Apple's failure to pay for favorable media coverage flies in the face of Samsung's payola

Comments

• Reply 181 of 316
    I vote with my wallet! A Best Buy employee recently steered us to the Samsung BD Players when my wife and I were looking recently. When I explained why I wouldn't buy Samsung, he seemed to understand about the SEP issues and Samsung's potential danger to the entire industry. We looked at Phillips, Sony and Panasonic instead. We haven't picked one out yet, but you can bet it won't be Samsung! Down the road, we WERE considering their refrigerators.
  • Reply 182 of 316
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    starxd wrote: »
    Wow, you people are unbelievable.  I have not had anything even remotely approaching a meltdown (or "meld down" as you say).  

You ask what I'm expecting from an editorial at an Apple fan site - well it's the same as what I expect from any site I read:  good writing and factual content, presented in an objective, unbiased way.  What this writer fails to realize is that his points would be made even more effectively if his articles weren't dripping with bias.  It's hard to take him seriously or believe what he says when he has such an obvious agenda.  And beyond that, it's impossible for reasonable people to link to these articles on other sites and be taken seriously because there is such an obvious pro-Apple bias.  It is completely unnecessary.  He could write in a more objective tone and still make exactly the same points. 

I happen to buy nearly every product Apple puts out and I have great respect for them as a company, but this type of biased writing is a huge turn-off to me.  

I'm still baffled at how much you guys have read into my comments that I never said, and that you think I'm having a meltdown and am going to have a heart attack, etc., etc. when I've remained perfectly calm.  You have a very skewed view of reality.  
    It's an EDITORIAL! It has bias. Yea and Crowley is right about that third paragraph.
  • Reply 183 of 316

well..well..

• Reply 184 of 316
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's an EDITORIAL! It has bias. Yea and Crowley is right about that third paragraph.

Editorials don't have to be written in such an obviously biased tone.  There is no requirement for that.  

I have no idea what he or you is talking about regarding "that third paragraph."  What does that even mean?

• Reply 185 of 316
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

In before that third paragraph gets you labelled as a troll. I'd just remove it if I were you, trust me...

"In before that third paragraph"?  What does that mean?  

• Reply 186 of 316
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Three months before my Canadian  iPhone contract ended, my carrier offered me a $50 credit

it if I would switch for $0 to one of 3 old model competing phones.

Two were android HTC and Samsung. One was an even older model Nokia.

I felt  it was quite dumb of them, but they probably were smart to try and dump that very old stock,

which didn't come close to my current iPhone4, which has  iOS 7 installed and working very well.

My reward to my carrier for trying to suck me into buying their trash phones,

was to continue off contract at a lower rate,

while I evaluate which other  carrier gets my next lovely  iPhone purchase.

• Reply 187 of 316
    Editorials don't have to be written in such an obviously biased tone.  There is no requirement for that.  

I have no idea what he or you is talking about regarding "that third paragraph."  What does that even mean?

Editorials are opinion pieces. Opinions have biases.

As for the third paragraph, we don't need to know how many Apple products you have or when you first bought them. It adds nothing to the discussion and it is a common troll tactic (not saying you are one).
  • Reply 188 of 316
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "In before that third paragraph"?  What does that mean?  

I assume he means end your comment before the 3rd paragraph.
  • Reply 189 of 316
    jungmark wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/162155/apples-failure-to-pay-for-favorable-media-coverage-flies-in-the-face-of-samsungs-payola/160#post_2476732 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

You're kidding, right? Anytime anybody starts talking about how many Apple products they own, and how they like Apple in general, but.... you know you're dealing with a lying troll, and most likely a paid shill. This kind of declaration is absolutely always a complete lie. It's troll tactic #1! Don't try to play innocent. Everybody knows that, and now they know for sure about you.
  • Reply 190 of 316
    You're kidding, right? Anytime anybody starts talking about how many Apple products they own, and how they like Apple in general, but.... you know you're dealing with a lying troll, and most likely a paid shill. This kind of declaration is absolutely always a complete lie. It's troll tactic #1! Don't try to play innocent. Everybody knows that, and now they know for sure about you.

It's technology's version of "I'm not racist but…"
  • Reply 191 of 316
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Dontcha love DED's rants against Samsung? Whenever I think he's getting a little extreme, I put things back in perspective by looking at this:

• Reply 192 of 316
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

LOL!  Ok.  Anyone who would write this completely absurd line is obviously not a rational person:  "This kind of declaration is absolutely always a complete lie."  Really?  So people can't say they own Apple products on here?  Anyone who owns Apple products must fall in line with your way of thinking, and if they don't, they're obviously a lying, paid troll?  What kind of bizarre fantasy world are you living in?  

• Reply 193 of 316
    solipsismx wrote: »

And: "I wish I hadn't been forced to trade in my iPhone—if only it would do a, b, and c." All things iPhones have done from the get-go, of course.
  • Reply 194 of 316
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No, it's a normal person stating a fact.  

• Reply 195 of 316
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Or "I have friends that are.... but.... "
  • Reply 196 of 316
    No, it's a normal person stating a fact.  

Why would a "normal" person make a preemptive defense? The answer is always because they are about to put their foot in their mouth.
  • Reply 197 of 316
    LOL!  Ok.  Anyone who would write this completely absurd line is obviously not a rational person:  "This kind of declaration is absolutely always a complete lie."  Really?  So people can't say they own Apple products on here?  Anyone who owns Apple products must fall in line with your way of thinking, and if they don't, they're obviously a lying, paid troll?  What kind of bizarre fantasy world are you living in?  

You can't be that obtuse. People can say they own Apple products. The dead giveaway of a troll or shill is what you did. Don't claim you can't see the difference. It's 100% accurate, and you've outed yourself. Weren't you the one ending every post with "MIGHTY SAMSUNG FIGHTING!!" the other day?
  • Reply 198 of 316

People can say it when prompted or asked or if the topic presents itself for such info.
  • Reply 199 of 316
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Wow, you people are unbelievable.  I have not had anything even remotely approaching a meltdown (or "meld down" as you say).  

You ask what I'm expecting from an editorial at an Apple fan site - well it's the same as what I expect from any site I read:  good writing and factual content, presented in an objective, unbiased way.  What this writer fails to realize is that his points would be made even more effectively if his articles weren't dripping with bias.  It's hard to take him seriously or believe what he says when he has such an obvious agenda.  And beyond that, it's impossible for reasonable people to link to these articles on other sites and be taken seriously because there is such an obvious pro-Apple bias.  It is completely unnecessary.  He could write in a more objective tone and still make exactly the same points. 

I happen to buy nearly every product Apple puts out and I have great respect for them as a company, but this type of biased writing is a huge turn-off to me.  

I'm still baffled at how much you guys have read into my comments that I never said, and that you think I'm having a meltdown and am going to have a heart attack, etc., etc. when I've remained perfectly calm.  You have a very skewed view of reality.  

Well you know what they say, "It takes bias to fight bias".

• Reply 200 of 316
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starxd View Post

I agree with you, but on this forum the effect of saying "I like Apple, but", or "I own these Apple products, but" is like a red rag to a bull for the self-declared troll hunters, and will railroad the conversation from here on.  It's rubbish, linguistic didacticism, but it's the way they are here.