CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 181 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Whatever. I usually have my phone in my hand at checkout, not my wallet. ApplePay IS about ease of use as well.

I actually despise people with their phone in hand at checkout especially if they are talking or txting on it. Just hang up and pay. If you are delaying the checkout process with your phone preoccupation, the people behind you should flog you.

• Reply 182 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chick View Post

Walgreens here I come. I wonder how many people will take action to avoid retailers who block Apple pay.

I use Rite-Aid for prescriptions and a few medical supplies only.  Actually it's my fathers stuff I'm picking up.  Pay by cash or check.  Don't particularly shop for daily needs and only occasionally might purchase something other than meds.  Never had a receipt with a ton of suggestions or coupons and never been bothered by mailings and never gave my e-mail to places like that when they ask, as I get enough crap already.  So Rite Aid is pretty cool in not harassing me and they have little to go on regarding my purchasing needs.

Would I leave Rite Aid because they disable NFC for Apple Pay.  No.  I shop based on pricing and the distance I have to travel.  For people that are anxious to move over to Walgreens, you might want to al least consider this... wouldn't it irritate CVS more if when you make a purchase, try to use your Apple Pay and when they inform you it's not available but they have their own app, just tell them no thanks, leave the items for CVS staff to restock, and then e-mail CVS CEO regarding disappointment in inability to use Apple Pay, so you didn't buy anything and you went over to Walgreens for your purchases because they accept Apple Pay. 

• Reply 183 of 502
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Although the greed motivating this consortium is misguided, their resistance to Apple Pay is an obstacle nonetheless. I'm certain Apple calculated such speed bumps but its stock will probably take a minor hit Monday on the news.

• Reply 184 of 502
    ibeam wrote: »
    I actually despise people with their phone in hand at checkout especially if they are talking or txting on it. Just hang up and pay. If you are delaying the checkout process with your phone preoccupation, the people behind you should flog you.

It's really sad that you seem to be so angry about so many things.
  • Reply 185 of 502
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Reality: companies don't always do what is best for the customer.
  • Reply 186 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

It's really sad that you seem to be so angry about so many things.

I'm sorry. What am I angry about? I find ignorant offensive rude people objectionable but I'm never angry

• Reply 187 of 502
    Not worth my time. They're going to tax the bejeebers out of me no matter what I do. That's how government works.

US corporate tax revenues at an all-time low as a % of total taxes received, with hundreds of billions of fraudulent tax filings the US Govt isn't taxing the crap out of anyone.

Tax loopholes all need to be closed and large to conglomerate levels need to go up.
  • Reply 188 of 502

Your tangential complaint isn't addressing the person's observation of ease-of-use with Apple pay. You deflected whining about chit chatting by phone users at checkout.
  • Reply 189 of 502
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Used at Walgreen's the other day, and today at Bloomingdales - worked great...

Now to get rid of the other nonsense for frequent shopper phone number, signing the display. Receipts should be stored digitally in the phone as well

Wait, what? You should NOT have to sign any display. You have proven your identity with your Touch ID. Tell them "no" if they try to make you sign anything.

• Reply 190 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Wait, what? You should NOT have to sign any display. You have proven your identity with your Touch ID. Tell them "no" if they try to make you sign anything.

Those on screen signatures mean nothing. You could sign ISIS or XXX.com nobody checks that.

• Reply 191 of 502
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

?Pay is about better security not ease of use.

Simply untrue. Did you read the article? It clearly outlines how many more steps there are to using CurrentC vs. Apple Pay. Yes, security is also quite important, but don't claim they're both just as easy to use as each other.

• Reply 192 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Simply untrue. Did you read the article? It clearly outlines how many more steps there are to using CurrentC vs. Apple Pay. Yes, security is also quite important, but don't claim they're both just as easy to use as each other.

Yeah probably true about Current C, I was thinking compared to regular CC

• Reply 193 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two major U.S. drugstores have turned off their NFC payment terminals to stop Apple Pay transactions in an effort to make their own "CurrentC" app-based payment system--which is designed to collect and track information on their customers--the only option, even though it's not actually finished yet.

CurrentC app

U.S. drugstore chains CVS and Rite Aid initially supported Apple Pay--at least unofficially--because both chains had installed NFC payment terminals years ago to work with Google Wallet and other specially designed credit cards supporting NFC tap-to-pay transactions. Google's NFC-based Wallet never took off however.

When Apple launched iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay support earlier this month, customers found that iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus could not only make NFC purchases among Apple's launch partners (including Walgreens, McDonalds, Whole Foods, Macys and a couple dozen other major retailers and restaurants) but also at virtually any existing NFC payment terminal, including the thousands of locations set up by Google Wallet years ago. A series of retailers are opposed to the success of Apple Pay because the new system keeps user's transactions private and doesn't collect or track their purchasing history, providing the store with little more than the funds to cover the sale

However, a series of retailers are opposed to the success of Apple Pay because the new system keeps user's transactions private and doesn't collect or track their purchasing history, providing the store with little more than the funds to cover the sale.

Some retailers, including Best Buy, appear to have removed their NFC terminals, while CVS and Rite Aid have turned them off to disable customers from using Apple Pay (turning off NFC also prevents Google Wallet from working).

CVS and Rite Aid belong to a consortium of retailers, led by Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart and 7 Eleven, that has been working since 2012 on CurrentC, a plan to enable payments through a mobile app. Rather than replicating Apple Pay's "fingerprint and tap," the CurrentC app for iOS and Android will require users to launch the app at checkout. The app will then produce a QR bar code that retailers have to scan.

Similar to Google's newer version of Wallet using Host Card Emulation rather than a Secure Element, CurrentC will also require users to have data service while using the app. Apple Pay does not.

Can't wait for the mobile payments app from the company that designed this receipt. pic.twitter.com/nBLbBs7Z4U

— Dan Frommer (@fromedome)

The CurrentC app is already available to download from the iOS App Store, although its description notes "CurrentC is invite-only at the moment. But sign up, and we'll put you on the list!" The app currently has no user reviews.

The app description states that "with CurrentC you'll be able to use your phone to pay for things through your checking account, and select merchant gift cards, credit and debit accounts. Add your existing merchant program rewards accounts and you'll continue earning loyalty points and rewards with every purchase. It'll help you keep track of all your receipts and make returns easier. And in the not-so-distant future, it'll even carry all your coupons and deliver exclusive offers to help you save.

"CurrentC processes every transaction across multiple secure checkpoints--each meeting or exceeding industry security standards. Sensitive financial data is never stored on your phone or shared during a merchant transaction--so you can pay with peace of mind."

Rather than working with users' existing credit cards, the QR code will debit the user's checking account or a configured gift card or cards issued under the program. Apple Pay was expressly designed to work with existing banks and accounts in order to allow users to continue to earn the reward points, airline miles or other perks they already do.

Additionally, a series of major retailers have reported massive leaks of customer data and account information, creating poor timing for CurrentC's launch with assurances that "you can pay with peace of mind," given that users' transaction data will be collected and stored by the retailers' consortium.

CurrentC hopes to have its barcode app ready to use by early next year. But some of its partners are blocking already Apple Pay in the hope that users will set up new accounts to continue shopping with them. In addition to gaining access to more data on their customers, CurrentC also wants to avoid the transaction costs of conventional credit cards by directly making payments that bypass banks.

Addressing the subject, John Gruber of Daring Fireball wrote, "I don't know that CVS and Rite Aid disabling Apple Pay out of spite is going to drive customers to switch pharmacies (Walgreens is an Apple Pay partner), but I do know that CurrentC is unlikely to ever gain any traction whatsoever."

Boycott CVS & Rite Aid

Apple pay is the quickest, fastest, most secure and easiest form of paying for an item in a store I have seen. I do not agree with these stores that are now disabling their NFC systems to not accept Apple Pay. I think they are cutting off their respective nose's to spite their face.

(1) Apple pay would drastically reduce time spent in line. Because every time I have used Apple pay so far in the 6 days since it's initiation it only took 2 seconds max to get an approval and a receipt on apple pay.

(2) It is not good business sense to piss off your customers.

