Why did Microsoft port Office to Apple's iOS iPad before Android?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 236
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

From your link, which I assume the most favorable article towards Android you could possibly find on the subject

I wasn't trying to find a biased pro-Android article nor "coming to the rescue" which I thought would have been obvious from my comment when posting it. I was instead looking for something that fairly portrayed the process. If you missed that in the original post I would have thought my comment to Mel on that issue would have made it totally clear.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/176236/why-did-microsoft-port-office-to-apples-ios-ipad-before-android#post_2506439

I understand that may seem a confusing and foreign thing to do if you were someone who only admits to reading or searching for articles that fit your agenda. :\

I'm not as blindly pro-Android as you'd like to believe. Blindly pro-anything is pretty silly IMO whether it's religion, politics or your consumer product choices.

EDIT: To their credit most members here are generally open to views and evidence that may not fit with what they already believed, and I'd definitely slot myself in that category.
    Hat-tip to Soli
  • Reply 122 of 236
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

Any chance you could change your psychotic posting style, Constable Odo? It may work with the denizens of DS9 but here on Earth it comes across as just plain insane…

Yeah, that was quite the soliloquy. I thought about refuting some of those comments but he was not entirely out of the mainstream group think on any of the topics he addressed. I would disagree with all of his prophetic scenarios but it is pointless to argue with his talking points because they are all based on the future which no one can predict.

BTW I admire your post count/sign up date. Quite an accomplishment to be able to refrain from commenting when so much BS is posted on this site. You must be a very kicked back dude. Too bad you had to respond to such a jackass comment as his.

• Reply 123 of 236
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Another great article to read. I like in depth looks like this. Great article. Thank you.
  • Reply 124 of 236
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Seems to me that some folks are over thinking this. Why did MS go iOS before Android? Might be nothing more than PR. iOS users have been screaming for the programs for ages and naysayers have been saying MS will neve do it because it's the only thing the Surface has as a selling point. No one using Android had made similar claims. So by releasing the iOS version MS is saying hell no to the scared claims, which they don't need to do with Android
  • Reply 125 of 236
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Seems to me that some folks are over thinking this. Why did MS go iOS before Android? Might be nothing more than PR. iOS users have been screaming for the programs for ages and naysayers have been saying MS will neve do it because it's the only thing the Surface has as a selling point. No one using Android had made similar claims. So by releasing the iOS version MS is saying hell no to the scared claims, which they don't need to do with Android
    Don't let the tricky wording used by DED trick you. Office is available on Android. However, there is no seperate version for Android tablets at this time.
  • Reply 126 of 236
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member

Back when "real men" cared about cars there was always lots of smack talk about the virtues of one brand over the others. I don't seem to recall arguments that included market share and quarterly shipping estimates or much in the way of Wall Street mumbo jumbo or Angry Birds. It was only about the virtues of the products and if you were really religious about it you could always put your pink slip on the line to challenge the conviction of your rival. Ah, how times have changed. Maybe we should all get out of doors more often and enjoy the sweet aroma of burning hydrocarbons and pleasing melody of screeching rubber. Grrrrrrrr.... manly men don't argue about phones or tablets much less, cough, cough workplace productivity applications ..... grrrrrrrrr ..... is there no testosterone left on the planet? .... grrrrrrr .... go play with your dog .... grrrrrr ;)

• Reply 127 of 236
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Richardson View Post

The real story is that Windows RT is dead and Windows 8.X on tablets will have to fight on its merits. There is no reason for Microsoft to not release on Android; in fact, there is a phone version which was simultaneously updated with the iPhone version. We can expect this new Microsoft to be running on Android tablets soon; why not? ... It's not a testatment to the awesomeness of iOS, it's a major strategic decision to release some software which has probably been ready for two years. You know, back when iPads had 80% market share.

Yes, it is a testament to the strength of iOS. Office for iPad doesn't look like something that was written 2 years ago and has been sitting on a shelf. It is native to iOS 7 (not sure if it is 64-bit, though), and conforms to its UI guidelines and is extremely touch-centric. Also telling is that they did this before they even completed the touch-centric re-write of Office for Windows RT/8. Arguably if they were serious about promoting Surface, making it touch-centric should have been one of the first things they should have done, and had they had a completed version for iOS ready 2 years ago, they'd have been able to incorporate more of that design into the Surface version.

