How Apple, Inc. went thermonuclear on Samsung, erasing Android's primary profit center

Comments

• Reply 281 of 315
    B
    fallenjt wrote: »
    If people want bigger screen iPhone, they wait. It's not food that you can't wait when starving. Btw, LG G3 isn't iPhone 6+. Many of ny android friends go back to iPhone for 1 reason: big screen.

Anecdotally I've seen plenty of people go to Andorid-based devices because target were swayed by less than accurate marketing and anti-Apple media that made them believe that Apple products were just about marketing with no advantages in HW, SW, or usability.

Do I have to say that most have come running back to Apple after a horrible experience with Android and its OEMs? What I find odd about this tale is they are all work in the computer industry. although it probably shouldnt be too surprising as they are all still Windows users at home and most of them still PC gamers.
  • Reply 282 of 315
    The htc 820 which has the same processor, a larger 5.5" screen and a larger 2600mA battery is rated.

"The handset measures 157.7x78.74x7.74mm and weighs 155 grams. The HTC Desire 820 packs a 2600mAh battery which is rated to deliver up to 22.4 hours (3G) of talk time and 424 hours (3G) of standby time"

So you can reasonably expect something similar from the oppo.
  • Reply 283 of 315
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

fki.ng ugly camera. 2000mAh on that 5.2" screen will last you 5 hrs. I bet that the performance on that phone is sh.tty.

At least it incorporates the use of liquid metal, unlike a well known company I could mention.  The processor is probably not as power hungry as you might think as it seems to adopt ARMs Big-Little tech, or something close to it.

• Reply 284 of 315
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    cnocbui wrote: »

At least it incorporates the use of liquid metal, unlike a well known company I could mention.  The processor is probably not as power hungry as you might think as it seems to adopt ARMs Big-Little tech, or something close to it.
    "Oppo has created a special cooling element made from liquid-metal and phase-change materials to take heat away from the chipset."

Weird. I thought Apple had an exclusive for phones. I guess not.
  • Reply 285 of 315
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    "Oppo has created a special cooling element made from liquid-metal and phase-change materials to take heat away from the chipset."

Unless Oppo had a deal to use it before Apple got the licensed it.
  • Reply 286 of 315
    The oppo r5 uses snapdragon 615 which is 28nm arm v8 Instruction set. Pretty similar to apples A7.
  • Reply 287 of 315
    sog35 wrote: »
    Please go back to Economics 101.

The goal of a business is to make profits.

Without profits Apple can not support iOS, OSX, their massive ecosytem, and R&D. 

Apple is not stupid.  Why the hell would they want to sell cheap phones/tablets/PC that make ZERO profits? 

I hope you were joking.

I think you need to look up Ubuntu. It's a new political movement that is a replacement for economics. It's snowballing in South Africa right now. They don't like the idea that I and others recieve a dividend/money from Apple while not contributing anything. Good luck to them.
  • Reply 288 of 315
    I think you need to look up Ubuntu. It's a new political movement that is a replacement for economics. It's snowballing in South Africa right now. They don't like the idea that I and others recieve a dividend/money from Apple while not contributing anything. Good luck to them.
    Ubuntu is built on a great OS, Linux, but is a shitty user experience.
  • Reply 289 of 315
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

You don't have to use Unity, a different desktop environments is only 1 line in the terminal away.  I personally use Mate which I believe to be a much better experience.

• Reply 290 of 315
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That only applies to LM made by a particular company.

• Reply 291 of 315
    patpatpat wrote: »

No, I believe you need to actually look up Ubuntu. It's a political party and may have some merits. They are putting their best minds on Linux right now. But the goal is to rid patents and make progress with every idea.

It's not a bad idea, but it has a way to go. They literally mean to remove money from the world. It would hurt me, but on a rumor site just imagine what you could make when every person had use of every idea that every human came up with.

Again, it's interesting. It would hurt me, but please look it up first. The original poster got it wrong because he was talking about profit. That is Ubuntu's biggest downfall. It can't seperate us from money.

Edit: I'll see what's going on after a while now that there are a lot more people getting involved with Linux. If nothing else the future should be very interesting.

In the end it will not be Linux. It will be another form. They also are about worki:\g for free energy. just like Tesla invented a long time ago. If nothing else I think Relic and Sol have some good stuff to read for a while.
  • Reply 292 of 315
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    No, I believe you need to actually look up Ubuntu. It's a political party and may have some merits. They are putting their best minds on Linux right now. But the goal is to rid patents and make progress with every idea.

It's not a bad idea, but it has a way to go. They literally mean to remove money from the world. It would hurt me, but on a rumor site just imagine what you could make when every person had use of every idea that every human came up with.

Again, it's interesting. It would hurt me, but please look it up first. The original poster got it wrong because he was talking about profit. That is Ubuntu's biggest downfall. It can't seperate us from money.

Edit: I'll see what's going on after a while now that there are a lot more people getting involved with Linux. If nothing else the future should be very interesting.

In the end it will not be Linux. It will be another form. They also are about worki:\g for free energy. just like Tesla invented a long time ago. If nothing else I think Relic and Sol have some good stuff to read for a while.

