President Bill Clinton, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella & others praise Apple CEO Tim Cook for publicly

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

There's a huge difference between coming out in support of political ideologies and coming out in support of human rights causes.  The former is usually done to advance one's personal agenda, whereas the latter is usually done for the benefit of others.

Oh, my. Nothing is done for the benefit of others. Every decision we make and action we take comes from self-interest, even those that may be identified as "enlightened self-interest". I could argue you that six ways to Sunday.

For a person whose financial needs are well met, like Tim Cook, what is left? "Truth", "self-actualization" and the respect of his peers.

• Reply 122 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What about if Tim Cook said he was a member of a Tea Party group? Would liberals and progressives denounce Apple?

I know that the founder of Whole Foods (John Mackey) has strong political opinions and that has earned Whole Foods the wrath of liberals/progressives. In fact, he was told by his board to shut up about it when he's in the public eye.

Tim Cook comes out and there is a collective "meh" from conservatives. The (former) CEO of Mozilla comes out in support of traditional marriage and he's rut out of his job, forced to leave. I'm sorry but the liberals are some of the least tolerant people I know. But so long as gays and gay rights supports are able to wrap their cause under the banner of "human rights" it's impossible for anyone to have a different viewpoint without being branded a hater and a bigot.

Precisely.

Sadly, we live in a world of intolerant liberals. You might as well call it 1984:

Sin=good. Good=bad.

• Reply 123 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Precisely.

Sadly, we live in a world of intolerant liberals. You might as well call it 1984:

Sin=good. Good=bad.

I'm a big proponent of the "do no harm" philosophy, freedom of choice and ownership of oneself. "Sin" doesn't enter the equation.

• Reply 124 of 162
    Quote:

Quote:

Precisely.

Sin=good. Good=bad.

I'm a big proponent of the "do no harm" philosophy, freedom of choice and ownership of oneself. "Sin" doesn't enter the equation.

Ha!

You might as well say that you're in favour of humanity being humanity.

But you're right: sin doesn't enter the equation for far too many people, sadly.

• Reply 125 of 162
    Quote:

Ha!

You might as well say that you're in favour of humanity being humanity.

But you're right: sin doesn't enter the equation for far too many people, sadly.

"Sin" does not enter my equation. I don't speak for anyone else.

• Reply 126 of 162
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Still waiting for the Samsung announcement

• Reply 127 of 162
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hey I'm proud to be a straight woman and think that was God's gift to me. Will Bill Clinton send me a tweet? image

His past would seem to indicate he might just "enjoy a cigar" on your behalf.  ;)

• Reply 128 of 162

How about coming out as a vilified minority, like Republican in a city where Democrats are considered right wing?

• Reply 129 of 162

Dear Mr. Cook,

I don't care what you do with your body parts.

Please keep making great products.

sincerely,

Me

• Reply 130 of 162
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

I guarantee once half the country hears about Bill Clinton and Nancy Pelosi praising Tim Cook, they will rethink their Apple purchases.

Are you part of that 50%? What country are you talking about...fantasyland?

• Reply 131 of 162
    Quote:

Here's the thing, it is very difficult to change the Constitution and that is for solid historical reasons. It cannot, nor should it be, subject to the whims of politicians attempting to curry favor with the electorate.

I also trust Apple more than either public servants or the government in general. At least Apple can be punished by investors if they make bad decisions. Not so with government.

Yeah, they can in several ways...one is called voting.

• Reply 132 of 162
    splif wrote: »

Yeah, they can in several ways...one is called voting.

Voting reinforces the notion there are only two parties to vote for and it's impossible to get rid of either.
  • Reply 133 of 162
    splif wrote: »

Are you part of that 50%? What country are you talking about...fantasyland?

Who are you, again?
  • Reply 134 of 162
    Quote:

Who are you, again?

Who are you?

• Reply 135 of 162
    Quote:

Voting reinforces the notion there are only two parties to vote for and it's impossible to get rid of either.

So what's the solution?

