Highly suspect photos claim to show 'iPhone 6' chassis [u x2]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    I hope Apple keeps the current iPhone 5s design for iPhone 6. It's quite a classic and intelligent design.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Six months later: "OMG, this is the best iPhone yet! Got my pre-order in!"

No, that's not me. You must be mistaking me with someone else.
  • Reply 43 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm familiar with Mr Dickson as we come from the same area in Victoria. This guy is the real deal and has rarely been wrong.

He does this thing for a living and has spent quite a few years building up a network of contacts in Apple's Asia supply chain. He's a big Apple fan and also owns an iphone repair business. Apple themselves regularly access his website, according to analytic data.

He's a smart kid who's turned this kind of a thing into enough of a business to pay the bills.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if these pictures are genuine.

Which raises the question: is he just getting more efficient at getting this stuff in (i.e. is he getting it faster than in previous years) or is this indicative of a change in the release cycle?

Because if the rumors turn out to be true that Apple is planning an earlier release for at least one model of iPhone 6 phone ... that could be huge.

(Also, I hope I'm not the only one wishing that Apple would figure out a way to keep the 4" screen alive going forward, because I'm not ready to make room in my life for one of these clown phones.)

• Reply 44 of 136
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm familiar with Mr Dickson as we come from the same area in Victoria. This guy is the real deal and has rarely been wrong.

He does this thing for a living and has spent quite a few years building up a network of contacts in Apple's Asia supply chain. He's a big Apple fan and also owns an iphone repair business. Apple themselves regularly access his website, according to analytic data.

He's a smart kid who's turned this kind of a thing into enough of a business to pay the bills.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if these pictures are genuine.

But the picture aren't from him. They are from someone else's twitter account. I wonder how he knows they are true.
  • Reply 45 of 136
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    Perhaps the antenna signals will be routed through the Apple logo on the back?  Isn't that how they do it on the non-LTE iPads?

That's one of the main reasons these look fake because the devices with a black Apple logo have the shape cut out of the metal and the plastic goes right through to allow the signal to pass and also to keep the plastic in place. It could be that the Apple logo and text are printed on the cellophane to give an idea of what a finished model would look like.

The front is all fake. The touch id is shown with an outer shadow on the ring but the real ring is sunk in, it's not raised up like that.

If there's something genuine in the images, it is only the silver back plate and not the text or front.
    At first I thought someone might be trolling using pictures of an iPod Touch.

If the back plate is genuine, I'd say it would be a new iPod Touch. The iPod sales have been dropping fast so something is going to replace it. It's not really due for an update as it was updated in September. A sim card can be useful for mobile data.

I'd like to see an iPod Touch as an entry phone with an external antenna. I figured the sim card would go in the external case but it makes more sense to put it internally. Without the antenna case, it's an iPod. That doesn't explain the wifi signal though. Potentially this is an iPod case before the wifi holes are cut out.

It also also doesn't look any bigger than the iPod Touch is now when you look at the size and location of the Lightning port.
  • Reply 46 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The silver shell looks legit but the completely assembled gold one looks fake. Doesn't it seem odd that there are 4-5 photos of a silver shell and then one completely assembled gold one lying on top? Plus the gold ring around the home button looked raised which is not how the button is on the 5S. But the biggest reason I think the gold one is fake as I don't think Apple will do asymmetrical bezels. One, because their design ethos seem to prefer symmetry, two, because it looks just like some of the concept renders we've seen and third it would look too much like a Galaxy S3/4 design. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to photoshop a render in there.

[IMG]http://wpuploads.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/BgT1aI2IUAA1qTw.jpg_large-642x481.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 47 of 136
    Marvin wrote: »
    That's one of the main reasons these look fake because the devices with a black Apple logo have the shape cut out of the metal and the plastic goes right through to allow the signal to pass and also to keep the plastic in place. It could be that the Apple logo and text are printed on the cellophane to give an idea of what a finished model would look like.

The front is all fake. The touch id is shown with an outer shadow on the ring but the real ring is sunk in, it's not raised up like that.

If there's something genuine in the images, it is only the silver back plate and not the text or front.
    If the back plate is genuine, I'd say it would be a new iPod Touch. The iPod sales have been dropping fast so something is going to replace it. It's not really due for an update as it was updated in September. A sim card can be useful for mobile data.

