Apple Watch: First impressions from an afternoon with Cupertino's new wearable

Comments

• Reply 241 of 300
    asdasd wrote: »

You don't really need a watch. Otherwise, ask your husband to get you a traditional one as a present.

I suppose she could also buy her own?

I guess, but probably unnecessary.
  • Reply 242 of 300
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    eauvive wrote: »

I’m sure there will be a ?Watch retina. (Or not…) Yep, you’re right. That does not explain why for the German the Sun was female and the Moon male, though.

I am much too modest to get involved in a work that would put me under the limelight. I work behind the scenes, and am happy about it. “I’m a Vulcan, I have no ego to bruise.” :)

Only Germans can or should explain that one. Complex mythography is no stranger to them. Thor and Wotan are both tue-mouche figures, for example, as well as maybe your Vulcan buddy Weyland the Smith.

As for being any sort of public figure, I feel the same way. It was just a thought.
  • Reply 243 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

As for being any sort of public figure, I feel the same way. It was just a thought.

You have an obsession for flies?

BTW, I was thinking about a round ?Watch. A round ?Watch would have to include a round LCD screen. But how the hell address pixels on a round LCD in a consistent way? Answer: using polar coordinates (?, ?) instead of (x, y). That would be fun: windows would be circles. Text display would be a headache, though. Nothing's perfect.

• Reply 244 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Quote:

BTW, I was thinking about a round ?Watch. A round ?Watch would have to include a round LCD screen. But how the hell address pixels on a round LCD in a consistent way? Answer: using polar coordinates (?, ?) instead of (x, y). That would be fun: windows would be circles. Text display would be a headache, though. Nothing's perfect.

Jonanthan Ive surely considered a round design; why else would he have designed all those round icons on the home screen? I wonder how far along the design process it got jettisoned.

• Reply 245 of 300
    eauvive wrote: »

No obsession for fliegen, maybe for the fliegenpilz. This key to Eurasian shamanism also turns out to be a key to Indo-European patriarchy. References available on request.

The round window is a brilliant thing to look forward to.
  • Reply 246 of 300

I really don't think we have seen ALL of Apples wearables.  Apple has said we have only seen like 1/2 of the features. But, what if other features correspond to another device(s) or the other important things this watch can really do.  I understand getting the watch out there like 4+ months early possibly to avoid any possible hardware leaks, but there could be other reasons as well. It makes the competition think that this is Apple complete offering/focus in this segment. So competitors then spend time trying to copy and mimic these features. They have 4+ months in this regard to do just that. It also gets wall street off Apples back for 4+ months while we wait until the Watch is released to the public. 

But am I the only one who finds it strange that there was no real mention of Healthkit. Let alone Homekit? Lets not forget that Apple has assembled a serious team of Health experts in devices, etc. There also in nothing really heath sensor oriented in this watch, which would have required any of those experts. Unless of course, there is a crap load of health sensors in the device that Apple has yet to reveal. I have a feeling that there is a whole lot more to see and that will come in another keynote related to health. Now, if there are any parts leaks, everyone would attribute them to just being parts and functionality of the watch shown. I wonder if Apple has a nice surprise up its sleeve.   

• Reply 247 of 300
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

No obsession for fliegen, maybe for the fliegenpilz. This key to Eurasian shamanism also turns out to be a key to Indo-European patriarchy. References available on request.

You and your patriarchy. Dear oh dear.

I like round windows, too. Hobbit-like.

• Reply 248 of 300
    You and your patriarchy. Dear oh dear.

I like round windows, too. Hobbit-like.

No, it's ok, I'm over it. But I worry about those still trapped. At least you guys can get to Glastonbury once in a while to take the cure.
  • Reply 249 of 300

The more and more I look, the more and more I like. I'm hooked, Apple did its magic again. While I know I've buying one on launch day, the only question I'm asking is why the hell didn't I buy AAPL stock. This damn thing is cool. Eat shit, Samsung.

• Reply 250 of 300
    Quote:

Dumézil?

Quote:

It won't be call a 'window' anymore. That'll be a 'scuttle'. :)

• Reply 251 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

I really don't think we have seen ALL of Apples wearables.  Apple has said we have only seen like 1/2 of the features. But, what if other features correspond to another device(s) or the other important things this watch can really do.  I understand getting the watch out there like 4+ months early possibly to avoid any possible hardware leaks, but there could be other reasons as well. It makes the competition think that this is Apple complete offering/focus in this segment. So competitors then spend time trying to copy and mimic these features. They have 4+ months in this regard to do just that. It also gets wall street off Apples back for 4+ months while we wait until the Watch is released to the public. 

But am I the only one who finds it strange that there was no real mention of Healthkit. Let alone Homekit? Lets not forget that Apple has assembled a serious team of Health experts in devices, etc. There also in nothing really heath sensor oriented in this watch, which would have required any of those experts. Unless of course, there is a crap load of health sensors in the device that Apple has yet to reveal. I have a feeling that there is a whole lot more to see and that will come in another keynote related to health. Now, if there are any parts leaks, everyone would attribute them to just being parts and functionality of the watch shown. I wonder if Apple has a nice surprise up its sleeve.   

I agree. There is a LOTTA stuff in that pipeline. While I did speculate they would offer an early release preview, and that seems to be what they've done, they've done just enough to make mouths water, gauge feedback, make adjustments that will percolate for years. 

