Apple continues to experiment with super-low pricing as new $1,099 iMac already discounted to $979,

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81

Stick any non Apple brand 21 inch monitor with the Mac Mini...and you have how much this iMac should be priced at.

488.69 British Pound Sterling

When I put the edu discount in on top of the best buy discount.

The 'cheap' iMac.  Meh.

£899.  (After jacking the £695 iMac with integrated graphics upto £999 with integrated graphics back in 2008?  Then they go £1099.  Then £1195 with integrated graphics.  Re-he-heally, Apple?  Surprised that desktop sales remained flat?  Plus you had to buy the DVD player they canned for an additional £60...  *Nods, sure...)  So, we're back to a tacid price point.  Not really cheap enough.  The Macbook Air is a better deal, you get an SSD drive in it.  And can buy a 21inch monitor to go with it.

Try again, Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

As for the Mac Mini.  Buy an iPad instead.  Or Apple, price the Mini what's it's really worth.  £299 for the entry model.  Doesn't include K/B Mouse or monitor yet it retails £499.   Meh.

• Reply 42 of 81
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    1.4 GHz, ...
    It seems the A7 is a much better deal.
    Apple could sell an iMac for $700,-
  • Reply 43 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I find it interesting that with all the recent events, people still accept the idea the government owns everything.

I'm confused by your statement.  Did I insinuate that or something?  I'm just having trouble following what you're saying...

• Reply 44 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stick any non Apple brand 21 inch monitor with the Mac Mini...and you have how much this iMac should be priced at.

<div style="color:rgb(33,33,33);margin-bottom:5px;padding-bottom:4px;">488.69 British Pound Sterling</div>

When I put the edu discount in on top of the best buy discount.

The 'cheap' iMac.  Meh.

£899.  (After jacking the £695 iMac with integrated graphics upto £999 with integrated graphics back in 2008?  Then they go £1099.  Then £1195 with integrated graphics.  Re-he-heally, Apple?  Surprised that desktop sales remained flat?  Plus you had to buy the DVD player they canned for an additional £60...  *Nods, sure...)  So, we're back to a tacid price point.  Not really cheap enough.  The Macbook Air is a better deal, you get an SSD drive in it.  And can buy a 21inch monitor to go with it.

Try again, Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

As for the Mac Mini.  Buy an iPad instead.  Or Apple, price the Mini what's it's really worth.  £299 for the entry model.  Doesn't include K/B Mouse or monitor yet it retails £499.   Meh.
    Even Shawn King on Jim Darymple's site said this iMac is too expensive for what you get (as did Macworld). I think AI is the only site that thinks its good value for the money. :lol:
  • Reply 45 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As of today, it'll be 609 days.:)

I should know this, because I paid an inordinate amount of attention to it back then, but did the Mac Pro between Clovertown and Penryn go 518 or 618 days? 

• Reply 46 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Even Shawn King on Jim Darymple's site said this iMac is too expensive for what you get (as did Macworld). I think AI is the only site that thinks its good value for the money. :lol:
    Is that before the $120 price break from retailers?
    Weren't you the one piping off about how it should be $899? How is $70 off your "dream" price so ridiculous? And $60 less if you have an .edu acct. at $830. How is $830 a bad deal for schools? Id love to hear the drivel you'd spit regarding that.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    docno42 wrote: »
    Here's something radical they could do - a two or three slot minitower along the lines of the IIcx or IIci.

In other words, the xMac. A GLARING hole in their product line right now :p

I'd rather have functional than thin, please. And the ability to not only pick but CHANGE my graphics card. Apple flat out SUCKS with their complete lack of GPU selection. It's slightly tolerable on laptops, but inexcusable on desktops to have NOT ONE that lets you pick or change your graphic card.

Lol get over it!

Anyway, Apple's not dumb, as the bottom drops out of the generic PC game, which it is, and will continue to do, they'll drop in to fill the void. They're just following the plan to milk the Mac for all it's worth and move on to the next great thing.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

You're kidding right? 256GB is not nearly enough storage for a home computer. Between music, photos and movies, 1TB is minimum. I do like the Fusion/hybrid drive so the OS and live on the flash storage and everything just boots and runs faster.

