Samsung wins contract to build 14-nanometer Apple 'A9' chips - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    The future is out of samsung
  • Reply 82 of 98
    How convenient, they cannot say more. Again Baloney. There is no NDA because there is nothing. What was said was 'once', he is not lying. If (once) apple signs-up they will be profitable, meantime because of this the stock should be pushed higher. After all There are lots of pension funds money controlled by the venerable gentlemen of WS, that can be thrown samsung's way while thebanks buy calls and sell puts.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Shocking if it comes to pass. I don't thnk most people understand how badly Intel fumbled 14 nm.

A little edit here. The other big thing is that Apple has some very high transistor density in A8 so they may already be close to competitive with Intel.

Yep. Intel has had a fab process advantage over the universe for as long as I can remember. I wonder if they will retain the lead with the next fab after this, or if the gap is bound to close. 

• Reply 84 of 98
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His constant lies insult me.

Disproving your posts are not lies even though you may feel insulted as a result.

• Reply 85 of 98
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Because they haven't been abusive. Remember different divisions here. On top of that the semiconductor relationship with Apple has been a very very successful one. They have literally kept Apple at the forefront tif ARM technology since the arrival of the first iPhone.
    Since when has Sansung copied an Apple SoC. They never have. In fact Apple and Samsung teamed up for the first few designs.

How much did Samsung pay you to say they jointly with Apple designed the first iPhones ?
    OK if your a Samsung employee they pay you well.

As for Samsung keeping Apple in the forefront of ARM tech, try again! ARM is not Samsung's design, they are just the manufacturer, following instructions from ARM and Apple. But that sure gave the Samsung phone division an in to Apple's next phones; no one in their right mind would believe that the Samsung phone div didn't get tips from their phone hardware div.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    josha wrote: »
    How much did Samsung pay you to say they jointly with Apple designed the first iPhones ?
    Do you have any idea what the history of Apple and Samsung is with respect to the SoC in the cell phone. IPhones first couple of chips where largely Samsung designs with Apple slowly adding their own IP in later models. In fact Apple bought Intrinsity due to the low power designs they helped Samsung with. They also bought PA Semi to beef up the in house design team.

As for Samsung keeping Apple in the forefront of ARM tech, try again! ARM is not Samsung's design, they are just the manufacturer, following instructions from ARM and Apple.
    Do you have any ability at all to read for content? It is Samsungs manufacturing capacity that has kept Apple at the fore front of ARM design. If it wasn't for Samsungs ability quickly move its process capability forward Apple would not have been able to deliver the last few "A" series chip advancements.
    But that sure gave the Samsung phone division an in to Apple's next phones; no one in their right mind would believe that the Samsung phone div didn't get tips from their phone hardware div.

Again if theat was so we would see it in Samsungs products. All their copying has happened after Apple has released product and one of that has involved any Sansung built SoC for Apple. Again you seem to miss the most important point here, Sansung buys the vast majority of its SoC from Qualcomm.
  • Reply 87 of 98
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    josha wrote: »

I believe he was referring to the "Hummingbird" CPUs that were in the early iphone models. And he is quite right, they developed them together. There is usually a large amount of cooperation between fab and customer. Especially with leading edge SOCs like Apples A-series CPUs.

Even though there is reason to be cautious, there is no evidence that Samsungs foundry division has leaked or share anything to Samsungs mobile phone division.

While Samsung shamelessly copied the iphone, it was their mobile division that did it. And they mostly copied interface elements.

Samsung is a huge conglomerate. They've been one for decades, and they're smart enough to know the billion dollar profits they're seeing from their mobile phone division is a lightning in a bottle. It's a temporary, passing phenomenon and in five years they'll either break even on cellphones, or will be out of that business entirely.

Their CPU and memory foundries however, will continue to make them billions in both 5 and 10 years. It's not as sexy or public facing as phones, but it's a very stable, very profitable business.

In the end, Samsung the conglomerate will make more money selling parts to Apple, than they will trying to compete with Apple. They know this, and that's why Apple can trust Samsungs foundry with their CPU secrets.
  • Reply 88 of 98

I am always been a huge fan of apple products and with there's amazing updates is software and hardware, It prevent me not lose the interest from apple products.

• Reply 89 of 98

I didn't know Samsung was doing Apple's processors.

• Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterChat View Post

I didn't know Samsung was doing Apple's processors.

It's a challenge to make huge numbers of computing devices without a few Samsung parts.

• Reply 91 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    It's a challenge to make huge numbers of computing devices without a few Samsung parts.

