Overnight preorders of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus set new record for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Just imagine what sales could have been -- had the store been up at 12:01 AM PST!
  • Reply 22 of 54

x

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

So...next time can we get a noon launch instead of a midnight launch? We know the volume means it's going to be rocky for the first few hours. Why not have those first few hours be within normal business hours?

You snooze, you lose.

• Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

No way.  They have to launch officially.  How else will they get on the news if they don't have people lined up around the block overnight?

I know you were saying this in a snarky way in regards to getting coverage on the news, but personally I prefer for them to have a large launch than a slow trickle of devices over a few months.  It is very frustrating to want to buy a new piece of tech and then be turned away day after day because they only got a couple of devices in their daily shipment.  This way at least gives most people a fighting chance to get a device on launch day.

I'm sure that getting on the news is one of the goals of doing it this way, but I also think it's better for the consumer as well. And that probably is just as big of deal for Apple as getting on the news with the launch day coverage.

• Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

They've made fun of Apple's good sales before. Remember that ad poking fun at how many people were waiting in line for the new iPhone?

I see them doing something stupid like showing delivery drivers having a hard time

handling all the orders and Apple fans waiting for their package.

"Apple is shipping in record numbers, you're package will arrive In 6 weeks. Why wait when the next big thing is already here..."

Good point.  

• Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

So...next time can we get a noon launch instead of a midnight launch? We know the volume means it's going to be rocky for the first few hours. Why not have those first few hours be within normal business hours?

Midnight in one part of the world is noon in another -- since it launched simultaneously across the world, someone is going to have to put up with a 3 AM launch while someone else gets to order it over their lunch break.

• Reply 26 of 54

Samsung customers who are used to walking into a store with no lines and and pick up phones on launch days ... ;-p

• Reply 27 of 54

I am looking forward to having an iPhone I can actually see well!!!!

The best I could do last night was to order a Space grey iPhone 6 Plus 128gb for delivery on 10/14/2014....

I had to order through Verizon as the connection from the Apple Store to Verizon was constantly down.

I suspect that Apple did not have enough of a supply of the Plus models ready to meet initial demand...

It does look like they have a good supply of the iPhone 6 though...

• Reply 28 of 54
    Apple watch is and will be huge... I will bet on it. Its the beginning of a platform, even if the first iteration isnt perfect on battery life. Chips and displays keep getting more efficient...
  • Reply 29 of 54

Fun fun fun!!!

• Reply 30 of 54
    Just imagine what sales could have been -- had the store been up at 12:01 AM PST!
    Exactly! So many people were giving up because it was getting too hard to get anything preordered or get the actual device that you wanted. I guess you take the good with the bad. It breaks records like every year.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Exactly! So many people were giving up because it was getting too hard to get anything preordered or get the actual device that you wanted. I guess you take the good with the bad. It breaks records like every year.

I was having the same problem until I read in AI about people getting in with the Apple Store app on their iPhones.  So I tried it, and got in about 35-40 minutes after H-Hour and got the phone I wanted -- 6 plus, 128GB, Gold, AT&T with a 9/19 delivery day according to Apple.   Took about 8 -12 minutes to actually get through the process.  I was not tracking time to the minute.   Then I spent another 10 minutes and got the wife's phone, a straight 6, silver, 64GB, AT&T the same way.  Was done 64 minutes after H-Hour.  Both with 9/19 delivery.   The whole time I was checking the Apple Store website and it was always the same, closed for update.

Since I am an iOS developer by trade,  I will be picking up a straight 6 soon (no cell service) as well so that I can test on both devices.  May try to walk in to an AT&T store since they have a trade in program and the 4 qualifies...  Since I have a 4S to test smaller screens with, I can trade the 4 in if it is worth it (and reading their website, it may be).

• Reply 32 of 54
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

x

You snooze, you lose.

The Park service used to do this for campground reservations in Yosemite National Park: I sort of liked it because it lessened the competition a bit. Now they've moved to 7 A.M. Pacific which while making a nicely civilized 10 AM start for me (East Coast) it also means the availability drops to zero in a couple of minutes... and I don't even try for the popular Yosemite Valley campgrounds that reportedly are gone in seconds. 

• Reply 33 of 54

Double

• Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Damage them Apple. Show those iPhoneys who's king.

Although I would have loved a 4" 6c I'm happy for Apple.

These phones are too big for my taste might just get a 5s but I love photography So Im torn between the two.

The 5s still takes great photos. I have been very happy with mine.  That being said, I am not a photographer by trade so your needs might be more advanced than mine...

• Reply 35 of 54

Snagged gunmetal 64 GB iP6... Big enough for me.

• Reply 36 of 54
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

The 5s still takes great photos. I have been very happy with mine.  That being said, I am not a photographer by trade so your needs might be more advanced than mine...

I've liked my 5s as well. With HDR enabled the available light grab street shots I can get while walking around someplace like NYC are terrific. It's a nice complement to my actual camera, a Nikon D800.

And on my phone, sent over social media just casually viewed? Both sets of images are comparable. I can't infinitely zoom into the 5s ones like I can the 32 megapixel RAW ones from the Nikon: but that's not the issue for most usage. And the storage needs are quite a bit less: one trip this summer I wound up with 62 GB of images.... rather overkill for posting on Facebook.

As far as software versus optical image stabilization goes I bet the faster camera is the sharper shooter (camera movement is a tough challenge, waiting for a loooong exposure blurs anything). So if the 6 is faster than the 5s (and I can't recall) it might offer an inherent image quality advantage.

As to size, for a portable device my litmus is portability so I'm going to have to perform a pocket test to see which size I'll choose: I've got until march when my contract opens up in any case so plenty of time.

• Reply 37 of 54
    blazar wrote: »
    Apple watch is and will be huge... I will bet on it. Its the beginning of a platform, even if the first iteration isnt perfect on battery life. Chips and displays keep getting more efficient...

Actually, from the looks of things, it's not the chips or displays holding back this class of technology, it's battery life. There needs to be some significant (and fast) breakthroughs in this area for the technology to advance!
  • Reply 38 of 54
    I woke up at 2:58am this morning to use the Apple Store app to preorder mine. The app was malfunctioning like the regular store until I got through around 3:20am. Although I received a few errors when trying to connect to AT&T, it eventually went through. I chose the pick-up at store option for the local Providence store...I got an email saying that it will be available for pickup 9/19 and that they would email me when my merchandise was ready. Still haven't been charged and hope that I am actually able to get one on launch day with this receipt...hopefully it's not "we'll email you in 4 weeks when we have phones in stock." Anyone else use this approach?
  • Reply 39 of 54
    It's the end of Apple, I hates the back and those lines. Oop... that was last week.

Everyone else ordered their 6 Plus yet?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    elehcdn wrote: »
    Samsung customers who are used to walking into a store with no lines and and pick up phones on launch days ... ;-p

And they'll call everyone waiting in line "iSheep" lol!!