Its enough for me...1TB would be way overkill. Buy an external if you need more space. 

• Reply 49 of 81
    Wait! The i5-4260U in the new "cheap" iMac costs MORE than the previous low end quad core i5. Apple could have saved money by just dropping the price of the previous model by $200 or $300. It would have been a better value for Apple and for consumers.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Same here...such as NY for example. Its mentioned on the NYS Tax Return to enter in all of your purchases. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know just checks the box that says I haven't made any internet purchases that didn't have tax already paid. NY gets enough of my money as it is. They don't need anymore of it. 

Do what busloads of people do daily: hop on one down to the Apple Store in the Christiana Mall in Delaware, not far from the northern border. No sales tax, and you don't need to declare your state's % going there in person, at around $30 roundtrip. In the second smallest state by area (and one of the smallest populations) It's supposedly the biggest seller of certain Apple products in the country except for the NYC 5th Ave store, which is open 24 hours.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

[256GB] Its enough for me...1TB would be way overkill. Buy an external if you need more space. 

So what exactly is the point of making the computer smaller and smaller and smaller (and thinner and thinner and thinner) if you're just going to use up the saved space with external storage devices? If the latter makes sense, the former doesn't (and vice-versa).

I suppose 256 might be sufficient if you never create any video yourself and all of your photos and purchased content are in the cloud, but for most people it's not even close to enough. My wife outgrew her 500GB drive just by accumulating photos over the years. I think you underestimate how much storage "ordinary" people use.

• Reply 52 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I should know this, because I paid an inordinate amount of attention to it back then, but did the Mac Pro between Clovertown and Penryn go 518 or 618 days? 

Clovertown was from April 2007.

Penryn is the Core2Duo (desk + lap).

Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ? 8 months.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Clovertown was from April 2007. Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ? 8 months.

Ah, no, I meant Woodcrest to Harpertown. :(

• Reply 54 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Clovertown was from April 2007. Maybe you mean Harpertown, which was from Jan 2008, so ? 8 months.

Ah, no, I meant Woodcrest to Harpertown. :(

Ah, ok. Aug 2006, so ? 17 months.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Really? You feel that honesty and ethics are worthy of your scorn and ridicule?

The irony is that your post says much more about YOU than him!

There's nothing unethical about avoiding paying taxes unnecessarily.  So yes, it's most certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule.

• Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

There's nothing unethical about avoiding paying taxes unnecessarily.  So yes, it's most certainly worthy of scorn and ridicule.

That actually depends on the definition of "unnecessarily." If it means "voluntarily submitting monies that are not due" you'd be right.

If it means, as in this case, "submitting monies that are due despite the fact that there's very little chance of being punished if you don't" then it becomes a perfect test of ethical conviction.

Either way, even if you think he's wrong, I really don't understand why you would consider that grounds for derision? It doesn't affect you in the slightest. I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to do the right thing without needing the threat of punishment to make them do it.

• Reply 57 of 81
    mactacmactac Posts: 318member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

sigh.  why is it a glaring hole in their product line.  If they are missing MILLIONS of sales... it's a glaring hole. 1,000s?  not so much.

And never having offered such a product you don't know if it is millions or thousands.

Many Apple users accept compromises on what they end up buying because Apple refuses to fill the void.

You end up with customers but perhaps they aren't as satisfied as they could be.

• Reply 58 of 81
    apple ][ wrote: »
    How long has it been since the last Mini Refresh? I'd love to grab one myself.
    I know the answer to that, because the topic came up last night and I looked it up.

As of today, it'll be [SIZE=28px]609[/SIZE] days.:)

Only 391 to go. ????
  • Reply 59 of 81
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Have patience  it will come eventually.

• Reply 60 of 81
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Clovertown was added as a top option. I don't know if I would call that a true refresh.