Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Comments

• Reply 201 of 267
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonne View Post

Can anyone explain to me how the ?Watch is used as a fitness tracker? It does not have GPS connection, so as I understand you need to carry your iPhone alongside in your pocket. In that case I would not need the ?Watch. Am I right?

Correct, just strap the iPhone to your forearm. Transparent packing tape would do the trick I imagine.

• Reply 202 of 267
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unless there is a GPS antenna watch band that we haven't seen yet. ????

How do the little gps wrist trackers handle the antenna thing? My Garmin handheld 60csx has an antenna housing larger than most wrist devices... Granted that device and it's descendants can grab a location under trees, within canyons and even at my dining room table...

• Reply 203 of 267
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    jonne wrote: »

Can anyone explain to me how the ?Watch is used as a fitness tracker? It does not have GPS connection, so as I understand you need to carry your iPhone alongside in your pocket. In that case I would not need the ?Watch. Am I right?
    Correct, just strap the iPhone to your forearm. Transparent packing tape would do the trick I imagine.

Or use this $20 accessory:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8W105/

[VIDEO]

Or one designed more for the wrist at $12.95:

http://www.phubby.com/wrist-cubby.html

It's like an iWatch+ (i.e an iWatch plus all the extra functionality you need to have with you anyway).

The Garmin Forerunner 220 looks like a fairly slim GPS watch:

[VIDEO]

Most are fairly bulky. What's needed is an innovative company that can engineer a small GPS antenna. If only there was a company renowned for innovation around somewhere.

This is where crowd-sourced location data would help. If it could locate nearby iPhones or cell towers and just get their location anonymously, it could triangulate that data and then use the other sensor data to supplement it. Apple could sell Macs and routers with GPS chips. If you get within wifi range, it knows where it is and where you are from it.
  • Reply 204 of 267
    Perhaps Apple could design a double interface. One in full color and one in black and white like the Jawbone that does not take so much battery life, but can indeed count my steps and track my route.
  • Reply 205 of 267
    BTW thanks to all responding... Great ideas here.... Grtz fm Amsterdam
  • Reply 206 of 267
    Originally Posted by Jonne View Post

…one in black and white… …that does not take so much battery life…

Wait, that’s not how…

• Reply 207 of 267

;)

Quote:

haters make your wealthy ,but since you know what i was like the first time around with ipad (me) just getting on the playing field was hell from the old boardroom to the public they just didn't get it .and it went SuperNova didn't it . NO one dreamed it could make such money , The Master himself taught me how to be better at what i was Great at . He new timing down to the second ,Unfortunately facebook telling lies to me as an experiment and Google hating me so much i only found out now in the last week .and the proof knocked the wind out of my soul......love and who you love is really tricky. When it's with a rival of apples and they used and stole from me....amoral ,,,,,unethical....sincerely Just me

• Reply 208 of 267
    Why schleppong two devices to track my steps? A watch without GPS does not make sense to me
  • Reply 209 of 267
    eauvive wrote: »
    Cool. That’s great to hear about Americans who settle in Europe. We get so much stories pattering that ‘the US are so cool just every European with a minimum of balls should move over there’. It’s becoming cloying.

I fell in love with living in a multi-culti and diverse melting-pot... or at least having the opportunity to visit within an hours drive... after deciding to go to LA to study, after growing up in a very homogenous society in Minnesota. Living and working in Europe had been a goal of mine from a young age after discovering "real" football. It just happened to become a reality sooner than I expected.
    You should have stopped in France though! :)

Wwithin 2 weeks of landing in Germany I made the trip with my GF to Paris by train.... loved it! Since then I've been to Paris more than a few times 9Apple Expos were great in the day!) and traveled through and throughout France more than I count. Although of late, mostly "stopping" for a pee and coffee on our way to Spain, just north of Barcelona :)

(Didn't the Germans have a saying which goes like: “Leben wie Gott in Frankreich”?)

...und wie!!!
    Common sense should be enough. But being used to it from infancy on helps withstanding it with a kind of English aloofness. “The drool of the toad does not stain the white dove”.

Benjamin Frost knows more about toads than I do... ask him :)
  • Reply 210 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I fell in love with living in a multi-culti and diverse melting-pot... or at least having the opportunity to visit within an hours drive... after deciding to go to LA to study, after growing up in a very homogenous society in Minnesota. Living and working in Europe had been a goal of mine from a young age after discovering "real" football. It just happened to become a reality sooner than I expected.

There are beyond doubt many advantages to live in the US, but multiculti is hardly one. Unless you’re really near the Mexican border.

