'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 581 of 650
    It appears that AAPL and the stock market in general has survived yesterday's bump in the road ...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/10/30/Optimistic-Fed-stops-buying-bonds-to-aid-economy/3181414646385/

Also worth noting that there is typically a lot of AAPL price volatility around the time of dividends:
    [LIST]
    [*] 11/10/14 - AAPL ExDiv
    [*] 11/13/14 - AAPL Dividend
    [*]
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 582 of 650
    New beginning for you?

'Y' the hell not? I am my content, not my post count.

"SolipsismY"? Is someone trolling Soli?

I doubt a troll would even notice the effort I put into formatting my posts, even when it comes to something as simple as a hyperlink.
  • Reply 583 of 650
    It appears that AAPL and the stock market in general has survived yesterday's bump in the road ...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/10/30/Optimistic-Fed-stops-buying-bonds-to-aid-economy/3181414646385/

Also worth noting that there is typically a lot of AAPL price volatility around the time of dividends:
    • 11/10/14 - AAPL ExDiv
    • 11/13/14 - AAPL Dividend

I still cannot understand the logic behind the stock ownership dates with regard to dividends. Why not only issue dividends to stockholders who hold the stock for three months, for example? Is there a legal requirement behind these short time requirements?
  • Reply 584 of 650

• 11/10/14 - AAPL ExDiv
    • 11/13/14 - AAPL Dividend

I still cannot understand the logic behind the stock ownership dates with regard to dividends. Why not only issue dividends to stockholders who hold the stock for three months, for example? Is there a legal requirement behind these short time requirements?

See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-dividend_date
  • Reply 585 of 650
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Report it, and if Marvin sees that it doesn’t register as being his computers he’ll delete the account.

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I doubt a troll would even notice the effort I put into formatting my posts, even when it comes to something as simple as a hyperlink.

WAIT WHAT WHY.

• Reply 586 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Less social policy, more tech policy. Great you are gay... Now tell me why a roadmap for homekit development is not a bigger discussion.

When he starts talking about being gay incessantly, then you can worry about it ... until then I really don't think writing one letter is going to distract him from his work. On the contrary, I assume he decided to clear the air about this issue so it would be less distracting moving forward.

• Reply 587 of 650
    solipsismy wrote: »
    New beginning for you?

Well ... we'll be closely watching you ...

Or you could PM me where you live -- I know where Sol X lived!

Now, Just because I can:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 588 of 650

Thanks. By the look of things, it appears the ex-dividend date is a carryover from pre-electronic trading. Today these trades could be (and may be) settled instantly.
  • Reply 589 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel58 View Post

Consider the anecdotal case of a child is a kleptomaniac or who displays extreme sadistic tendencies at a very early age without being abused or coerced. Do we then say that that is "another normal" because he/she seemed to have been "born that way"?

Or is it possible that just as how some people are born physically deformed others are born psychologically deformed and MAY benefit from at least the attempt of corrective therapy?

A kleptomaniac or sadist, by definition, harms others. A person with a physical deformity or disability is likely to want that to be corrected or mitigated. Neither is true for gay people.

• Reply 590 of 650
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That was a part of it, but a minor part. It surely wasn't the driving force behind the switch, but it definitely was an additional FU to those that make stupid comments about caring about post count. Just a couple days ago some asshat was saying that about me as his only defense when I answered some lame comment he made.

So how did you go about a "reboot"? The site frowns on multiple accounts.
  • Reply 591 of 650
    May I respectfully suggest, without being accused of being hateful or judgemental, that it doesn't have to be a case of making a choice or not.

I don't follow. How can it e anything but those two options? Either it's a choice or it's not. What other option is there? A noice?
    Consider the anecdotal case of a child is a kleptomaniac or who displays extreme sadistic tendencies at a very early age without being abused or coerced. Do we then say that that is "another normal" because he/she seemed to have been "born that way"?

Or is it possible that just as how some people are born physically deformed others are born psychologically deformed and MAY benefit from at least the attempt of corrective therapy?

Just a thought.

My apologies to anyone who may have been offended or felt insulted by my previous posts! that was certainly not my intention.

That defines brain activity that the child didn't choose. It could have nature or nurture (in the case of some injury).

PS: I don't think anyone reasonable will be offended by your comment.
  • Reply 592 of 650

Thanks. By the look of things, it appears the ex-dividend date is a carryover from pre-electronic trading. Today these trades could be (and may be) settled instantly.

I think that most brokers have a 3-business-day delay (the settlement date) after any trade (the trade date) in which you can change certain things ...

For example if you sell, say, 100 shares of APPL from a portfolio that contains 2,000 shares purchased over several years ...

During the 3-day delay you can change which shares were sold (FIFO, LIFO, MinTax) to have the tax consequences you desire -- long term; short term; loss, etc.
  • Reply 593 of 650
    sog35 wrote: »
    The cross is also pagan.
    The trinity is also pagan.
    Almost every single Catholic tradition has pagan roots.

I'm just saying it must be nice to celebrate Christmas but not have to go to Church.  Kinda like playing both sides.
    Clearly you don't understand Christianity. However this is not the place for this. Just understand it's not the symbols that are important it's what they mean. The cross to a Christian that's removed from Christ is like a stop sign no one obays. However I do agree some people use Christianity and other religions to excuse bigotry and predudice which I don't think any religion teaches if followed properly. All of them teach love and tolerance.
  • Reply 594 of 650
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    'Y' the hell not? I am my content, not my post count..

A touch of Tyler Durden there.
  • Reply 595 of 650
    gatorguy wrote: »
    So how did you go about a "reboot"? The site frowns on multiple accounts.

If you search 'SolipsismX' it reads 'user no longer exists'.
  • Reply 596 of 650
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If you search 'SolipsismX' it reads 'user no longer exists'.

Yeah I realize that but how do you go about setting up another account and deleting the old one? IIRC you can't typically delete an account here once it's set up. I ask because I'd be tempted to do the same.
  • Reply 597 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

A kleptomaniac or sadist, by definition, harms others. A person with a physical deformity or disability is likely to want that to be corrected or mitigated. Neither is true for gay people.

You missed the point by a loooong mile, arlomedia. I was merely posing the POSSIBILITY that certain apparent innate tendencies (or preferences) may not NECESSARILY be normal just because they are observed from an early age and have no apparent external causes.

Are you therefore saying that the only psychological disorders that should be treated are when others are harmed?

• Reply 598 of 650
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yeah I realize that but how do you go about setting up another account and deleting the old one? IIRC you can't typically delete an account here once it's set up. I ask because I'd be tempted to do the same.

I do not know. Ask Soli or one of the mods. Tallest Skil should know as well.
  • Reply 599 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Highly debatable. A fetus or embryo isn't a human being. 

Thanks for clearing that up! Now, Lord, if you would only grant us world peace!!!

• Reply 600 of 650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archangel58 View Post

You missed the point by a loooong mile, arlomedia. I was merely posing the POSSIBILITY that certain apparent innate tendencies (or preferences) may not NECESSARILY be normal just because they are observed from an early age and have no apparent external causes.

Are you therefore saying that the only psychological disorders that should be treated are when others are harmed?

Not really, but that's the only situation I can think of where it might be legitimate to compel another person to change. You seem concerned about defining what is "normal" for other people. Why not just let people live the way they want to live until it becomes a problem for others?