(3) Since the majority of I-Phone 6 and 6+ owners usually have a higher buying power. These merchants will be left with only the poor patronizing their stores.

(4) It however, seems that they are mostly after the poor with the adaptation of the MCX or CurrentC system they want to utilize. Since this will give them direct access to peoples bank accounts. I'll be damned if I will give them access to my account.

(4) It would not be so bad if their current system did not allow for the use of Apple Pay. However it does because it is the NFC system. Both CVS and Rite Aid's system accepted payments by way of Apple pay for the first three days of this week. Now to willfully disconnect the machines from the NFC system to me is malicious. This shows little disregard for their clients and prospective clients. (Their machines now say " We do not accept Apple Pay") That had to be programmed into the machines.

I think Apple and Google should deny them the use of their platform for the CurrentC

I am suggesting a boycott of these two stores. Since I know for certain they accepted apple pay and then and now refusing. It is a simple and easy boycott see link http://youtu.be/9ZHusVNa1_A

• Reply 194 of 502
    Buy from Walgreens!
  • Reply 195 of 502

Apple pay is the quickest, fastest, most secure and easiest form of paying for an item in a store I have seen. I do not agree with these stores that are now disabling their NFC systems to not accept Apple Pay. I think they are cutting off their respective nose's to spite their face.

(1) Apple pay would drastically reduce time spent in line. Because every time I have used Apple pay so far in the 6 days since it's initiation it only took 2 seconds max to get an approval and a receipt on apple pay.

(2) It is not good business sense to piss off your customers.

(3) Since the majority of I-Phone 6 and 6+ owners usually have a higher buying power. These merchants will be left with only the poor patronizing their stores.

(4) It however, seems that they are mostly after the poor with the adaptation of the MCX or CurrentC system they want to utilize. Since this will give them direct access to peoples bank accounts. I'll be damned if I will give them access to my account.

(4) It would not be so bad if their current system did not allow for the use of Apple Pay. However it does because it is the NFC system. Both CVS and Rite Aid's system accepted payments by way of Apple pay for the first three days of this week. Now to willfully disconnect the machines from the NFC system to me is malicious. This shows little disregard for their clients and prospective clients. (Their machines now say " We do not accept Apple Pay") That had to be programmed into the machines.

I am suggesting a boycott of these two stores. Since I know for certain they accepted apple pay and then and now refusing. It is a simple and easy boycott see link http://youtu.be/9ZHusVNa1_A

• Reply 196 of 502

I purchased an HP Color Laser Printer over two years ago still working just fine and still using the original toner that came with it, they are getting very low will have to replace all 4 toners very soon. So all is all I think the HP I have turned out to be very well built.

• Reply 197 of 502
    Dumb. One is not so much more difficult than the other, I see people swiping away at every store without a frown on their face because it is so tedious and tiresome. Get over it! ?Pay is about better security not ease of use.

Trollin down the river!
  • Reply 198 of 502

Great list! Much appreciated that you shared this... printing now!  Twitter here I come!

• Reply 199 of 502

I can tell you as a victim of both the Target and Home Depot Security Breaches I will not ever give my Bank account direct data to these clowns.

Its bad enough that they negligently gave up my debit card numbers in both cases and cause me to have to change them not once but twice. Then to ask me to trust them with my account number lol!  Yeah Right thats not going to happen.  If they will not support Apple Pay a very secure way of making transactions and are outrightly opposing it with a very insecure way, and fighting against it to avoid card charges and to collect info about me  they can kiss my butt.  There track record with my data so far is very sub par. With there past history (the many security breaches) I will never trust a merchant run payment system and hope that any merchant that does quickly either learns this is a bad idea  or goes out of business.  Because they certainly don't deserve mine.

• Reply 200 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

p.s.  and their action just now also killed PayPass/paywave transactions too as those rely on NFC.

How stupid can you get, when your "even better" system is not yet available.

Well isn't that interesting.  That means chip and pin won't work either.  In october 2015 they will become responsible for any fraudulent behavior because of the disabling of Paypass/paywave, because this is chip and pin.  The government just implemented that plan.  Good luck with there Merchant Exchange system.