Apple Pay nets favorable transaction fees from banks, denied support from Walmart and Best Buy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Notice that PayPal and Amazon are doing just fine without each other.

It was Tim Cook that came on stage and boldly said Apple wants to replace wallets. Notice neither PayPal nor Amazon have ever said that. For Apple to be able to replace wallets, they need universal acceptance, hence my comment that without Amazon this would be close to impossible. 

• Reply 62 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acgmph View Post

For Apple to be able to replace wallets, they need universal acceptance, hence my comment that without Amazon this would be close to impossible. 

This won’t be possible even if Amazon would join. No country in the world would let the electronic payment system depend on one private player. That'd be sheer folly.

• Reply 63 of 201
    Walmart is infamous for strong arming suppliers and partners. They're Apple's equal when it comes to dictating terms of their suppliers and partners. It'll just be a matter of who caves first. They both have a lot to gain, so I suspect it'll happen soon.

But Best Buy? They have no clout and they're struggling to compete with online retailers. They need to agree to these types of mass adoption standards (if and when it becomes so).
  • Reply 64 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

This won’t be possible even if Amazon would join. No country in the world would let the electronic payment system depend on one private player. That'd be sheer folly.

You're underestimating the United States :)

• Reply 65 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tezgno View Post

Yes, a connection would be required to generate a valid token on the network as well as to ensure that your device is still authorized to use the cards (I.e. Lost Phone in Find my Phone hasn't been invoked).

That (a cell phone connection) seems inconvenient or impossible in some areas due to physical geography or if you are not roaming to a foreign network (if you are visiting some place).

Wouldn't an iBeacon at the POS be able to be used for the necessary network connection?

• Reply 66 of 201
    formosa wrote: »
    That (a cell phone connection) seems inconvenient or impossible in some areas due to physical geography or if you are not roaming to a foreign network (if you are visiting some place).

Wouldn't an iBeacon at the POS be able to be used for the necessary network connection?

I'm not 100 percent sure but I doubt an iBeacon would work, but that isn't to say that it isn't impossible. To be fair, though, requiring a data connection is valid for all mobile NFC payment services. One thing to note though is that Apple could, in theory, make a completely offline version since they are using device cards. It would be a much slower rollout to that point, however.

One thing that wasn't mentioned, and I would like to know the answer, is whether Apple Pay would work internationally. Today, with Google Wallet, for example, the virtual cards that you are assigned do not work outside of the US, at least from my experience. If their system works outside of the US, that would be a huge improvement.
  • Reply 67 of 201
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member

Apple should never partner with a ghetto store like Walmart. I stopped going there after getting tired of seeing so much human trash that don't do a good job. 

• Reply 68 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    indymac wrote: »
    I don't even know what this comment is about other than you seem to be infering a lot of things that are clearly projections of your own beliefs in your uh...."misguided comment".

I totally agree with mesomorphicman, your original post was < intelligent. As I have previously stated in response to similar infantile posts, I live in a very affluent area of central west Florida and often pop in to our Super Walmart. The parking lot is full of every type of car, from Mercs, BMWs, Lexus to Fords and pick up trucks. I get my OTC meds there as they are a fraction of the cost of Walgreens. You are projecting not him! I really wish these sort of socio-eleitst posts from you and Apple ][ would cease, it really lowers the tone of AI. In your defense perhaps you live in a poor area with a not so nice Walmart.
  • Reply 69 of 201
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    tezgno wrote: »
    Yes, a connection would be required to generate a valid token on the network as well as to ensure that your device is still authorized to use the cards (I.e. Lost Phone in Find my Phone hasn't been invoked).

Disagree. A token can be generated without internet connectivity. Disconnected tokens have been doing this for years (secureid, etc...).

Authorizing the device is the job of the bank. When you make a purchase, the device specific account number is transmitted to the merchant and subsequently to the bank. If the device is unauthorized, the bank simply declined the transaction.

Nothing in this chain of events requires the device phone home.
  • Reply 70 of 201
    solipsismx wrote: »
    At that point you can then ditch the physical card altogether.

What I'd like to see is the ability for the merchant's NFC system to state what kind of merchant it is and/or designate via my iPhone/?Watch which payment should be used based on various criteria. I have several card that I use in different places due to different rewards.

Rewards Curation ... great idea.

I wonder where Amazon will fit in to this. My daily Amazon fix requires that they will support ?Pay or I will be in trouble. :\
  • Reply 71 of 201
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    eauvive wrote: »

The beauty of Apple Pay is that other systems (eg. Google Wallet) can exist and function right along side it, even using the same NFC receivers.
  • Reply 72 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acgmph View Post

You're underestimating the United States :)

Granted.

Tot ziens ;)

• Reply 73 of 201
    BestBuy is the new Radio Shack and on its way out soon too. I have tried to shop there and found the staff to be rude, unknowledgeable and immature. I won't shop there even if they did accept %uF8FFPay.

