Before Apple's iPhone was too small, it was too "monstrously" big

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I wonder if that is why they wanted to do something different, but it sounded to me like the 5C was pushing more people to the 5S which can't be a bad thing (assuming you have enough units for everyone). Their real goal might have been wanting to eat into Android sales but I don't think that's going to happen with a 4" colored device because the mentality of the buyer for a large-screened Android-based device for that price point is probably different. Perhaps with a larger display Apple can do that.

I'm certain that Apple wanted to differentiate the 1st and 2nd tiers by making the 5C a plastic phone in different colors.

Not a failure by any means but when you're hoping for a home run and you only get to second base... well, in anybody's book that's pretty damn good, just not the intended play.

• Reply 82 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Or are you kind of giving a thumbs up to the 4.7"?

Eh, sort of both. I’m gonna hit up an AT&T or some such soon and get them to let me hold some 4.7” phones that aren’t restricted by security crap. There’s this one HTC phone out now that has top and bottom bezels close to the size of the iPhone’s which opened my eyes as of late.

• Reply 83 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm certain that Apple wanted to differentiate the 1st and 2nd tiers by making the 5C a plastic phone in different colors.

Not a failure by any means but when you're hoping for a home run and you only get to second base... well, in anybody's book that's pretty damn good, just not the intended play.

What where the Canaccord results for Apple's new and previous year iPhones in the past. I seem to recall that was more or less Apple taking the top two and often the 3rd place with the 2 year old iPhone. If that is correct that could be why Tim Cook wasn't happy with the results but I would argue that Samsung has been so aggressive and you get a lot of phone for the money (assuming you want to use Android) that it probably would have happened regardless.
  • Reply 84 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh, sort of both. I’m gonna hit up an AT&T or some such soon and get them to let me hold some 4.7” phones that aren’t restricted by security crap. There’s this one HTC phone out now that has top and bottom bezels close to the size of the iPhone’s which opened my eyes as of late.

I'm feeling dizzy...  lol

• Reply 85 of 151
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    But the iPhone IS monstrous. I appreciate the 16:9 ratio, but I also appreciate the ease with which one could operate the old 3.5" screens. Keep the iPhone as is; just stick telephony in the iPad mini!
  • Reply 86 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm feeling dizzy...  lol

Hey, same here. Thickness really does make all the difference. Just wish the sides were still flat. I like the look better and it stops the device from being a bar of soap…

• Reply 87 of 151
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What where the Canaccord results for Apple's new and previous year iPhones in the past. I seem to recall that was more or less Apple taking the top two and often the 3rd place with the 2 year old iPhone. If that is correct that could be why Tim Cook wasn't happy with the results but I would argue that Samsung has been so aggressive and you get a lot of phone for the money (assuming you want to use Android) that it probably would have happened regardless.

My guess is that any shortfall in iPhone 5C sales accrued directly to higher sales of the 5S. Can't be too disappointed in that result, unexpected as it may have been. Trouble for production levels on both phones, but nothing that couldn't be adjusted after a short period of imbalance.
  • Reply 88 of 151
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

First go take a look at the iPad Air Display in person. You do know that iPhone 5s is using a two year old iPhone 5 display and is still one of the best display out there, better than S4 display and still better than S5 display when it comes to outdoor visibility while the iPhone 5 display has no weakness

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

The S5 has the best display ever used in a mobile phone, and it definitely tops the iPhone in outdoor visibility.

To quote a portion of the article," Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle."

• Reply 89 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, same here. Thickness really does make all the difference. Just wish the sides were still flat. I like the look better and it stops the device from being a bar of soap…

In prison, they tell you to leave your smartphone on the ground in case you drop it...

• Reply 90 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In prison, they tell you to leave your smartphone on the ground in case you drop it...

Just master the art of squatting. :lol:
  • Reply 91 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

My guess is that any shortfall in iPhone 5C sales accrued directly to higher sales of the 5S. Can't be too disappointed in that result, unexpected as it may have been. Trouble for production levels on both phones, but nothing that couldn't be adjusted after a short period of imbalance.

Personally, I think that Apple was looking for results that would send the 2nd tier closer to 1st tier sales without cannibalizing any, or hardly any, of the top tier sales.

I also think that Apple will keep juggling until they get closer to that mix.

I would find it hard to believe that Apple is happy seeing the 5C drop completely from the top 3 smartphones on the top 4 mobile carriers in the US during the months of Jan, Feb and March... not even 6 months after introduction.

• Reply 92 of 151
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

The S5 has the best display ever used in a mobile phone, and it definitely tops the iPhone in outdoor visibility.

To quote a portion of the article," Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle."

1) For an author that claims to care about how something looks he sure has designed one shiftiest website.

2) Did you notice that he said the same about the iPhone 5 from 2011? Of course not.

3) Did you also notice there is no review of the iPhone 5S? I wonder why that is?