• Reply 136 of 162
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

So what's the solution?

Not not voting, that’s for sure.

The solution is to educate people on the proper administration of a republican government. So many people think that the United States is a democracy that it should horrify anyone paying attention.

• Reply 137 of 162
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

As a stock holder of AAPL if it cause a drop in sales and therefore trade value its not worth it. He has a fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders to keep his personal deals out of the business of the companies.

Although his orientation doesn't matter to me there are numerous places/countries in this world where you can be executed or imprisoned for this behavior (in fact there was just an article about selling iPhones in Iran). Do you think in these totalitarian countries they are going to say 'sure we understand it's just one of those things that westerners do'? I rather doubt it.

As a stock holder of AAPL if it cause a drop in sales and therefore trade value, then that is a financial loss I would gladly bare. Some things are more important than the thickness of my wallet.

• Reply 138 of 162
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Ugly thread, owned by the benighted ones.

Apple is in the business of raising consciousness, always has been from the very beginning. The founder was inspired by a fellow acid-tripper, Leary associate, mostly gay philosopher, Richard Alpert, author of "Be Here Now," which was a guide to using the expanded consciousness afforded by mind-manifesting substances like LSD and psilocybin.

The problem with most of you who can't accept Tim's and Apple's stance on "human rights BS'" as Rogifan put it, your problem is that you haven't moved your consciousness beyond where the world was in 1963. You are virgins, in Steve Jobs's words. You haven't paid your respects to Nature and the Way Things Are, the Tao, by taking your medicine, your sacrament, your communion with reality. All life is beautiful if you are open to it.

Think. Why did Jony Ive wonder about "the guys in California who made the Mac" after the first time he used one when he was in design school, going through a crisis of despair having failed to master the PC (which had been made by virgins like yourselves). The Mac embodied the vision of its makers that all people should be empowered by this machine, all people no matter who they were. If you read Andy Hertzfeld and John Markoff on those early years with this mandate of inclusiveness in mind, you should be forced to conclude that the Apple computer business is founded on an overt recognition that all people are different and will want to get different things from the machine as a result.

The reason the products from this company are so beautiful is because they follow this mandate. They must appeal to all people. Tim is laser focused on Apple's mission with his message. It's you guys (and gals) who are distracted. You think Apple is a tech company. That shows how far off you are.

It's a global consciousness company, the first in history.
  • Reply 139 of 162
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ugly thread, owned by the benighted ones.

Apple is in the business of raising consciousness, always has been from the very beginning. The founder was inspired by a fellow acid-tripper, Leary associate, mostly gay philosopher, Richard Alpert, author of "Be Here Now," which was a guide to using the expanded consciousness afforded by mind-manifesting substances like LSD and psilocybin.

The problem with most of you who can't accept Tim's and Apple's stance on "human rights BS'" as Rogifan put it, your problem is that you haven't moved your consciousness beyond where the world was in 1963. You are virgins, in Steve Jobs's words. You haven't paid your respects to Nature and the Way Things Are, the Tao, by taking your medicine, your sacrament, your communion with reality. All life is beautiful if you are open to it.

Think. Why did Jony Ive wonder about "the guys in California who made the Mac" after the first time he used one when he was in design school, going through a crisis of despair having failed to master the PC (which had been made by virgins like yourselves). The Mac embodied the vision of its makers that all people should be empowered by this machine, all people no matter who they were. If you read Andy Hertzfeld and John Markoff on those early years with this mandate of inclusiveness in mind, you should be forced to conclude that the Apple computer business is founded on an overt recognition that all people are different and will want to get different things from the machine as a result.

The reason the products from this company are so beautiful is because they follow this mandate. They must appeal to all people. Tim is laser focused on Apple's mission with his message. It's you guys (and gals) who are distracted. You think Apple is a tech company. That shows how far off you are.

It's a global consciousness company, the first in history.

Now I know the cause of global warming.
  • Reply 140 of 162
    Quote:

Now I know the cause of global warming.

You only just found out? :???: