iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm just afraid a 5.5" iPhone will hurt iPad sales. 

I doubt that. But even if true, then that's great news! The margins on the 5.5" are greater than for an iPad Mini I'm pretty sure.

The 5.5" is pretty large for a phone, but it's still small compared to a tablet.

• Reply 62 of 222
    gatorguy wrote: »

I don't see that as a good solution and was very happy Apple didn't use it even though I had no idea of what a better solution could be. Apple's solution doesn't shrink anything, which defeats the purpose of a larger display, it moves down for a total of one tap. Now the double rap of the Touch ID sensor to activate it seems suspect but this is an area Apple tends to excel so I'll try it out before coming to a conclusion on whether it's natural or not.
  • Reply 63 of 222
    Verizon is telling me 9/19 still for the iPhone 6. When I went to order at 7am Friday, the iPhone 6 Plus was a 3-4 week ship time. Fingers crossed it doesn't change! I wonder if anyone will look at the extended wait time for the iPhone 6 Plus and just based on that get the 4.7 iPhone 6.
  • Reply 64 of 222
    paxman wrote: »
    :). That's a random question?

The way it looks to me, you made one mistake, the other was a 'planned mistake', but you screwed up royally with the genuine mistake. Very funny. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but I am pretty sure you can switch them at the point of activation. Hopefully you ordered them from Apple. They are invariably so much better to deal with than the carriers.

Once you get the phones... You could unlock them and then switch the SIMS.
  • Reply 65 of 222
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I thought it was once a week until supply caught up with demand.

I would expect all stores to have a very large inventory for launch day just like they have in the past. Not all of the preproduction is allocated for early sales. Some of that production will be used to stock stores for launch day. However in the past the Apple stores got a big percentage of that inventory.

As for the stores, in the past they had daily shipments coming in. In fact some stores got multiple shipments on a single day.
  • Reply 66 of 222
    Interesting. Please demonstrate that gesture while holding the phone in one hand.
  • Reply 67 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That's not reassuring that it hasn't been implemented more widely. Apple has the Reachability function on all their current phones.

I suggest you find an Android Q&A forum for a better chance at having your Android inquiries answered.

There are many Android enthusiasts and I'm confident in saying that some of them would be happy to provide detailed information on the capabilities of various Android devices. However, AppleInsider is not considered a community for those people.

There are a lot of Apple haters in this forum, but they provide little useful information, mostly just bile.

• Reply 68 of 222
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member

Rather than taking pot shots at either one-hand implementation I'd like to present a challenge.

The use case scenario where one handed operation really comes into play for me is when I need to reach an address bar or text entry box at the top of a window or form that is out of thumb reach in one handed full-screen mode. Show us how the Android and Apple one-handed implementations handle this scenario. I suspect that Apple's implementation at the very least presents your thumb with a bigger target to select, but I'd still like to see how effectively and seamlessly each one works.

• Reply 69 of 222
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    mpantone wrote: »
    There are a lot of Apple haters in this forum, but they provide little useful information, mostly just bile.

That does appear to be the case.
  • Reply 70 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Absolutely. If they had made it 32GB, 64GB and 128GB I would have gone with the 32GB on the low-end. This will definitely get many to make that jump past 16GB despite. I have 6GiB free at the moment on iOS 8 and plan to get 64GB due to potential data use and the resale value of 64GB in a year. Plus, when you think about a jump of 48GB and 64GB, respectively, between capacities it does seem much more reasonable than 16GB and 32GB, respectively, for $100. People should stop complaining since the 64GB model is now $100 cheaper than last year, and the 128GB now exists.

I'm the say way. Since iTunes Match came out, I haven't had a 64GB iPhone since the 4S. I usually get the 16GB phone but 64GB was too much to pass up. Very smart Apple, very smart.

• Reply 71 of 222

Interesting. Please demonstrate that gesture while holding the phone in one hand.
  • Reply 72 of 222
    Apple and AT&T are doomed. These news confirm it!
  • Reply 73 of 222
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't see that as a good solution and was very happy Apple didn't use it even though I had no idea of what a better solution could be. Apple's solution doesn't shrink anything, which defeats the purpose of a larger display, it moves down for a total of one tap. Now the double rap of the Touch ID sensor to activate it seems suspect but this is an area Apple tends to excel so I'll try it out before coming to a conclusion on whether it's natural or not.

No doubt that Apple's solution will be the better one. Just as it should be really, with the benefit of studying others missteps or incomplete solutions. Nothing wrong at all with observing and learning from others. Others will learn from Apple's approach to phablets too.

...and the beat goes on.

EDIT: Soli, do you know if the 6+ keyboard also shifts right (or left) to improve reachability for text entry? I' haven' seen mention of it either way.

