Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 141 of 254
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Interesting reading, so it does seem the iPhone 6 bending issue isn't! On a day to day basis anyway. Still with the exception of the HTC, all the other phones tested here including the iPhone 5 are ultimately much stronger than the latest iPhones.
  • Reply 142 of 254
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a way they can test various "pocket force" for different people in their various pants. Meaning, I wonder how much force is applied when sitting down with a phone in your pocket.
    I don't get this use of the term bodybuilder. These are people that work their body to define it, not to make it powerful. Wouldn't power lifter be a more apropos term?

Well if I felt my phone in my pocket pushing against me, I would move it. Only fools put their phones in their back pockets.
  • Reply 143 of 254
    foggyhill wrote: »
    So, by the same token, a Youtube video can tell you north is south and you'll believe it? Because, well why would someone who eventually got 30M+ hits out of it, and much money ... lie? Completely unthinkable. Compared to that guy, consumer report is the height of science and sophistication.

Oh, I wouldn't go quite that far. In the latest Consumer Reports I believe they recommend a Sony phone over the iPhones. They have weird criteria. I seldom find myself in agreement.
  • Reply 144 of 254
    apple ][ You put it so well I hope you don't mind if I quote you
  • Reply 145 of 254
    my only question on this whole thing is "why has someone with far superior photoshop skills than i not yet posted an image of bender bending rodriguez and an iphone 6?"
  • Reply 146 of 254
    1983 wrote: »
    Interesting reading, so it does seem the iPhone 6 bending issue isn't! On a day to day basis anyway. Still with the exception of the HTC, all the other phones tested here including the iPhone 5 are ultimately much stronger than the latest iPhones.

But from my understanding, only in bend tests. In drop tests, screen impact tests and even playing Taylor Swift music underwater (wow!) the iPhone 6 and 6 plus perform extraordinarily well.
  • Reply 147 of 254

Actually a pretty good summary of test results there. Thin phones bend a bit easier, metal phones retain some bend. All makes sense. 90 or 100 lbs is a lot of pressure if applied from your pants when you sit down. 50 lbs at each end of the phone is a lot. Certainly seems like Apples statement of 9 complaints is representative vs. the millions sold.

I'm glad this nonsense is getting put to bed the same week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

The Google fanboys are plain stupid and bratty guys and making stupid money. So you guys should to try making destroy Google phones videos at front Google fanboy's faces.

Making stupid money? Making destroy Google phones? Can we try this one again in English, please?

• Reply 148 of 254
    jungmark wrote: »
    Well if I felt my phone in my pocket pushing against me, I would move it. Only fools put their phones in their back pockets.

From what I've noticed the majority — not al!l — people that have so far clamored for larger displays on Android-based devices have leaned toward larger individuals with less nimble fingers and other physical traits. If your gut is large to the point that you can't see your penis without the aid of a reflective surface then the front pocket probably isn't an easily accessible location for your phone.
  • Reply 149 of 254
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Why deny facts?

iPhone 6 Plus: The Bend Uncut

This is like the antennagate. Apple will fix it with the next release. Next year?

• Reply 150 of 254
    appex wrote: »
    Why deny facts?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

This is like the antennagate. Apple will fix it with the next release. Next year?

What is uncut? He's holding an iPhone outside of the box. Where is the "chain of custody" from an Apple Store employee selling him the device, to him opening it, to him pulling it out, and him bending it with force that is equal to or less than what is felt by normal use? Are you saying his bending of the device is "normal" wear and tear? Are you saying there is no way that it could have been altered before the video starts? Why deny facts?

Yes, next year the iPhone will have been changed as the design for the 2015 edition has surely been underway for at least a year now. There is no single YoY update that didn't have improvements so your post hoc ergo propter hoc is simply Teckstudian logic at its worst. They will not recall the iPhone 6 series just like they didn't recall the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 151 of 254
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Why deny facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

What is uncut? He's holding an iPhone outside of the box. Where is the "chain of custody" from an Apple Store employee selling him the device, to him opening it, to him pulling it out, and him bending it with force that is equal to or less than what is felt by normal use? Are you saying his bending of the device is "normal" wear and tear? Are you saying there is no way that it could have been altered before the video starts? Why deny facts?

Yes, next year the iPhone will have been changed as the design for the 2015 edition has surely been underway for at least a year now. There is no single YoY update that didn't have improvements so your post hoc ergo propter hoc is simply Teckstudian logic at its worst. They will not recall the iPhone 6 series just like they didn't recall the iPhone 4.

This exemplifies the disconnect in all these arguments - the fundamental assumption that if the phone can be bent by hand then it is too weak - even though the controlled tests indicate that all the current top phones will bend at or less than 150 lbs force applied to the middle of the phone - a force that any moderately strong human can exert in that manner. The HTC One is measurably weaker than the 6+ and roughly similar to the 6, and yet no one is running around declaring it to be a design failure.

• Reply 152 of 254
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From what I've noticed the majority — not al!l — people that have so far clamored for larger displays on Android-based devices have leaned toward larger individuals with less nimble fingers and other physical traits. If your gut is large to the point that you can't see your penis without the aid of a reflective surface then the front pocket probably isn't an easily accessible location for your phone.

