Dive into iOS 8 with these handy tips for iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
In preparation of Wednesday's iOS 8 release, AppleInsider dug in and compiled a set of tips and tricks to help iPhone and iPad owners take full advantage of all the new features and functions baked in to Apple's latest mobile OS.

One of the most anticipated features rolling out in iOS 8 was actually introduced with the iPhone 5s, but has only now been opened to developers. With the latest iOS, Apple is granting access to Touch ID, meaning third-party apps like 1Password can finally take advantage of the fingerprint reading hardware.

Also a first is the ability to swap out keyboards for third-party solutions. Previously, Apple restricted users to the main iOS soft keyboard due to security concerns, but with iOS 8, users are able to download and try out custom solutions like Fleksy and SwiftKey.

On the app side, Apple's first-party titles get new features like quick image, audio and video sharing in Messages and deep email management in Mail.

Apple also added a slew of new Camera features to keep the world's most popular shooter up-to-date, including time lapse functionality, shutter timers and advanced exposure controls.

iOS-only features like Siri have also been drastically improved, with the virtual assistant now supporting "Hey Siri" hands free operation when plugged in to a power source. Voice responses have also been tweaked to sound more natural, while the backend has been enhanced with HomeKit integration for controlling smart home products.

In addition to Siri, users can now customize Notification Center with widgets created by third-party app developers. Powered by a corresponding app, widgets allow for bite-sized bits of information to be display in Notification Center, including the lock screen, meaning anything from sports scores to surf reports are only a thumb swipe away.

When OS X 10.10 is released this fall, iOS 8 will be able to integrate seamlessly through "Continuity" features like answering phone calls on your Mac, continuing text conversations and opening Web pages and documents through Handoff.

Apple's iOS 8 is available now as a free over-the-air Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Has anyone reached out to Apple for comment on why iCloud Photo Library has been randomly disabled for non dev users?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Today I was at Costco and noticed that when I turned on the phone a Costco icon showed up at the bottom left of the screen, opposite of the camera unlock. Swiping it took me directly to the Costco app. I had never seen this before iOS 8.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I don't understand why iOS 8's new predictive text in the messages app suggests misspelled words. I've been using it for a couple of hours and noticed it suggested a misspelling of the word tomorrow and a few others. And they're not colloquialisms or slang - just misspellings.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

I don't understand why iOS 8's new predictive text in the messages app suggests misspelled words. I've been using it for a couple of hours and noticed it suggested a misspelling of the word tomorrow and a few others. And they're not colloquialisms or slang - just misspellings.

Spell correct is one of the greatest adventures of the modern age. There is no telling what the heck they are going to come up with or why they do. 

• Reply 5 of 30
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Today I was at Costco and noticed that when I turned on the phone a Costco icon showed up at the bottom left of the screen, opposite of the camera unlock. Swiping it took me directly to the Costco app. I had never seen this before iOS 8.

That's right this is how iBeacons display on iOS8 (and also how handoff works).  If you didn't have the CostCo app installed the icon is then replaced with the App Store icon, where swiping will take you to the CostCo app in the app store.

Your iOS device intelligently uses a combination of location and available iBeacons to ensure that the correct icon is displayed for your current location. (E.g. if two neighbouring stores are both using iBeacons, your iOS device will be able to determine which one is more relevant to you right now.)

• Reply 6 of 30
    Just upgraded to iOS8. When someone calls me, it rings on all lines. I would imagine that this is due to the iCloud settings. This is a pain. I like some of the iCloud features. However, it appears that if I am signed in and have the same account on two phones, they both ring. Is there a known way to disable this?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    My complaints:

We should be able to disable the contact bubbles that show when you go into the multitasking view. This is considerably less useful on my iPad than it would be on my iPhone

Podcasts should either be integrated into the main Music app or not installed by default. iBooks should be an iPad only pre-install.

The Tips app should be deletable. iOS 8 pushes a 16GB iPad to 11.7GB free by default, that's getting ridiculous. I feel so sorry for all the people who will buy the 8GB 5C.

Pinch to close feels glitchy, it needs adjusting. As does the swipe up gesture.

Other than that, I like it. Feels faster, battery life seems improved on my Air. Looking forward to getting an iPhone 6 Friday to play with it on the latest and greatest.

And Hey Siri is [I]awesome[/I]. Now, I can simply ask Siri the weather in the morning without having to get out of bed.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

My complaints:

Podcasts should either be integrated into the main Music app or not installed by default. iBooks should be an iPad only pre-install.

The apps themselves take up hardly any space, so why not install them by default?

As for iBooks... While I use it almost exclusively on my iPad... with an iP6+ It'll be useable on the phone as well.

I think most people will either want them, or not care, and so requiring the few people that DON'T want to delete it will be less annoying to the greater population. ;)

• Reply 9 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

And Hey Siri is awesome. Now, I can simply ask Siri the weather in the morning without having to get out of bed.

Indeed.

I'm opening up apps without ever touching the iPad.

I've been converting currency without touching.

I've been setting alarms without touching.

And not once did it ever not understand me, and it's super quick. You just speak totally normal, and you don't have to pause after you say "Hey SIRI!".

• Reply 10 of 30
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

People will think i'm trolling here, but not sure how some of you guys can keep a straight face talking about Samsung/Google ripping Apple when iOS updates over the past three years have just been implementing existing Android features. Probably time to hang it up and just enjoy the products for what they are.

• Reply 11 of 30

Originally Posted by koop View Post

People will think i'm trolling here, but not sure how some of you guys can keep a straight face talking about Samsung/Google ripping Apple when iOS updates over the past three years have just been implementing existing Android features.

We’re able to do that only because you are trolling.

• Reply 12 of 30
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    We’re able to do that only because you are trolling.

In fact the only point of his post was trolling.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Control center is ugly now
  • Reply 14 of 30
    estolinski wrote: »

The predictive typing seems to take information from your current keyboard dictionary in order to work.

That means all of the misspellings you've overridden knowingly or unknowingly are now part of the predictive text dictionary and they now appear in the suggested 3 word pop ups.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    You can turn off the contact bubbles in Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars > [CONTACTS section] Show In App Switcher >
  • Reply 16 of 30
    estolinski wrote: »

It's most likely because in the past you have accidentally misspelled those words multiple times (three times the dictionary learns the words) and its suggesting a these common words you have unintentionally added to the keyboard dictionary.

To fix it just go to settings and erase keyboard dictionary. This is learned behavior that it suggests.

This should clear it up.

What's bothering me is the new texting from the banner feature is not allowing me to type. The keyboard pops up but is unresponsive in that mode.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

It's most likely because in the past you have accidentally misspelled those words multiple times (three times the dictionary learns the words) and its suggesting a these common words you have unintentionally added to the keyboard dictionary.

To fix it just go to settings and erase keyboard dictionary. This is learned behavior that it suggests.

This should clear it up.

What's bothering me is the new texting from the banner feature is not allowing me to type. The keyboard pops up but is unresponsive in that mode.

You're right that fixed the issue. 

The keyboard won't come up at all for me in when trying to respond to a notification of a text message. I get the text field and cursor but no keyboard....

• Reply 18 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Just updated and love the keyboard and the overall smoothness.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

I haven't updated yet because neither my iPad nor my iPhone have enough space!  I need to clear space to install.  I'm pretty taken aback at the size of the update.  Over 6GB for iPad and over 4 with iPhone.   Given my iPad mini is only 16GB, that's pretty large.  Even my 32GB iPhone 5 doesn't have enough room.  

• Reply 20 of 30
    iOS 8 is simply iOS 7 with more features.... Wish I could say more... Bahaha