4) I also wonder why you failed to note that he never reviewed the device display you're implying that is inferior to the Galaxy S5? I'm sure you merely overlooked that fact¡

edit: Now let's detail some of these claims compared to the 2011 iPhone:

Measured Average Brightness 50%, Measured Brightness 100%, Measured Peak Brightness 1% all has the iPhone 5 as EXCELLENT and the Galaxy G5 as just VERY GOOD.
    Mirror Reflections, which he describes as being "the most annoying types of reflections," are only 6.1% on the iPhone 5 and 6.3% on the Galaxy S5. Although both rate VERY GOOD the Galaxy S5 loses that one,
    Color Shifts for Color Mixture and Primary Color Shifts are noted as better on the iPhone 5 with the latter one being only medicare on the Galaxy S5.
    Power efficiency on the iPhone for an average display size and same luminance has the new Galaxy S5 using about 2.5x more power than the 2011 iPhone.

Also, no mention of PenTile. Granted it's a good display and Samsung finally has a sub-pixel count and quality display that makes even the accurate pixel count high enough to actually be Retina-quality even if it is slightly before the iPhone 4's real pixel count, but for you to not simply state the Galaxy S5 is a great display that is much improved over the Galaxy S4, but rather insinuate that it's better the iPhone 5S despite no proof to that fact and plenty the Galaxy S5 still loses to the 2011 iPhone 5 in many tests is simply disingenuous.
  • Reply 93 of 151
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Just master the art of squatting. :lol:

But now your face is waist high. I'm not sure that's a win.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    hcrefugeehcrefugee Posts: 98member
    Quote:

1) It was big enough that pundits were saying Apple should drop the Mac and just focus on selling iPods.

2) What was Apple's market cap on January 5th, 2007, the last day I can find before the iPhone was announced?

Apple Market Capitalization:

January 5, 2007: US$ 73.08 billion

May 5, 2014: US$ 510.71 billion

• Reply 95 of 151
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Apple Market Capitalization:

January 5, 2007: US$ 73.08 billion

May 5, 2014: US$ 510.71 billion

Yes, isn't that amazing?

• Reply 96 of 151
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member

That's not a thumbs up, that's a thumbs over. ;)

• Reply 97 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But now your face is waist high. I'm not sure that's a win.

One word, teeth. Plus a soap bar reinforced punch to the gonads will stop anyone. :lol:
  • Reply 98 of 151
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

1) For an author that claims to care about how something looks he sure has designed one shiftiest website.

2) Did you notice that he said the same about the iPhone 5 from 2011? Of course not.

3) Did you also notice there is no review of the iPhone 5S? I wonder why that is?

4) I also wonder why you failed to note that he never reviewed the device display you're implying that is inferior to the Galaxy S5? I'm sure you merely overlooked that fact¡

1) Irrelevant.  Knowing how to test a display doesn't have anything to do with the ability to design a website.

2) I didn't look at the review for the iPhone 5, but this is 2014 and the S5 is now the top of the heap among phones he has tested.

3) I didn't look for a review of the iPhone 5S.  He hasn't tested one yet.  There is no evidence of an agenda or bias if that was your implication.

4) He did review the display of the iPhone 5, which was the device that was mentioned in the post I replied to.  Pay attention if you're going to be snarky.

5) Until otherwise proven, the S5 currently has the best display in a mobile phone.

• Reply 99 of 151
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    One word, teeth. Plus a soap bar reinforced punch to the gonads will stop anyone. :lol:

This calls for this scene from the Cinemax series "Banshee".

video:

(WARNING: NSFE*)

* Not Safe for Eyeballs
  • Reply 100 of 151
    1) Irrelevant.  Knowing how to test a display doesn't have anything to do with the ability to design a website.

2) I didn't look at the review for the iPhone 5, but this is 2014 and the S5 is now the top of the heap among phones he has tested.

3) I didn't look for a review of the iPhone 5S.  He hasn't tested one yet.  There is no evidence of an agenda or bias if that was your implication.

4) He did review the display of the iPhone 5, which was the device that was mentioned in the post I replied to.  Pay attention if you're going to be snarky.

5) Until otherwise proven, the S5 currently has the best display in a mobile phone.

1) He tests for readability and yet his site is almost unreadable.

2) As I said, of course you didn't. Why look at anything else when it might lead to an objective comment¡

3) Gee, why not look for a review of an iPhone 5S when you're trying to say it's shit compared to the Galaxy S5. What a weird fucking concept to actual compare and contract the thing you're railing against¡

4) But you never read about it or you would have seen the 2011 iPhone still bests the Galaxy S5 in several tests.

5) See, a reasonable person wouldn't say that. A reasonable person would have stated, "The Galaxy S5 is currently has the best [overall] display [tested by Dr. Raymond M. Soneira]" An objective and fair person would have then noted the iPhone 5S was never tested and that the other displays do have some advantages, even if minor, over the Galaxy S5, just as I didn't hide the fact that the Galaxy S5 is a great display for the mobile market and much improved over the Galaxy S4, according to Soneira's tests.