Also, that Microsoft went to the effort of updating the Android version of its smartphone Office software at the same time it updated Office Mobile for iPhone means that they likely could have done the same for tablets, but, quite correctly, view the phone market a bit differently. Samsung has made traction at the high end of the phone market. But they haven't made much traction at the high end of the tablet market. I'm sure Microsoft will release a version of Office for Android. There's really no reason not to (more opportunities for sales). But the next priority for Microsoft is the rewrite of Office for Windows RT. Android won't come until after that. Nadella hinted as much when he touted the Build conference next week.

What will be interesting to see is where the tablet market heads from here. It looks like Apple's iPad growth has matured, and yet despite good reviews, the latest Kindle Fire has supposedly seen a slight decline in sales from a year ago, and Asus doesn't seem to have seen increased sales from the Nexus line. So it's entirely possible that Apple will continue to dominate the tablet profit share even more than it does with smartphones.

• Reply 128 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Don't let the tricky wording used by DED trick you. Office is available on Android. However, there is no seperate version for Android tablets at this time.

But it's the same crippled phone version that's also available for iPhone. They quietly enabled the edit features without a subscription, but probably because they aren't very useful. Even on a Note 3, there's not much room for editing. And an upsized phone app on an Android tablet doesn't come close to a built-from-the-ground-up tablet version.

• Reply 129 of 236
    bdcfambdcfam Posts: 5member

Confused AppleInsider I am running Microsoft Office on my Nexus 7.

• Reply 130 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

None of this pro-Apple talk makes any sense.  Almost no sane investor on Wall Street would bet on on Apple's survival against Google and Android.  Most are sure that Apple will only continue dropping from the 2012 starting point of its infamous death spiral.  Apple is still being valued for zero growth and even Microsoft is seen as having better growth prospects than Apple.  Microsoft is probably just making a mistake betting on Apple's iPad or simply had too much money invested already to kill the project.  Google and Android's market share completely obliterate every other computing platform on the planet.  The general consensus is that without Steve Jobs running Apple, the company will not be successful at any venture.  It just seems so obvious that most industry leaders are certain Apple will fail.  As it is, Microsoft's offering MS Office for iPad has increased Microsoft's value, but on Apple it has had the opposite effect.  Most analysts disregard Apple having any hooks into the Enterprise at all.  Most companies with strong positions in the Enterprise are not considered doomed companies.  Apple is, so any Enterprise presence Apple has must be rather minor.  All this boasting about Apple's strength in the post-PC era and it appears to me that Apple has been hit the hardest of all tech companies in terms of value.  Apple appears to be struggling merely to hold its ground.  Watch how Apple blows another financial quarter while Tim Cook proudly smiles.

Way overblown. The Street doesn't see the explosive growth that Apple had over the past decade, but it's difficult to see how even Steve Jobs could have replicated that if he were still alive and at the helm. What the stagnant stock price shows is an expectation that Apple's 2010s may be a lot like Microsoft's 2000s. IOW, not much growth, but still a very viable company.

• Reply 131 of 236
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    The simple reason is because iOS actually has a larger market share despite all the assumptions.
  • Reply 132 of 236
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

The simple reason is because iOS actually has a larger market share despite all the assumptions.

I’d think ‘lies’ is a better word than ‘assumptions’.

• Reply 133 of 236
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member

Quote:

Market researchers are not always coy in supplying context for the numbers they tabulate. In a conversation with AppleInsider last fall, IDC analyst Ryan Reith noted that his company engaged in research during 2013 that turned up a "significant surge in low end devices," which he described as "tier two" class tablets, ones that feature processors as slow as 600 MHz and include devices that Reith offhandedly described as "kids tablets or toys." 

These sort of "tablets" make up an incredible two thirds of the global tablet numbers reported by market research firms, clarifying that it's the recent recognition of these devices as "tablets" that has affected Apple's iPad "market share," not competition from tablet makers like Samsung and Microsoft, both of whom continue to struggle far behind Apple in their tablet sales

Exactly. Which is why we need to compare APPLES to APPLES here. 

