Samsung adds Galaxy Gear support to more phones, but faces high return rate at Best Buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung on Tuesday announced an update to its Premium Suite software package, making it available to owners of its Galaxy S3, S4, and Note 2 devices, adding support for its beleaguered Galaxy Gear smartwatch to the handsets.

Galaxy Gear

Alongside Galaxy Gear support, the update will also bring Android 4.3 to the devices, and Samsung promises the Galaxy S4 Mini and Galaxy Mega will also receive the Premium Suite revision. The announcement is welcome news for Samsung device owners who want to get their hands on the company's smartwatch, though that group's membership rolls are reportedly dwindling.

According to a report from Geek.com, Best Buy outlets stocking the Galaxy Gear are facing return rates of up to 30 percent. The website notes that Samsung is concerned about this figure and has asked employees of its Best Buy stores-within-a-store to help ascertain the reasons for the high incidence of dissatisfaction from consumers.

The Galaxy Gear has been widely panned by the tech media since its unveiling last month, and not just for its heretofore limited list of compatible phones.

Critics have taken issue with nearly every facet of the device, from its $300 price tag to the reportedly short-lived battery and the watch's user interface design. The New York Times's David Pogue went so far as to call the Galaxy Gear "a human-interface train wreck," saying that "nobody will buy this watch, and nobody should."

Samsung is said to have rushed the Gear out the door to beat Apple's rumored iWatch to market. Apple reportedly has a team of more than 100 employees working on a wrist-worn device, and has augmented their internal resources by bringing domain experts like former Yves St Laurent CEO Paul Deneve and fitness guru Jay Blahnik on board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    So do they subtract off the returns when they count units shipped? ;)
  • Reply 2 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Where is my picture of Nelson when I need it?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    According to <a href="http://www.geek.com/android/galaxy-gear-support-coming-to-samsung-phones-amid-concern-over-30-return-rate-1575151/">a report</a> from <em>Geek.com</em>, Best Buy outlets stocking the Galaxy Gear are facing return rates of up to 30 percent. The website notes that Samsung is concerned about this figure and has asked employees of its Best Buy stores-within-a-store to help ascertain the reasons for the high incidence of dissatisfaction from consumers.

This is also a company that sent people in to interview Apple Store line waiters at the launch of the iPhone 5c/5s. I love that the answer is right there in plain sight, but they don't get it. This is the "faster horse" that Henry Ford's customers would have asked for.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Scamsung should be ashamed of themselves for coming out with such garbage. The only thing I'm surprised about is the "low" rate of return. I honestly though it would be at least a 50% return.. minimum.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why are they returning them? Because they don’t read the fine print. Up until today the Gear only worked with the Note 3. I suspect people either expected the Gear to fully function on its own or expected it work with any smartphone, or at least any Samsung smartphone.

Well, that and the fact that the product is not very good.:\
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Well when the iWatch comes out this disaster of a prerelease fake will be put to bed.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So do they subtract off the returns when they count units shipped? image

NO! 

Shipped once to the store, then Shipped back to Samsung, that's 2 :P 

• Reply 8 of 28
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

I am surprised a single person blew $300 for one of these things.

• Reply 9 of 28
    See, I would love it if Apple comes out and says "we made it all up just to see if they'd do something this stupid."
  • Reply 10 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    beakernx01 wrote: »
    See, I would love it if Apple comes out and says "we made it all up just to see if they'd do something this stupid."

Better yet, leak info about a secret, paradigm shifting innovation they have in toilet bowl cleaners ...
  • Reply 11 of 28
    It's the "vision thing." Some have it, some don't. Hope Apple continues to have it post-Steve …
  • Reply 12 of 28

Last weeks Twit podcast had one of the commentators state he knew someone who has seen the purported iWatch. He says, it has a curved glass display and looks and works absolutely beautiful. It will be marketed more as a fashion accessory but will also have great functionality. The person stated that it should absolutely dominate the watch market just like they did with the phone and tablet market. This will definitely be Cook's crowning moment since he's taken over.

• Reply 13 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I am surprised a single person blew $300 for one of these things.

They're actually not bad looking in person but I agree that $300 is too expensive.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're actually not bad looking in person but I agree that $300 is too expensive.

I think the tech is just not there yet to provide a good experience with real-world expectations.  Samsung is perfect proof of that.  There is too much babysitting necessary to keep that crap watch running.

If anyone will do it right, it will be Apple.  They will not come out with any type of iWatch until they feel the tech is ready for the masses.

Samsung on the other hand, came out with the watch simply to accuse Apple of copying their "innovation" once/if Apple enters that market segment while huddling in a corner with a finger on the copy-machine "start" button.

• Reply 15 of 28
    Not sure why Samsung even bothered to create this monstrosity except to give DED something to put in the "Samsung smartwatches before the iWatch" column of the graphic he's going to create someday.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy can spin it and say only 3 units were returned and then mumble "out of every 10 sold".
  • Reply 17 of 28
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

I can't believe these Android numbnuts actually bought this POS. Good Lord.

• Reply 18 of 28
    Last weeks Twit podcast had one of the commentators state he knew someone who has seen the purported iWatch. He says, it has a curved glass display and looks and works absolutely beautiful. It will be marketed more as a fashion accessory but will also have great functionality. The person stated that it should absolutely dominate the watch market just like they did with the phone and tablet market. This will definitely be Cook's crowning moment since he's taken over.

Rene Ritchie? He currently has the best sources inside Apple other than Dalrymple.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I think the issue is 1) that Samsung is asking people what they want. But also, 2) that they are asking the wrong people. It seems they are targeting the typical Android user who wants to constantly fiddle and tinker with their technology, instead of the user who thought about or previously owned Android and then when iOS instead. That's who they should be targeting... Although my view is they should not be asking at all.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

I think the issue is 1) that Samsung is asking people what they want. But also, 2) that they are asking the wrong people. It seems they are targeting the typical Android user who wants to constantly fiddle and tinker with their technology, instead of the user who thought about or previously owned Android and then when iOS instead. That's who they should be targeting... Although my view is they should not be asking at all.

True. 

I've said it before, and say it again: if you have to tell people you're "The Next Big Thing," you're not.