Microsoft looking to open retail outlet near flagship 5th Ave. Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple's iconic glass cube may soon get a neighbor in longtime rival Microsoft, which is supposedly in negotiations to open a retail space on New York's Fifth Ave., just a few blocks away from the city's flagship Apple Store.

Apple's Fifth Ave. flaghship store (highlighted in red) is just a few blocks north of Microsoft's rumored outlet (pinned).

According to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans, the Redmond, Wash. company is looking to take over a two-story space previously occupied by Fendi, a short walking distance from Apple's Fifth Ave. outlet, reports the New York Daily News.

Located at 677 Fifth Ave., the 8,700-square-foot property would be Microsoft's first permanent store in Manhattan. Previously, the company opened a Times Square pop-up shop in 2012, though the installation was temporary. In 2005, rumors suggested Microsoft would open a retail space in the historic One Times Square building, which hosts the widely televised annual New Year's Eve ball drop, though plans ultimately fell through.

Apple took the wraps off its Fifth Ave. location in 2006, four years after opening its first Manhattan location in SoHo. The outlet's 32-foot glass cube entryway, said to have been designed by late cofounder Steve Jobs, never closes and has become one of the most photographed spots in the city.

Following Apple's lead, Microsoft opened its first branded retail store in 2009 at a Scottsdale, Ariz. mall. Since then, the software giant has rolled out a total of 102 stores in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. -- many times near Apple Stores -- with another 12 opening soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Made out of plexiglass, of course.

• Reply 2 of 68
    4myego4myego Posts: 4member
    too little too late from a former leader to a going down follower
  • Reply 3 of 68
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

So prestiges a spot to stand so proudly empty? I’m stymied.

• Reply 4 of 68
    cletuscletus Posts: 54member
    4myego wrote: »
    former leader

Never my leader.
  • Reply 5 of 68

Are Microsoft retail stores doing that well so that they'd have to open another one?  The other stores are usually empty so merely adding more empty space isn't any solution.  Once they get the product to pack the first stores, then they can see about opening more.  This way, Microsoft is simply being inefficient with space.

• Reply 6 of 68
    They still have stores, who knew that.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Hmmm... I thought that Nadella was changing course at Microsoft!?
  • Reply 8 of 68
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

I'd love to give Microsoft the benefit of a doubt, but this has to be the biggest waste of money and just a vanity project.

I haven't read one good story about MS stores being populated with people, outside of luring people in for a store opening.

How many times do you read that someone always sees the local Apple store packed and only 3 or 4 people in the MS store?

Well, MS does have deep pockets, so this is probably the biggest lost leader for them percentage-wise.

• Reply 9 of 68
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Well, on rainy days, the MS store will be a nice dry place for the overflow crowd to take refuge until there is room for them in Apple's store.

• Reply 10 of 68
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Monkey see. Monkey do.

Stupid move on their part. I see the consumer going to the Apple Store, checking out the iPad, walking over to the Microsoft store to check out the Surface than going back to the Apple Store to purchase an iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    4myego wrote: »
    too little too late from a former leader to a going down follower

I hear you but Microsoft wouldn't know what the word 'leader' means. It was the Scamsung of the last century. Copy copy copy ... Steal steal steal ....

I am very happy to see there presence on the mobile stage fail to even register on any graphs.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    thornwald wrote: »
    They still have stores, who knew that.

I hear Woolworth were thinking of offering to take them over, but they felt they were too down market.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    teongoteongo Posts: 11member

MSFT, they are genius. Why work, just copy!

• Reply 14 of 68
    Competition is good, but this is foolish... wow I can't believe I just said that about MS... I remember the days of slavery.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    pfisher wrote: »
    I haven't read one good story about MS stores being populated with people, outside of luring people in for a store opening.

How many times do you read that someone always sees the local Apple store packed and only 3 or 4 people in the MS store?

To be fair those articles stating there is no one in the MS stores are usually published on sites like AI, not exactly known for correctly story telling when it comes to MS. Maybe you should widen the number of sites you visit to get a more rounded view of the truth, as you first statement is incorrect.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Monkey see. Monkey do.

Ballmer retired you know.

• Reply 17 of 68
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Are Microsoft retail stores doing that well so that they'd have to open another one?  The other stores are usually empty so merely adding more empty space isn't any solution.  Once they get the product to pack the first stores, then they can see about opening more.  This way, Microsoft is simply being inefficient with space.

Here in our Vancouver area,  at the Metrotown mall in Burnaby, BC;

MS opened a store after trying a small  isle stand in the middle of the mall.

But they put their fairly large store in an out of the way location downstairs, whereas Apple's very large store is on the second floor main walkway  where there is much walk by traffic.

Apple's store is very busy, at times difficult to walk around in.

MS's store wasn't that busy when I looked at it the second week it was open. I haven't returned to see it again, as it is not in a location I (or others) normally walk by.

Of course Apple's store has many different user products, nicely setup on tables for users to try.

The MS store had only that Surface thing, a few phones and a few PCs showing the latest Windows antivirus update.

• Reply 18 of 68

Why?

• Reply 19 of 68
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Well SAMSUNG has started this as well copying the stores. The interesting part is that the stores in Europe have design patents that should complicate using "copy me" strategy in one of the most important markets.
  • Reply 20 of 68

i hope the doors are wide open and the AC is cranked up on those hot summer days.