Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 161 of 225
    pazuzu wrote: »
     Yes - but actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.

1<span style="line-height:1.4em;">.) Free bumpers were issued.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">2.) The antenna was </span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">physically </em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">?changed with </span>
    the<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> 4S.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Do you deny this ever happened. Answer the question.</span>

Maybe this isn't great evidence, but I had an iPhone 4 for three years and I never once had a dropped call. I pretended a few calls dropped during that period, but I never experienced it due to the phone. Just one use case, but it did have that antenna design you are claiming was such an issue. The only time I didn't have service was when no one had service (subways & such).

It was on AT&T all the way up the east coast at points if anyone is curious.

My 4 regularly dropped out before I got the bumper, so that cancels out your anecdote.
  • Reply 162 of 225
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    connie wrote: »
    This is awesome. Now that Apple showed us that they tested the iPhone 6 Plus it will never bend in any persons pocket again. This will shut up the idiots that say the Apple iPhone 6 Plus have a design flaw.

Naive much?
  • Reply 163 of 225
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Why I never liked "Bendghazi" either, not to mention the "joke" turns on a couple of deaths. Why he kept bringing it up I'll never know. I hope the two of them shut up later in the thread.

I prefer Gumby-gate.
  • Reply 164 of 225
    No, because that didn’t happen and this won’t happen.

There’s a river in California called insane. Well ‘mad’, but you get it.

So you’re PROVING that Apple has a HISTORY of responding to morons who want to make an issue out of NOTHING for the sole purpose of SHUTTING THEM UP, just like what is happening right now. Thanks for that.

Agreed.

Not agreed. Prove this was done to solve a fabricated problem.

And when the 6plusS next year gets a sturdier encasing or discontinued , you will conjure up a different excuse.
  • Reply 165 of 225
    muppetry wrote: »
    They change the antennas with virtually every iteration. 4S used a new double antenna design for faster data rates and for compatibility with HSDPA. The assertion that the changes were to cure a real problem with the 4 was unsupported as far as I can recall.

The issue was tested with the 4S and because of the new design it was deemed fixed. What planet do you live on- Henson?
  • Reply 166 of 225

I have been carrying my 6 plus around for several days now and it appears to be quite sturdy. Of course I have not deliberately applied excessive force on like the dude in the video either. As to those who had the pocket bends, how much poundage exactly did you have sitting on that poor phone? Thought about that because I just saw a 300lb plus patient with a regular 6 in his back pocket. Not to swift.

• Reply 167 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My 4 regularly dropped out before I got the bumper, so that cancels out your anecdote.

My wife has a 4 without a bumper.  It never drops out, so that cancels out your anecdote. 

• Reply 168 of 225
    tinker15 wrote: »

My wife has a 4 without a bumper.  It never drops out, so that cancels out your anecdote. 

Buy your wife a new phone - that's an antique- doesn't even take OS 8. That's an even bigger anecdote.
  • Reply 169 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Buy your wife a new phone - that's an antique- doesn't even take OS 8. That's an even bigger anecdote.

iPhone 6 due on 3rd October; she will get my 5 with iOS 8.0.2.  A good condition iPhone 4 is selling for over £100 on eBay UK which is an even better anecdote!  

• Reply 170 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    And when the 6plusS next year gets a sturdier encasing or discontinued , you will conjure up a different excuse.

Again, by your logic the 4S design was a complete disaster because they replaced it with the 5.

And as you previously ignore my comment, the 4 continued to be sold for another 3 years with no changes. The bumper was only free for a limited time and was not included with all 4 purchases.
  • Reply 171 of 225
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My wife's iPhone 4 got normal reception since I first bought it for her until now, so that also cancel out your bullshit.

• Reply 172 of 225
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I have to wonder if part of the problem is that "fans" of Apple's competitors are so used to their companies' short term strategies, lack of customer support, and planned obsolescence that they expect every company to act the same way. People who continually complain about the price premium for Apple products have little understanding of customer retention or build quality because to them, price is everything and there is little value in design, fit & finish, and long term customer satisfaction. They do not appreciate the value proposition inherent in buying a product built to last.

I wonder the same but a little different. I think they got used to slimy corporates like Google or Samsung with little regards for customer's satisfaction so they think they can't trust any companies.

• Reply 173 of 225
    jungmark wrote: »
    Are you purposely being this dense? Again, by your logic the 4S design was a complete disaster because they replaced it with the 5.

No that's not my logic but your distortion of what I just said. The S series is always an improve on the prior generation. There is no change in the basic design. You fail.
  • Reply 174 of 225
    tinker15 wrote: »
    iPhone 6 due on 3rd October; she will get my 5 with iOS 8.0.2.  A good condition iPhone 4 is selling for over £100 on eBay UK which is an even better anecdote!  

That's nice- a friend here got $65.
  • Reply 176 of 225
    It's not that it's thin or made of aluminum, there's a badly designed metal insert behind the volume buttons. http://imgur.com/a/FBegH
  • Reply 177 of 225

Its slim so take care of your phone and dont sit on it.  

• Reply 178 of 225
    I used to design cellphone but my company lost our market to Apple. We make strong but thick and can be dropped multiple times. These type of handset lost out. Apple demonstrated to us that we were obsoleted in our thinking. The combination in design,function,ecosystem,thinness,ect....makes a great phone.
  • Reply 179 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    haggar wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    They change the antennas with virtually every iteration. 4S used a new double antenna design for faster data rates and for compatibility with HSDPA. The assertion that the changes were to cure a real problem with the 4 was unsupported as far as I can recall.

During that Antennagate press conference, Steve said that Apple would "continue to work on antennas that don't have this problem".

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/

11:06 AM

Sure, but don't forget that the context was the (correct) observation that all phones operating on GHz frequencies are affected by how they are held, and always have been. The IP4 was no different. The same is true of other RF communication devices - even those with discrete antennas. Jobs was not saying that the IP4 was immune, just that its performance was well up to industry standards. The goal was, and no doubt continues to be, to minimize that effect, so of course they would continue to work on improved designs.
  • Reply 180 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    No that's not my logic but your distortion of what I just said. The S series is always an improve on the prior generation. There is no change in the basic design. You fail.

So the 4S improved on the 4. So I'm glad we're in agreement.