iPhone 6 & 6 Plus demand exceeding supply, iPhone 5s selling well as Apple dominates smartphone sale

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As to this time next year -- I suspect that all Apple iPhones offered will be Apple Pay enabled (regardless of size).

I posted earlier that there are 20 million iPhone 6/6+ pre orders in China. It is worth noting that major credit cards are accepted in major cities, malls, hotels, etc. in China -- likely, the places frequented by tourists, business travelers and affluent Chinese citizens.

I wonder what the impact of enabling Apple Pay in China will be ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As to this time next year -- I suspect that all Apple iPhones offered will be Apple Pay enabled (regardless of size).

All Apple iPhones offered CURRENTLY are ApplePay-enabled, according to the keynote.

• Reply 42 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It does, but maybe they will see a need for a 4" device with updated internals to make up the mid-tier next year.

or not...5S may just stay as it is and be phased out after next year as lowest tier. Mid-tier, which one? There're 4 tiers now. I assume you meant the third tier ($99 on contract) which will be iPhone 6 next year. 2nd tier ($199...) will be the new iPhone 6S and maybe 6C (rebadge of 6+ with polycarbonate chassis) and 1st tier ($299...) will be the new iPhone 6+. I don't see how new 4" device would be in next year logistics:

1. 5S = free on contract

2. 6 = $99

3. 6S/6C (rebade of 6+) = $199

4. New 6+ or 6+S = $299

• Reply 43 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that’s not how it works. It would’ve been the 5SC this year, but wasn’t. It’ll still be the 5S next year. The 6 falls where the 5S is now.

WHY?! They didn’t do it this year; they’re not going to do it.

Agreed. Why 4" device? Just hold the 6 or put it in the pocket and one should know why 4" will not be in the new design but phased out.

When  Apple rebadge iPhone into C model, it would be at least in second tier so they don't have to discontinue it that fast. I expect it'll be 6C in 5.5", not 4.7" and discontinue the 6+ next year or maybe 6C 4.7" and 6+C 5.5" while discontinue both 6 and 6+. Who knows.

• Reply 44 of 68

I PREDICT!

...there will NEVER BE a 4" iPhone 6

...there will NEVER be an "iPhone 5 with iPhone 6 internals"

Even so, the Android Sisters are leaving ALL YOUR BUCKS on the table, apparently:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470302,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ziffdavis/pcmag/breakingnews+(PCMag.com+Breaking+News)

Under these conditions, Apple can do what it likes...

• Reply 45 of 68

I posted earlier that there are 20 million iPhone 6/6+ pre orders in China. It is worth noting that major credit cards are accepted in major cities, malls, hotels, etc. in China -- likely, the places frequented by tourists, business travelers and affluent Chinese citizens.

I wonder what the impact of enabling Apple Pay in China will be ...
    All Apple iPhones offered CURRENTLY are ApplePay-enabled, according to the keynote.

Not the 5S (no NFC) -- until the Apple Watch availability.
  • Reply 46 of 68

Okay, maybe I mis-heard...

• Reply 47 of 68

Not surprised by this news one bit. I am sure most of us are not. The only people that predict Apple is doomed are the ones that wish for it. They have zero relative analysis to prove that Apple is doomed. I had used Android since 2.1 and as soon as the 6+ was announced, I knew it would be my next device. I have always said about Android users; just because they drive a Daewoo doesn't mean they don't dream of driving a Ferrari. Well I got my Ferrari!

• Reply 48 of 68
    I honestly don't believe the Galaxy S5 was the leader for all carriers for May and June.
  • Reply 49 of 68

The 5S and 5C will only do ?Pay if paired with an Apple Watch.

• Reply 50 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [image]
    The 5S and 5C will only do ?Pay if paired with an Apple Watch.

So the question on my mind has been: Why only the iPhone 5C and 5S and up?

Other iPhones support iOS 8 and Passbook so what is it about the iPhone 5 and older devices that make it not feasible for Apple to include when it could help sell more ?Watches? Neither of them have the Secure Element, and the iPhone 5C doesn't have Touch ID as well as the same A-series chip in the iPhone 5, as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Other iPhones support iOS 8 and Passbook so what is it about the iPhone 5 and older devices that make it not feasible for Apple to include when it could help sell more ?Watches? Neither of them have the Secure Element, and the iPhone 5C doesn't have Touch ID as well as the same A-series chip in the iPhone 5, as far as I can tell.

The limitation is probably with the Blue tooth LE (Low Energy) used in the Apple Watch I guess. It is not present in the 3GS, 4 and 4S. The original blue tooth takes significantly more energy, not good for a watch.

