Apple announces 4.7" iPhone 6 and 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus: New design, A8 CPU, Retina HD display

17810121318

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    gwmac wrote: »
    [SIZE=18px]Attention long time resident trolls: When will the self-imposed posting ban start since you lost the bet or do you intend to welch?  [/SIZE]

    If you're referring to the bets with [@]sog35[/@], then he let everyone off the hook.
  • Reply 182 of 343
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,518member
    evilution wrote: »
    Thank god they shut that bitch up.

    Wish we could do the same to you.
  • Reply 183 of 343

    Off topic, but did anyone notice the iPod Classic is no longer on the Apple Store? 

  • Reply 184 of 343
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

    Off topic, but did anyone notice the iPod Classic is no longer on the Apple Store? 



    Finally.

  • Reply 185 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

     

    Well, this IS Apple Watch 1.0 alpha

    The next iteration will be the beta version.


     

    Looks terrible - probably the worst Apple keynote in more than 20 years.


    From the standpoint of being able to tap into the excitement of the room... I TOTALLY agree! On the other hand, Apple DID make history by almost bringing the internet to its knees.


     

    When I was listening to Kevin presenting the Apple Watch, I was thinking, 'I miss Steve Jobs.'

     

    I was supplanting Jobs in his place, imagining the excited, captivating inflection in his voice, as opposed to the low monotonous tone of Kevin's. Jobs infected us with his enthusiasm. He had ebb and flow, he created an intense focus that drew you in. 

     

    I still love Apple. But my hopes for their shares are tempered.

     

    My hit rate is not so great for recent Apple: I wasn't enamoured with the iPhone, and thought the iPad would be huge, so 50%. I fear that the Apple Watch is a miss. Too big, too clunky-looking, not a compelling use-case. If I can do mobile payments with my iPhone, do I really want to wear a huge watch to do the same thing? I still may be swayed once I see it in a shop.

     

    I've just measured my watch-35mm in diameter. The smaller Apple Watch, at 38mm, is not too much larger, possibly. The big one, at 42mm, is way too large. I thought it all looked too fiddly in the Keynote. For me, the first mistake was when Kevin gave the demo using the watch on a stand-that's how I would have imagined Microsoft doing it! He should have demoed it on his wrist, so we could truly see how usable it was. I can see why he didn't; I guess it might have looked ungainly with the video feed wire dangling from it.

     

    If it had been Jobs, he would have immediately dwelt lovingly on some physical aspect of the watch. It's like Jurassic Park: in every film, they were careful to have someone touch a dinosaur bone, in order to bring them to life. I never felt that the Apple watch came to life, and considering that it's the most personal product that Apple have potentially made, I feel that this was a significant mistake.

  • Reply 186 of 343
    brlawyer wrote: »
    WTF is this terrible Chinese overdubbing???

    That might be the sound of Samsung stepping in shit.
  • Reply 187 of 343
    I can't believe I missed basically half of the keynote due to the epic fail of the live stream! However, apart from that I am so excited about the iPhone 6! I don't know which one to get though!
  • Reply 188 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member

    I did. Read.

    Accusing me of something I didn't do is not answering my questions. I don't see why I would argue about this being just a iPhone and Apple Watch event when last year they refreshed almost their entire line up in one day.
  • Reply 189 of 343

    The iPhone 5c is FREE!

     

    That makes it 99 cents cheaper than the Amazon Fire!  /s

  • Reply 190 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post



    What a clusterfuck of a keynote.



    I didn't need a health app on my Apple Watch to remind me to stand up; I was doing it every fucking minute refreshing the Safari tab as the Chinese VoiceOver and freezing drove me crazy.



    Now it's the 'delights' of U2. FML. ????




    See my other posts. The backbones and trans-oceanic cables died! In fact, many UK sites were unavailable and I'm rocking a 100mb line. i posted my local results at around 90mb, to the West Coast around 2mb. I'm amazed AI kept up, but just barely.



    NOTE: I believe some of the BBs were also struggling in NA, because that guy from Canada was bitchin' the same time I was.

     

    It's a sign of the interest Apple drew, and I feared it would happen. Sure made for an annoying keynote, though, whatever caused it.

  • Reply 191 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    I did. Read.




    Accusing me of something I didn't do is not answering my questions. I don't see why I would argue about this being just a iPhone and Apple Watch event when last year they refreshed almost their entire line up in one day.

    Maybe Apple could have this year too, but didn't want to take any attention away from the new phones and watch... May have just been stratigic and not because they aren't ready to go.

  • Reply 192 of 343
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

     

    did I just miss the part where they talked about ios8?


