After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 141 of 429
    I've actually heard some Brits pronounce "whinge" (rhymes with "hinge"). It's awkward. As awkward as a literal pronunciation of "maths".

"Whinge" isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." "Whinge" and "whine" are actually entirely different words with separate histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwinan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwinan" became "whinen"in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.
  • Reply 142 of 429
    formosa wrote: »
    "...had ran out..." is incorrect grammar. I think he wanted to say "had run out" (past perfect tense).

Thanks for info, probably a typo then. I wondered as I hear 'had ran' and see it written a lot and began to think it was another of those changes I just have to learn. After all I still say 'I dived' not 'I dove' and I wince trying to say 'dove' ... but I try hard to be a good American :)

Actually, turning "dive" into a weak verb is a British innovation—the American usage is, as in most cases, conservative. (I get kind of the same reaction seeing someone who's not a toothless hillbilly say "et" for "ate"—for an example going the opposite direction.)

"Had ran" is just wrong. Presumably a typo. I'm surprised you've seen it actually used. The internet-only term that always slays me is "whinge" for "whine". Where does this come from? Does it rhyme with "hinge"? Inquiring minds want to know....

Not sure that's correct - in Old English "dive" was a weak verb. It has sort of bucked the general trend in becoming strong - mostly an American English evolution.

"Whinge" is a well-known British term for incessant complaining.
  • Reply 143 of 429
    Actually, turning "dive" into a weak verb is a British innovation—the American usage is, as in most cases, conservative. (I get kind of the same reaction seeing someone who's not a toothless hillbilly say "et" for "ate"—for an example going the opposite direction.)

"Had ran" is just wrong. Presumably a typo. I'm surprised you've seen it actually used. The internet-only term that always slays me is "whinge" for "whine". Where does this come from? Does it rhyme with "hinge"? Inquiring minds want to know....

I've actually heard some Brits pronounce "whinge" (rhymes with "hinge"). It's awkward. As awkward as a literal pronunciation of "maths".

"Whinge" is common in both spoken and written form. Doesn't seen at all awkward to me, but then neither does "maths". Probably just a function of the language you grow up with.
  • Reply 144 of 429
    amoradala wrote: »
    "Whinge" isn't just a spelling variant of "whine." "Whinge" and "whine" are actually entirely different words with separate histories. "Whine" traces to an Old English verb, "hwinan," which means "to make a humming or whirring sound." When "hwinan" became "whinen"in Middle English, it meant "to wail distressfully"; "whine" didn't acquire its "complain" sense until the 16th century. "Whinge," on the other hand, comes from a different Old English verb, "hwinsian," which means "to wail or moan discontentedly." "Whinge" retains that original sense today, though nowadays it puts less emphasis on the sound of the complaining and more on the discontentment behind the complaint.

I had one schoolteacher who was able to speak in Middle English. Old English looks like it would be murder on the mouth and tongue.
  • Reply 145 of 429
    Spot on editorial on a fine product.
  • Reply 146 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I love Apple, but...

Firstly, .....

Secondly, ....

Thirdly, ....

Fourthly, .....

Finally, ....

And in nearly every case, there have been counter-arguments. The keynote video problems and iOS 8.0.1 problems are the only two massively inexcusable incidents. The pre-order delays were due to MASSIVE demand that no company could logistically manage – 10 million strong. And if you want a 4 inch phone, Apple still sells one of those. Go buy one. :)

• Reply 147 of 429
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member

Yep whinge rhymes with and sounds like hinge, very common UK English phrase, not internet only at all. So not used in USA I gather? I am continuing to learn American English as best I can but actually dropping words seems a shame. They have subtlety different 'feelings' when used. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

As to dived vs dove, as I say, I accept what is considered 'correct' in the USA as the way to go, it is just hard to change after half a life time. There is a good note on the history at the Grammarist site: http://grammarist.com/usage/dove-dived/
  • Reply 148 of 429
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Why not write an article in a month or so looking at the sales figures before and after BendGate? That would at least base it on facts.

Great idea, so when it fails to sell 10 millions in the first few days after bendgate, we will all now that caused that!

• Reply 149 of 429
    rpt wrote: »
    Great idea, so when it fails to sell 10 millions in the first few days after bendgate, we will all now that caused that!

LOL

But whatever ... I'd say Apple should sue the little sh!t that made the fake video for every $ he made from hits on YouTube and more for damages.
  • Reply 150 of 429
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

One oddity stands out tho. CR found the iPhone 6 and HTC both permanently deformed at the same pressure, 70 lbs. image

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Coincidence or similar design intent.

Just to reiterate.

Deformation without loss of function isn't the same as deformation with loss of function. If a device is bent and is still functional, at least the owner has use of the phone until it is replaced. This was not part of the test but it is substantially the failure mode, and I'm certain that engineers designing these devices attempt to provide functionality even in a case failure.