• Reply 52 of 68
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    tmay wrote: »
    Who here would bet that Apple re-engineers the next iPhone to completely eliminate those weak spots? Not saying they need it, just that Apple will figure a way to improve the iPhone structure for next year to put a kibosh on those jokers.

They could just make them explode if they detect deliberate bending. Android phone manufacturers have started doing it to people who buy cheap batteries:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 53 of 68
    I thought Bluetooth low energy came out with the 4s.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Yes, because despite just saving $100, it suggests that many people may actually PREFER the smaller form factor, giving continued hope that a 6 mini will come out next year to replace it, when it gets bumped down to the 5SC.

The 5C format having started at the $100 price point, means that phone only gets 3 years of life/support following its release, rather than the usual 4 years. My feeling is that Apple planned for that when re-designing the 5C which supports both ApplePay and Peer to Peer AirPlay along with the 5S while having lesser features. That should give it an extra year of life after it falls off the free rung next year (i.e. two software updates after it's discontinued instead of one). The 5S should be easily transplantable into the 5C case to give Apple at least one more year of life out of the R&D that went into the 5C like every other iPhone, and giving Apple another year to roll out Apple Pay before needing to include NFC in every phone they make (something which should also be easy to do concealed inside a plastic case.

It should be obvious by now that the 5 was stuffed into a plastic.case in order to give the 4" form factor one more year of full-priced flagship pricing with the introduction of the 5S. Had the 5 continued to be on sale at the $100-off reduced price still in its aluminum shell, the 5S, at the full price, would not have done as well as it did. The plastic case, in addition to costing Apple less to manufacture, was meant to accentuate the differences between the one year old 5 and the new 5S. It did its job superbly, as the 5S results show. This allowed Apple to maintain higher ASPs which pays a dividend even now after the introduction of the 6/6+. It would not have served Apple to have lowered ASP expectations last year by selling more of the one year old 5, which would have been the case had it retained its aluminum shell.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »

Go look at the graphic closer. The 5 is listed. Just nothing earlier.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It should be obvious by now that the 5 was stuffed into a plastic.case in order to give the 4" form factor one more year of full-priced flagship pricing with the introduction of the 5S. Had the 5 continued to be on sale at the $100-off reduced price still in its aluminum shell, the 5S, at the full price, would not have done as well as it did. The plastic case, in addition to costing Apple less to manufacture, was meant to accentuate the differences between the one year old 5 and the new 5S. It did its job superbly, as the 5S results show. This allowed Apple to maintain higher ASPs which pays a dividend even now after the introduction of the 6/6+. It would not have served Apple to have lowered ASP expectations last year by selling more of the one year old 5, which would have been the case had it retained its aluminum shell.

I suspect that Apple was also trying to fork away from the machining requirements, albeit the 5C still gets some, that all of the other iPhone designs were requiring.

Just the current 5S, 6, and 6 plus are probably at over 500,000 units per day through 2015, so having an alternative manufacturing paradigm that supports the mid range market is a great idea, and with the exception of some of the Nokia models, I don't think that there are many other designs that do justice to "plastic" as the 5c.

My expectation is that Apple will continue with a 5c like design for quite some time into the future.

• Reply 57 of 68

I wonder if Google is going to sue Apple for copying the Nexus 4?  http://www.computerworld.com/article/2687612/oh-the-irony-iphone-6-copies-the-nexus-4.html

• Reply 58 of 68
    Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

I wonder if Google is going to sue Apple for copying the Nexus 4?  http://www.computerworld.com/article/2687612/oh-the-irony-iphone-6-copies-the-nexus-4.html

Is any human being really this stupid? Can you be this stupid and still be called human?

• Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is any human being really this stupid? Can you be this stupid and still be called human?

Logically, to batter an opponent's opinion by bludgeoning their intelligence proves quite literally nothing of your own. It takes "human" intelligence to form an argument. It does not require human intelligence to throw insults over a keyboard. If you have an opinion that you feel strongly about, build the courage to defend it properly. 

Bullying adds no credibility to the brand you are defending.

• Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

Google or SameShit or many other copy cats need to actually spend time and design something.  Copying Apple design work and adjusting parameters and throwing it against the wall is not the same as design.

It is public knowledge what android phone were designed before the day iPhone was released and what happened within  a year.  Unless you are paid by the likes of SameShit then you really need stop allowing them to brain wash you.  THINK FOR YOURSELF.  Unless you are the type who buys designer looking bags at corner streets in NYC and claim it to be real.