I never knew about the Russian connection till I read this article in Forbes:

... " In 2009 BusinessWeek reported that Samsung relied on its relationships with Russian experts for its smartphone software development, adding:

Russian brains helped Samsung develop the image-processing chips in its digital TVs and refine its frequency-filtering technology that significantly reduced noise on its now-ubiquitous handsets.

But a second effect of the relationship with Russian science was the introduction of TRIZ, an innovation method that Samsung adopted from 2000 onwards but which only reached American companies from the mid-2000s onwards (Intel is a user)."

from Forbes article humorously entitled (I assume the left of the /s by accident) "What Makes Samsung Such An Innovative Company?

: http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2013/03/07/why-is-samsung-such-an-innovative-company/2/
  • Reply 92 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I never knew about the Russian connection till I read this article in Forbes:

... " In 2009 BusinessWeek reported that Samsung relied on its relationships with Russian experts for its smartphone software development, adding:

Russian brains helped Samsung develop the image-processing chips in its digital TVs and refine its frequency-filtering technology that significantly reduced noise on its now-ubiquitous handsets.

But a second effect of the relationship with Russian science was the introduction of TRIZ, an innovation method that Samsung adopted from 2000 onwards but which only reached American companies from the mid-2000s onwards (Intel is a user)."

from Forbes article humorously entitled (I assume the left of the /s by accident) "What Makes Samsung Such An Innovative Company?

: http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2013/03/07/why-is-samsung-such-an-innovative-company/2/

That's really interesting. I guess they're innovative for coming up with the Russian connection, at least.

• Reply 93 of 98
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That's really interesting. I guess they're innovative for coming up with the Russian connection, at least.

Innovation comes from (in part) taking what is known and applying it in new ways. This is something Apple is very good at also. Much progress has been made in the world by some guy saying hey couldn't we use this widget in a novel way to solve our problem.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Innovation comes from (in part) taking what is known and applying it in new ways. This is something Apple is very good at also. Much progress has been made in the world by some guy saying hey couldn't we use this widget in a novel way to solve our problem.

Or in taking existing tech and making it convenient enough that people want to spend money to use it.

The iPod is the perfect example.  People were ripping and trading MP3s for a while, and there were already some portable MP3 players.  Apple's big innovation was the scroll-wheel (which later became the touch-wheel and then click-wheel) and tight integration with iTunes (which was previously only used for rip-mix-burn and playing music from your computer.)  Those two features were enough that they ran the competition out of the market, even though the first iPods were more expensive, had less capacity and less battery life than the competition, and would only work on Macs.

• Reply 95 of 98
    mechanic wrote: »

TSMC just bought a chip foundry in upstate new york.  If that helps your allegiance.

They don't want to feel left out seeing as Global Foundries with IBM, and more have targeted > $20 Billion in the Malta Complex.

Global Foundries is buying IBM's Semiconductor business for $2 Billion and it appears the Burlington VT Manufacturing [4k staff] is going to add more resources to GlobalFoundries Fab options.

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/ibms-vermont-fab-wont-die-with-globalfoundries-deal/61929/

GF is going all in on the Malta 1400 acre Fab 8 site: http://blog.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/globalfoundries-wants-tech-park-rezoned/22206/

The Utica Nanotech Institute is an interesting situation. Hector Ruiz, the founder of AMD is investing > $1 billion with his Advanced Nanotechnology Solutions Inc. of Austin, Texas corporation and now it appears GF is going to join in.

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/is-globalfoundries-becoming-part-of-nano-utica/61345/

Note the many hints dropped in these articles.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The 14nm FinFET taps Samsung and it's exclusive partnership with GlobalFoundries which together are stamping out the 14nm FinFET LPE.

And yet the latest news ( rumors ) is that Samsung 14nm has been delayed and yield wasn't as good as planned, and TSMC 16nm+ has moved forward by a quarter.

You need a reliable partner to Fab SoC, and GF surely isn't in the reliable category, not now, not in 10nm.

Samsung 14nm will bring ~1x% die shrink compared to TSMC 20nm. While TSMC 16nm+ is all about performance and power consumption.

• Reply 97 of 98
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ??????

Is that the comment that you think got him banned?
    Nope. Just wanted to show "banned", not the comment
  • Reply 98 of 98

hello 

welcome to this forums site .this is a automobile forums site . we know that nowadays condition  drive are unsafe than we use the precaution for driving. today are generation hardly use the automobiles .nowadays technology is must.