Irish school's attempt to replace books with HP tablets results in 'unmitigated disaster'

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 186
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by st88 View Post

There is no advantage to them by using iBooks, an x86 Windows solution that can offer more capabilities.  For example, active stylus support is already an input method that the iPad cannot offer.  Assuming the pricing stays the same, a potential ThinkPad Tablet 3 would cost around $499 with a Wacom stylus.  Other Z3770 tablets range from $399 to $499.  There are even more industrialized solutions from companies such as Sharp or Fujitsu, both of their Z3770 tablets offer active stylus support, higher than retina resolution,  and a durable design (with dust/water proofing).

A lot of the schools and colleges are implementing iBooks.  If you want to use a stylus, which only a small portion of people actually do, you can use a stylus with an iPad.   There are lots of educational titles already on iOS.  X86 based computers are much more involved from an administration standpoint and the iPads are VERY easy to administrate, that's why they are buying them by the tens of thousands. 

But I don't think there are many schools that use stylus', but if they want one, they can use one on an iPad.

Obviously, you aren't part of the school systems that are already buying iPads by the tens of thousands and happy with them.

• Reply 182 of 186
    Quote:

There is no advantage to them by using iBooks, an x86 Windows solution that can offer more capabilities.  For example, active stylus support is already an input method that the iPad cannot offer.  Assuming the pricing stays the same, a potential ThinkPad Tablet 3 would cost around $499 with a Wacom stylus.  Other Z3770 tablets range from $399 to $499.  There are even more industrialized solutions from companies such as Sharp or Fujitsu, both of their Z3770 tablets offer active stylus support, higher than retina resolution,  and a durable design (with dust/water proofing).

Obviously, you haven't noticed, but Windows 8 sucks.  it's not well accepted in the world.  It has less than 10% market acceptance within the Windows installed base after 1 year. Those are horrible numbers for Microsoft.   

Get a clue, Windows 8 sucks.  That's why iPads are kicking them senseless. 

Maybe you need to talk to several of the various school districts and ask them why they are using iPads and I'm sure they can show you their evaluation criteria. 

• Reply 183 of 186
    Quote:

IBooks is an actual solution to give the student a media rich experience for reading text books.  Nothing like it exists on the Windows that I know of.  Obviously, you haven't used an iBook version of a text book.

Apple has always done a very good job in the Educational market and maybe they just don't like Windows and having a stylus isn't really a solution, it's just another input device option. 

Maybe these schools don't want to use some clone device.  Some people see no real benefit in that since there really isn't much going on with them.  Maybe they don't have the same level of support contracts and service levels.

Sharp, Fujitsu are kind of considered off brands, not major players in the tablet industry and probably don't have a very good educational sales force.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but you seem more fixated on a spec vs a solution.

Thinkpad 3 tablet?  Really?  Where is it?  I only see the Thinkpad 2 tablet on Lenovo's site.

I hate to say this because it sounds like you are just some lost Windows 8 user that thinks you can get away with going to Apple centric sites trying to change people from Apple to Microsoft (which seems to be happening in the other direction).

Go to a Windows centric site, you might have better luck with people actually paying attention to you thinking you know what you are talking about.

There are more people switching from Windows to Apple products than the other way around and I think that scares you because Microsoft is quickly losing it's monopoly and status of owning the world, which they aren't anymore.  If you look at ALL computing devices, (laptops, desktops, tablets, and smartphones) Apple has about 20+% and growing.  Android has about the same, Linux has increasingly going after the server market and some desktops/laptops, and Windows is losing marketshare quickly and I think Windows users are flat out scared out of their minds as they don't want to lose control over their majority status as they are becoming more of a minority.  Oh well.  I can't change that.

Also, maybe these schools systems want to use products from a company that has excellent financial status.  I know in a lot of industries/companies, they look at financial aspects of the vendors as part of their evaluation.  Lenovo, Sharp, and Fujitsu aren't doing well in that area as compared to Apple.     Fujitsu lost money in 2013, Sharp is barely hanging on by a thread (even Apple is helping bailing them out) and Lenovo makes about 1% Net Profit margin.   Apple probably makes more profits in a week than Lenovo does in a year.  Neither are any of the other PC mfg for that matter.

• Reply 184 of 186
    Once again , Microsoft fucks up. And also HP.

"We're not blaming anyone" for the failures"
    *facepalm* , HP should refund all money paid for the tablets.

"Gleeson told the Independent that the HP tablets were chosen after an 18-month investigatory period"

18 month investigation period? Well, im not sure who was doing the investigation, but i can give you better advice , after a 1 minute investigation. You should use laptops, and let students pick the model, this would also save on costs becouse alot of students already have laptops.
  • Reply 185 of 186

"He called out the ElitePad's 64-gigabyte memory as especially impressive."  - Well, whoever said this clearly has no knowlege of computers. You can use a NAS or some cloud storage solution  instead.