Apple updates French website to show support for Charlie Hebdo after deadly terrorist attack

Comments

• Reply 81 of 274
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

He's so right. 

He is indeed. I researched the topic myself more than a decade ago, and came to the same findings that he did.

• Reply 82 of 274
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You're clearly not a fundamentalist but what were you taught is the penalty for apostasy in school??  If Sharia conditions are met, do you reject: stoning women to death for committing adultery? the belief that Jews are in any way sub-human and if not, do you reject Quranic interpretations that claim they are? Do you reject the killing gays and those edicts in Sharia which claim it is? Do you reject interpretations in Islamic Law, for “Ma-Malkakat Aymanikum”, which justifies enslavement & sex with women prisoners?

Majority of Muslims are not fundamentalists. Regarding your questions I can tell that you read these things somewhere and didn't even bother to research them. The penalty for apostasy is not specified in the Quran. In extreme circumstances the punishment can be death since it is considered treason. The adultery punishment applied to men AND women by the way. Where the hell did you read in the Quran that Jews are "sub-human"?! And where in the Quran did you read that homosexuals should be be punished by death? You clearly don't know what "Ma-Malkakat Aymanikum” is. Sex outside of marriage and enslavement is not allowed under any circumstances in Islam.

As Muslims we are expected for follow our faith laws just like citizens are expected to follow their countries laws. We can turn this into a religious debate but I am not interested in that. If you are then I suggest you go to your local mosque and talk to the people there.

• Reply 83 of 274
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Religion is not the problem. Fear is the problem. Without fear people would be free to think and practice and say what they liked. Fear is the only real enemy. Fear is why people kill and fear is why others can't handle it when it happens. Be positive in your life despite what's going on in the world and the world will be that little bit better. Murder is always going to happen in this world the point here is to let murder be the problem of the fearful and not of the living. This is a reminder to all of us that life is fleeting and short and to make the most of us while we are here.

Actually religion is the problem. I'm nuanced enough to distinguish between the actions of a few extermists and those of the broader muslim faith. However the existence of moderate religion conveys a sense of legitimacy to the spectrum of thinking upon which fundamentalism resides. Moderate religion also serves up a convenient garden from which extremist groups pluck young, fertile minds primed for unquestioning, anti-intellectual thinking.

Religion simply clogs up the gears of society with at best meaningless pontification, and at worst the kinds of atrocities of human life.

The appropriate personal response is to commit ourselves to humanitarian secularism, which is the only common interface through which can will ever hope to solve many of the world's problems.

• Reply 84 of 274
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Writing from Sydney, Australia where we experienced our own 'Islamic Terrorism' a few weeks ago, it tends to be perpetrated by immigrant minorities who feel they have been marginalized by society. They then attach their crimes to an Islamic flag as some kind of justification for their actions.

• Reply 85 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I fear it's only a matter of time before this kind of thing (group of Islamic extremists with military-grade weapons doing rampant shooting on street) happens in other European cities, or even the US.

IS must be rubbing their hands with joy when they saw what a few could do to the metropolitan city protected by polices with only handguns. It's way easier than taking Kobani for sure. And anyone did it will be way more famous.

I have to say that I was somewhat surprised as to how unprepared the police were to protect Charlie Hebdo. All the threats, the firebombing... and one cop outside with a handgun. In my world he would have been inside a bullet proof and damn near bomb proof box. Anyone coming or going would have had to go by that box and then enter through a two gate system controlled by that cop. (or something to that affect). I'll be even more surprised if things don't change in that regard.

• Reply 86 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Actually religion is the problem. I'm nuanced enough to distinguish between the actions of a few extermists and those of the broader muslim faith. However the existence of moderate religion conveys a sense of legitimacy to the spectrum of thinking upon which fundamentalism resides. Moderate religion also serves up a convenient garden from which extremist groups pluck young, fertile minds primed for unquestioning, anti-intellectual thinking.

Religion simply clogs up the gears of society with at best meaningless pontification, and at worst the kinds of atrocities of human life.

The appropriate personal response is to commit ourselves to humanitarian secularism, which is the only common interface through which can will ever hope to solve many of the world's problems.

Okay... I have to agree... but that sure aint going to happen overnight.

If what you are saying is true (extremist groups plucking the young), and I'm quite sure it is... then what is the solution now. Hell, it just takes one scumbag to recruit a dozen more. You kill 30 and 50 more pop up. This will go on for eternity.

I think the moderates will eventually win... out of preservation if nothing else... but that is going to take a lot of time. Well, at least I'm sure it won't happen in my lifetime.

• Reply 87 of 274
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

BTW, is this true?

• Reply 88 of 274
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Nice gesture, but without action by the French it'll mean nothing. Start deportations now and don't allow more Muslims into your country. And for all of you gay marriage supporters, these "peaceful Muslims" are the most murderous haters of gays in the world.
  • Reply 89 of 274
    mulkmulk Posts: 2member
    By diplaying "Je suis Charlie", Apple pretend to fight for freedom speech... but Apple never do such thing and did the opposite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Apple
    best example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Apple#Pulitzer_Prize_winning_cartoons

So what now? How feels Apple people by using such symbol on the front but always splitting on it on backstage?
  • Reply 90 of 274
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member

• Reply 91 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I disagree. It is a good strategy to create more extremists, because that brings certain ones out of the closet. The more extremists, the better, because that only validates what certain people have been saying all along.

