WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

If the big one isn't ready for a Fall release, maybe as a stopgap measure, for comparison purposes, Apple Stores can have a sample Galaxy in that size.

I'm referring of course to the Galaxy S6 which will surely release in August and copy the iPhone 6 in every way, except those that count.

Kidding.

• Reply 22 of 82
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Or "Hey, I'm not going to buy a new iPhone until I can try fitting both sizes in my pocket, and then make a decision."

?The pocket size issue will be a deal-breaker for many.

I'm going to pre-order the 4.7" iPhone "6" for exactly that reason.

(If the rumors of a 4.7" screen are true.)

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.

(that's funny) Just goes to show where my head's at:

Never even occurred to me that anybody could just walk into a Bestbuy, or somewhere, and pick up any "iPhone-like" unit in roughly those sizes, and get a good enough feel for what sized device they would like for their next iPhone.

Maybe I should do that. (though I feel quite certain I'll be a 4.7)

• Reply 23 of 82
    gw06gw06 Posts: 1member
    Two launches is twice the publicity of lines waiting to buy. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I already thought about this. I borrowed a friend's 6" LG Flex for a few minutes and put it in my pocket, walking around and sitting in my car. For me, the size won't be an issue.

Awkward for me to pull my iPhone 5 out of my Levi's 501 left front pocket when I'm sitting down.

Nearly impossible to get it back into the front pocket when I'm sitting down.

Sure, walking around, sitting, etc. may be OK with, say, a 4.7" iPhone "6."  But it might be really tough to get it in and out of my pocket when seated.  Unless, of course, it has that rounded-edge backshell.  That should reduce friction, and I would also be able to avoid buying a case.  I only need a case for my 5 because the anodized edges get worn through unless they're protected.  Not an issue with the silver, major issue with the slate.  Rounded edges would eliminate that sharp "hot spot" along the edge that focuses all the wear on a very narrow area.

And, hoping beyond all hope, maybe the "6" will get a scuff-resistant Liquidmetal backshell...

• Reply 25 of 82
    I hope Apple isn't painting themselves into a corner with this move—especially if they really are going to have the 4.7" as the smallest premium phone.

In my opinion, the actual real or potential iPhone customers (i.e., neither Fandroid trolls nor paid shills) who are so hot for larger screens that they would even consider switching to Android over it are a vanishingly small percentage—a..."rounding error", if you will.

They are extremely loud and extremely annoying on tech-fan sites like this one, but among the general public I doubt if they're numerous enough to be measurable in the actual sales figures, especially if there's any kind of cost premium associated with the larger size.

Personally, I wish they'd go back to the 4:3 3.5" size, mostly because 16:9 is a horrendous aspect ratio for a phone. (Or a tablet. Or a computer. Or basically anything but a TV set.)
  • Reply 26 of 82
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    If they stagger, I hope they at least tell us if the specs/options will be the same and what the price points will be.
  • Reply 27 of 82

I read that TS is not a Mod anymore, is this true.

• Reply 28 of 82
    baytedbayted Posts: 13member

My co-worker uses a Samsung phone. He always carries the phone with hand. And put it down at table

when goes out for lunch.

I joked that I would lose the phone very fast if I carry the phone this way.

• Reply 29 of 82
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

For what it's worth, I still haven't see a 5c in the wild.

I have seen scads of them. I work in a middle school and they are very popular--not that the kids were dying for them specifically, but the parents aren't springing for the 5s...
  • Reply 30 of 82
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I'll be waiting for the 5.5 incher. I've been holding onto my iPhone 4 since 2010. I want a full blown upgrade. I mean, I've never even experienced Siri. Can't wait.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member
    Unless you are wearing skinny jeans, a 6" phone fits in the pocket just fine.
    I have a Nokia 1520 as a 2nd device, just for the fun of trying it out and I have no issues using the large device or storing it in my pockets.

Going into production and release dates are 2 different things.
    They are most likely going to sell the 4.7" iPhone 2-to-1 over the 5.5"
    It makes sense that they would start stock piling the 4.7 nearly a full month before the 5.5"
    Then they release both in Oct. and have plenty of both.

I am going 5.5" no doubt in my mind, even IF it releases later than the 4.7"
  • Reply 32 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

I want a full blown upgrade.

And a 5.5” phone is as blown as you’ll get.

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Completely and utterly wrong.

• Reply 33 of 82
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I'll be buying the largest iPhone available on release day. If they stagger and release a larger one later on, I'll buy that one on its release day too and then worry about selling the smaller one used - or simply returning it to Apple for a full refund if it's been less than 30 days.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    I know several friends moving back from Android this year. Also quite a few (really a lot) of folks I know with a 4S who've been waiting for the upgrade.

I think Apple knows that even 60M may not be enough to meet demand. Impressive.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I have seen scads of them. I work in a middle school and they are very popular--not that the kids were dying for them specifically, but the parents aren't springing for the 5s...

I'm one of those parents.

• Reply 36 of 82
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    r00fus wrote: »
    I know several friends moving back from Android this year. Also quite a few (really a lot) of folks I know with a 4S who've been waiting for the upgrade.

I think Apple knows that even 60M may not be enough to meet demand. Impressive.

Yeah. I'm in the 4S camp. Been out of contract for a year but decided to skip the 5S.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member

I'll be upgrading my iphone4s and my other halfs iphone4.

Probably the larger one for me and the smaller one for the lady of the house, but that depends on if I can fit it in my non-skinny jeans front pocket easily enough. I didn't buy a 5 or a 5s as I didn't want something bigger due to the pockets issue. But my eyes are starting to demand a larger screen. Might have to go with an iPhone case with a chain and use back pocket.

When new iPad comes out I'll be upgrading that too, and probably buy an extra one too.

Basically going all Lightning to avoid different cables.

Old devices given to family.

iWatch? If they make it I will buy it.

New Apple TV? If they make it I will buy it.

• Reply 38 of 82
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

In my opinion, the actual real or potential iPhone customers (i.e., neither Fandroid trolls nor paid shills) who are so hot for larger screens that they would even consider switching to Android over it are a vanishingly small percentage—a..."rounding error", if you will.

I think you're right.

On the other hand you've got people like me still using an iPhone 4 because subsequent offerings haven't been what I really want, which is a phablet. Since an upgrade costs $1800 ($900 each for wife and me), we decided we'd rather just carry on with dated tech than pay long coin for something else that still isn't really what we want.

So we haven't switched to another brand, but we haven't bought anything from Apple either.

• Reply 39 of 82
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Completely and utterly wrong.

Nope.

(Annoying, isn't it?)

• Reply 40 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Agreed, I don't know what skin tight trousers other people are wearing, but my pockets have oodles of room around my 5S; plenty of room for a much bigger screen.