Google buys Nest Labs, maker of smart thermostat, for $3.2 billion [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 337
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet they'll be pulled from Apple Retail Stores soon....

And this is why Apple did not buy them... They are not selling well from the Apple store. If they sold really well, then maybe Apple would have maybe went to buy them. But then again, that "high" of price... I think someone is cooking the books. You know since Google put in start up funds... then bought them for outrages price. HMMMM.

• Reply 82 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This story from a few days back makes a bit more sense now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161480/apple-hits-snags-in-iwatch-production-loses-director-of-ipod-software-to-nest

Wow, Google sneakily stealing Apple execs via Nest.  Like the old saying goes, "where there's smoke there's fire".  It seems to me that Google is preparing to "skate to where the puck will be" with this huge push into home automation.  If you stop and think about it for a second this makes a ton of sense strategically.  The home and the car are the next two places where a platform needs to be created for the roll out of new tech.  Someone is going to become the platform of choice in these two areas and Google has decided they want to place a bunch of chips on the home and use Nest as the tip of their spear.

Tim, please don't take this market too lightly as it is enormous.  I am a professional rehabber in Boston and at least in my market it seems ripe for this exact type of innovation.  Affluent customers all know about Nest and are requesting it by name.  I hope this acquisition gets his attention so that Apple isn't caught flat footed once the market gains further traction.

• Reply 83 of 337

maybe they think they just bought their next CEO

• Reply 84 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They (Dwolla's) going to get swallowed up by some larger outfit just like ebay acquiring Braintree (financial backend company). 

One thing you can say about these acquisitions. In a decade we'll look back and laugh at how byzantine our daily tasks were back in old 2014

It wasn’t clear to me what IP, if any, they have. The only thing going for them seems to be the low, ¢25 fee. Why does anyone need to purchase them to be able to offer a low transaction fee – Apple could create something like this in-house overnight if they wanted to.

• Reply 85 of 337
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Weren't Honeywell suing Nest? Maybe they'll ramp that up now that Nest have rich backers.
  • Reply 86 of 337
    When is Nest going to issue a statement vis a vis privacy? Google doesn't buy anything unless they can get some sort of monetized data out of the deal - usage this granular about in-house activities and preference is pure gold to them. I love my Nest products but I will no longer use them as connected devices if my data is going to Google to fuel their advertising engines ... I think Nest owes it to their rather loyal customers to make a statement one way or the other, and immediately.
  • Reply 87 of 337
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It wasn’t clear to me what IP, if any, they have. The only thing going for them seems to be the low, ¢25 fee. Why does anyone need to purchase them to be able to offer a low transaction fee – Apple could create something like this in-house overnight if they wanted to.

They have a few patents plus some pending. Use Google Patent Search or the DuckDuckGo/Bing equivalent whatever they are to look them up.
  • Reply 88 of 337
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Thing is Google can get away with overpaying for a company. I mean just look at Motorola. That would never fly with Apple.
  • Reply 89 of 337
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The Fisync tech is probably their coup de grace.   Since they aren't charging financial institutions more that ACH (Automated Clearing House) transaction yet they can deliver instantaneous transaction they could be a boon for companies who have payroll that is fairly dynamic.   I used to payroll process a decade ago and I'll tell you ACH is bullettproof but speed isn't a part of the equation.  

• Reply 90 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... what is Google's strategy here?

Collection of user data to fuel advertising, of course.  That is Google's strategy in everything - collect personal data, and then sell you to advertisers based on that.  When thinking about anything that Google does in the business world, you have to start your thoughts with the simple fact that they are an advertising company, period.  

• Reply 91 of 337
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    Google makes money by serving up targeted ads. The more they know about you, the more precisely they can target. Better targeting means they can charge more.

Currently they build their profiles on people by reading your email, tracking your web browsing, monitoring your online purchases, and tracking your phone's location. I can imagine how excited they are now that own a company that builds Internet enabled sensors for home use. The Nest thermostat knows when you plan to go on vacation, and when you come home. It knows if people are in the house, or if you are alone.

