarek wrote: »
    Such a shame that the Fusion drive is not standard.
  • Reply 136 of 161
    Can I use the iMac 21,5 (1299,00) as a Display? I want to buy the new model first, and then, next year I want to buy the new Mac Pro. When I can use the iMac then as a display I dont have to spend another 999,00 for a Thunderbolt Display and 21,5" is enough for me. Please help, because nobody can tell me if it will work...Thank you
  • Reply 137 of 161
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    p.straf wrote: »
    Can I use the iMac 21,5 (1299,00) as a Display? I want to buy the new model first, and then, next year I want to buy the new Mac Pro. When I can use the iMac then as a display I dont have to spend another 999,00 for a Thunderbolt Display and 21,5" is enough for me. Please help, because nobody can tell me if it will work...Thank you

I know you can with the 27":
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6662068_use-imac-monitor.html

It looks like they've added Target Display Mode to the newest models for the 21", as well:
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

In any event, search for 'target display mode' to find out for sure.
  • Reply 138 of 161
    Originally Posted by PB View Post
    This is perhaps a good thing. I say it in the sense that Apple is walking away from the classic update pattern to something more flexible, hopefully having as goal to silently update their computers with newer components, even minor, without making a fuss about it. This is something people were looking for since a long time; just put the new parts in, when available, without waiting for a significant update, which would warrant organizing a special event about it.

Interesting, but they retain value because of how they’ve been updating, not this way. 

You’ll see value( what’s a stronger word than plummet?) if this happens.

• Reply 139 of 161
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I'd like to see some different screen sizes. I find 21.5" a little too small and 27" much too large.

• Reply 140 of 161
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'd like to see some different screen sizes. I find 21.5" a little too small and 27" much too large.

There used to be a 24" but it was replaced by the 27.