These Tier 2 and even Tier 3 tablets shouldn't be allowed to be used as data points in the tablet market. It's deceptive and they know it.

Quote:

I think you are right. I was just about to add a post saying that I suspect Google is the main enemy of Microsoft these days not Apple. Add the fact the Ballmer-Gates duopoly seems to have lost some power and so the hate Apple mantra is fading.

Nah. They went for Apple for the simple fact that:

1. Apple has probably 75% of the high end tablet market if not more. That means that they can make the most revenue by putting Office on the iPad. These % that IDC quotes like the article said are made up of 2nd and 3rd tier tablets that shouldn't even be allowed to be in the numbers.  If the are included then it should be a different category that makes it OBVIOUS that they are including kids toys and other things in here that cannot be used for productivity.

2. Apple probably had 90% of the enterprise market. That means again more sales for Office.

3. It's not going to be pirated on the iPad.

4. Lastly, do you think they are going to port this to Android which is the most pirated App software? 

• Reply 134 of 236
    spartanspartan Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d think ‘lies’ is a better word than ‘assumptions’.

Well the one guy from them did say that those included 2nd, 3rd tier tablets that are the real reason the % are distorted. I'm not sure why Wall Street and other people don't point this out but then that would require them to be honest.

• Reply 135 of 236
    melgross wrote: »
    If course it was manipulative. I wouldn't expect anything else, and I don't even blame them for that. It's marketing.

But not too long ago, we had to deal with Microsoft fans parroting that same false narrative. I wonder if the fans also knew better and were consciously trolling, or if they really believed in the bullshit about iPads being just toys.
  • Reply 136 of 236
    droidftw wrote: »

But Android tablets are just stretched phones anyway. :)
  • Reply 137 of 236
    melgross wrote: »
    He also mentions how much harder it is to use their development software, and how much harder it is to develop for Android. Android isn't yet a serious tablet platform, and it's true that there are very few real tablet apps available. Some day, I suppose that will change. But considering that Google doesn't care, it will take a long time.
    1thing I've noticed is some prefer to work with android before IOS, but release IOS version first.

Everybody knows that IOS is better market than android, just wonder if competing with something that's now free on IOS will let Micosofts apps sell.
  • Reply 138 of 236
    nnnnnnnn Posts: 1member
    I love Dan's op ed articles but not this one. Like so many (too many) technology writers, Dan doesn't collaborate with people in the real (non-tech) world that comprises 80% or more of the economy.

Simply put, Word for iPad has true track changes whereas Pages for iPad has watered down track changes.

I'm a card carrying Apple fan %u2014 two Mac minis, two iPad minis, two iPhones, one Apple TV, one MacBook Air, one iPod Classic, one iPod nano (watch model), one iPod touch.

But I work with people in the 80% and they require Word-compatible track changes. This feature partially explains why Word for iPad is at the top of the App Store charts.

Compatibility is another huge feature. Just tonight a friend of mine who is not an Apple fan was thrilled that she could finally send the senior executive team of her company actual Excel files instead of PDF versions since they all use iPads as their main computer.
  • Reply 139 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can always count on Gatorguy to "come to the rescue" of any product that is compared unfavourably to an Apple product in any thread, no matter what. 

No, you're wrong: Not 'any' product. 

Only those that are somehow -- even if they're only tangentially -- related to Google. 

• Reply 140 of 236
    droidftw wrote: »

Don't let the tricky wording used by DroidFTW trick you. Office on Android is a severely limited version. There is no tablet-optimized, feature rich version of Office for Android.

Here's a simple way to look at it. Office for Android is a 27MB download. That's for the entire package. Word for the iPad is a whopping 250MB. If you get all four Apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) it's over 900MB.

I wonder, do you actually think a 27MB App contains the same functionality as a 900MB App? Or perhaps you think MS wrote a highly optimized and efficient version for Android and a bloated, inefficient version for the iPad?

I know this is a simple comparison, but it's something everyone should understand.