I'd like to see an iPod Touch as an entry phone with an external antenna. I figured the sim card would go in the external case but it makes more sense to put it internally. Without the antenna case, it's an iPod. That doesn't explain the wifi signal though. Potentially this is an iPod case before the wifi holes are cut out.

It also also doesn't look any bigger than the iPod Touch is now when you look at the size and location of the Lightning port.
    I agree that the gold one looks fake. As far as this being an iPod touch, the lettering on the back says iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 136
    That's certainly Apple's signature CNC milling technique. I'd say it could be at least an Apple iPhone prototype.
  • Reply 49 of 136
    As a reminder, these photos leaked before the iPads came out last year. It's not difficult to do renders that look totally legit.

gold_ipad_mini_2_touch_id.jpg

113.png
  • Reply 50 of 136
    http://liquidmetal.com/properties/the-science/
    Liquidmetal Technologies has participated in the ongoing development of bulk metallic glass for decades by supplying materials and technical input to a vast array of different research projects, including, but not limited to:

[LIST]
    [*] Fundamental materials research
    [*] Next generation shaped charge liner development
    [*] Neutron scattering experiments
    [*] Micro-molding and micro-machining research
    [*] Energy harvesting research
    [*] Thermoplastic forming research
    [*] Blow molding research
    [*] Alloy development research
    [*] Armor research
    [*] Ballistics research
    [*] Mirror applications
    [*] Ceramic Infiltration
    [*] Electromagnetic applications
    [*] Machining of bulk metallic glass materials
    [*] Solid state propulsion research
    [*] Space-based materials research
    [*] Electrical Feed-throughs
    [*]
    [/LIST]

This can very well be a true LiquidMetal case with RF Transparency and thus the actual iPhone 6 case.
  • Reply 51 of 136
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    As far as this being an iPod touch, the lettering on the back says iPhone.

That could be printed on the cellophane or it can be edited in. They certainly wouldn't be printing them now with the FCC label when the iPhone isn't due until September.

I say fake writing, fake front, only the blank silver back possibly genuine and intended for a new iPod Touch.
  • Reply 52 of 136
    Where does everybody get this idea of [S]unicorn hide[/S] liquid metal being transparent to radio waves? If it's metal, it's not. By definition. Being amorphous instead of polycrystalline wouldn't change that; it would probably make it an even better RF shield because the free electrons could wander through the entire piece instead of just one tiny crystal domain.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Apple probably does very small test runs of a lot if designs in order to do extensive form factor and other tests. This could very well be a legit Apple piece and just be a test item to test certain factors of the form etc.
  • Reply 54 of 136
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Um, where does the home button go? 

At the bottom of the front. The photos in the AI article only show the back.

• Reply 55 of 136
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

I have a hard time believing Jony would make a Samsung Galaxy clone. This is missing some key Appleness.

• Reply 56 of 136
    It's a iPod touch 6 generation, come on, it's right in front of you. Getting all the traits from the iphone 5s, gold, the True Tone flash, Touch iD. Just like the iPod touch 5th generation from the iPhone 4S, but just a bigger screen. Think about it. An iPod touch don't need antennas, since it's a wifi only device. There doesn't look like there is a spot for that in the pictures. Anyways it's probably just a fake, just play the waiting game till' Fall????
  • Reply 57 of 136
    Apparently this anonymous Twitter account is the source of the leak, and it includes images of the front of the phone: https://twitter.com/mornray886/media
  • Reply 58 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its too early for those kind of leaks, this may point to a launch sooner than fall.

Credible iPhone 5 leaks appeared around this time in Feb 2012, but everyone blew them off.

Accurate iPhone 5S leaks started in December of 2012 and early 2013.

These leakers are getting good. Guess we'll see in 7 months.

• Reply 59 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Where does everybody get this idea of unicorn hide liquid metal being transparent to radio waves? If it's metal, it's not. By definition. Being amorphous instead of polycrystalline wouldn't change that; it would probably make it an even better RF shield because the free electrons could wander through the entire piece instead of just one tiny crystal domain.

From the inventor of Liquid Metal himself, that's where:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/on-rumors-metal-iphone-backs-and-radio-transparency/
  • Reply 60 of 136
    More evidence these might be fake.

fake_iphone6.gif