Apple links new U2 album to iTunes accounts, causes unapproved auto-downloads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Where exactly under Playlists? I don't have a playlist called "U2" or "Songs of Innocence". Nothing under "Purchased Music" either. I've searched my library for both, in addition to the title of some of the songs in the album.....nothing. image

You only get the album pushed to you if you have Automatic Downloads enabled. Otherwise go to the iTunes Store, not your library. On the right of the page you will see Quick Links. Under Quick Links you will see Purchased. Click Purchased and the album will be located there. Click the Cloud icon to download the album. Once you download the album take few extra minutes to read some iTunes help files so you can learn how to use the iTunes app.

• Reply 62 of 85
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What's this?

A complementary pillow mint?

I don't want this installed on my pillow.

It's just crappy branded candy that would never sell well.

Now everyone is going to think I like pillow mints.

I would go ballistic if they put hard candy or chewing gum on my pillow.

The guy who owns the pillow mint factory is all washed up.

Rabble rabble rabble!

Yeah!  And I can't even throw the darned mint away!

Apple sure knows how to ruin a pillow!

• Reply 63 of 85
    dewme wrote: »

I agree that this would have been a cleaner implementation rather than showing it as already purchased. Perhaps this has something to do with the accounting model Apple is using to pay U2 for the right to give away a finite (but still huge) number of copies. If it was shown as "Free" it would represent a sizable but unquantifiable debt sitting on Apple's books.

In any case, this is a beautiful and well intentioned gesture by Apple to thank their iTunes customers. Stumbling a tiny bit on the delivery mechanism is entirely forgivable, unless you're a pathological douchebag or puppy kicker.

I think it was intended to be a stunt whereby something went to half a billion in 5 second, to impress us about the size of the ecosystem. It took me about 15 minutes to get it, so that didn't work. I was ok with because I was "at" the event, but generally I feel invaded when anything is pushed on me whether in person or cyberspace. I doubt they'll do it again. It's really not the pusher's place to decide for me that I will be happy to have. There is plenty of "free" stuff I have probably spent thousands of dollars over my lifetime getting rid of.
  • Reply 64 of 85

On a similar note (and I'm guessing the answer's no) is there any way to permanently remove a purchased item from your iTunes account?  Say I don't want songs I got via the Free Song of the Week if I decided they were lame after 'purchasing' and downloading them.  I'd like to not have clutter now that all previous purchases show up in the Music app.

Is there no way to conveniently 'return' a purchase (or giveaway) if you're not happy with it?

• Reply 65 of 85
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I hear Samsung will be giving away a new album by V3...

• Reply 66 of 85
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is the firstest of first world problems. If you have auto downloads on over 3G you are wasting bandwidth anyway. If you don't it's not on your device. It's not really in your icloud either. That's just a link to a track on some physical server somewhere. They didn't create 500M copies.
  • Reply 67 of 85
    boredumb wrote: »
    I hear Samsung will be giving away a new album by V3...

Great band V3 with slightly derivative a songs by bobo, the ledge and the other two.
  • Reply 68 of 85

All you people spewing outrage at getting a free album because you hate U2: if you really were Apple users and not astroturfing Fandroids, you already know how to get help from Apple regarding any real issue or inconvenience this may cause you:

https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

or

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

or else make a suggestion:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

• Reply 69 of 85
    Fortunately, I had auto downloads (Preference-Store) turned off. It's bad enough that some of what I pay Apple is going aggressively tax-evading Bono-U2. It'd be worse if their music were cluttering my hard drive.

Note too this Guardian article in which Bono says, in essence, that the sales of their latest album were down because the public is stupid, or as Bono put it: "And I suppose we've made a work that is a bit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of pop stars."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/oct/26/u2-bono-disappointed-album-sales

Elitist and phony, no wonder U2 sales are down. Music fans don't like prigs.
  • Reply 70 of 85
    inkling wrote: »
    Fortunately, I had auto downloads (Preference-Store) turned off. It's bad enough that some of what I pay Apple is going aggressively tax-evading Bono-U2. It'd be worse if their music were cluttering my hard drive.

Note too this Guardian article in which Bono says, in essence, that the sales of their latest album were down because the public is stupid, or as Bono put it: "And I suppose we've made a work that is a bit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of pop stars."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/oct/26/u2-bono-disappointed-album-sales

Elitist and phony, no wonder U2 sales are down. Music fans don't like prigs.

Unless you are Irish Bono or U2's tax evasion isn't really your issue.

Bono probably pays far more tax than he needs to as he declares tax residence in Ireland and doesn't have to.
  • Reply 71 of 85

Google and you'll discover a host of articles about how Bono-U2 once paid straight Irish taxes when they were the lowest. When those taxes went up for entertainers with large incomes, Bono-U2 switched to a tax-evasion scheme called the Irish-Dutch Sandwich to continue his tax avoidance. Here's but one article on the topic.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1026589.shtml

I seem to recall reading that Apple uses a similar ploy. Perhaps that's one reason for this Apple/Bono connection. Tax-evaders of a feather flock together.