Nest seems to be a company that builds Internet enabled sensors to monitor your life. I am not at all surprised that Google wants to monitor and control all of that valuable data.
  • Reply 92 of 337
    Oh great - just another good company killed by private data miner Google. I definitely won't support it now; may Mr Fadell enjoy his newfound billions and good riddance.
  • Reply 93 of 337
    Well I will worry when the acquire Fleet Labs.
  • Reply 94 of 337
    I guess I won't be getting a Nest thermostat now... Who in their mind would buy something that can totally tell when you're home and when you're not home and then send that data to google... I'm not ready to have my home robbed with precision, thank you very much!
  • Reply 95 of 337

Attention Nest customers:

Your A$$ Is Now Ours!

1. You must have a gmail account.

2. You must join google+.

3. You must not disable "receive e-mails from unknown google+ members".

4. You must allow google to scan your home so we can show you Ads.

5. We will make Nest all plastic, square, add features such as Main Settings, WEB Settings, APP Settings, Hardware Settings, Firmware Settings, Setting within Settings, Copy codes from Apple iOS, paste them in Oracle Java, mix and match with DoubleClick Ads and shove them up right in your Nest's A$$.

6. Then, Larry and I will do OK Glass.

• Reply 96 of 337
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member

There is a home automation company that is built on the Apple platform.

http://www.savantsystems.com/

This system has been maturing over several years and is used in the higher end of home automation. That's not to say that a purchase by Apple wouldn't help propel this more to the masses. 

The issue with Nest is that they currently have 2 products.  Only in the last few months have they now looked to establish a platform/SDK and allow other companies to interface.  The initial adopter is a company called Control4. Its that system that will control other devices. Google could have done the same, being a principal investor in the first place, and not bought the company outright.  Not sure what Google gains here, unless Nest has something much bigger in the pipeline that Google has seen and knows will be huge. The user base of those using Apple/Nest is probably more significant then Android/Nest and can't see Google cutting those customers off. Have to see where this goes. 

• Reply 97 of 337
    emesemes Posts: 239member

And if you don't buy an Android phone they'll turn down the temperature in your house, and even if you move out you'll be charged for energy usage

• Reply 98 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet they'll be pulled from Apple Retail Stores soon....

And this is why Apple did not buy them... They are not selling well from the Apple store. If they sold really well, then maybe Apple would have maybe went to buy them. But then again, that "high" of price... I think someone is cooking the books. You know since Google put in start up funds... then bought them for outrages price. HMMMM.

You have no idea how well the Nest products are selling from Apple Retail.  And the more I think about this, the less I am surprised by it.  First all of, Nest already had Google Ventures money in it.  So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Google might just write a check for one of the startups it has funded.

Apple buys a lot of companies...but they don't buy everyone.  We also have no idea if Apple made a play on them but I'd be very surprised if Apple didn't know in advance that Nest was being courted by Google for sale.  One thing we know from Apple is that they won't overpay for a company and $3.2b is a lot of coin.  That being sad, at least Nest makes a real manufactured product(s) and not some iOS/Android app.

Apple and Google compete in many places but not in all.  We have no idea if home automation was something Apple really wanted to pursue.  Tim Cook has said before that they say no to most ideas...very few actually make it to product.  On the other hand, Google has no qualms with keeping an every growing number of "balls in the air".  Some of those companies do well, and others don't work out.  Nest already has 2+ years of sales, likely a product pipeline of unannounced stuff and we have no idea what Google themselves were developing in house that might be moved over to Nest.

My real concern is Nest data since I've never been comfortable with Google and their data policies.  I'lll take Fadell's word (for now) on Nest data not being used for anything other than Nest products.  I think Nest recognizes that many of their customers are very Pro-Apple (they easily have the app download and usage data).

• Reply 99 of 337
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

ATT would hardly be an improvement over Google if privacy is a huge concern to you. In fact I'd consider it a step backwards. Unlike Google ATT really does sell customer information.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/01/technology/verizon_att_sprint_tmobile_privacy/

The entire US hardline back-bone is AT&T. Sorry, but there isn't a city in the US that AT&T can't reach a decade before Google.

Google sells its customer data. Without it their stock is no greater than $100/share. Without customer data mining Google never goes public.

• Reply 100 of 337

Tyco Systems is laughing right about now.