Europeans wary of smartwatch e-wallets, Americans & Chinese more open ahead of Apple Watch launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    pmz wrote: »
    I still remember people writing checks at the supermarket. However, I can't remember the last time I saw someone do that. 

The same thing will be true of swiping cards within 5 years.

I only ever see someone writing a check in a supermarket when I am in a hurry and I picked the shortest line. It's always the person in front of me in line. The same person usually has to ask for them to change something ... or wants to sign up fro some new card or something.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    sflagel wrote: »
    UK

Can you blame them for being untrusting of change in the UK? Look at the history. They explore, find a new continent, fight wars for hundreds of years to finally totally own it ... only to have their own settlers mutiny and steal it! ;)
  • Reply 23 of 114
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzare View Post

Europe wary of change period. Stuck in the past.

Not sure if serious

• Reply 24 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No. You've had the same that the US has had. And likewise, no one has ever used it, because of a lack of an organized system. That is about to start changing for good.

Really!  Below are the statistics for contactless payments in the UK for the month of June 2014

48.3m contactless cards have been issued that can be used to make a contactlesspayment. These cards are split between debit (28.8m) and credit / charge cards (19.5m). This is an increase of 4.3% on the previous month and 39.9% over the year.

£158.5m was spent in the UK in June using a contactless card. This is an increase of 7.8% on the previous month and 238.3% over the year. The value is split between debit(£138.3m) and credit / charge cards (£20.2m).

23.8m contactless transactions were made this month. This is an increase of 7.1% on the previous month and 225.8% over the year. The volume is split between debit(£20.7m) and credit / charge cards (£3.2m).

190,642 bank-owned terminals are available in the UK where contactless cardholders can make a contactless transaction. This is an increase of 1.3% on the previous month and 18.6% over the year.

On average, each contactless transaction is for £6.65. This is split £6.69 on a debit cardand £6.41 on a credit / charge card.

On average, each bank-owned terminal has processed 125 transactions and taken £831.

The truth is that the UK is well down the line for contactless payments and no doubt ApplePay when it is available in the UK will continue the trend.

• Reply 25 of 114
    Originally Posted by Tinker15 View Post
    Really!  Below are the statistics for contactless payments in the UK for the month of June 2014

48.3m contactless cards have been issued that can be used to make a contactlesspayment. These cards are split between debit (28.8m) and credit / charge cards (19.5m). This is an increase of 4.3% on the previous month and 39.9% over the year.

• £158.5m was spent in the UK in June using a contactless card. This is an increase of 7.8% on the previous month and 238.3% over the year. The value is split between debit(£138.3m) and credit / charge cards (£20.2m).

• 23.8m contactless transactions were made this month. This is an increase of 7.1% on the previous month and 225.8% over the year. The volume is split between debit(£20.7m) and credit / charge cards (£3.2m).

• 190,642 bank-owned terminals are available in the UK where contactless cardholders can make a contactless transaction. This is an increase of 1.3% on the previous month and 18.6% over the year.

• On average, each contactless transaction is for £6.65. This is split £6.69 on a debit cardand £6.41 on a credit / charge card.

• On average, each bank-owned terminal has processed 125 transactions and taken £831.

The truth is that the UK is well down the line for contactless payments and no doubt ApplePay when it is available in the UK will continue the trend.

And here’s a clean quote because people who design websites are often complete idiots.

• Reply 26 of 114
    tinker15 wrote: »

£158.5m was spent in the UK in June using a contactless card. This is an increase of 7.8% on the previous month and 238.3% over the year. The value is split between debit(£138.3m) and credit / charge cards (£20.2m).

23.8m contactless transactions were made this month. This is an increase of 7.1% on the previous month and 225.8% over the year. The volume is split between debit(£20.7m) and credit / charge cards (£3.2m).

190,642 bank-owned terminals are available in the UK where contactless cardholders can make a contactless transaction. This is an increase of 1.3% on the previous month and 18.6% over the year.

On average, each contactless transaction is for £6.65. This is split £6.69 on a debit cardand £6.41 on a credit / charge card.

On average, each bank-owned terminal has processed 125 transactions and taken £831.

Hey glad to my home county has the internet! :)

BTW I liked the dots!
  • Reply 27 of 114
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

NIH Syndrome

• Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey glad to my home county has the internet! image

BTW I liked the dots!

You've been away too long! :-)

• Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

From what I understand, lots of Europe is in a cash economy.  Paperwork is such a hassle for tax evaders..

I am always surprised that people say "still" pay with cash. What is wrong with cash? It doesn't weigh anything, it is easy to manage, you know exactly how much you are paying, you don't let 100's of people know your name, address, and where you shop for what; it does not require a third and fourth party to execute the payment, etc.  In any case, there are many things Europeans fall well behind the US (average income, size of houses, obesity, road deaths, murders, police brutality, police highway "civil forfeiture" robbery, incarcerations, health costs, child mortality rate, income distribution, average time spent watching TV, CO2 emissions, and killing people in distant countries for no reason come to mind), but banking is not one of them.

