Steve Jobs statue unveiled ahead of installation at Apple's Cupertino HQ

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    It must be art. I don't understand it.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    maybe not lol
  • Reply 83 of 107
    I disagree. The mantra of modern art today is that it has to be 'interesting'. Same in music. I think beauty trumps everything. Beauty is the only reason for art and music. It may be interesting, but it must be beautiful.

Everyone gets an opinion, however this statement,"Beauty is the only reason for art and music." Is the most short sighted view of art I can imagine. And quite simply untrue.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Cyrllic?  Binary, yes and even hexadecimal.  But cyrillic?  What the hell in Steve Jobs' life was even remotely connected to cyrillic?  This is a joke, isn't it?

It probably to honor Vladimir Putin. Isn't that the reason anything is done in Russia these days? ;)
  • Reply 85 of 107

Jabba loved that wall decoration. It was a gift from Bobba Fett. With love.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The sculptor is Russian, I believe the other characters are the numbers 0 and 1 in Cyrillic (it's a 1 on the left anyway):

Sculptor is Serbian.

• Reply 87 of 107
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I hope they put it close to the toilet in a hidden part of the center.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    acatomic wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    The sculptor is Russian, I believe the other characters are the numbers 0 and 1 in Cyrillic (it's a 1 on the left anyway):

Sculptor is Serbian.

Thanks, that makes sense given it was unveiled in Belgrade, Serbia.
  • Reply 89 of 107

Beetlejuice... Beetlejuice... BEETLEJUICE!

• Reply 90 of 107

Wow! That thing is _ugly_ and an insult to a man who was very human and changed the world with the Macintosh.

Steve Jobs' head... impaled on a stick... reminds me of what primitive man might do to an enemy, not how Apple should honor its founder.

(How about Steve looking out a Mac Plus monitor or something...)

Another sculptor should be commissioned, and kill this horrid thing before the world sees how we honor a great man.

(And who was it who dismissed 10,000 other entries, and accepted this piece of s... ?)

• Reply 91 of 107
    I believe it would make an awesome coat rack. And then you could throw your hat right on Steve's head!
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Looks like cancer...
  • Reply 93 of 107
    It looks cancerous.
  • Reply 94 of 107

How about a Kickstarter project to raise money to pay the sculptor to change the head from Stave Jobs to that of Steve Ballmer and send it to Microsoft? :D 

• Reply 95 of 107
    The Cyrillic letters cannot be unseen.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    drdavid wrote: »
    If everyone loved it when they see it it would be a tool, not a piece of art.

So, if a piece of art is loved by everyone when they see it, it isn't art.

And you call me short-sighted...
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Looks like the letters "l" "o" "v" and "e" to me sticking to the sides of this atrocity. I can't believe anyone in Apple HQ would consent to having this on campus, regardless of the sculptor's reputation. It's just a hideous piece of art.
  • Reply 98 of 107

I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs would literally explode in his grave over this. I think this might be uglier than the title treatment for the movie, "Jobs". 

• Reply 99 of 107
    The whole thing is pretty frightening, something out of nightmares, that odd pillar with Steve's head attached coming at me down a hallway.

I understand it's meant to be abstract art, but, mixing that with his bust just seems inappropriate. But I'm no art major.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Originally Posted by adeon View Post

But I'm no art major.

It’s probably for the best that no one is, these days. What passes for “art”… isn’t.

Now, take the statue of Steve in Budapest. Its look is off a bit, but it encompasses far more of what and who Steve was than this monstrosity.

Steve was known for taking walks. Be it with shareholders, employees (of all his companies), or companies in potential partnership. This statue embodies that. Put it in the center of the Infinite Loop 2 courtyard and future Apple employees would always be able to “take a walk with Steve”.

Really, Apple just needs to say, “Thanks but no thanks,” and melt the Pez dispenser garbage into slag. At least then it would have use.