Samsung's 'rushed,' 'half-baked' announcements set Apple up for easy victory this fall, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    No.

I notice you left out the part of my quote that said the analysts were in agreement with Apple, which they were. You can't have it both ways. If the analysts were wrong, then so was Apple. If Apple was right, then so were the analysts.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Just because a product doesn't merit a recall doesn't mean that it was appropriately functional. Apple redesigned it to be more difficult to block the signal while gripping the phone. And yes the 5 was redesigned because Apple knew they could improve the design over the 4S, just like they were able to improve the design of the antenna from 4 to 4S.

Regardless of how you want to spin Tim's comments, he said that the 5C did not meet expectations. The analysts also said it did not meet expectations. Therefore they were right and in agreement with Apple.

Stop spinning or you'll corkscrew into the ground. Analysts were wrong. The 4 was the most successful iPhone when it was release. There was no recall or pushback from the public.
    Where is the quote where Tim said the 5C was a disappointment.
    "Cook also addressed the launch of the iPhone 5c and 5s, noting that the two phones both outsold Apple's previous products in the middle tier and the high end..."
  • Reply 63 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I notice you left out the part of my quote that said the analysts were in agreement with Apple, which they were. You can't have it both ways. If the analysts were wrong, then so was Apple. If Apple was right, then so were the analysts.

No.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You can't have it both ways.

Of course you can. An analyst can say something correct without having any knowledge whatsoever. That doesn’t make them right. I can call heads on a coin flip, but when it comes up heads I didn’t “know” what it was.

• Reply 65 of 96
    jungmark wrote: »
    Stop spinning or you'll corkscrew into the ground. Analysts were wrong. The 4 was the most successful iPhone when it was release. There was no recall or pushback from the public.
    Where is the quote where Tim said the 5C was a disappointment.
    "Cook also addressed the launch of the iPhone 5c and 5s, noting that the two phones both outsold Apple's previous products in the middle tier and the high end..."

There was plenty of pushback. You don't recall all of the complaints from customers about dropping signal? Apple actually has a support page dedicated to it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4389

And here's the article about the 5C not meeting expectations. I didn't say he was disappointed in it.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/27/tim-cook-admits-iphone-5c-share-lower-than-expected-says-demand-was-different-than-we-thought
  • Reply 66 of 96
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No.

Yes.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Of course you can. An analyst can say something correct without having any knowledge whatsoever. That doesn’t make them right. I can call heads on a coin flip, but when it comes up heads I didn’t “know” what it was.

If you're right coincidentally, you're still right.
  • Reply 68 of 96

If the iPhone 4 was such a dude after being sold for over 3.25 years then the iPhone 5 at one year and the original iPhone at about 10.5 months must have really been pieces of shit.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    If you're right coincidentally, you're still right.

So you roll a die and a 4 comes up. You then say, "because I rolled a 4 this time a 5 will come up next time." You roll again and a 5 does comes up. In your mind that means you're logic was corrct because or agreed with the outcome? Keep thinking that¡
  • Reply 70 of 96
    So you roll a die and a 4 comes up. You then say, "because I rolled a 4 this time a 5 will come up next time." You roll again and a 5 does comes up. In your mind that means you're logic was corrct because or agreed with the outcome? Keep thinking that¡

A poor example. Your reasoning can be flawed or perfect, and it has no bearing on whether your conclusion is correct. All we've been discussing was the analysts' conclusions because we generally have no insight into their reasoning process.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    A poor example. Your reasoning can be flawed or perfect, and it has no bearing on whether your conclusion is correct. All we've been discussing was the analysts' conclusions because we generally have no insight into their reasoning process.

Sure we do. We know they felt the iPhome 4 was worthy of their browsing. We know they tested the hell out of it. We also know that it's not proof the iPhone 4 wasnt an inae piece of shit when they started selling the 4S a year later.

PS: I think the GSM iPhone 4 is their longest running iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    Sure we do. We know they felt the iPhome 4 was worthy of their browsing. We know they tested the hell out of it. We also know that it's not proof the iPhone 4 wasnt an inae piece of shit when they started selling the 4S a year later.

PS: I think the GSM iPhone 4 is their longest running iPhone.

Of course not. When they started selling the 4S it was an indication that they were ready to market an upgraded product. The indicator that the antenna was poorly designed on the 4 was when they changed it for the 4S even though the rest of the phone body stayed the same (along with the complaints, tests, reports, and Apple support sitesite acknowledgement).
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Of course not. When they started selling the 4S it was an indication that they were ready to market an upgraded product. The indicator that the antenna was poorly designed on the 4 was when they changed it for the 4S even though the rest of the phone body stayed the same.

Again, no.

Here's a hint: Verizon.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Again, no.

Here's a hint: Verizon.

The need to interface with a different spectrum should only affect the radio used in the phone. The antenna isn't compatible with certain frequencies and not others.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    The need to interface with a different spectrum should only affect the radio used in the phone. The antenna isn't compatible with certain frequencies and not others.

:no:

There aren't enough facepalm images to place after your posts.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    :no:

There aren't enough facepalm images to place after your posts.

Just did some reading and I was wrong. Antennas can be tuned to multiple frequencies, but the one in the iPhone is not (or at least certain regions are tuned to certain frequencies). This article is an interesting read, and they actually foresaw the attenuation issue.

http://microwavejournal.blogspot.com/2010/06/antenna-technology-enables-multi-band.html?m=1
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Analysts were proven wrong. The 4 wasn't recalled for the antenna. The 5C was a success. The original iPhone, iPad, iPad mini were all successes.

The antenna was redesigned for the 4S, the 5C did not meet expectations according to Tim Cook himself, and I don't recall an analyst saying that either iPad had failed after release. In fact I don't recall any analysts saying the iPad mini would fail before it was released although I do recall that for the original iPad.

You have a very poor memory.

• Reply 78 of 96

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224894/QA_Carmack_reveals_the_challenges_of_mobile_VR_game_development.php

Here's an interview talking about a few developers' experiences working with Samsung's VR headset. 

In summary,

1) Development for Android sucks due to the lack of native code (and the existing code isn't very intuitive).

2) You face a ton of constraints on a mobile device, from battery drain to resource consumption. Good luck running more than a few minutes without your Note4 melting. 

I foresee the VR headset being Samsung's next dud, from lack of developer support to a poor user experience overall. 

• Reply 79 of 96

If the 2k screen, metal frame Galaxy Note 4 with all of the high end specs and features Samsung has put on it is not enough to wow people. I really don't know what to say. The Note 4 is better than both unannounced iPhones!

• Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

If the 2k screen, metal frame Galaxy Note 4 with all of the high end specs and features Samsung has put on it is not enough to wow people. I really don't know what to say. Seems like the iSheep will buy anything Cook sells to them. The Note 4 is better than both unannounced iPhones!

Yep - you don't know what to say.