Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
As expected, Apple on Monday announced its latest push into the automotive space with CarPlay, a rebadged "iOS in the Car" that integrates the touch and voice controls of iOS with a car's infotainment system.

CarPlay

Announced at the Geneva Motor Show, CarPlay is a rebadging of "iOS in the Car," which Apple revealed at its Worldwide Developers Conference in 2013. Reports last week pointed to today's reveal, though the name change is somewhat of a surprise.

"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," said Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing Greg Joswiak. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we're thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva."

The first examples of CarPlay will come from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, all of which are premiering the technology in various car models this week. Other automakers like BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota will be rolling out CarPlay-compatible cars down the road.

CarPlay

In operation, drivers connect their Lightning-equipped iPhone via a hardline, assumedly allowing for charging while pushing phone operations to the on-board infotainment system. A steering wheel-mounted voice control button activates Siri to cut down on distractions in the cockpit, though users can also interface with iOS 7-inspired controls if a car comes equipped with a touchscreen. According to Apple, CarPlay can access all knobs, buttons and dials controlling an in-car display.

Drivers can place phone calls, listen to voice mail messages, access contacts and have text messages read to them by Siri. Mapping is also integrated into CarPlay, including turn-by-turn directions that show up on a car's screen.

CarPlay

Entertainment options include access to an iPhone's music library, podcasts, audiobooks, iTunes Radio and music streaming apps like Spotify, Beats Music and iHeartRadio.

CarPlay will come as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo are expected to ship models with CarPlay in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Looks good!

At the bottom of Apple's CarPlay page, it says that it's compatible with iPhone 5S, 5C, and 5. So, it probably works via Bluetooth with your phone, which is like how our 2014 Honda CR-V works with our phones now.

Looking forward to it reading texts and accepting dictation, as well as picking up addresses for driving directions from contacts.

Lots of manufacturers lined up, too.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

The interface is very ordinary. Doesn't look exciting like all the rest of Apple UI before iOS 7.

• Reply 3 of 89
    This is really good news, it's great that Apple are making deals with big players in the Auto industry.... however... I'd love to see play nice Apple and release it for retro fitting to other vehicles, please! Apple iOS in the car for everyone. PLEASE.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's probably the future of in car systems, that they have no "system" of their own, they are just a docking station for the driver's phone and it controls all the screens.

Maybe one day it will be impossible to drive a car without plugging your phone in first, and it will have your license on it?
  • Reply 5 of 89
    gargar Posts: 1,201member

No Volkswagen Group in the list.

That's a huge omission in my opinion.

It's a pity Audi partnered with Google on Android based car infotainment.

• Reply 6 of 89
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member

Well, I guess it's time for a new car. But too bad you have to hardwire it to your phone instead of Bluetooth. I'm sure it's faster and more reliable hardwired, though. Just less convenient.

• Reply 7 of 89
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    gar wrote: »

It would seem obvious, especially given their ethos and early adoption of iPod integration.

That integration is/was amazingly poor in implementation, though. A stupid little cradle that is too narrow for anything other than a classic, horribly finicky for the asymmetric 30-pin of the nano and obviously incompatible with even the old iPhones. Why so pedantic about it, VW/AG?

I find it hilarious how bad the software is on these in-car "infotainment" systems. Surely it's easier to say GPS/radio, but I digress.

They are truly shockingly horrible, especially when they come with resistive touchscreens like a 90s mall kiosk gimmick. And apparently it doesn't matter if you're VW, Alfa, Merc, they're all horrible and ill-conceived.

Just give me an aux in and I'll struggle with pressing play and mounting it myself; frankly I'd rather turn that huge dangerous unresponsive distraction off completely.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    Still using CD's in this fancy brand new iOS in the Car "state of the art" system!

This would never have happened if Steve was alive;-P
  • Reply 9 of 89
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

"Entertainment options include access to an iPhone's music library, podcasts, audiobooks, iTunes Radio and music streaming apps like Spotify, Beats Music and iHeartRadio."

This is fantastic news!

If this update comes to iOS 7, I expect that it would also work outside of the car. I am so waiting for the option to search for music or launch playlists on spotify with Siri! So excited about this apparently small news!

• Reply 10 of 89
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

So that means when people pays 1 million for Lamborghini they gonna get some lag virus stealing data Android instead of iOS, are the Volkwagen group stupid? literally 90% who has a Lamborghini are using iPhones fact

Please Apple acquire Lamborghini from them!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 11 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

some lag virus stealing data Android

Did you just put together all the bad words you could think of in a random order?

• Reply 12 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

I believe all the major manufacturers will be baking in both iOS and Android infotainment integration. Yesterday there was a news blurb that Daimler (Mercedes) is planning worldwide use of Android in the car the translated name being Google Projected Mode. Since MB announced iOS Carplay it's pretty obvious they'll be doing both. No doubt IMM that Audi will too. Only working with devices from half your buyers wouldn't be particularly smart.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    I hope they do A system where you can rip out your old radio and put in this new system into your Old car
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Ok, rumor mill will have Shipplay and Planeplay coming...and Samjerks and Googfxxk will copy those rumors into their next product...
  • Reply 15 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So rather than Apple making an iPad for your car they have decided to make an Apple TV for your car.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    The interface is very ordinary. Doesn't look exciting like all the rest of Apple UI before iOS 7.
    I think you forgot /s
  • Reply 17 of 89
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

When hardwiring the phone can it then use the bigger antennas of the car, or would it still use it's one with all the rays being reflected inside the car until they can escape through one of the windows?

• Reply 18 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good day to announce this, right after the Samsung awards last night. :D
  • Reply 19 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

When you plug your phone in, can Siri then drive?

• Reply 20 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The two Germans went with Goog. Shame. Two major omissions.