And like Bono, Apple has an unpleasant tendency to posture moral superiority (i.e "Think Different"). In Apple's case, the fact that it has over $140 billion in cash reserves doesn't keep in from demanding tax rebates from struggling little towns desperate to get a server farm. There too, ordinary people get stuck with all the the taxes Apple doesn't pay. Perhaps I should amend that to say, "Jerks of a feather flock together," because that's what both are behaving like.

And it does matter to me because the taxes that Bono-U2 don't pay have to be made up by people who earn far less than they and who aren't in a position to create tax-evading legal fictions like a Irish-Dutch Sandwich. I may not be them, but I feel for them. 

• Reply 72 of 85
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Bono-U2 switched to a tax-evasion scheme called the Irish-Dutch Sandwich to continue his tax avoidance. 

So is he doing anything illegal?

I seem to recall reading that Apple uses a similar ploy. Perhaps that's one reason for this Apple/Bono connection. Tax-evaders of a feather flock together.

So is Apple doing anything illegal?

And like Bono, Apple has an unpleasant tendency to posture moral superiority (i.e "Think Different").

So are either of them doing anything illegal?

In Apple's case, the fact that it has over $140 billion in cash reserves doesn't keep in from demanding tax rebates from struggling little towns desperate to get a server farm.

It’s ALMOST as though the point of a company is to make money. 

• Reply 73 of 85
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Google and you'll discover a host of articles about how Bono-U2 once paid straight Irish taxes when they were the lowest. When those taxes went up for entertainers with large incomes, Bono-U2 switched to a tax-evasion scheme called the Irish-Dutch Sandwich to continue his tax avoidance. Here's but one article on the topic.

And like Bono, Apple has an unpleasant tendency to posture moral superiority (i.e "Think Different"). In Apple's case, the fact that it has over $140 billion in cash reserves doesn't keep in from demanding tax rebates from struggling little towns desperate to get a server farm. There too, ordinary people get stuck with all the the taxes Apple doesn't pay. Perhaps I should amend that to say, "Jerks of a feather flock together," because that's what both are behaving like.

And it does matter to me because the taxes that Bono-U2 don't pay have to be made up by people who earn far less than they and who aren't in a position to create tax-evading legal fictions like a Irish-Dutch Sandwich. I may not be them, but I feel for them. 

So was it tax evasion or tax avoidance? One being entirely legal, of course, and any company not making its best effort to minimize tax burden is failing its own shareholders.
  • Reply 74 of 85

I think if you can't tell the difference between Bono the person and U2 the company you should probably stop posting. Bono could evade tax by living elsewhere but he is in a very high personal tax regime.
  • Reply 75 of 85
    lkrupp wrote: »

I don’t know which group is worse, the douche bags or the dummies.

Those who complain about them.
  • Reply 76 of 85

Alas, all the accounts I've read have both Bono the guy and U2 the band taking advantage of the Irish-Dutch sandwich. Besides, the more taxes U2 avoids, the more is passed along to Bono. It amounts to the same thing.

When I lived in Seattle we had to endure something similar. Both Bill Gates, Sr. and Jr., thought 'tax the rich but not me' was a credible position. It wasn't.

Gates Jr. spent far more on his Lake Washington home that it ended up being worth because not just the plans but the as-built kept changing. I knew a guy who'd been a plumber working on the pool. The third time Ms Gates had them tear down what they'd built, he said that he quit in frustration at the waste.

When the local government came around to access the value of that home, it was a bit hard to find comparable homes. So they simply took as its value what had been spent to build it--over $60 million. Gates Jr, for whom the difference in taxes between that and what he wanted to pay, about $50 million, was a pittance, claimed that all that rebuilding shouldn't be charged against him.

Like I said, the attitude among the Gates, at Apple, and with Bono often seems to be "Tax the rich but not me." They want high nominal taxes because it looks good, but they're also happy to support those politicians who create those loopholes.

• Reply 77 of 85

so many whiners!!

If apple had asked every iTunes customer on earth what band they wanted- Then accommodated each and every one -  there would still be the same bunch of whiners here on AI finding fault in it.

• Reply 78 of 85

How? I can't left flick on my iphone to get rid of the crap. I am going to the Apple store tomorrow and if they can't delete the songs I am going to go to Verizon and get a Samsung phone. Verizon notified me last Thursday that I was eligible fro early upgrade so tomorrow U2 will be gone.

• Reply 79 of 85

No, I can't just swipe, that's why I'm here!

• Reply 80 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

so many whiners!!

If apple had asked every iTunes customer on earth what band they wanted- Then accommodated each and every one -  there would still be the same bunch of whiners here on AI finding fault in it.

That's not true. They would have implemented that with an iTunes credit for every iTunes customer. Maybe limit it to anyone who has made a purchase in the last three months at the time of the announcement. I can't imagine anyone would complain about that one.

I can't think of any artist making albums for 30 years who could come out with a relevant album right now. There's just not enough Ray Charles and Johnny Cash left in the business. Maybe I'm missing someone, but it's not U2.