• Reply 151 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenu for him.  I think the guy is pretty happy with its video.

Regarding the legitimacy of the video, the guy made another video on the street with a brand new phone and he bend it with ease. After seeing this I think Apple should halt production and redesign it before too many are made. Its also obvious the guy knows exactly where the weak spot is, which is not in the middle of the phone.

I posted yesterday; the weak spot is the great big Apple logo shaped cut-out hole in the aluminum body. (Duh)

Grab the iPhone; put your Thumb on the Apple window hole; and push…  (Duh)

That's not going to be the failure point in that bending mode. The axis in question is parallel to the back plate, so that plate provides very little rigidity. The resistance to that bending mode is provided by the structural components orthogonal to the axis - the sides of the phone and the internal reinforcing struts.

I don't know what the hell you just said.

The weakest point (section, technically) is where there is the least amount of metal.

Draw a line across the body, from (roughly) volume button cut-out to sleep button cut-out (running right across the giant Apple logo cut-out), and presto… Weakest part of the body.

"Sides of the phone" are weakest where I have just described them.

Not sure what you are referring to as "internal reinforcing struts". If you are talking about the longitudinal "ridges" carved into the case? They all end (fail) at the logo cutout. Weakest part of the body

• Reply 152 of 429
    I had one schoolteacher who was able to speak in Middle English. Old English looks like it would be murder on the mouth and tongue.

I am having horrible flash backs to sitting exams on the Canterbury Tales ...
  • Reply 153 of 429
    I voted with my pocketbook and ordered two 6 pluses yesterday.
  • Reply 154 of 429

That last one is a funny one ...

It must be 'mathematic' I assume that is abbreviated to get math ... ;)
  • Reply 155 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

These Apple bashing attacks are simply techno-politics, and like any form of politics there is always an intention by the few to shape and control the beliefs of the many. It's tribal warfare in the 21st century, for technology geeks and people who want to cash in on their clumsy and unbridled technology fueled fervor. Humans are inherently tribal and now that things like crusades and world wars have generally fallen out of favor, we have to resort to other more fashionable and less messy forms of warfare and conquest like politics and sports to satisfy our innate desire to control and oppress those we deem as less worthy than ourselves and our tribe. By its very nature we not only celebrate the success of our tribe but also the failures of our adversary, even if we didn't have a hand in in their missteps. We simply hate them because they are not us.

I think a lot of these political battles could be avoided if people paused, took a step back, surveyed their immediate vicinity, took stock of the real people in their lives, and thought about themselves and their own lives and contributions and relationships rather than trying to live vicariously through others. Once you get caught up in tribal warfare and politics you've surrendered your own uniqueness, free will and thought, and personal freedom and are simply a drone under someone else's control. You become blind to the truth and incapable of objectivity and critical thinking.

Like any battle there are always two sides to the story. All I would ask is that all you free thinkers out there, and you know who you are, simply observe the events of the past week or so and analyze the objective data, points, counterpoints, responses, and reactions of the parties involved before you draw your own conclusions. Try not to get drawn into the hysteria and tribal mentality and mob reaction that always surrounds events that have been deemed to have high political significance. Be yourself, think for yourself, unleash your intellect, and refuse to be a drone. 

Thanks for an interesting view, but I think you are wrong. The iPhone is probably the most valuable industrial product in the world, and I believe that the attacks we see are are not random nor based on impulse or simple reflexes, but really  based on the fact that changing the sales of a product that valuable only slightly has real financial impact.

• Reply 156 of 429
    I voted with my pocketbook and ordered two 6 pluses yesterday.

So ... your are getting a 12? :D
  • Reply 157 of 429

One for my wife :-)

• Reply 158 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Why was the author of this article so threatened he felt the need to write this questionable article?

The real question is why are trolls like you always so threatened by hearing the truth, and reading factual information in articles???

You cannot rationally dispute the facts presented in this article (except in your own mind). That is the nature of "reality". You either learn and accept reality and truth, or you can ignore it (as you apparently do) and live in your fantasy world.

(?° ??°)

• Reply 159 of 429
    One for my wife :-)

Good for you. I will no doubt get my wife one for Christmas but I do this every year and get her cast off ... so it's a 5s for me this year ... YAY!
  • Reply 160 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LOL

But whatever ... I'd say Apple should sue the little sh!t that made the fake video for every $ he made from hits on YouTube and more for damages.

I sincerely doubt that this was just a little sh!t trying to make a few bucks. Given the overall amounts of money involved in changing the sales of the iPhone just slightly, I believe this was a part of an organized sear campaign, which is also what I believe the antenna gate was. Of course I have no idea who could possibly be behind it.