Though Ubuntu isn't my favorite distro I do appreciate their presence in the community. They are defiantly the driving force behind keeping Linux in the limelight. For me though Arch Linux all the way, I like having complete control over every detail of my installation, down to which libraries get installed. If my build is over 400MB than there is something wrong. I don't necessarily need to compile everything but I defiantly don't need the 1.5GB of extras that Ubuntu and other such distros think I do.
  • Reply 293 of 315
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Good article. Not entirely true, but it demonstrates how Samsung is totally incapable to understand the market. Thus their policy about the "throw all at the wall and watch what sticks".
  • Reply 294 of 315
    Haven't yet read this article, but I know I will enjoy it. Thermonuclear can only mean one man.

Let's all hope and pray that BendGate doesn't rear its ugly head in the coming months and that the Samsung serpent has been trodden on for good.
    Except bendgate doesn't even exist....
  • Reply 295 of 315
    lkrupp wrote: »

BendGate is over and done with. I have been specifically monitoring the Apple Discussion forums and user reports are few and far between. BendGate is the last ditch fantasy scenario of the iHater crowd, YouTube videos not withstanding. I don’t understand why you keep harping about it. No one else is.

Correct. On YouTube you could basically demonstrate an house can fly.
    Bend gate was a poor attempt to bash a successful product, ignited by haters and I suspect sponsored by competitors.
    Still have to see an iPhone bends by itself in a pocket.
  • Reply 296 of 315
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    So just to be clear then you believe if the percentage of "Large" devices goes up it becomes proof that Apple's iPhone was ineffectual in stealing away Android handset sales?

That chart just does not say what you think it does Soli. Do you believe there's been a growing demand for "Large" display handsets this year? If you went solely by Google's distribution chart you wouldn't think so. Here's the one from March.

Gee, that same 7.7%, So the iPhone 6 and 6+ sales were already having an impact 6 months ago? :\

Apple has so far been ineffectual in stealing large Android phone users to the new iPhones. There is always a chance that that could be propped up 7" tablets or that the number taken from the other categories pushed the large category up but that seems very unlikely to me. Of course, this is a marathon and we'll see how this proceeds over time. Remember, Blackberry saw record sales for a couple years after the iPhone was introduced despite their fate having been sealed.

• Reply 297 of 315
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Apple has so far been ineffectual in stealing large Android phone users to the new iPhones. There is always a chance that that could be propped up 7" tablets or that the number taken from the other categories pushed the large category up but that seems very unlikely to me. Of course, this is a marathon and we'll see how this proceeds over time. Remember, Blackberry saw record sales for a couple years after the iPhone was introduced despite their fate having been sealed.

Apple doesn't have to "steal" Android users, albeit many who really wanted iOS will be happy to return to the Apple fold. All Apple had to do is make the transition to wider portfolio of iPhones selling in higher volumes and maintain its ASP which it likely has. Today, Apple is capturing some 86% of industry profits, most of that increase comes courtesy of Samsung, since in fact most of the other Android OEM's are losing money or making very small profits.

Samsung selling more units at lower ASP's accounts for its 70% drop in profits from its smartphones. Still good profits, though most likely the sales volume will be no defense against the Chinese OEM's that are competing with it. Things might get worse for Samsung, but I doubt that it will displace them from the number two slot of profitability.

• Reply 298 of 315
    plovellplovell Posts: 826member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Things might get worse for Samsung, but I doubt that it will displace them from the number two slot of profitability.

Rather depressing for them however is that there are presently only two slots. So "number two" ==  "last"

The "get worse" might be that in a while there's only one slot.

• Reply 299 of 315
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tmay wrote: »
    Apple doesn't have to "steal" Android users, albeit many who really wanted iOS will be happy to return to the Apple fold. All Apple had to do is make the transition to wider portfolio of iPhones selling in higher volumes and maintain its ASP which it likely has. Today, Apple is capturing some 86% of industry profits, most of that increase comes courtesy of Samsung, since in fact most of the other Android OEM's are losing money or making very small profits.

Samsung selling more units at lower ASP's accounts for its 70% drop in profits from its smartphones. Still good profits, though most likely the sales volume will be no defense against the Chinese OEM's that are competing with it. Things might get worse for Samsung, but I doubt that it will displace them from the number two slot of profitability.

Yet that's exactly what Tim Cook is hoping for

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/10/tim-cook-thinks-android-users-will-switch-to-the-iphone-6/

Growth at this point is going to happen by taking from another. I personally know quite a few people that left iOS for Android because they wanted a bigger screen. Those people didn't leave overnight, and winning them back won't either.
  • Reply 300 of 315
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yet that's exactly what Tim Cook is hoping for

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/10/tim-cook-thinks-android-users-will-switch-to-the-iphone-6/

Growth at this point is going to happen by taking from another. I personally know quite a few people that left iOS for Android because they wanted a bigger screen. Those people didn't leave overnight, and winning them back won't either.

They might even see a temporary boost as the company and/or product with the most mindshare often affects everyone else in that market with a similar-type product. Google Wallet got a boost from ?Pay and Blackberry got a very long boost from the iPhone.