• Reply 30 of 114
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

From what I understand, lots of Europe is in a cash economy.  Paperwork is such a hassle for tax evaders..

I was just in Ireland a week ago and had absolutely no problem using a credit card absolutely everywhere. 

That said, I was warned in advance that I should have a chip in my card as they don't have the magnetic stripe readers anymore. This was B.S. If I'd had a chip I'd have had few chances to use it as all the terminals were (just like in the US) stripe readers.

I find it hard to believe that Germany is significantly behind Ireland in adoption of technology but I guess it could be true. I don't recall having trouble using a credit card in Germany when I was there 10 years ago though...

• Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

What is wrong with cash? It doesn't weigh anything

In most countries, you no longer have 1- or 2-(unit) bills. Canada, the EU, etc. all use coins for their 1's and 2's. Those do weigh something; quite a bit in fact. And they scratch any e-devices you have in your pocket with them. Like you, I prefer paper money. 

• Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

A last note to my above post:

The tax authorities are quite vigilant here, and the do come to your place of business (every few years) or home (less often) to check up on you. They will ask for receipts of things in your home or business and then add it up to see if you have spent more than you were making officially to be able to afford the items. I'm talking from experience, as I was audited twice within a couple of years. Funny enough, the poor agent lost money (they have incentives), because I was actually returning too much VAT on sales of my artwork overseas. I keep meticulous books and have done so for 30+ years. For me it's the only way to visualize when you have to switch course when the "bezier curve" is going the wrong way. image

In Germany, the tax man regularly counted the pizza boxes at the local take out to make sure not more pizzas were sold than declared!

• Reply 33 of 114
    First of all, the UK does not have a ID card system. Not even a dumb system. The last government was trying to force it in. However they had to back down.

For most part Europe has chip'n'pin. So paying in a restaurant, the waiter brings the portable card reader to you and then you have to type in your PIN number. This makes the system very secure and quick.

To be honest by the time you take your phone out, select the card, and the touch ID has to handshake with the terminal is going to longer then typing in the PIN.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

May I ask where you are in Europe? Here in Germany I haven't ran across a "contactless card" of any kind. Debit cards must be inserted into a terminal, pulled out then a PIN typed in. Sometimes they are signed in rare occurrences that the terminal or connection is problematic. Some small businesses don't have terminals.... but it is rare these days.

True, Contactless has not yet caught on in Germany, but it will. Chip & PIN is widely accepted though (it even recognises my UK card and adjusts the language on the terminal accordingly).

• Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No duh.

So backwards and behind the times.  Most Euro's still pay bills by check or cash.

Europeans haven't paid bills by cheque since the 70s. Banks stopped giving cheques to current account holders in the early 90s.

• Reply 36 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

I am always surprised that people say "still" pay with cash. What is wrong with cash? It doesn't weigh anything, it is easy to manage, you know exactly how much you are paying, you don't let 100's of people know your name, address, and where you shop for what; it does not require a third and fourth party to execute the payment, etc.  In any case, there are many things Europeans fall well behind the US (obesity, road deaths, murders, incarcerations, health costs, child mortality rate, income distribution, average time spent watching TV, CO2 emissions, fossil fuel burn rate, and number of civilians killed in overseas countries for no reason come to mind), but banking is not one of them.

And with a couple more well publicized security breaches and cash will get more popular not less. A secure Applke pay will have an effect on that, but over time. I know I'm sick of having my credit card account changed for an "unnamed vendor alert" over and over again....

• Reply 37 of 114
    gwydion wrote: »
    Not sure if serious

Just look at what Finland's prime priminister said yesterday....
  • Reply 38 of 114
    As macca said, the UK has no identity cards.

Otherwise, this article makes sense.

China is Cook's big baby, so I can see why he made the 6 Plus and the ?Watch, two products that seems to be much more popular in the Orient than in the West.

It would make sense for Apple to relocate to China and become Chinese with Cook in charge, as that seems to be the market he has the most time for.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macca View Post

To be honest by the time you take your phone out, select the card, and the touch ID has to handshake with the terminal is going to longer then typing in the PIN.

If the card swipe works. Depending on the card reader, my card has to sometimes be swiped 2 or 3 times to work. With most it works fine on the 1st swipe so I think the card is fine; some readers suck, especially the cheap ones (Square is especially bad.)

• Reply 40 of 114
    sflagel wrote: »
    True, Contactless has not yet caught on in Germany, but it will. Chip & PIN is widely accepted though (it even recognises my UK card and adjusts the language on the terminal accordingly).

I still think that decision is in the bank's hands and not the retailer's.... and certainly regardless of what WE the account holders want. The banks have an iron grip on what goes on around these parts.... that I can also attest to a statement of fact and experience (although I love mine... really... hear that KSK? :D )