Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 225
    pazuzu wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    No question it bends. Apple have demonstrated that it bends. But then you succumb to stupidity, as usual. The issue, obviously, is not whether it bends (period), the issue is whether it bends under unreasonably low forces. Not proven, either by actual testing or by extensive user complaints. I don't want proof - I want credible evidence, and I haven't yet seen any.

That is the issue- IT SHOULDN"T BEND.  Apple apparently thinks its an issue otherwise they would have simply ignored it.

You really have no clue how dumb and illogical your arguments are. Apparently you can neither reason nor read. I'll leave it to others to waste their time refuting your nonsense.
  • Reply 122 of 225
    andysol wrote: »
    gtr wrote: »

So you dispute the hard data supplied?

Can you supply data that proves otherwise?

I'm with pazazu here. otherwise, why change the antenna, and why give the bumpers?

But I also don't think it was a big deal at all. People could intentionally manipulate it to not work- under normal use it was totally fine. Much like pushing on an already bent device as hard as you can doesn't constitute "normal use";)

They change the antennas with virtually every iteration. 4S used a new double antenna design for faster data rates and for compatibility with HSDPA. The assertion that the changes were to cure a real problem with the 4 was unsupported as far as I can recall.
  • Reply 123 of 225
    I applaud Apple's prompt action to address general public's concern on iphone 6 plus's bending tendency. I also do think the testing staff and engineer have done diligent work on testing out the newest iphones. Nonetheless, that does not mean their testing methodology is valid or complete. For example, adding weight load on the center of the iphone 6 plus is not the best way of testing it's resistance to bending. They should have put the weight load close to the volume rocker or the SIM card tray area where people have already identified as the weak spot as posted on Youtube.

Your thoughts?
  • Reply 124 of 225
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That is the issue- IT SHOULDN"T BEND.  Apple apparently thinks its an issue otherwise they would have simply ignored it.

Every phone that guy tested bent under extreme force.  And while they didn't completely bend out of shape like the iPhone 6 Plus, the test was hardly scientific because the iPhone he showed was pre-bent, he didn't bend the other phones in the same spot, and it's impossible to tell if he used the exact same amount of force on all of them.  And some of the other phones started to make cracking sounds when he bent them, which likely indicated internal damage of some sort even if they didn't stay bent.

Two points:

1) If people are going to continue to accept anecdotal evidence like amateur YouTube videos as scientific fact, then we might as well go back to the dark ages and believe in witches, that the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, etc.  It's really sad how rational thinking and proper scientific methodology has been overshadowed by theatrics these days.

2) I carry high-capacity USB keychain drives and many other objects around with me all the time which would snap with much less force.  Heck, I could probably make all sorts of videos showing how most portable objects can be bent or snapped.  But what's the point?  I'm careful with my possessions and, under normal circumstances, they would never be subject to that kind of force.  I don't want to carry heavier objects or pay more for reinforcements in them just because a few people are careless.  Or because I *might* forget to take my iPhone out of my pocket while I play Football (or a similarly ridiculous scenario).

• Reply 125 of 225
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    They change the antennas with virtually every iteration. 4S used a new double antenna design for faster data rates and for compatibility with HSDPA. The assertion that the changes were to cure a real problem with the 4 was unsupported as far as I can recall.

What was the change in the antenna from the 5 to the 5 S?
  • Reply 126 of 225
    auxio wrote: »
    Every phone that guy tested bent under extreme force.  And while they didn't completely bend out of shape like the iPhone 6 Plus, the test was hardly scientific because the iPhone he showed was <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">pre-bent, he didn't bend the other phones in the same spot, and it's impossible to tell if he used the exact same amount of force on all of them.  And some of the other phones started to make cracking sounds when he bent them, which likely indicated internal damage of some sort even if they didn't stay bent.</span>

Two points:

1) If people are going to continue to accept anecdotal evidence like amateur YouTube videos as scientific fact, then we might as well go back to the dark ages and believe in witches, that the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, etc.  It's really sad how rational thinking and proper scientific methodology has been overshadowed by theatrics these days.

2) I carry high-capacity USB keychain drives and many other objects around with me all the time which would snap with much less force.  Heck, I could probably make all sorts of videos showing how most portable objects can be bent or snapped.  But what's the point?  I'm careful with my possessions and, under normal circumstances, they would never be subject to that kind of force.  I don't want to carry heavier objects or pay more for reinforcements in them just because a few people are careless.

All Apple needs to do is slap a sticker on the box stating "Not made to be carried in pants pockets". Problem solved.
  • Reply 127 of 225

What was the change in the antenna from the 5 to the 5 S?

What were the new protocols supported by the 5S?
  • Reply 128 of 225

Never answer a question with another question genius.
  • Reply 129 of 225
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Answer the question.

Apple did agree to supply bumpers as a goodwill gesture. They did not give them to 'everyone', as you claimed, only those who wished to apply for them.

The antennae design was changed from the iPhone 4 to the 4s. So was the processor, the cameras, battery, storage capacity, software, and name. Are you claiming these also had issues?

I'd greatly appreciate any hard data that you are able to supply that proves what they claimed was a falsehood.

Do you think there is a possibility that, like now, a relatively minor issue was blown out of proportion?

• Reply 130 of 225
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

All Apple needs to do is slap a sticker on the box stating "Not made to be carried in pants pockets". Problem solved.

Can you put a sticker on your forehead that says: not made to carry on rational conversations?

• Reply 131 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Siri to critics: bite my shiny metal ass.

R:  Siri, no need to get bent out of shape.

• Reply 132 of 225
    is this the same testing facility they used to shatter iphone4 screens and backs?
  • Reply 133 of 225

Never answer a question with another question genius.