FWIW LG G3 (and I think Samsung as well) allows the keyboard and keypad to shift right or left instead of shrinking the actual display, which also sounds useful. Don't know if its actually neeeded. That screen re-sizing looks to be unique to Samsung.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/using-one-handed-mode-lg-g3
  • Reply 74 of 222
    No doubt that Apple's solution will be the better one. Just as it should be really, with the benefit of studying others missteps or incomplete solutions. Nothing wrong at all with observing and learning from others. Others will learn from Apple's approach to phablets too.

Well, it does beat implementing ideas haphazardly just to be first and seemed to work out well for the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, Apple Retail, Ultra-portables, and, fingers crossed, the Apple Watch.

From the start of the Apple Keynote:

"Where others perceive first as valuable, you value the first thing that actually matters. While others are distracted by the new, you focus on the significance of a whole new take."

And for Apple, the Beats go on.

;)
  • Reply 75 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That does appear to be the case.

It's best to just block them. And for %^&* sake, don't reply or worse, QUOTE them. All that does is reveal what the scab pickers have posted to everyone that was smart enough to block them.

Also, I made the mistake of reading comments on a non-Apple oriented site that had an article about the iPhone 6. You want haters, holy cow! I read the term 'tech specs' or something similar about 8 times. Reminds me of horsepower heads and cars.

As to the topic, according to the only poll I've seen on the matter, the space gray models were the most popular. Followed by the white then gold. 64GB was also the most popular model. Who knows how many were made for the launch, but the iPhone 6 in space gray with 64GB sold out first at Verizon. I would guess that's the same across all carriers.

If you're waiting to see one in person then you are smarter than me. All I did was cut out cardboard to the size of the phones and carried that around in my pockets for a day. The 6+ felt like a small clipboard in my pocket so I went with the 6. This was a good exercise.

• Reply 76 of 222
    As to the topic, according to the only poll I've seen on the matter, the space gray models were the most popular. Followed by the white then gold. 64GB was also the most popular model. Who knows how many were made for the launch, but the iPhone 6 in space gray with 64GB sold out first at Verizon. I would guess that's the same across all carriers.

If you're waiting to see one in person then you are smarter than me. All I did was cut out cardboard to the size of the phones and carried that around in my pockets for a day. The 6+ felt like a small clipboard in my pocket so I went with the 6. This was a good exercise.

I took the plunge and ordered...surprise...surprise...the iPhone 6, Space Grey, 64 GB.

Did the cutout thing as well. Mine was plastic. ;)

I'll be going down to the Apple store to check out a Plus in the flesh on the day they arrive but, unless I've made a rather large misjudgement, I think the 6 will meet my needs.

Looking forward to the next reveal in October...
  • Reply 77 of 222
    EDIT: Soli, do you know if the 6+ keyboard also shifts right (or left) to improve reachability for text entry? I' haven' seen mention of it either way.

I haven't seen anything mentioned.
  • Reply 78 of 222
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Sure you can.
    Nothing has been charged to your card so if AT&T give you a hassle, just call the credit card company and tell them your order is not going thru as expected.
    (1) CC company can't cancel something that hasn't been charged?
    (2) you can't cancel cc on something that has been charged/shipped. That would constitute fraud. ie. receiving goods w/o paying.
    (3) You can dispute a charge though, but that takes time.
    (4) easiest is to buy elsewhere, and return the first phone.
  • Reply 79 of 222
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I got to check both phones in person before deciding.. I will be upgrade eligible in November.

Based on the last 2 years, Black Friday and over Christmas are the times to save a bit.  Last year my son got a 5C on Black Friday for $49.99 and a $75 gift card in return.  I got my 5S over Christmas for $70 off.

Wait and save....

• Reply 80 of 222

Stayed up all night, at 4:30 got the message from APPLE that they could not contact my carrier but the phone wad reserved for me. Wait for an email from us and then continue purchase. Went to bed, woke up and there was the email from APPLE!!! Overjoyed was I. Start the process only to be told that AT&T Next was not available to people living in the NYC area for online ordering thru APPLE...what bullshit is this. Spent the day on the phone with APPLE and AT&T even three way calling with both several times. Apple was shocked, never heard of such a thing...AT&T underlings were clueless. Spoke to several supervisors at AT&T finally they owned up to this bullshit rule. Thing is I called AT&T all week to make sure I could order the phone and was told several time, NO PROBLEM....now, APPLE has to let my phone go, AT&T wont honor the order placed at APPLE and I have to go to an AT&T store and wait for a phone, or preorder one thru them and wait until November. They offered me an android phone for free that day if I wanted that. PASS....I'm F'd. and I buy a new phone every year, have three lines on my service no one could help me. So much for being a loyal customer who spends a fortune at both companies.