As for Walmart, I hate to go into their sloppy messy stores and be shoved and pushed by classless customers that it attracts. I have gone into Walmart stores in the US, Mexico and Canada. I regretted it every time. %uF8FFPay or not, I won't be back.
  • Reply 74 of 201
    csmarker70 wrote: »
    Attention Walmart and Best Buy: First off, I will never shop at Walmart (Target ROCKS! and treats their employees with respect!)... As for Best Buy, you're just a show room. I'll go elsewhere online such as Amazon....

My guess is Best Buy is a moot discussion, I mean how much longer can they last? It is just a showroom now, as you say, it's where to go to see and touch before ordering on Amazon Prime! Although these days most shelves are empty.

Personally I never really liked Best Buy, too many sneaky sales tactics. I've seen MBPs on the floor stands for sale and only a knowledgeable person would spot they were not the latest models, Canon camera bundles that were the same price as Amazon except the lenses swapped out for a far less capable lens and so on. They always sold by relying on an uneducated buyer whereas Amazon go out of their way to educate, even going as far as to pop up a warning to inform you, when selecting an item, that there is a newer model available and a link. Don't even get me started on how much easier it is to return something to Amazon! Ok I started, myself ... I just decided against a new color laser printer I had delivered. When I clicked the return button on Amazon it popped up a window saying that it noticed this was a very heavy item and, if I wished, for only $8 they would arrange for UPS to collect at my front door with all the labels ready. I was really impressed with that! My refund was posted ten minutes after UPS collected the box. Now let me see ... how would all of that played out at Best Buy ....
  • Reply 75 of 201
    iaeen wrote: »
    Disagree. A token can be generated without internet connectivity. Disconnected tokens have been doing this for years (secureid, etc...).

Authorizing the device is the job of the bank. When you make a purchase, the device specific account number is transmitted to the merchant and subsequently to the bank. If the device is unauthorized, the bank simply declined the transaction.

Nothing in this chain of events requires the device phone home.

In rereading what I stated, I actually stated that wrong. No, a connection isn't required to generate a token as it is stored on the secure element already (when you added the card). What would require the connection is when you go to get the devices authorization to use the token (meaning that lost phone hasn't been invoked). Apple hasn't specified whether their implementation interacts with the banks to cancel the token if lost but, if it works anything like Softcard (which also uses a similar process, Google Wallet is different here), then it would likely cancel on the bank side (which is what I would hope as that is what happens on the Softcard process).

If it did that, then it would not need any connection at all to work. If it doesn't, then an auth would be needed.

One thing that I did think of is that their process, unlike Google Wallet, means that when I use Apple Pay, I would get full benefits of my account, including no foreign transaction fees (if it works internationally). With Google Wallet, if it did work internationally (mine doesn't seem to), I would pay fees as the real card that is given to the merchant belongs to Google and would likely have fees that would then be passed on to me.
  • Reply 76 of 201
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    You sound like some elitist snob. Wal-mart sells the iPhone and other Apple products, so clearly not everyone who shops there are poor, on welfare, or beneath you as you suggest. This is why some do not like Apple supporters, some come across as pompous. Is Best Buy for the poor also, or just conveniently left them out to make a misguided comment?

Elitist? For not wanting to associate with upstanding citizens like these? :D

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
  • Reply 77 of 201
    Mastercard: "respect our role in the ecosystem" - is fracking hilarious. The greedy bastards are pissed off that Apple went the VisaNet for worldwide access, adopting VISA protocols, essentially endorsing that as the best network solution.

Crappola copout.
  • Reply 78 of 201
    If you don't use TouchID for 24 hours (or is it 48) or reboot, TouchID is deactivated unti you logon using your password/pin.

I'm not understanding what your comment is referring to.

tezgno wrote: »

Can you show me where the device has to be online to use ?Pay?
  • Reply 79 of 201

I suspect Walmart's current lack of participation has more to do with the cost and timeframe for implementation than it does with anything else.  It's not like they're going to go belly-up if they don't get on board.  Best Buy might have to worry about that, but not Walmart.  People shop at Walmart for the low prices, not because they have a nifty checkout system.

• Reply 80 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Whats the over under on how long before Walmart, Best Buy, and other's eat their words and are forced to accept Apple Pay?

I give it less than 12 months.

It'll be right after the first big holiday shopping season after Apple Pay really rolls out and is being actively used. 12 months possible, maybe after the end of next year, something like that. 

I enjoyed watching DoCoMo in Japan refuse to carry the iPhone for years because Apple wouldn't let them fill the thing with their 'value added' service stuff, the stuff they said nobody on DoCoMo in Japan could possibly live without. They folded, and people are very happily living without crapware loaded on their phones, Walmart and Best Buy will too. 

What I'd like to see is more international rollout of Apple Pay, there's a lot of devices sold overseas and they are going to be missing out the revenue stream from this feature until they 'think outside the US'