So you were coaxed by soccer… why not? :)

Quote:

"stopping" for a pee and coffee on our way to Spain, just north of Barcelona image

If I lived in Germany, I wouldn’t go to Catalonia during Summer. That’s just Germany bis. 

• Reply 211 of 267
    Cool. That’s great to hear about Americans who settle in Europe. We get so much stories pattering that ‘the US are so cool just every European with a minimum of balls should move over there’. It’s becoming cloying.

You should have stopped in France though! :)

Wwithin 2 weeks of landing in Germany I made the trip with my GF to Paris by train.... loved it! Since then I've been to Paris more than a few times 9Apple Expos were great in the day!) and traveled through and throughout France more than I count. Although of late, mostly "stopping" for a pee and coffee on our way to Spain, just north of Barcelona :)

(Didn't the Germans have a saying which goes like: “Leben wie Gott in Frankreich”?)

...und wie!!!
    Common sense should be enough. But being used to it from infancy on helps withstanding it with a kind of English aloofness. “The drool of the toad does not stain the white dove”.

Benjamin Frost knows more about toads than I do... ask him :)

My main area of expertise around toads concerns ones in holes.

If you haven't eaten toad in the hole, you haven't lived, particularly if it's made by your grandmother.
  • Reply 212 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you haven't eaten toad in the hole, you haven't lived, particularly if it's made by your grandmother.

Does it somehow relate to haggis and offals?

• Reply 213 of 267

Does it somehow relate to haggis and offals?

No. Yorkshire.
  • Reply 214 of 267
    Quote:

No. Yorkshire.

Oh, living mops? :D

• Reply 215 of 267
    No. Yorkshire.

Oh, living mops? :D

No! Toad refers to sausages and the hole refers to Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire pudding isn't sweet, but is made from a kind of batter. It's a simple but tasty dish, served with gravy.
  • Reply 216 of 267
    Quote:

Yorkshire pudding isn't sweet, but is made from a kind of batter. It's a simple but tasty dish, served with gravy.

Uh. British gastronomy is way over my head. :)

• Reply 217 of 267

Isn't Yorkshire pudding very much like pancake batter in other parts of Europe? Not the kind in the US (!), but more like that used in the Netherlands (Pannekoeken) and also in Germany (Pfannenkuchen)?

I absolutely LOVE Pfannenkuchen here in Germany with minced ham ("speck"), sausages, with spinach or mixed vegetables, a bit of cheese... and sometimes even a light mushroom gravy.

Basically, anything can be done here with Pfannenkuchen, that in America they do with omelettes.

NOTE: a number of recipes I found for Dutch Pannekoeken looks very similar to Yorkshire pudding.

++++ I'm starving and drooling all over my Wacom!!!!!!++++
  • Reply 218 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Isn't Yorkshire pudding very much like pancake batter in other parts of Europe? Not the kind in the US (!), but more like that used in the Netherlands (Pannekoeken) and also in Germany (Pfannenkuchen)?

I absolutely LOVE Pfannenkuchen here in Germany with minced ham ("speck"), sausages, with spinach or mixed vegetables, a bit of cheese... and sometimes even a light mushroom gravy.

Basically, anything can be done here with Pfannenkuchen, that in America they do with omelettes.

NOTE: a number of recipes I found for Dutch Pannekoeken looks very similar to Yorkshire pudding.

Now you're getting me drooling! 

Yorkshire pudding isn't like Dutch pancakes. It's a combination of a soft, dense base with a fluffy topping that rises and turns crispy in the oven.

I suspect I would like German cuisine, as you seem to like your sausages, or whatever you call them - frankfurters, I guess. 

• Reply 219 of 267

Now you're getting me drooling! 

Yorkshire pudding isn't like Dutch pancakes. It's a combination of a soft, dense base with a fluffy topping that rises and turns crispy in the oven.

I suspect I would like German cuisine, as you seem to like your sausages, or whatever you call them - frankfurters, I guess. 

Since you guys are delving into the high-tech depths of communication and fitness -- let me offer a couple of my favorites:

Raclettes ...

Raclette or Gruyere cheese, metlted and served with new potatoes, condiments, veggies, prosciutto, etc.

And Poutine ...

Curd cheese (Squeaky cheese) mixed with special gravy -- and spread liberally over crisp french fries:

• Reply 220 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Since you guys are delving into the high-tech depths of communication and fitness -- let me offer a couple of my favorites:

Raclettes ...

Raclette or Gruyere cheese, metlted and served with new potatoes, condiments, veggies, prosciutto, etc.

And Poutine ...

Curd cheese (Squeaky cheese) mixed with special gravy -- and spread liberally over crisp french fries:

You should mention that raclette is Swiss and poutine is Quebecois. You seem to appreciate French speaking cooking!