This may be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen come from you.  I would expect this kind of post from an Apple][, but you're usually above these kind of moronic posts.

• Reply 153 of 254
    droidftw wrote: »
    This may be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen come from you.  I would expect this kind of post from an Apple][, but you're usually above these kind of moronic posts.

As I note, it's purely anecdotal, and I do know some people that aren't very large that have very large Android devices that like them… but most of the people I see with them are typically large individuals. Not necessary morbidly obese or unhealthy, just large. People often over 6 feet with a thicker bone structure, and typically with a high BMI than the average person thus leading to larger digits. Wouldn't you think it makes since they might want alarger display with larger elements to press especially one with a stylus and digitizer, the latter I have wanted Apple to add before the Galaxy Note was an announced product. Again, this is not a pigeonholing, but an observation that I have not tested in other markets or across other individuals. I even recommended the 5.5" iPhone for my mother because of her vision and lack of dexterity and she's neither tall or considered large for her age.
  • Reply 154 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Why deny facts?

Wow! 

That is one bent iPhone 6 Plus! It bent even more easily than the first one he did. There's no way I would ever buy it.

I'm shocked that Apple have released this iPhone; it's much the worse thing that has ever happened to them in regard to iPhones. This is bad news for Apple.

• Reply 155 of 254
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I am again surprised at the Internet rage directed at Consumer Reports.  Wherever you go the CR haters are turned up to 11.  What is the deal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Isn't this rich- everyone at AI LOVES Consumer Reports now. Well Kumbaya my lawd.

I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my opinion of CR.  It has not changed recently or ever.  My point was larger than just this forum.  I don't understand why some many dismiss anything CR says - seemingly based solely on emotional judgements.  I see them as just another information resource to be used along with many others in making any sort of purchase decision.

• Reply 156 of 254

Why are people saying that Apple doesn't test their phones in more places than just the middle, like consumer reports are showing here?

• Reply 157 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I doubt that they adjusted, because the increased moment due to the length is real - in terms of how it affects load to failure. The reduced load to failure, relative to the 5, is not entirely explained by the increased length though- the remainder is probably just the design change in device thickness, material thickness etc.. The 6+ having higher load to failure than the 6 is curious in that context.

Maybe because they expected more leverage in the longer phone, they bumped up the internal bracing. A larger phone allows a better distribution of real world forces to compensate for the leverage issue (if using bracing).

In the real world, the stress would be mostly uniformily applied over the whole body with a few pressure points (for seems and the like). The pinned bottom of the phone would act a pîtvot for leverage)

• Reply 158 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Wow! 

That is one bent iPhone 6 Plus! It bent even more easily than the first one he did. There's no way I would ever buy it.

I'm shocked that Apple have released this iPhone; it's much the worse thing that has ever happened to them in regard to iPhones. This is bad news for Apple.

This proves without a doubt that you are troll. The tone alone no matter what was in the content would prove it.

• Reply 159 of 254
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I doubt that they adjusted, because the increased moment due to the length is real - in terms of how it affects load to failure. The reduced load to failure, relative to the 5, is not entirely explained by the increased length though- the remainder is probably just the design change in device thickness, material thickness etc.. The 6+ having higher load to failure than the 6 is curious in that context.

Maybe because they expected more leverage in the longer phone, they bumped up the internal bracing. A larger phone allows a better distribution of real world forces to compensate for the leverage issue (if using bracing).

That may be the explanation. However, all other things being equal I'm not sure that a longer structure is ever more resistant to bending, irrespective of how the forces are distributed.

• Reply 160 of 254
    welshdog wrote: »
    welshdog wrote: »

I am again surprised at the Internet rage directed at Consumer Reports.  Wherever you go the CR haters are turned up to 11.  What is the deal?
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Isn't this rich- everyone at AI LOVES Consumer Reports now. Well Kumbaya my lawd.

I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my opinion of CR.  It has not changed recently or ever.  My point was larger than just this forum.  I don't understand why some many dismiss anything CR says - seemingly based solely on emotional judgements.  I see them as just another information resource to be used along with many others in making any sort of purchase decision.

If I could find my previous post on this subject, I'd just link to it: On every subject that I know something about, Consumer Reports has over the years revealed themselves as a bottomless well of ignorance. I actually gave up on them 37 years ago, when they rated the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon "unacceptable" because if you're barreling down the road at 50 mph with your hands off the wheel, then reach out, jerk it 90 degrees, and then let go, they would "oscillate and eventually run off the road". I think not running off the road instantly would be a great feature, but not them!

I've looked and looked online, but I can't find the Russell Brockbank Major Upsett cartoon from that era...the Major and a passenger are driving on a curvy road right at the edge of the ocean, At the top of the cliff, a line of cars is drawn up. One has just driven off the cliff and is halfway to the water. The Major turns to his friend and says: "I see Consumer Reports is testing cars again." Pretty much says it all.

I think their idiocy is actually a good thing in this case. Since they will make up any kind of ridiculous crap to denigrate Apple products (remember Antennagate), the fact that even they won't jump on this bandwagon is all the proof you need that it's made-up.