Samsung tempers expectations for a 64-bit Android answer to Apple's A7

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    " think we are at the leader group in terms of 64-bit offerings"

Yes, but your 64 bit A7 supply contract to Apple no doubt means you cannot expand to 64 bit in Smartphones until Q3 2014.
  • Reply 142 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    hill60 wrote: »

I no longer want to participate in their (Google) schemes.

I remember you mentioning before that you'd rather participate in Microsoft schemes. ;)
  • Reply 143 of 172
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does 64 bit have to do with Apple having a better Google Now or Google Maps? Or something we're not even thinking about? To me 64 bit is just more evidence that Apple excels at hardware more than software.

You've missing a lot about all the software tech infused into iOS, where iOS is a full desktop class OS minus filesystem access, Android is more like an evolution of Symbian OS with runtime environment based on a JVM.

• Reply 144 of 172
    ", where iOS is a full desktop class OS minus "

everything PC like.
  • Reply 145 of 172
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Market for so-called premium Android phones will freeze, not just cool down next year with arrival of larger screen iPhone. 

Nope. And nope.

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

SJ's Rule #1: To be a successful technology company, you have to be 10 years ahead of the competition. Apple is about 5 years ahead right now.

Since when? He never said that. He has always explicitly said you can’t guess more than five years into the future, so don’t bother trying. He said at MacWorld 2007 the iPhone was 5 years ahead of anything others were doing. Where are you creating “10 years”?

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

What is innovative about resizable windows? All I see is a clunky hack that wastes a huge chunk of screen in order to make it one-handed friendly.

But but but but but… NO ONE uses their phone with only one hand!

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Seems a bit of a shame to me that Apple has lost the entire Phablet market plus all of the market for people who want phones > 4".  

It’s almost as though you’re completely wrong about what you’re saying, isn’t it?

• Reply 146 of 172

predicting a leap from 13 megapixel mobile cameras to 20 megapixels in two years

No, I don't think so. It's not like we got "greater than 24 bit / 72hz audio". Audio quality didn't keep going up and I think we are nearly at peak demand for resolution if we hit 20 megapixels. Things like infinite depth of field, or 3D capture -- sure. But screen resolutions greater than 300 DPI? There's a limit to what is "good enough" and then when everyone hits that target, they either have to innovate or the refine or it gets cheaper.

I think the days of "ten year projected trend lines" are habitual, but nobody in the audience really believes the crystal ball that goes beyond two years.

It's really impressive what Smart Phones are doing now -- but pressuring Samsung on "not yet 64 bit" is silly. It would be good for all the components and to add compatibility to -- not sure what, but since the desktop is mostly 64 bit, conventional wisdom demands it on the phone. Only, there's exact need for that much address space yet on a phone.

Samsung's great challenge is in their OS and creating a compelling "ecosystem". And they are making moves in that direction, which put them completely at odds with Google who wants them on the Android platform. Which is going to cause more fractionating of the platform. And then Samsung will be attempting to either marginalize Google or the other way around. Which means they'd better have everything good because they won't be using other people's tech -- of course, nothing prevents them from copying good ideas. Nothing. *heh*

• Reply 147 of 172
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Pretty sure you're right. Turn any picture into a selfie-within-a-picture. Dual camcording!

Wow, you could put a selfie in a picture of a plate of food...

...duck lips within a plate of duck...

...mind blown.

The horror.

• Reply 148 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I remember you mentioning before that you'd rather participate in Microsoft schemes. image

Don't care, as long as it's not Google.

Microsoft make their money selling software, Google make theirs selling ads.

That is the difference.

• Reply 149 of 172
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 150 of 172
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Wow, you could put a selfie in a picture of a plate of food...

...duck lips within a plate of duck...

...mind blown.

The horror.

I wonder if even Samsung thought of that. I see a great future for you if you go to work for them. I wouldn't blame you for it, you'd just be giving them enough rope . . .
  • Reply 151 of 172
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 152 of 172
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Don't care, as long as it's not Google.

Microsoft make their money selling software, Google make theirs selling ads.

That is the difference.

One slight correction if I may?

Google makes their money selling US.

• Reply 153 of 172
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

predicting a leap from 13 megapixel mobile cameras to 20 megapixels in two years

…..

Less about the raw pixel number and more about the sensor size.. Similar to the FX vs DX in the DSLR area. Cramming a gazillion ever smaller sensor elements into the same teensy sensor area is hitting limits already.

The number looks good in the advert, the resulting image? Notsomuch.

• Reply 154 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AOA1 View Post

Really?

Hey dude someone didn't follow instructions when removing a security device, these are the consequences of stabbing a Li-ion battery with a metal screwdriver.

• Reply 155 of 172
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

these are the consequences of stabbing a Li-ion battery with a metal screwdriver.

Now he has to prove you wrong by doing it himself. I'll alert the committee.

• Reply 156 of 172
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Are you actually  DeD head?

Erhm, he is DED
  • Reply 157 of 172
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

• Reply 158 of 172
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Erhm, he is DED

Thanks. That's what I figured from his fanatical manner, humbug and pretentious air of superiority.

• Reply 159 of 172
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

No you are wrong and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Tizen 2.0 also looked like Android, and the link you gave of MWC can be seen to have the same weird controls as Tizen 1.0.

Tizen 2.0 Hands On at MWC 2013 | Engadget - YouTube

Tizen 2.2 was beta released in late July, and ripped off the look of iOS7 from WWDC nearly two months earlier. 

Why do you lie about everything or speak well past your understanding of the subject? Do you really love Samsung’s third rate crap that much?   

Wow Daniel no need to be so narky with a reply.  Please don't plunge AI deeper into the well of Daily Mail style tech journalism!

• Reply 160 of 172
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"... We will offer the first 64-bit AP based on ARM's own core [reference design]."

And it will be slow and power-hungry.

And most Android apps will run in 32-bit compatibility mode anyway.

Time to make some popcorn!

Oh wait.  No, I'll make popcorn some time next year.  

Whenever Sammy rushes out their generic 64-bit ARM "reference design" SoC.