Yes, I should have guessed that the answer implied by my response would be totally beyond you. Never mind.
  • Reply 134 of 225
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macvicta wrote: »
    The iPhone 6 Plus is a curse on Apple. They never should've made it. I bet none of the executives including Ive himself even use it.

More abject foolishness. Never has any handheld digital display made photographs look so good. Visual artists of all kinds are going to glom onto this jewel like they did Kodachrome.

Either you haven't seen it or you have no eyes to see. (The collection of videos and stills they have loaded onto the displays at the Apple store are worth spending a good half hour over.) And the video camera is astounding, especially the quick autofocus.

Wake up! Any further posts like this from you just tell us who you are, not what that device is. It's probably the most stunning and elegant piece of consumer technology ever made.
  • Reply 135 of 225
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    See, this is why I don’t like “Benghazi.” Aha, you thought I’d post my own political views here, did you? Not this time.

Why I never liked "Bendghazi" either, not to mention the "joke" turns on a couple of deaths. Why he kept bringing it up I'll never know. I hope the two of them shut up later in the thread.
  • Reply 136 of 225
    jungmark wrote: »
    The 4S is a different phone than the 4. If Apple "fixed" it, it would have changed the 4 as well.

As you note, the iPhone 4 did not change in 4.5 years, it's also been pointed out ad nauseam, back when he went by Teckstud, that the reason the iPhone 4S had a slightly altered antenna design was the requirement for additional antenna for CDMA networks.

You can see this with the mid-cycle release of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon. The iPhone 4S, which was the first to be a "world phone" from Apple insofar that as it was designed to work for both GSM and CDMA networks — remember when that was a rarity and was designated to excluding any N. American GSM frequencies? — as noted by the use of the Broadcom M6610*.

For CDMA this requires an additional antenna over the GSM model which is why the Verizon iPhone 4 has the slightly altered antenna design and the iPhone 4S also continues that new design, although all were external antennas and thereby broke the laws of physics in this anti-Apple universe where Isaac Newton got molested by an android and invented graviy[.

Also, note that people like Teckstud were saying how it was stupid for Apple to have an external antenna and how they'll have to recall them all. Again, we not only saw this model sell dozens of millions over many years but also continue to use that external antenna design.

Here is what iFixit had to say when comparing the two iPhone 4's.
    An antenna's operating frequency is directly dependent on its size and geometry, so the change-up required an antenna overhaul.

• The AT&T GSM iPhone has three differently shaped antennas, which enable the phone to communicate on UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

• The CDMA iPhone, which has four antenna segments (two "U" shaped pieces at the top and bottom, and two straight bars along the edge) only needs to operate on 800 and 1900 MHz for CDMA EV-DO Rev. A.

This is also why the iPhone on CDMA networks was not able to get SV&D until last week when several Android-based (and possibly WinPhone) devices have been able for a few years now. Not enough antennas, not because Apple is so stupid at designing phones that they foolishly put the antenna on the outside.

That said, Apple did make some major mistakes. For starters, they created an antenna system much more usable under poor conditions than any previously design phone but they foolishly kept how the bars were displays across all devices so you think you have little to no signal but you're much actually much better off than other device, as noted by AnandTech's reporting. The other thing was giving away the Bumpers. It's a nice gesture but some people are so myopic and cynical that they take the volunteer, short-term Bumper giveaway as a sign that it wouldn't work without the Bumper despite 4.5 years of science to show that an external facing antenna was a brilliant move.

* The Verizon iPhone 4 had the Broadcom M6600 which is "world phone" capable chip but did have the other components for working with GSM.
  • Reply 137 of 225

And next year when Apple fixes the issue with a new 6 PLUS S  material you all will eat crow- just like when Apple fixed antennae gate on the iPhone 4 to 4S.

No, because that didn’t happen and this won’t happen.

There's a river in Egypt call de Nile.

There’s a river in California called insane. Well ‘mad’, but you get it.

Apple response to the antenae-gate issue was to issue free bumpers - there's no denying it no matter how you'd like to forget it. 

So you’re PROVING that Apple has a HISTORY of responding to morons who want to make an issue out of NOTHING for the sole purpose of SHUTTING THEM UP, just like what is happening right now. Thanks for that.

Apple physically changed the antenna in the 4S...

Agreed.

...to FIX the issue.

Not agreed. Prove this was done to solve a fabricated problem.

• Reply 138 of 225
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Everything reported suggests that Apple DID design and test the device to be carried in a pants pocket.

Here's a (rare) balanced, pro-Apple article from the Washington Post (the #2 story in their hot stories list at the moment):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/25/no-you-probably-cant-bend-the-iphone-6-plus-unless-youre-a-bodybuilder/?tid=pm_pop

• Reply 139 of 225

Apple has taken dozens of serious missteps in the past two weeks which are inconsequential compared to the products it launched and those in the pipeline. What road doesn't have potholes? I'm not sure Bendghazi-gate is over. Apple may have to pony up some 6 Plus cases. 

• Reply 140 of 225
    mj web wrote: »
    Apple has taken dozens of serious missteps in the past two weeks which are inconsequential compared to the products it launched and those in the pipeline. What road doesn't have potholes? I'm not sure Bendghazi-gate is over. Apple may have to pony up some 6 Plus cases. 

1) LOL at Bendghazi-gate. Good to cover your bases, eh? How about Bendghazi-Teapot-Dome-gate?

2) I wouldn't mind an hour long impromptu event that gives us a detailed look into he rigorous testing that goes into their devices… but I don't want if means idiots jump on that as proof that Apple made a phone that feels more at home in a Salvador Dali painting**.

** The idiots won't get that.