Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If you look closely, you see it's Bigfoot.

Big Foot has been vacationing in the Pacific NW. He has my iPhone so I'm tracking him.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    This is how 'Pacific Rim: Nessie's Pissed!' starts.
    I was involved in Post Production. NDAs are more guidelines than rules.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Late April fools joke?
  • Reply 24 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    hagar wrote: »
    If you look closely, you see it's a ship.

A ship in a loch?
  • Reply 25 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Late April fools joke?

I think the two likely possibilities are Nessy is real or that's a wind pattern on the water. But I'm only guessing.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Big Foot has been vacationing in the Pacific NW. He has my iPhone so I'm tracking him.

You're busted—Bigfoot doesn't have any pockets.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

Show me a live loch ness monster. Much more impressive! (And no autopsy required ;)).

• Reply 28 of 84
    Could it be the Malaysian airliner?
  • Reply 29 of 84
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Late April fools joke?

I was wondering the same thing.

Any article with the following phrase must be a joke: "making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation"

• Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

But you believe in a god, right?

• Reply 31 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club,"

Yes, naturally the very first thought of any sane, reasonable person.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiyo-maru_carcass

Yes I know this is far from proof, but the point is, we just can't say for sure. To make an absolute statement would be ridiculous, either for or against. This world is a crazy place, and with how vast our bodies of water are... you just never know. Plenty of species have evaded us. We have to have faith in how this crazy universe works just because most of it we'll never see, we'll never fully understand, and it sure as heck isn't scientific, most the time. It always remains theories. I expect some day in the future, whether it's a few hundred or thousands of years for things to defy our modern day "laws" of physics.

Look back 500 years and see what they thought. Then a few thousand years. Now we think some things are silly, but we are not exempt of this notion. Whether it's science, society, or medical (chemo for example), our modern day ways will eventually be proven wrong, outdated, or desperate.

Point being, never say never to the things unseen.

• Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club,"

Yes, naturally the very first thought of any sane, reasonable person.

Actually yeah, it is. I wouldn't go to the press before asking for some confirmation that I wasn't completely crazy.

• Reply 34 of 84
    yoyo2222 wrote: »
    Actually, I think it's the face of Jesus. Like I saw on my toast this morning.

Funny! :)
  • Reply 35 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Really? Rationale? Are you trying to convince a bunch of techno geeks that there is no Loch Ness monster? Get outa here!
  • Reply 36 of 84
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The article never explained why Apple maps were better than Google maps at finding Nessie! It kept saying they were but why???? More detailed in that area? More up to date? Constantly updated?
  • Reply 37 of 84
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What a disappoint. All this time we thought Nessie was a Plesiosaur, and it turns out be a humongous Catfish.

Lame.

Yeah, but at least she'll taste a lot better once we catch her.

• Reply 38 of 84
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    Comparing the image to the size of trees on the shore, the "Nessie" would have to be 100 feet long. Not possible.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    There is no Loch Ness monster...

Really?

Then you wanna tell me where my tree fiddy went?

• Reply 40 of 84
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    What happened to "News"...