Goodbye, Camera Roll: Where to find your photos in iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

I really like the way the Collections are sorted and arranged. They are taking much more advantage of the EXIF meta data. I attend a lot of conferences and my photos are now all organized with the name of the convention center sorted by date. I can understand the aggravation of trying to find images without EXIF data that were synced or saved in but all of my images were produced with the iPhone camera so they are extremely well organized. Photographers who shoot in raw with high end cameras often lose their EXIF data when they export a copy as jpg.

I think what really needs to happen is that those export applications like Photoshop, need to preserve the EXIF data, although many high end cameras don't even have Geotagging. 

• Reply 42 of 137
    I actually miss the camera roll. I wish they would have kept it.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

Also, this is in preparation for the storage of ALL of your photos in iCloud.  

Most people have no interest in storing their documents or photos in the "cloud", under any choice of operating system.  My iPhoto library far exceeds any type of "cloud" storage capacity, nor do I want my photos on Apple's servers, or anyone else's servers.

• Reply 44 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

What? Facebook hasn't kept their app(s) up to date with changes that they were warned about months in advance? I'm *shocked*. /s

Yep. Same thing I have said to several folks griping about how this or that app can't upload photos cause of this 'bug'. Not a bug in IOS but in the app, and the developers have known about this change for months. 

Now gripe about how Apple removed the whole events/face/planes tabs which were actually easier to search and you might have something. At the very least I wish they would let us facetag photos on our devices and search for those tags

• Reply 45 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The great unwashed are going to freak, and I frankly don't blame them. 

Or they won't because many of them don't post photos they have already taken. They take it in the moment and via the app. 

They are likely to freak more about how the whole camera roll/photostream meant two copies of every photo was on the device and taking up precious storage. 

• Reply 46 of 137
    I'm not against change, but this is a bad one. It is harder and more convulated to use. Bad organization =/= innovation. I would like my camera roll back. I'll organize the rest myself. Thanks.
  • Reply 47 of 137
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Actually, I always found the camera roll vs. photo stream thing very confusing.
  • Reply 48 of 137

It is as if all our photos are stored in a shoebox. We might organize them in some rational sequence, but then Apple comes along and shakes up the shoebox and reorganizes them according to its own whim. That's not user friendly. It's user-abusive.

• Reply 49 of 137
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My money is on this being changed within weeks if not days.

I was concerned when my camera roll had disappeared, and I've been keeping up to date on iOS 8 changes pretty well.

The great unwashed are going to freak, and I frankly don't blame them. People may not know where or when a picture they want was taken, and if you don't know that, finding it is a bitch.

Countdown to rollback... 3,2,1...

Or if there's a sharp coder out there who can turn out a 'camera roll' App in the next few days, they might do pretty well for themselves...

• Reply 50 of 137
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    I just tried it. I love the ability to group my photos into collections.

Oh yes, for this unwashed senior citizen it wasn't at all difficult finding my photos. Maybe it's only the arrogant snobs with their heads up their butts that can't,
  • Reply 51 of 137
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

This is just a quick aside, please forgive me if it sounds like a rant.

Apple, please please provide a solution to the mess that is my iPhoto library.  I've been using iPhoto since it came out, so I've got gig upon gig of photos, all organized in a cryptic process that I still don't understand.  Weirdly labeled folders are nested in other folders in seemingly logic-defying ways, spreading out my pictures and greatly frustrating my wish to have them in simple folders organized, for instance, by name, or by date.

Can we just get the iPhoto pictures to be stored in folders by name or date?  That would be so awesome and useful, as a way to get many gigs of images OUT of iPhoto.

• Reply 52 of 137
    paxman wrote: »
    The Camera Roll has gone the way of the Rotary Dial. Ask kids what either are and you get a big  :???:

Want some fun? Ask a kid to figure out how we used to text using a rotary phone dial...

I remember how our home phone ring tome seemed to sound like everyone else's. I guess no one bothered (or knew how) to change it.

User privacy was insured by saying into the receiver, "It's for me, you can hang up now, mom."

Everyone also had an unlimited local plan. Roaming was what a person used to do when the new "wire free" phones were invented.
  • Reply 53 of 137
    takeo wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/182402/goodbye-camera-roll-where-to-find-your-photos-in-ios-8#post_2602201 layout=inline]Actually, I always found the camera roll vs. photo stream thing very confusing.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Exactly! Apple always talked about how my photo stream was always backed up and synched ... yadda yadda... But then I was left wondering, "Okay, but what about my camera roll and my shared folder?"
  • Reply 54 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp wrote: »

I don’t want a single thing to change without my express consent. I like things just the way they are. And it’s too bad Apple doesn’t innovate anymore either.
    Then don't fking update.
  • Reply 55 of 137
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Then don't fking update.

I forgot to include the sarcasm tag. My apologies but it seemed obvious to me at least. See, I want nothing to change but I want innovation too. Get it? No?

• Reply 56 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like this change: I let WAY too many images pile up in my Camera Roll, AND I often go back to find one again in the endless sea of past images. So, a little "temporary auto-organization" may be just the ticket!
  • Reply 57 of 137
    Some of you guys are so snarky. "Waaaaa waaaaa, I hate change."

Here's why this actually does create an unnecessary new complication -

* You're taking photos in the camera app.
    * You click the 'most recent' thumbnail to see how your photos turned out.
    * It brings you to the most recent picture, as always.
    * Now - the button at the top left is the change -
    * On iOS7 you click "Camera Roll" and it loads a page of all your new pictures.
    * On iOS8 it says "All photos" - which takes you to the earliest photo on your camera from perhaps years ago. You can either scroll through hundreds of photos, or click the tab "albums" and then click the tab "recently added" to get to where you actually wanted to be.

This can be solved by changing the button from "All Photos" to "Recent Photos" - Instead of launching you to the very earliest photos in your entire collection every single time, it would/should launch you to the latest, which is actually most relevant.
  • Reply 58 of 137
    With the new setup you can't choose a photo for a background unless its in an album first.
  • Reply 59 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Where is the old Photo Stream?  Is Photo Stream co-mingled with Recently Added? If I wish to remove selective photos from Photo Stream, how do I know which photos those are?

I guess I should read the manual or the helpful tips provided in the Photos app.

I'd like to know this as well.

• Reply 60 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Want some fun? Ask a kid to figure out how we used to text using a rotary phone dial...
    :)
    A friend's twelve year old girl pointed to an emergency rotary phone behind glass in an old elevator and asked "what's that?". When he told her it was a phone she just stared at it, clearly not comprehending how that could possibly work. Maybe Apple should have changed the film roll to a memory card?