     

     

    They only talked about iOS 8 for a couple minutes.   Plus the bits and pieces that support the new services and HW during those times.

  • Reply 193 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by littlemonster29 View Post



    I can't believe I missed basically half of the keynote due to the epic fail of the live stream! However, apart from that I am so excited about the iPhone 6! I don't know which one to get though!

     

    I think I may end up with the 6 Plus, if only due to the extra battery life it has over the 6, dammit. I may even end up with a 5s if the 4.7" is too big. Shame Apple couldn't achieve the same battery life in both 6 models.

  • Reply 194 of 343
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,100member

    re: Apple Watch battery life.

     

    They did not say anything today about it for one reason.   Anything they said today would be obsolete by the time they release it in 2015.  They still have a few months to go in terms of finalizing things and numbers from today would be too unreliable.

     

    The phones are available in 10 days.  They have firm data for that.  The watch will be at least 4 months if not 6 months.  Lots of time to work things out and improve what they are getting in their alpha watches.

  • Reply 195 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Maybe Apple could have this year too, but didn't want to take any attention away from the new phones and watch... May have just been stratigic and not because they aren't ready to go.

    The reason I asked is because I plan on buying my son last year's retina iPad mini, and would prefer to buy it at a reduced price. If it isn't available by Nov 17, then he'll have to wait until Xmas.
  • Reply 196 of 343
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,797member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    If you're referring to the bets with @sog35, then he let everyone off the hook.

    Nah, the one he made with me. he said if the 5.5" was anything other than an iPod Touch he wouldn't post for a month. Can't be bothered to look for it but did find this post which is very apropos.

     

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/177343/carriers-suggest-a-big-screen-iphone-6-could-be-a-very-special-success-in-china/80

     

  • Reply 197 of 343
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

    I was cringing at Gruber's over-1080p prediction, even though some software clues pointed that way. Those kinds of super-high DPI are very difficult to detect when you're specifically trying--and impossible in actual use--whilt they BURN BATTERY and MEMORY and SLOW the GPU. A phone should not have an iMac screen shrunk small. Doing so is pure marketing by other companies, trying desperately to differentiate their near-identical products. I'm glad Apple stopped at 1080p! Let other companies burn your phone's resources over such marketing fluff!

     

    DPI is not the most important quality that makes a screen look good in any case. When people notice a difference between two screens and assume it's the DPI... it's probably not. Looking forward to seeing the other screen improvements Apple has made.

  • Reply 198 of 343
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

     

    OIS is awesome, I would have liked to see a slight bump to like 12MP or something to get daylight photos sharper, but still great stuff.

     

    But WHY only have OIS in the 6+. Obviously there's more space to play with, but it sucks that one new iPhone flagship will have a noticeably better camera than another model.




    Because Apple are too obsessed with thinness.  Most people would rather Apple put higher capacity batteries in their phones and made them a bit thicker.  If they had done that with the 6 they would have had the room to put in the better camera.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    debbie downer.

     

    fact is the camera takes amazing pictures and the 6 element lense is a game changer




    A game changer for Apple but not if you happen to have a Nokia 1020 with it's 6 element Zeiss lens.

  • Reply 199 of 343
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

    I predicted back in 2010 that Apple would eventually do everything we were seeing with Android phones, which essentially was a screen size for every group.  Small phone, medium phone, big phone;  Small tablet, big tablet.  I didn't predict they'd go so far as to copy companies on these stupid smart watches though.  That's surprising.  They really have devolved since Jobs' passing. 

     

    @Tallest Skil, people like you were just plain wrong this entire time.  Is it really beyond you to apologize for acting like a pretentious know it all?  People have been saying this would happen for literally years now.  Honestly, if there weren't so many like you pushing back on the mere SUGGESTION that Apple would go this route, it wouldn't even be that big of a deal now that you're being shown to have been wrong the entire time.  Furthermore, these predictions were the result of desires.  OF COURSE Apple is going to listen to the overwhelming number of people wishing for bigger screens and whatnot.

  • Reply 200 of 343
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

    @Tallest Skil, people like you were just plain wrong this entire time.  


     

    I don’t get it. The phone is too large for its interface to be used with one hand. Apple explicitly admits this.

     

    People have been saying this would happen for literally years now.


     

    Ah, I see. If you say it long enough, that makes it true.

     

    OF COURSE Apple is going to listen to the overwhelming number of people wishing for bigger screens and whatnot.


     

    The “overwhelming number”, meaning 10% of the market? Okay¡

Sign In or Register to comment.