Get some help for your closeted anger.
  • Reply 92 of 274
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    dunks wrote: »

That's a complete crock. Without religion these cowards would still find a way to justify their actions. People ultimately kill because they are afraid. Fear is the killer. Religion is just the excuse in this case.
  • Reply 93 of 274
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even though I think that Bill Maher is a weasly, little liberal and I refuse to watch his show, even though I have HBO, he is correct in this statement:

Bill Maher didn’t hold back Wednesday night, blasting “hundreds of millions” of the world’s Muslims for allegedly supporting the Islamic terrorist massacre of cartoonists, writers, and editors at a Parisian satirical magazine that has mocked the Prophet Muhammad.

That's right, hundreds of millions. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/08/bill-maher-hundreds-of-millions-of-muslims-support-attack-on-charlie-hebdo.html

These throwbacks emanate their moronic concepts from the 5th century.In essence they are sick!

• Reply 94 of 274
    To bad that Apple didn't support Charlie Hebdo in the App Store... Why don't you mention this asw well..
  • Reply 95 of 274
    solipsismy wrote: »
    And you lost me. What do you think I was referring to if not a ruling -- I am not sure about the legality -- for the (true) followers of Islam?

Your definition seems to imply that fatwa is a death threat.

Your response seems to suggest that you're incapable of discerning context, and like to nitpick. (I think can reasonably guess what your response to this will be, if you do respond).
  • Reply 96 of 274

Who cares. That was irrelevant to my point.
    Let's just get this terminology out of the way. A "Fatwa" isn't a call for death or a call for war. It's a legal ruling in Islam so calling for a fatwa would be inappropriate in this case as near as I understand it.

http://www.islamicsupremecouncil.org/understanding-islam/legal-rulings/44-what-is-a-fatwa.html

A condemnation would be the more relevant choice of action of which there have been many by those practicing Islam.

You just provided the same link as I did a few posts ago. Big whoop.

I am talking about the self-proclaimed Islamic religious leaders who see fit to issue death sentence fatwas all the time. And the numerous followers who take them seriously and act upon them.

I am simply asking, where are the similar fatwas against those who are dragging your religion through the mud? Why don't such acts by depraved people result in death sentence fatwas, when a cartoonist or novelist is apparently is deemed worthy of it? Is it fear? Apathy? Secret admiration for these despicable thugs? Indifference? What is your assessment?
  • Reply 97 of 274
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a complete crock. Without religion these cowards would still find a way to justify their actions. People ultimately kill because they are afraid. Fear is the killer. Religion is just the excuse in this case.

That's worse crock. There is no way that one can justify a silly counterfactual assertion like that. 

• Reply 98 of 274
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Writing from Sydney, Australia where we experienced our own 'Islamic Terrorism' a few weeks ago, it tends to be perpetrated by immigrant minorities who feel they have been marginalized by society. They then attach their crimes to an Islamic flag as some kind of justification for their actions.

That is incredibly insulting and condescending to marginalized immigrants. Are marginalized Filipinos in your country attaching crimes to Christian 'flags'? Marginalized Indians to Hindu flags? Marginalized Chinese to Confucian flags? Marginalized Sri Lankans to Buddhist flags?

• Reply 99 of 274
    Quote:

I just wish you had something original or interesting to say. I love that you've resulted to calling me a bigot. LOL all over the place.

Yes, standing up for women's rights, gay rights, freedom of expression against a fascist ideology makes me a bigot. Nice try! More reading about world issues, less reading about Apple might be a good prescription!

If you did even a microscopic amount of reading any of the public intellectuals I've mentioned to judge for yourself, you might get an inkling for this "solution."

This... from Mr. Original himself... spouting the same old crap taken from theyareallbadpeopleandIamgoingtotellmymom.com.

Tarring the entire group with the same negative brush without having a clue about the religion. This is what happens when people get all of their information from the internet. (if you don't believe me then take a look at some of the sources given by this person... Ask Dr. Brown for instance... a member of the new radical right. ... and allmypeople says they are a liberal) 

Whine whine whine but still no solution, I see. 

• Reply 100 of 274
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Your response seems to suggest that you're incapable of discerning context, and like to nitpick. (I think can reasonably guess what your response to this will be, if you do respond).

I stated what I thought your context was implying. If you weren't asserting that fatwa mean a decree to murder then when did you mean by it?

ireland wrote:
    That's worse crock. There is no way that one can justify a silly counterfactual assertion like that.

You really think that Islam is the root of people doing harm to each other, not simply fearful people raised in a warped, fearful environment? If so, how do you explain all the atrocities committed by man that were not Islamic fundamentalists?

Anecdotally, I've been around the world and I've seen the same people everywhere I go. There are people who take advantage of others, people who care for strangers that can do nothing for them, people that are afraid of anything different, and people are fascinated in anything different. I have seen no connection that religion (or lack thereof) makes one better or worse for society.