I dug this from The Loop:

Here are some comments on the announcement of Apple’s “newest” digital device:

“I was so hoping for something more.”

“Great just what the world needs.”

“Heres an idea Apple – rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive line up? Or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

“I still can’t believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares? I want something new! I want them to think differently!”

“Why oh why would they do this?! It’s so wrong! It’s so stupid!”

“Come on everyone, y’all are saying it sucks before you have even held it in your hand.”

“The reason why everyone’s dissapointed is because we had our hopes up for this incredible device.”

Pretty typical commentary.

Except, all of the above is taken from the forums at Macrumors and all of the above, and more, are referring to the launch of the original iPod.

Some things never change.

• Reply 252 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

“Heres an idea Apple – rather than enter the world of gimmicks and toys, why dont you spend a little more time sorting out your pathetically expensive line up? Or are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?”

“I still can’t believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares? I want something new! I want them to think differently!”

“Come on everyone, y’all are saying it sucks before you have even held it in your hand.”

“The reason why everyone’s dissapointed is because we had our hopes up for this incredible device.”

Except, all of the above is taken from the forums at Macrumors and all of the above, and more, are referring to the launch of the original iPod.

I was really hoping that AI or Macrumors would have posted this link from loopinsight, where you found this. It was so great to read and the original has a link to macrumors forum page, where all of these quotes were taken from.   Similar things were said with the iPad as well. 

I think its in people nature to discount things based on what they see online without reserving judgement until the devices are in stores and one can see, touch and feel them live. 

• Reply 253 of 300
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,226member
    eightzero wrote: »
    I agree. There is a LOTTA stuff in that pipeline. While I did speculate they would offer an early release preview, and that seems to be what they've done, they've done just enough to make mouths water, gauge feedback, make adjustments that will percolate for years. 

I dug this from The Loop:

A lot of changes over the years. . .
  • Reply 254 of 300
    The amount of fabrication in this article is astounding
  • Reply 255 of 300
    imt1 wrote: »
    I was really hoping that AI or Macrumors would have posted this link from loopinsight, where you found this. It was so great to read and the original has a link to macrumors forum page, where all of these quotes were taken from.   Similar things were said with the iPad as well. 

I think its in people nature to discount things based on what they see online without reserving judgement until the devices are in stores and one can see, touch and feel them live. 

What's most amazing to me is that so many individuals really do believe they know more that than a collective team of engineers and designers, specifically tasked to a project for 3 years(!!!).

When just ONE of those engineers probably has an IQ double that of the person ranting, plus advanced schooling, degrees, field specialties, PATENTS to their name... etc. Then add that all up within a TEAM! Any "normal" person would be humbled and careful with their sarcasm and feeble-minded words of dissappointment because it didn't meet ALL of their wants and wishes.

I'm even more stunned when some of those doing the ranting, that are half-intelligent and somewhat knowledgeable... go off on blind trails to nowhere and can't see one step into the future, when the roadwork from so many successful devices has been laid and is history at this point.

Although... even if I'm stunned by the individual lack of vision... I'm downright mortified by all of the other big businesses*** that can't seem to figure out the secret sauce to Apple's success. They just keep on making their soggy wet and stale pie devices... only to fall face flat in them after an Apple announcement. They're all perverted deviants and Masochists I tell you! There's no other way to explain it... :smokey:

*** Add analysts, media reporters, bloggers... the list goes on and on.

Last... but never least... I blame this collective lack of vision, discipline to get things right, and giving people continuous reason to be skeptical about tech in general... on Microsoft and in close second place Google.
  • Reply 256 of 300

I do so enjoy looking at peoples' mockups, renders and concepts. They require exactly no engineering. All they represent is jewelry.

But, I did call Tim coming out in long sleeves. After the first Apple Watch video, he rolled them up and showed off his on his wrist. Pretty cool. In hindsight, I did notice he was controlling his show/presentation with some sort of hand held clicker. Woulda been a nice touch (!) to transition to doing that from his Apple Watch in the second half of the keynote.

But I was exactly wrong about the "one more thing" moniker. Didn't think he'd do it. It was tasteful though. No ridiculous looking up at Steve, or other reference to him. Tim was very (and rightfully) excited.

Ya know, this is going to take the cake for stupidest comment ever on AI, but I somehow really like Tim's style. I'm very hetero, but that guy is kinda hot. Where the hell are the charismatic...and hot...female executives?

• Reply 257 of 300
    amoradala wrote: »
    We wish we could tell you more.
    Those mysterious lenses on the back will do alot more than monitor heartrate you can bet.
    Much of its real functionality has been left unsaid, ( why give copiest companies the heads up on what's to come)

What do you believe the "mysterious lenses" will do?
  • Reply 258 of 300
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    What do you believe the "mysterious lenses" will do?

Mind control lasers. Since it's against your skin tin foil can't help you unlike the hi opted or orbital versions.
  • Reply 259 of 300
    For all the haters who are not satisfied by the look of Apple Watch, here is a review from a premium watch critic: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review
  • Reply 260 of 300
    I love it, but I don't get the digital crown and button. They will eventually replace these two old-school ideas with touchscreen strips on the sides of the watch.

Besides, I'm left-handed and I wear my watch on my right arm and now will have to reach across the screen in order to reach the digital crown and button.